BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
Age Verification
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
So there are two sets of criteria used in tournaments for age, my opinion - they both stink.
1- Graduation Year, this seems like a good idea until one takes into account the kids held back a year - and in youth sports that does make a big difference.
2- The U system. Why USALax uses every other year is beyond me. Causes the same issue as Grad year. Plus why make the cut off August?

And what is actually done to enforce these age requirements anyway? Nothing of substance!
I know this topic is mentioned on nearly every tournament result forum page. I guess nobody at USALax pays attention or cares enough to listen - as long as we keep up the membership dues. Not playing is not an option - hurts the kids. Playing also can hurt the kids. The U system breaks the boys apart from their friends. My suggestion would be to go by original grad year & supply id cards. It's really not rocket science.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Age Verification
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the 91 teams take a beating at beachlax this past weekend and you want to change the rules?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I recognize that NY is December 1, but the September 1 date aligns with the cutoff for schools here in Va, and I am told that of most other states.
As for every year v. every other year age ranges, it has to do with numbers. Clubs in non-hotbed areas struggle to form teams at a single age, and would not be competitive.
Overall, the current system seems to be antiquated. As sport has grown, it would make sense to have clubs governed by a single authority, charged with rules, ages, insurance, etc. USLacrosse needs to step up and respond faster to the evolving issues

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 teams didn't take a beating. So I don't know where your getting that info.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This thread was not intended to discuss the merits or outcomes of 91 or any other club for that matter.

VaLaxDad makes a good point about age cut off outside of NY, which is why the U system is used in other sports - but two year groupings is not adequate. It wouldn't be that difficult for USLacrosse to come up with a standard that matches the majority of the population for youth lacrosse. Current system is not working and needs to be addressed.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
US lacrosse needs to go to single year9u 10u 11u 12u13u 14u 15u. If you go grade only teams will stack their team with play back kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most events are independently operated. US Lacrosse set guidelines that fit the events that they run. Not every team plays in their events, so identification cards issued from US Lax with D.O.B and current grade would be the best answer. It will give proof that can be used at any event. Should not be that hard, they could have an option to upload a picture during the registration process. When it comes in the mail you have the id card ready to go.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Yes, that would be a great start. USlacrosse also issues supplemental insurance for most (all?) events that I have been to--they could simply refuse to insure events that don't comply.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ID cards WITH PICTURE ID, verified by Birth Certificate. You own the card - if you play with XYZ team and do not have your card you do not play, if next weekend you play with ABC team don't have your card, you don't play - no ticky no shirty....Takes all of 2 minutes to check a team in (before each game) and make even more simple..go by US Hockey ages, 99's play with 99's, 98s play with 98's...it is pretty simple - BUT US Lacrosse will not step up...it is very sad for the governing body not to act at all...they MUST have pull with the insurance companies that insure these tourneys independent or otherwise...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by VaLaxDad
Yes, that would be a great start. USlacrosse also issues supplemental insurance for most (all?) events that I have been to--they could simply refuse to insure events that don't comply.

In my experience the insurance just askes the organizer to require each player is/has a US lacrosse # and waivers are filled out, but as a player if you do not have them you are still able to run the event without being liable. The onus is on the teams to provide you not for you to demand to collect it. I wish all coaches knew that one. Because truly under law if their player causes an issue or is hurt the coach is the responsible party.

So all you daddy coaches beware.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's make it simple. Every player has an ID. Just like soccer does.

No more sneaking kids on teams or lying needed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Totally agree!! US Lacrosse needs to make it happen.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

AMEN TO THAT!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not sure if they ( US Lacrosse) have the infrastructure to take on this monumental task. They should start offering the service at the convention fan fest, NCAA final 4 etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not sure if they ( US Lacrosse) have the infrastructure to take on this monumental task. They should start offering the service at the convention fan fest, NCAA final 4 etc.

Give or take $13,000,000 a year in dues should be a heck of a place to start

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer does it. You have money for travel. You have money to implement id's

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Give or take $13,000,000 a year in dues should be a heck of a place to start
Is that seriously what they earn?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not sure BOC wants to have a topic dedicated to this topic. It will take 90% of the posts away from other topics. It really is ridiculous how every age group and tournament topic posts continually about supposed age violations.

Part of the problem is that there are too many groups following different age groups and different cutoffs. 12/1 vs 9/1. 2020 vs U13, etc. I have to believe most people are following the league rules, but when it comes to tournaments and inter-league contests, the differences are obvious in the performance levels and the complaining starts.

USL really should start certifying every league and tournament and in order to be certified, they must follow the single year USL birthday cutoffs:

Birthdate Age Bracket
9/1/1997 – 9/1/1998 U15
9/1/1998 - 9/1/1999 U14
9/1/1999 - 9/1/2000 U13
9/1/2000 - 9/1/2001 U12
9/1/2001 – 9/1/2002 U11
9/1/2002 - 9/1/2003 U10
9/1/2003 - 9/1/2004 U9

Steve Stenersen of USL posted this response on another site…..
“The problem with grade-based segmentation in youth sports is, of course, that it's not in the best interests of kids. The different rates of physical and cognitive development at each age varies widely so, in contact sport like boys' lacrosse, it's simply not safe to allow kids of such varying ages and development levels to compete against each other. Nor does it reinforce the fundamental principles of fair play and fun that are essential to player retention in youth sports. Allowing the club "system" and associated recruiting events to determine what's best for your child is not only a clear conflict of interest...it's a tremendous abdication of responsibility by the primary consumers of a child's lacrosse experience - parents. As most people should know by now, sport-specialization at an early age, year-round play, and the belief that playing more games is essential to player development are all myths. Sport specialization and year-round play burn kids out, drive them out of sport at too early an age, and lead to what has become an epidemic of overuse injuries in developing bodies. And, contrary to popular belief, playing more games doesn't make a player better; too often it simply reinforces bad habits because the quality of coaching offered by club teams is so inconsistent. It's incredibly ironic that peer pressure among parents plays such a significant role in the decisions they make on behalf of their kids...as does fear of retribution against their children from club programs and their coaches. That fear, alone, should trigger a serious concern. Sadly, parental ego also plays a role at times. But none of those are justifiable excuses for parents to allow and enable the youth lacrosse "industry" to make decisions based on its own interests...not those of the children they are paid to best serve. The single biggest factor in determining a child's success on the athletic field is genetics, not how much you play or pay. The overwhelming majority of kids who play club lacrosse and attend recruiting events won't get a college scholarship or admissions preference to play lacrosse in college. Most won't even play at the high school level. Club programs and tournaments are not inherently bad, but they need to be held accountable to what's best for your child. In a free market economy, it's up to the consumer - us parents - to make that happen. Or not.”

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What are you talking about sneaking kids on teams? Who are you to say my son cant play in a tournament any weekend he is free from his Travel or town team.

I agree, an Id system is a good idea but not to limit the players, just protect them. Many players play for their town teams that travels and those same boys are involved with various travel organizations. Many times these same boys will play with friends they have made along the way at the spur of the moment.

Why dont you think this should be allowed, why cant players be able to do this? You say sneak a player on. These travel teams do not play in a league. Until they d,o any player can play on as many teams as he doesn't have a conflict with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. Kids should be allowed to change teams so long as they are not too old. However, I think that all tournaments should not allow kids to play on more then one team. That would stop the older kid from playing down or the "A" kid from helping out his program's "B" team.

What are you talking about sneaking kids on teams? Who are you to say my son cant play in a tournament any weekend he is free from his Travel or town team.

I agree, an Id system is a good idea but not to limit the players, just protect them. Many players play for their town teams that travels and those same boys are involved with various travel organizations. Many times these same boys will play with friends they have made along the way at the spur of the moment.

Why dont you think this should be allowed, why cant players be able to do this? You say sneak a player on. These travel teams do not play in a league. Until they d,o any player can play on as many teams as he doesn't have a conflict with.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For every team you play. You pay for membership. enough dropping varsity players down at tournaments to help jv. Enough bending the rules. Guess it's worth teaching kids to be corrupt because most careers are these days. Way to go strong island. When you can't win on your own merit. Cheat

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For every team you play. You pay for membership. enough dropping varsity players down at tournaments to help jv. Enough bending the rules. Guess it's worth teaching kids to be corrupt because most careers are these days. Way to go strong island. When you can't win on your own merit. Cheat

By far this is not a Long Island only issue, by even stating that shows your ignorance. The issue at hand is can we parents band together and make a change to the systems. Are we willing to contact the clubs, the tournament organizers & the USLacrosse to address this problem.

Lax is getting to be big business. It's time the overseeing authorities makes a stand to correct this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow I think that is drastic. For every team you play you pay. How about, I register for a child and from that the tournament/teams know who my son is.

Summer Sizzle put out a magazine (for lack of a better word) that shows all the rosters - you can check who you are playing had town and HS grad yr. All tournaments should do this so you can self police. But I am sure there is a cost.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
http://www.uslacrosse.org/about-us-lacrosse/contact-us.aspx

Lets tell USLacrosse and see what happens. Seems like most people want to go single year and be given a vehicle (like an ID card) to validate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

By far this is not a Long Island only issue, by even stating that shows your ignorance. The issue at hand is can we parents band together and make a change to the systems. Are we willing to contact the clubs, the tournament organizers & the USLacrosse to address this problem.

Lax is getting to be big business. It's time the overseeing authorities makes a stand to correct this.

My son's team is playing in the U-15 National Championship and I had to upload his birth certificate for age verification on the US Lacrosse site....so they have the technology......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets tell USLacrosse and see what happens. Seems like most people want to go single year and be given a vehicle (like an ID card) to validate.

I filled out the request for the review age guidelines. Everyone who thinks this should be reviewed, go fill it out. Perhaps we can actually enact some positive change. And maybe for transition purposes tournaments run ones like Aloha does. Age based and grade based until every goes to age.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

My son's team is playing in the U-15 National Championship and I had to upload his birth certificate for age verification on the US Lacrosse site....so they have the technology......

But that's the only tournament I know that does that. It's good to know the technology is there but I have yet to see it in widespread use. Even two years ago when my daughter went to U15s, we just handed a copy of the birth cert to her coach.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This is the type of positive action I intended to come from this post - well done. Please, if you think this is an important issue - follow suit and post that you did it. Tell your friends that are concerned to do the same.

I filled out the request for the review age guidelines. Everyone who thinks this should be reviewed, go fill it out. Perhaps we can actually enact some positive change. And maybe for transition purposes tournaments run ones like Aloha does. Age based and grade based until every goes to age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just did it! You all should too!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just did it! You all should too!

Good stuff. At the very least I hope it will be reviewed and taken under advisement. Interestingly nothing negative on this thread. So that leads me to believe everyone wants this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard people actually sign up for US LAX and use a fake birthdate so when they register for tournaments like TRi State check it appears kid is age eligible.

Need a better system or someone to get seriously hurt before change is made.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard people actually sign up for US LAX and use a fake birthdate so when they register for tournaments like TRi State check it appears kid is age eligible.

Need a better system or someone to get seriously hurt before change is made.

I did that! you don't need o provide any proof. I actually did it so my son could try out for an older team and I didn't want them to know he was younger, but I'm sure it works both ways.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all the talk about teams adding older players, I would have thought this topic would be on fire with people posting that they notified USLacrosse and want them to address this. I guess people just like to complain and not do anything about it. Really how hard is it to send an email?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I think that tournament organizers should spot check teams against the rosters they registered their teams with. If a kid is on the field and not on the roster, team is asked to leave tournament immediately and forfeit their games. Might stop teams from stacking their roster after they find out who they are scheduled to play in tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all the talk about teams adding older players, I would have thought this topic would be on fire with people posting that they notified USLacrosse and want them to address this. I guess people just like to complain and not do anything about it. Really how hard is it to send an email?

I am a father of a boy that currently plays for a 2020 team. He's a very strong player but born later in the year (August). So next year my wife and I decided that we are going to hold him back and repeat 6th grade again, purely for athletic reasons. He's an excellent student also, but he will now dominate in the 6th grade for the 2015 season. It's within the current US Lacrosse age guidelines so anyone that doesn't like this move can suck it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maturity and scholastic's are reasons to have your son repeat. Athletics = you're a tool. Get your head out of your butt. You are not doing your son any service.

I am a father of a boy that currently plays for a 2020 team. He's a very strong player but born later in the year (August). So next year my wife and I decided that we are going to hold him back and repeat 6th grade again, purely for athletic reasons. He's an excellent student also, but he will now dominate in the 6th grade for the 2015 season. It's within the current US Lacrosse age guidelines so anyone that doesn't like this move can suck it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is very sad. sacrificing academics for the sake of trying to get an advantage in a recreational sport. If he is a good student, how will the school allow you to make that decision? Very sad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maturity and scholastic's are reasons to have your son repeat. Athletics = you're a tool. Get your head out of your butt. You are not doing your son any service.

And if he gets a scholarship as a result? Playing devils advocate, but if it is an ends to means.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous I am a father of a boy that currently plays for a 2020 team. He's a very strong player but born later in the year (August). So next year my wife and I decided that we are going to hold him back and repeat 6th grade again, purely for athletic reasons. He's an excellent student also, but he will now dominate in the 6th grade for the 2015 season. It's within the current US Lacrosse age guidelines so anyone that doesn't like this move can suck it. [/quote]

Yeah baby! Your "7th grader" is going to dominate those little 6th grade "suckers". Just don't let your son know that he "sucked" on age because it just might have the opposite effect that your gaming is hoping to achieve. Oh, and I hope he stays focused on his academics because that's the best avenue to achieving his dreams.

Best of luck. Your family needs it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Scholarships are a pipe dream, yes they are out there, but for any given kid, the chances are very, very slim. If your kid is good enough to qualify, then I don't think a year either way is going to make a difference.

Have a friend who's son was recruited as a sophomore from a top club to a D1 school (winner of multiple national championships) - and he only got a partial scholarship.

Take all your club fees, private lesson and clinic fees, along with the money spent for gas, food, and hotels, for all of those tournaments over the 6-8 years that you do this, put that money in and index fund, there's your scholarship.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard