Reposted on behalf of Dave Kotowski and Team Elevate.
BOTC asks that if you enjoy reading our forums and have even a small amount to give, please do reach out to Dave and support the Holiday Magic efforts. Thank you in advance. Happy Holidays!
To the entire Lacrosse Community,
For the last few years my family, my friends and our girls from Team Elevate have been working with Charlie Russo and his charity Holiday Magic.
The charity started out as a small way to take care of a few kids who needed help from Santa Claus many years ago. Last year, we delivered presents to over 7,500 homeless kids on Long Island. Yes, the number is correct – SEVEN THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED. The last few years have been very hard for so many and due to the economy, the homeless population on Long Island has skyrocketed.
The one important point I want everyone to know is that these are all really good kids who’s families are in a tough spot right now. These kids go to school and they see their classmates with things that any kid would want, but they can’t have it or afford it. So we ask these kids to write letters to Santa asking for specific gifts that they want. Some kids will ask for a computer or laptop. Other kids ask for boots, jeans or a coat. The little ones will ask for a bike or a Barbie doll. We do all that we can to make each of these children’s wishes come true and get them what they ask for.
I received the letters to Santa the day before Thanksgiving. I sat and cried while reading them. These kids need our help and I am asking for your help in any way you can. Here's how you can help:
1. Adopt a child: we will send you there wish list and you will go out and shop for the child and wrap the presents so they have something to open ($150-200 per child based on their age). We do have some requests for more expensive items like laptops, cameras, etc.
2. Donate Money: no amount is too small (or too big). We get ZERO government funding and we are an approved 501(c)3. Checks can be made payable to HOLIDAY MAGIC and sent to 300 South Oyster Bay Road Syosset, NY 11791.
3. Team Effort: get your youth lacrosse teams involved and collectively adopt an entire family or group of children. I can't tell you how much the kids love to help other kids in need and it makes a big difference in all of their lives. SPREAD THE WORD!
4. Wrapping: we always need help wrapping everything we buy and need volunteers.
5. Friends and Family: please forward this message to anyone you know that can help in any way.
6. Companies: If you have a connection to a company that can help us get great pricing on gifts, please let us know.
Team Elevate is hosting a party at one of the shelters we adopted on Tuesday December 13th, so we need everything done by the 12th at the latest
However you can help us, we appreciate anything you can do. Let us know.
On behalf of the children and the families we will be helping - THANK YOU!
p.s. COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS are available for those who need them for school.