BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm a believer. Let's say all the towns that are willing to do this, get their best kids together and do it next year. Even if it's something as crazy as the Oyster Bay league. Who has the b@#ls to do it?

Originally Posted by Anonymous
having been through it twice now i would encourage any group of parents that can pull it off to skip middle school lacrosse. School budgets have created a situation where there are too many kids per team and not enough coaches manage them properly. In 10 years it will be the norm just like soccer.

I get your point but who would they play? Need a bunch of teams to do it.

practice during the week, play in weekend travel leagues and enter tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Teams don't really pull kids up? Guess Rocky Point is the exception.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
having been through it twice now i would encourage any group of parents that can pull it off to skip middle school lacrosse. School budgets have created a situation where there are too many kids per team and not enough coaches manage them properly. In 10 years it will be the norm just like soccer.

Obviously you did not see 7th grade pro player town division. Some pretty hot town teams played Smithtown Islip Bayshore West Islip. PAL on steriods

But that's not representative of middle school, where they have 35-40 kids and participation takes precedent over all else.

It was meant to say 7th and 8th grade.

But I believe the poster means that. Pro player type games is what they want not MS format. Have the best play and screw the all participating function of MS lax. Who does it help the developing player. It hampers and holds back up the elite player. If towns wanted their teams to be strong in HS they would support this.

35-40 player rosters helps who. How many teams really cut players.?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously you did not see 7th grade pro player town division. Some pretty hot town teams played Smithtown Islip Bayshore West Islip. PAL on steriods

But that's not representative of middle school, where they have 35-40 kids and participation takes precedent over all else.

But I believe the poster means that. Pro player type games is what they want not MS format. Have the best play and screw the all participating function of MS lax. Who does it help the developing player. It hampers and holds back up the elite player. If towns wanted their teams to be strong in HS they would support this.

You are all nuts!!! MS obviously is not for development but rather team building, friendship building, school spirit and pride. It is the only place my kids can play with friends who don't want to go to that next level or can't make it there. The only people unhappy with it are the crazy parents. Travel teams are for skill building, competitive play and getting looks. Coaches don't come watch school games anymore. Stop knocking the school districts for getting kids involved and giving them the opportunities they otherwise wouldn't get. That includes playing with their friend who is an elite player. We suffered through MS sports and still are but at the end of the day my kid is happy and then goes and plays with travel in addition to school ball. Give us a break already with this. If you don't like it for your kid don't play, it will leave a spot for someone else!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Completely agree that it is about fun and playing with their friends...WM does not move 7th and 8th graders up.

Also agree it can be tough to watch, but generally (in my experience) the first q is decent lax.

We already play ultra competitive club lax and have plenty of time for more competition over the summer, this is about having fun and representing their schools.

For those that want to walk away, that is great, make room for others that want to wear the uniform.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it just seems like a lot of wasted time for your son's development. two years of "Five days a week for three weeks. Then the season goes for a little over a month. You have kids that can't catch or throw." I understand the whole playing with friends and such, but it doesn't help the better players at all. I guess maybe from a leadership point it helps, but not from a lacrosse standpoint.

You are all nuts!!! MS obviously is not for development but rather team building, friendship building, school spirit and pride. It is the only place my kids can play with friends who don't want to go to that next level or can't make it there. The only people unhappy with it are the crazy parents. Travel teams are for skill building, competitive play and getting looks. Coaches don't come watch school games anymore. Stop knocking the school districts for getting kids involved and giving them the opportunities they otherwise wouldn't get. That includes playing with their friend who is an elite player. We suffered through MS sports and still are but at the end of the day my kid is happy and then goes and plays with travel in addition to school ball. Give us a break already with this. If you don't like it for your kid don't play, it will leave a spot for someone else!!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
never bypass your school team, see this ? comes up way to much

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]it just seems like a lot of wasted time for your son's development. two years of "Five days a week for three weeks. Then the season goes for a little over a month. You have kids that can't catch or throw." I understand the whole playing with friends and such, but it doesn't help the better players at all. I guess maybe from a leadership point it helps, but not from a lacrosse standpoint.

You are expecting more out of MS sports than what they are indented to to. They are designed to provide an after school activity that teaches team work, sportsmanship, helps build character, etc. They are not supposed to be a feeder program for the HS nor are they intended to help athletes develop for the showcase tournaments that they may participate in as a rising freshman.

Yes, you have athletes of all different skill levels but that is the nature of the programs for all sports. Not every child begins playing a particular sport in 3rd or 4th grade. MS teams may be their first exposure to the sport. Those that continue to develop will go on to play at a higher level.

My sons played MS lacrosse in a very competitive school district. They had teammates/friends who made verbal D1 commits the following summer/fall. They also had teammates/friends who had just picked up a stick in 8th grade. None of that mattered to the team. They cheered just as loudly when one of the D1 commits scored the winning goal against a crosstown rival as when one of the nubes scored his first goal in a blow out.

Not everything learned on a MS team has to do with the sport.

If all you are looking for is the continued lacrosse development for your son than you should bypass the MS team. You will be very disappointed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lets see what happens at WM middle schools next year. There is a good crop of 7th grade "Better" players who play travel who will MS ball play out and how will their playing time is a/effected.

no, we play for WM. But I agree, those three schools are all very strong-

We know a few boys on each team as the result of club teams...

If smithtown goes to one HS, they will be terrific...

those 2 WM middle school teams were really good too

Where a boy plays outside of school has not affected anyone at the JHS. 7 of the 10 boys who start on the "A" line play for Private Club Teams and one of the other starters played for a private club last year. All of the Starters are 8th graders. The majority of the 7th graders who start on the B line play for Private Clubs.

Not sure of the exact numbers at the other JHS but at least a few of the starters on the A Line play for Private Clubs. The 7th graders who Start an the A line play for private clubs.

Ward Melville Varsity has at least 7 or 8 boys that have played for Private Clubs many of them start or see a lot of playing time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree never bypass MS sports, its more than sports at this age. Learning how to behave and represent your school, on the fields on the bus etc. is a major change for a lot of kids.
I have seen many kids (son and his friends) learn to balance and manage their time because they knew if their grades dropped they could not play.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lets see what happens at WM middle schools next year. There is a good crop of 7th grade "Better" players who play travel who will MS ball play out and how will their playing time is a/effected.

no, we play for WM. But I agree, those three schools are all very strong-

We know a few boys on each team as the result of club teams...

If smithtown goes to one HS, they will be terrific...

those 2 WM middle school teams were really good too

Where a boy plays outside of school has not affected anyone at the JHS. 7 of the 10 boys who start on the "A" line play for Private Club Teams and one of the other starters played for a private club last year. All of the Starters are 8th graders. The majority of the 7th graders who start on the B line play for Private Clubs.

Not sure of the exact numbers at the other JHS but at least a few of the starters on the A Line play for Private Clubs. The 7th graders who Start an the A line play for private clubs.

Ward Melville Varsity has at least 7 or 8 boys that have played for Private Clubs many of them start or see a lot of playing time.

Every 3V/Ward Melville player that I know of who plays for a private club does it for One Reason. They want to improve as a player in order to play at Ward Melville and help win a championship. They all want to improve and they all want to play for Ward Melville.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are a lot of very strong 8th graders in Smithtown and the majority of the strongest players also play for Club Teams. Some will go to East some will go to West some will go Private. They would be very good High School Team if they all went to the same school. Very dedicated group of young men who take advantage of Club Teams, Private Lessons, Outside Clinics, Outside Training and Smithton in order to become the best that they can be.
Best advice, do not limit or restrict your child’s lacrosse experience.

Like Reply Quote
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard