BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is much more to Middle School sports then the sport itself. There is the simple fact that that the kids are participating in a physical activity every day of the week. Yes, club teams practice, but not every day. It also teaches them something about time management. Balancing homework and other commitments after practice forces them to take some responsibility for their time and how they spend it.

There is also the social aspect of participating on a school team. Middle School is often a big adjustment for young students. Here they have the chance to bond with their friends, take some pride in representing their school and socialize with other kids whom they would not normally have something in common with. This also helps to bolster confidence and helps them assimilate with others in the school. Other students and teachers often attend these games. Sometimes the “benefits” of being on a team are not realized on the field but rather in the hallways the next day. “Hey, I saw you out on the field yesterday...”

Perhaps the stronger players are not being challenged as much as they would like, but they do have the stick in their hands everyday, and that is always a good thing. The weaker or new players benefit from practicing against the better players everyday. They may not get as much playing time but they get the practice in everyday. It only helps to make them better.

If you look at each game as a stepping stone to D1 lacrosse in your sons career, then yes, it may seem like a waist of time. But, if you look at it as an opportunity for him have fun with his friends, continue to expand his love and knowledge of the game, and grow as a student athlete and member of the school community, then it is certainly worth it.

“Club lacrosse only” may give them a better lacrosse experience but they would missing out on a lot more.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That could be the dumbest statement yet
On this topic! MS kids get to play with their
Neighborhood friends, which doesn't happen
In club lax. They are developing for their
School program, not for the selfish reasons
You are thinking about. Let me guess: you
Could care less how your your sons team does
As long as he plays good. Great lesson!
Your thinking about scholarships for your son
Instead of him playing with friends. Any lax
Played is good lax played.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is much more to Middle School sports then the sport itself. There is the simple fact that that the kids are participating in a physical activity every day of the week. Yes, club teams practice, but not every day. It also teaches them something about time management. Balancing homework and other commitments after practice forces them to take some responsibility for their time and how they spend it.

There is also the social aspect of participating on a school team. Middle School is often a big adjustment for young students. Here they have the chance to bond with their friends, take some pride in representing their school and socialize with other kids whom they would not normally have something in common with. This also helps to bolster confidence and helps them assimilate with others in the school. Other students and teachers often attend these games. Sometimes the “benefits” of being on a team are not realized on the field but rather in the hallways the next day. “Hey, I saw you out on the field yesterday...”

Perhaps the stronger players are not being challenged as much as they would like, but they do have the stick in their hands everyday, and that is always a good thing. The weaker or new players benefit from practicing against the better players everyday. They may not get as much playing time but they get the practice in everyday. It only helps to make them better.

If you look at each game as a stepping stone to D1 lacrosse in your sons career, then yes, it may seem like a waist of time. But, if you look at it as an opportunity for him have fun with his friends, continue to expand his love and knowledge of the game, and grow as a student athlete and member of the school community, then it is certainly worth it.

“Club lacrosse only” may give them a better lacrosse experience but they would missing out on a lot more.

very well said

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

very well said

Oh golly gee pee wilikers, that's just so sweet. I'm going to barf on my key board. Maybe the boys can have a tea social after the next game. WOW. The movies are for social time.
Believe it or not,some of these kids are very into this sport. Stop treating it like a play date. Why is it that when athletes want to play at a high level its a bad thing??? When academically gifted or musically gifted children want to express themselves at the highest levels, we give them Honors and AP classes. (rightfully so) We don't make them go to math with the kids that can't add. Do we? Not the athletes, they need to play with the kids who just started the sport three days ago... Hey Johnny, you can play 400 songs on the piano, go play with the kid who just started today. Practice with him everyday, even though he can't hit a note. You're with your friends, its all good. Is that not insane??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

very well said

Oh golly gee pee wilikers, that's just so sweet. I'm going to barf on my key board. Maybe the boys can have a tea social after the next game. WOW. The movies are for social time.
Believe it or not,some of these kids are very into this sport. Stop treating it like a play date. Why is it that when athletes want to play at a high level its a bad thing??? When academically gifted or musically gifted children want to express themselves at the highest levels, we give them Honors and AP classes. (rightfully so) We don't make them go to math with the kids that can't add. Do we? Not the athletes, they need to play with the kids who just started the sport three days ago... Hey Johnny, you can play 400 songs on the piano, go play with the kid who just started today. Practice with him everyday, even though he can't hit a note. You're with your friends, its all good. Is that not insane??

I agree. When I was in middle school we had a combined 7,8,and 9th grade team with cuts. At some point as a feeder program to the high schools some of these kids may unfortunately be told that they aren't good enough to play. God forbid we hurt someones feelings. PAL is good for kumbaya and goes up until 8th grade . School sports are not glorified playdates nor should they ever be.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one said that playing at a high level is a bad thing. I was addressing the question of “Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team”. Yes some of these kids are “very into this sport”. And I know that this summer, or next, many will be trying to catch the eye of a college recruiter at some tournament with their club team. They’re not going to get that from the Mid School team. I know that. If they can play at that level then of coarse they should. No one ever said not to play club.

The point I was trying to make was that if you look at Mid School sports as solely a place to excel in the sport then you will be disappointed. Very few schools have a large enough talent pool where they can cut all the new or weaker players. They need to keep some of them on the team.

However there is a lot to take away from the experience besides lacrosse and I don’t think you should bypass it just because you will have to play with some kids who just picked up a stick. (BTW, don’t be surprised when some of those same kids are competing with the better players for a position on the HS team. Some very good lax players didn’t start playing until middle school).

The same could be said of a gifted piano player. They can still choose to participate in the school band and enjoy it while taking private lessons. I don’t think they would depend on the school band teacher to help them learn those 400 songs.

Bottom line is they are 13 and 14 year olds. They should be enjoying themselves. Hopefully they are able to do it on the lacrosse field with their friends and not just at the movies. They can be as serious as they want on the club teams and that doesn’t mean they can’t also enjoy the school team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who said anything about no cuts? What I said was no matter the skill level of the player they can still get a lot out of Mid School sports and I don’t think you should by pass it and ONLY play club.

Glorified play-dates?! Just because I mention the personal and social development of the kids doesn’t mean I’m treating the sports as a play-date. As parents shouldn’t we be concerned with these things

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
No one said that playing at a high level is a bad thing. I was addressing the question of “Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team”. Yes some of these kids are “very into this sport”. And I know that this summer, or next, many will be trying to catch the eye of a college recruiter at some tournament with their club team. They’re not going to get that from the Mid School team. I know that. If they can play at that level then of coarse they should. No one ever said not to play club.

The point I was trying to make was that if you look at Mid School sports as solely a place to excel in the sport then you will be disappointed. Very few schools have a large enough talent pool where they can cut all the new or weaker players. They need to keep some of them on the team.

However there is a lot to take away from the experience besides lacrosse and I don’t think you should bypass it just because you will have to play with some kids who just picked up a stick. (BTW, don’t be surprised when some of those same kids are competing with the better players for a position on the HS team. Some very good lax players didn’t start playing until middle school).

The same could be said of a gifted piano player. They can still choose to participate in the school band and enjoy it while taking private lessons. I don’t think they would depend on the school band teacher to help them learn those 400 songs.

Bottom line is they are 13 and 14 year olds. They should be enjoying themselves. Hopefully they are able to do it on the lacrosse field with their friends and not just at the movies. They can be as serious as they want on the club teams and that doesn’t mean they can’t also enjoy the school team.

Agreeing with you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

very well said

Every thread has a resident psycho. Lighten up Francis!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

very well said

Every thread has a resident psycho. Lighten up Francis!

Ok fairy godmother.... I will.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ward Melville middle schools Gelinas and Murphy played last night. Best game of the year for both teams always.

Murphy won 7-6 with a goal with less than one minute left...

Say what you want about middle school lax, when the tough lax programs play eachother, the lax is as good as any club team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ward Melville middle schools Gelinas and Murphy played last night. Best game of the year for both teams always.

Say what you want about middle school lax, when the tough lax programs play eachother, the lax is as good as any club team.

Thats good to hear, however I think this is the exception rather than the rule. My son plays for a middle school in a strong lax town and the middle school lacrosse is still atrocious. I cant decide whats worse, the coaching, the officiating, or the playing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thats good to hear, however I think this is the exception rather than the rule. My son plays for a middle school in a strong lax town and the middle school lacrosse is still atrocious. I cant decide whats worse, the coaching, the officiating, or the playing.

I agree! My son also plays in a strong lax town yet the schedule is against all horrendous teams that can't catch. The games are pretty much unwatchable.

If a player falls down for any reason a flag is thrown. It's so obvious that it must be a mandate. Perfect checks are flagged leaving players confused about how they are supposed to properly play. I've seen kids lose there balance and fall down and get a flag thrown every time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It may be good to hear but it is far from accurate. It was a competitive game but the talent does not run so deep. Five or Six boys from each grade are very strong "A" players and could play on one of the top "A" club teams (some do) and there are some who play only for the Three Village town team (who could play for an A club team) but they choose not to. There are other good players but they are not as good as the top kids.

Also, not sure if it was such a good game for the boys who did not get in the game or for the ones who saw very little time. I thought the 5th Q was so that coaches could get all the kids in the game. Didn't see that happen yesterday.

Good Competition, good lacrosse but do not get carried away.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the intention of the 5th quarter is to give the coaches discretion to play whoever he likes. Thats why they do the alternating quarters with the 8th graders playing the 1st and the 3rd and the 7th graders playing the 2nd and the 4th. I know my coaches only put their best players on the field in the 5th quarter. Its bad enough he has to play the kids that cant throw and catch the rest of the game. Although we are a strong lax town, my sons middle school team is just about as unwatchable as lacrosse gets. We have about 5-7 players that could play for anyone including the top clubs, but after that there is a huge drop off......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please, it was a great game to watch. Have you seen a high school game lately? Starters very rarely come out at all except for a brief blow, no team is running more that two middie lines with one sub on attack and D.

The kids on the side line do not get to play very often at all...

Also, if you were watching last night you say both sideline having a great time rooting for their teams whether they got in the game or not...
WM will have a very strong team when those kids are in 11th and 12th grades...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
our middle school does not rotate quarters by grade. Rather, 1st q and 3rd q are the best players regardless of grade. 2nd and fourth arr the next best kids regardless of grade and 5th q is for others that did not play in the first 4 qs. In close games the strong kids come back out in the 5th...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
our middle school does not rotate quarters by grade. Rather, 1st q and 3rd q are the best players regardless of grade. 2nd and fourth arr the next best kids regardless of grade and 5th q is for others that did not play in the first 4 qs. In close games the strong kids come back out in the 5th...

Does he play for a Smithtown Middle School? We played them and all 3 teams were very good. Scary to think what it would have looked like as one team for all 3 schools

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please, it was a great game to watch. Have you seen a high school game lately? Starters very rarely come out at all except for a brief blow, no team is running more that two middie lines with one sub on attack and D.

The kids on the side line do not get to play very often at all...

Also, if you were watching last night you say both sideline having a great time rooting for their teams whether they got in the game or not...
WM will have a very strong team when those kids are in 11th and 12th grades...

I don't recall anyone saying it was not a great game to watch.

Ward Melville always has a very strong team so to say they will be strong when this group gets there is a bit silly. (of course they will be good)

This is middle school ball, not high school.

The thread is titled "Bypassing Middle School Lax for Club Team".

The original post regarding "Ward Melville" was intended to imply that Middle School lax is as good as or better than "Club Lax".

At the Top Club "A" Teams it is not.

For a kid who does not get in the games or can't make the towns "A" tournament team maybe a club "B" team is not such a bad idea.

The town "A" teams can't compete with the Top Club "A" Teams.

My kid plays middle school lax so i do not think kids should not play for their school but the original post was foolish.

I think the poster has a problem with club teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The poster--me--does not have a problem with club teams. My middle school son plays on one (A team) and therefore cannot play on the town team--3 village has a rule against playing on a club and also playing on the town...

I supposse that is why we enjoy middle school, my son gets to play with friends that either dont want the club experience or simply can't make an A squad.

You seem very defensive--or passive agressive. Sorry you are not having a good experience

Foolish, silly-really? Try seeing the bright side of things from time to time, you will feel better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
no, we play for WM. But I agree, those three schools are all very strong-

We know a few boys on each team as the result of club teams...

If smithtown goes to one HS, they will be terrific...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The poster--me--does not have a problem with club teams. My middle school son plays on one (A team) and therefore cannot play on the town team--3 village has a rule against playing on a club and also playing on the town...

I supposse that is why we enjoy middle school, my son gets to play with friends that either dont want the club experience or simply can't make an A squad.

You seem very defensive--or passive agressive. Sorry you are not having a good experience

Foolish, silly-really? Try seeing the bright side of things from time to time, you will feel better.

You seem all full of vim and vigor. Clearly your son is one of the top players (for now). Try walking in someone elses shoes for just a minute. I would guess in a tight game like the one you're talking about, maybe 20 kids from each team, the kids that start on either of the two 1&3 or 2&4 lines, got any real play time. The rest of the kids and their parents probably 40 plus kids combined from both teams got to watch a great game. Until you know what that feels like, tone it down a bit. I'm sure a number of those kids who watched a lot, could play on many other MS teams. Surely many of them could make a travel team. Guess what? As you move into HS, play time is worse. D1 commits not playing at top HS programs as seniors, juniors also D1 commits, no play time. As well as top D3 commits and prospects. Be humble, and respectfull of all the players, hopefully your son will never find himself in this situation...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You seem all full of vim and vigor. Clearly your son is one of the top players (for now). Try walking in someone elses shoes for just a minute. I would guess in a tight game like the one you're talking about, maybe 20 kids from each team, the kids that start on either of the two 1&3 or 2&4 lines, got any real play time. The rest of the kids and their parents probably 40 plus kids combined from both teams got to watch a great game. Until you know what that feels like, tone it down a bit. I'm sure a number of those kids who watched a lot, could play on many other MS teams. Surely many of them could make a travel team. Guess what? As you move into HS, play time is worse. D1 commits not playing at top HS programs as seniors, juniors also D1 commits, no play time. As well as top D3 commits and prospects. Be humble, and respectfull of all the players, hopefully your son will never find himself in this situation...

Or your sons could be 7th graders playing on a MS combined 7/8th grade team, where the 8th graders get almost all the playing time. That sucks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Three Village doesn't give their players a choice as to whether they want to play for a club team......rumor has it that they must play for the school and they are not permitted to play with an outside team otherwise they risk not playing on the JV or Varsity team....if you have a strong program with depth and can compete at tournaments with A teams this is all good, but when a schools lacrosse program is not as strong, players shouldn't be looked down upon for playing on club teams to advance their game. I am not talking about not playing for the school, as the player should represent their school with pride good, bad or ugly, I am referring to playing with the school through middle school years and getting up to JV and Varsity and not getting the playing time because the player chooses to play with a club team as well as the school team. This kind of behavior from coaches has the same kind of affect on the player, the coach isn't directly telling you not to play on an outside team because you will suffer the consequences, but their actions speak just as loud.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

those 2 WM middle school teams were really good too

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lets see what happens at WM middle schools next year. There is a good crop of 7th grade "Better" players who play travel who will MS ball play out and how will their playing time is a/effected.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rising 7th grade 2019 boys.

Lets see what happens at WM middle schools next year. There is a good crop of 7th grade "Better" players who play travel who will MS ball play out and how will their playing time is a/effected.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rising 7th grade 2019 boys.

There are currently 20 + Ward Melville boys 2018 and 2017 (current 7th and 8th grade) that play for Club Teams. All of those boys play for their JHS team. The JHS coaches play who the think are the best players. There are current seniors in college from Ward Melville who played for Club teams, this is nothing new. Some of the best players to come out of Ward Melville in recent years have played for Club Teams and there are current players on their Varsity who either play now or have played for a club in the past. I think the coaches play who they think give their team the best chance of winning. The coaches are not always get it right but that happens everywhere at every level. Don't think next year will be any different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
look, i feel badly for all the kids that didn't get to play this year, as someone said, it sucks. I have been in both positions several times. everyone wants to go and watch their kid play, have fun and compete. none of us make these decisions, the coaches do.

no vigor here, simply saying yesterday was a great game and lots of fun. unlike others our experience with ms lax has been positive, that is all plain and simple.

sorry your experience has not been positive. good luck to you and your son.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
(for now)--you are the kind of person hoping for someone that is good to fail? hoping you can point your finger years from now and say i told you so???

relax and enjoy your children. lax is a game and this site is about talking about the game. you have a chip on your shoulder and i feel bad for you.

there is no meaningful lax employment and no real scholarship $. let those of that have good players (for now) enjoy the time...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Middle School Lacrosse is hard to watch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Middle School Lacrosse is hard to watch.

So is SCGL.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
having been through it twice now i would encourage any group of parents that can pull it off to skip middle school lacrosse. School budgets have created a situation where there are too many kids per team and not enough coaches manage them properly. In 10 years it will be the norm just like soccer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cuts need to be made. They do it for academic classes. The same needs to be done for athletic teams. A Lacrosse team should have 22 max. Period!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
having been through it twice now i would encourage any group of parents that can pull it off to skip middle school lacrosse. School budgets have created a situation where there are too many kids per team and not enough coaches manage them properly. In 10 years it will be the norm just like soccer.

I get your point but who would they play? Need a bunch of teams to do it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously you did not see 7th grade pro player town division. Some pretty hot town teams played Smithtown Islip Bayshore West Islip. PAL on steriods

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]I don't know that most school districts pull up from the middle school teams. I know it happens, but I think that it is more the exception than the rule. I have seen an exceptional 8th grader start, and do well, but it is rarely on a really competitive team (ie: Farmingdale or Garden City... just to name a few). I have also seen that same girl play age appropriate club and not score a goal. My daughters school dist does not allow 8th grader to play up in the High School unless that sport is not offered in the middle school. [/

I think 8th graders who get pulled up to varsity are truly few and far between, and having coached h.s. for quite a few years I can tell you in my experience they should be. They are the elite athletes, often in many sports.

This must be a joke!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Obviously you did not see 7th grade pro player town division. Some pretty hot town teams played Smithtown Islip Bayshore West Islip. PAL on steriods

But that's not representative of middle school, where they have 35-40 kids and participation takes precedent over all else.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

practice during the week, play in weekend travel leagues and enter tournaments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Smithtown Team comes from three different middle schools and will break up into two different high schools. Not a middle school team.

Like Reply Quote
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard