BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Schoolgirls Tournament/Tryout
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Anyone know who's running this? Same crew as in prior years?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Schoolgirls Tournament/Tryout
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

is this UnderArmour? Or is it something else?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Different from Under Armour. Through US Lacrosse...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Different from Under Armour. Through US Lacrosse...

Kid trying out for both, new to this. Is one (Schoolgirl/UA) better than the other or roughly equal?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Okay (deep breath, diving in), both these programs have, in the past, been run by CR/the YJ. There has been a feeling that the tryouts are therefore biased. You can search this forum a year ago or so for that discussion because of course there are those who claim that it is in no way biased.

This is why I wanted to know who is running it this year, although I guess I can safely assume it's the YJ organization again since tryouts are being held at Mt. Sinai. smirk

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay (deep breath, diving in), both these programs have, in the past, been run by CR/the YJ. There has been a feeling that the tryouts are therefore biased. You can search this forum a year ago or so for that discussion because of course there are those who claim that it is in no way biased.

This is why I wanted to know who is running it this year, although I guess I can safely assume it's the YJ organization again since tryouts are being held at Mt. Sinai. smirk

It's sad that the LI Metropolitan Lacrosse Foundation has allowed this to go on for so long. This is supposed to be a US Lacrosse sponsored event.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's sad that the LI Metropolitan Lacrosse Foundation has allowed this to go on for so long. This is supposed to be a US Lacrosse sponsored event.

The very strong kids from other clubs will make it, they have too otherwise it reflects as a job badly done. The crime is on the borderline kids and the lean towards your own. Don't worry with so many yj teams in every age group these days, many yj kids will be overlooked as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MS is hosting because no other high school would step up to do so. Pls check with US Lacrosse if you doubt this. In fact a memo from US Lax went asking for field offers for next year. Further, at last tryout there were coaches from many different high schools and organizations: YJ, top gun, 91 and Express.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter is not a YJ , tried out made 2 nd team last year, coached by Daniel Gallagher. Her high school teammate is YJ , they are of about equal ability , her teammate did not make any team. The 2 nd team , although not sure had about 3 Yj kids. Take that info for what it's worth.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please stop with the conspiracy theories already. Angela Richie (president of US lacrosse LI chapter) is a MT Sinai resident and son Chris was an all american there, I am sure that had more to do with it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem is that the high school coaches are not showing up to evaluate. US lax has send tons of requests for evaluators. CR is the only one providing the evaluators. Unless non-YJ high school coaches step up, the problem will continue. Averyone should contact their AD at their school and demand that an evaluator be sent on their behalf. Also, it is a full Sunday afternoon. Unpaid. Most coaches are not that interested in giving up their free time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
will the tryout be closed again? I believe in the past that parents etc were told to drop off and leave.. I havent seen that "warning" this year

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The problem is that the high school coaches are not showing up to evaluate. US lax has send tons of requests for evaluators. CR is the only one providing the evaluators. Unless non-YJ high school coaches step up, the problem will continue. Averyone should contact their AD at their school and demand that an evaluator be sent on their behalf. Also, it is a full Sunday afternoon. Unpaid. Most coaches are not that interested in giving up their free time.

Coaches are not wasting their time because CR has controlled this for so many years. LIMLF should bring in independent evaluators. Ones who's paychecks are not in conflict with their evaluations.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No parents allowed at all! Not even the ones manning the Mount Sinai concession stand!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not fair to the kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No parents allowed at all! Not even the ones manning the Mount Sinai concession stand!!!!

Doesn't US Lacrosse and LIMLF realized that when you hold closed tryouts it adds to the potential problem. Why not open the tryouts and have them be completely transparent so that the general public can really see how the kids play? It's much harder for the evaluators to hand select the girls they want when everyone has a chance to see everyone play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure if I'm going. The Brine tryout was really weird and dissapointing. In the long run I'm glad because it looks like it would have been very expensive. Now everyone is saying unless you play for YJ you won't make the team.

Is the Underarmour tryout fair? I just want fair, I work really hard so that maybe, just maybe my dedication and hard work will give my parents a much needed finacial break if I can get some money by playing lax in college. I have accepted that things are not always fair and "who you know" plays a large part in "where you go". My best friend plays because her dad makes her play, she would rather run track. Lacrosse is my life, I do play other sports but it's mostly to keep in shape, although surprisingly enough there is college interest in soccer by some pretty cool schools.
Anyway, I just want to know if underarmour is worth it or if I should skip it, since the schoolgirls thing sounds like a skip. Thanks guys

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure if I'm going. The Brine tryout was really weird and dissapointing. In the long run I'm glad because it looks like it would have been very expensive. Now everyone is saying unless you play for YJ you won't make the team.

Is the Underarmour tryout fair? I just want fair, I work really hard so that maybe, just maybe my dedication and hard work will give my parents a much needed finacial break if I can get some money by playing lax in college. I have accepted that things are not always fair and "who you know" plays a large part in "where you go". My best friend plays because her dad makes her play, she would rather run track. Lacrosse is my life, I do play other sports but it's mostly to keep in shape, although surprisingly enough there is college interest in soccer by some pretty cool schools.
Anyway, I just want to know if underarmour is worth it or if I should skip it, since the schoolgirls thing sounds like a skip. Thanks guys

Really

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is funny! As if this would actually be the player's writing style! C'mon Mom, at least make it sound a LITTLE like it could be a player...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What was wrong with Brine? they selected 40 girls to make it through to the next round. hopefully you got the nod. The second round is $150.. not that much $$, plus you get a little swag even if you don't make the tournament team.
School girls is a must try-out. first you must be selected by your HS coach, that's an "honor" in itself. second you get the opportunity to try-out against the best girls on LI, also an "honor". And if If you make it... wow.. thats really an honor.
Under Armour is also a must try-out.. there will be college coaches watching from the sidelines. you can be noticed whether you make the final team or not. The "best" girls will make the team regardless of club..although if its a tie, you would be better off being on YJ

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Doesn't US Lacrosse and LIMLF realized that when you hold closed tryouts it adds to the potential problem. Why not open the tryouts and have them be completely transparent so that the general public can really see how the kids play? It's much harder for the evaluators to hand select the girls they want when everyone has a chance to see everyone play.

Last year you could watch from a distance , I think it should be a closed tryout. At the Brine tryout you had parents following their kid around and giving them instruction etc.If you think having all the parents there would be better I think you are crazy. Why does everyone feel there is a conspiracy , did kids make teams they did not deserve last year ? My kid made team two and I think more Liberty kids than YJ , maybe 3 YJ kids .My daughter does not play club lax as her town team does a lot but did not seem biased to me , I admit not very familiar with the kids on the top team and where they play club lax so maybe that is where all the problems are.That being said I would expect that the greatest number of players would be from YJ as they are the biggest club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Biggest used to mean the best. Not anymore. That's why politcs and money should not be involved in this tryout.

Last year you could watch from a distance , I think it should be a closed tryout. At the Brine tryout you had parents following their kid around and giving them instruction etc.If you think having all the parents there would be better I think you are crazy. Why does everyone feel there is a conspiracy , did kids make teams they did not deserve last year ? My kid made team two and I think more Liberty kids than YJ , maybe 3 YJ kids .My daughter does not play club lax as her town team does a lot but did not seem biased to me , I admit not very familiar with the kids on the top team and where they play club lax so maybe that is where all the problems are.That being said I would expect that the greatest number of players would be from YJ as they are the biggest club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They could have done a better job at brine picking names out of a hat.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What was wrong with Brine? they selected 40 girls to make it through to the next round. hopefully you got the nod. The second round is $150.. not that much $$, plus you get a little swag even if you don't make the tournament team.
School girls is a must try-out. first you must be selected by your HS coach, that's an "honor" in itself. second you get the opportunity to try-out against the best girls on LI, also an "honor". And if If you make it... wow.. thats really an honor.
Under Armour is also a must try-out.. there will be college coaches watching from the sidelines. you can be noticed whether you make the final team or not. The "best" girls will make the team regardless of club..although if its a tie, you would be better off being on YJ

Thank you for your answer. I like this site because so many people have experience which is very helpful. Like I said in my original post, my parents are not wealthy and I'm hoping, even though I know the chances are vety very small, to get some financial help playing lacrosse in college. Just one more question-do college coaches really look at high school film? Please don't respond with mean or sarcastic answers, I'm just trying to get as much information as I can.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you for your answer. I like this site because so many people have experience which is very helpful. Like I said in my original post, my parents are not wealthy and I'm hoping, even though I know the chances are vety very small, to get some financial help playing lacrosse in college. Just one more question-do college coaches really look at high school film? Please don't respond with mean or sarcastic answers, I'm just trying to get as much information as I can.

there is plenty of $$ in girls lax-my daughter received 50% for lax and then another 25% academic. From our experience almost everyone on UA was
already verbally committed. In girls lax most dont use film...most recruiting is done at showcases and summer tournaments

BTW school girls is now open to everyone ...you do not need a coach rec

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

there is plenty of $$ in girls lax-my daughter received 50% for lax and then another 25% academic. From our experience almost everyone on UA was
already verbally committed. In girls lax most dont use film...most recruiting is done at showcases and summer tournaments

Although the deadline to sign up was April 23rd. Walk-ons not permitted

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They could have done a better job at brine picking names out of a hat.

Always a conspiracy. BooHoo.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Although the deadline to sign up was April 23rd. Walk-ons not permitted

Is that true anyone could have signed up for the tryout? Why wasnt it advertised that way? Why wouldnt the highschool coaches tell the girls that? Instead they make it look like they are doing you a favor by giving you an invite to a tryout that anyone could attend. You have to love these coaches!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's an "open year" because they are combining this tryout with the u-19 national team tryout.. It's not usually open to all players. Coaches recommendation is still required most years

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm so confused! I guess I will go if I waoke up in time. Sounds like a long day and if the evauators all know who they want then I will just chalk it up to another experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm so confused! I guess I will go if I waoke up in time. Sounds like a long day and if the evauators all know who they want then I will just chalk it up to another experience.

go, play hard, do your best.... You can't control anything else. Be proud of your effort.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why do they tell you not to wear any markings of any teams such as club or school team, but on the application they ask for your club team? This thing is such a scam! They make it like they dont know who plays for any particular team but they ask for it in the application so im sure they have it readily available as they choose their players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

go, play hard, do your best.... You can't control anything else. Be proud of your effort.
Just dropped off my daughter at the try out, and on the way up she is tearing up and I ask whats wrong. She looks at me and says whats the point in trying for this, they all ready know who will be on the teams . She is a goalie and despite the edict that you must go in black shorts,and white top, she knows exactly who will be picked because the helmet gives the girls away. I tell her exactly what you just wrote. To any girl that may read this,after finishing the recruiting process the one thing we heard from almost every college coach was that they know how politicly driven Long Island lacrosse is. Do not let todays result define you. Use today to hone your game. good luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just dropped off my daughter at the try out, and on the way up she is tearing up and I ask whats wrong. She looks at me and says whats the point in trying for this, they all ready know who will be on the teams . She is a goalie and despite the edict that you must go in black shorts,and white top, she knows exactly who will be picked because the helmet gives the girls away. I tell her exactly what you just wrote. To any girl that may read this,after finishing the recruiting process the one thing we heard from almost every college coach was that they know how politicly driven Long Island lacrosse is. Do not let todays result define you. Use today to hone your game. good luck

Listen....this conspiracy theory stuff if ridiculous and untrue. FOR EXAMPLE.
Last year the Under Armour tryouts were moderated by all YJ coaches. The coaches of the team were Carol Rose and Tracy Weiner. One of the two goalies was a TOP GUNS KID.
STOP WITH THE NONSENSE AND ENCOURAGE YOUR DAUGHTER TO PLAY HARD. THEY READ THIS SO THE NEGATIVE STUFF HAS GOT TO END ALREADY.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Last year the Under Armour tryouts were moderated by all YJ coaches. The coaches of the team were Carol Rose and Tracy Weiner. One of the two goalies was a TOP GUNS KID.
STOP WITH THE NONSENSE AND ENCOURAGE YOUR DAUGHTER TO PLAY HARD. THEY READ THIS SO THE NEGATIVE STUFF HAS GOT TO END ALREADY.
I never said anything about club teams, All I said was when a goalie walks on the field all coaches know who the top touted goalies are and that creates a bias. those 2 goalies walked on that field with E.S.M. AND S.W.R. on the helmet. and as soon as the coaches saw that they knew who they were and they would get a better look than a goalie with a B.B.P. helmet on. no conspiracy, just a fact. If every field player is anonymous, goalies are not. If you don't believe that to be true than your either a fool, or a benefactor of the bias that is trying to justify it. and stop yelling

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah 1 kid topgun and 40 yellow jackets. Come on man we all know its not fair.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I never said anything about club teams, All I said was when a goalie walks on the field all coaches know who the top touted goalies are and that creates a bias. those 2 goalies walked on that field with E.S.M. AND S.W.R. on the helmet. and as soon as the coaches saw that they knew who they were and they would get a better look than a goalie with a B.B.P. helmet on. no conspiracy, just a fact. If every field player is anonymous, goalies are not. If you don't believe that to be true than your either a fool, or a benefactor of the bias that is trying to justify it. and stop yelling

I'm not sure how the evaluators who have been around these goalies at camps, clinics and tournaments since they were young and have seen them play for all those years creates an unavoidable perception of their abilities. Is that a bad thing or a testament to those kids abilities? You call it a bias because why? Is your daughter a goalie? Who is she since you called out the two kids you mentioned? I'm not sure how you can logically make your argument. I'm interested in knowing how the ESM and SWR goalies are supposed to try out for this or any team? Let me know your thoughts on how to accomplish this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Their school initials should not be on there helmets! Duhhhhh!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not sure how the evaluators who have been around these goalies at camps, clinics and tournaments since they were young and have seen them play for all those years creates an unavoidable perception of their abilities. Is that a bad thing or a testament to those kids abilities? You call it a bias because why? Is your daughter a goalie? Who is she since you called out the two kids you mentioned? I'm not sure how you can logically make your argument. I'm interested in knowing how the ESM and SWR goalies are supposed to try out for this or any team? Let me know your thoughts on how to accomplish this.
First, I did not call out the two girls from UA last year , the other poster that named what club each was from did, anyone that follows girls lax knows who both girls are, so please stop faking outrage, and neither girls name was used. You say all these coaches have seen all these girls for years at camps and clinics, I say your obviously a yellow Jacket parent that thinks you and your club are the center of the world. I, at this point, need to tell you that you are not. My daughter has never been to a Y.J. camp, clinic , practice, or any other event held by them. So I now need to ask you two questions. 1- how does any Y.J. coach know who my daughter is? and 2- do you really think they would give a non Y.J. kid a better score than a Y.J. kid? And please be honest because we all know the answer. How do they know who is a Y.J. ? Because they know what school they play for, and that Schools name is on the side of her head. I know this
phenomenon is not limited to the Y.J's, but as you all love to brag about, Y.J's are the only club that uses High School coaches as team coaches during summer ball, so they have the most bias.
how do you fix the problem you ask? U.S. lacrosse has made a huge issue about wearing black shorts white top to be neutral. they must have a decent relationship with Brine, S.T.X. and Warrior, I'm sure they could get them to donate 50 or so white helmets for the occasion, that can later be used as a tax write off for the first stick program. And how about independent evaluators. If you are going to tout yourself as the unifying agency for a sport, you need to be above reproach in these matters

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard