By STEPHEN HAYNES Newsday (reprinted)

It was as if the lacrosse gods demanded that Samantha Geiersbach put on a show Monday.

Because with 1:06 left in regulation, everyone in attendance thought her stutter step dodge and lefty shot to tie the score was the head-turning play.
It wasn't.

Because the West Babylon sophomore one-upped herself only 26 seconds later, scoring what was then presumed to be the winner against Bay Shore.

It wasn't.

Because only overtime would provide the appropriate stage for her theatrical trifecta. Geiersbach put her signature on the game, using "the signature move," her sister Jessica said. Samantha took a pass, reversed pivot, stepped back, spun around her defender and fired in one motion -- into the left corner with 47 seconds left.

That was the one! And the Eagles made that goal hold through a second overtime as they edged Bay Shore, 12-11, in Division I girls lacrosse.

"That's a move I learned when I was little," said Geiersbach, who had four goals. "I brought it back there."

She also brought back confidence for West Babylon, which beat the Marauders for the first time in "at least eight years," coach Colleen Kilgus said.

Samantha Apuzzo had six goals and an assist to lead the Eagles (5-2). Jessica Geiersbach added two goals, and Paige DiMuro made three of her 10 saves on point-blank shots.

"It's amazing to finally get a win against them," Apuzzo said of beating Bay Shore, the two-time defending Suffolk Class A champion.

With West Babylon protecting a one-goal lead in the second overtime, Apuzzo forced a turnover behind the Eagles' cage with 1:02 left, allowing them to run out the clock. The midfielder had five goals in an 11-minute span of the first half.

But the Marauders took a 10-9 lead with 5:59 remaining. Kyra Harney had three goals for Bay Shore, but injured her leg and left late in the second OT. Carly Cox, Katie Kirk and Kendra Cronin each scored twice for Bay Shore (3-4).

After Samantha Geiersbach put West Babylon ahead late in regulation, Kirk tied it with 13 seconds left.

"In those situations, people can start to panic," Kilgus said, "but that's not the case with our team."

It wasn't.

Because overtime, for Geiersbach, was simply Act III, Scene III.