BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,090
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes you can specialize in Lacrosse and be tough. You do not have to be a two sport athlete to succeed. However, playing football gives you a toughness and commitment leg up on those who play only lacrosse.

Look at some D1 Lacrosse player bios

Duke for example:
- Fowler - football/wrestling
- Duprey - football/hockey
- Lobb - basketball/soccer
- Hipps - football (texas)
- Jones - football/basketball
- Haus - football

Skill wise, lacrosse all year has its advantages

Athletically, lacrosse all year is fine (especially supplemented with the right strength and conditioning program)

Mentally, there are toughness attributes that a typical prep school, travel club kid does not have and will not gain on the lacrosse field. This is the differentiating factor for a multisport athlete. Football, Wrestling, Hockey and Basketball offer this (preferred sports in that order)

Football is 95% practice and only 5% games. Mostly pain, limited gain.

How many D1 Top 30 college football, wrestling, hockey and basketball coaches are telling high school recruits that they should be playing other sports?

I sugest that you go check the rosters of the top college programs in the sports that you mention. What percent of the players came out of private / prep high schools? What percent played for a "club" team?

Also, what percent of the top athletes competed only with their town team?

Those kids mentioned above played those other sports because they wanted to and liked them. It is doubtful they played to get better at lax. Further, they are all guys who had the god given athletic gifts. No amount of football made them any better at lax. Its just the opposite of what you're saying. The athletic gift allowed them to play multiple sports at a high level. Playing one sport didn't make them better at the other.

Well said. So if I may, you might say that there is not one correct way to approach the topic, but personal view and preference, and passion for the sport may come in to play? Imagine that. Intelligent life on BOTC!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So this past football season the starting QBs from Chaminade (committed to Nova for lax) and St. A's (committed to G-Town)who are also the best middies on their respective lacrosse teams, have not benefited from playing football. C'mon man!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agre the players intent was "wanted to and liked them" they did not play because of a desire to use the sport to get better at lax.

However, the result is the other sports helped instill a toughness and competitiveness that did help them on the lacrosse field.

I am not saying you have to play another sport to be good at lacrosse I am only stating that barring injury there is zero downside to playing these sports and that they are all catalysts for improved lacrosse performance. I am saying that lacrosse players in particular should be encouraged to play multiple sports due to the catalytic effect these sports have on lacrosse player performance (Football, Wrestling, Hockey and Basketball in particular).

Those kids mentioned above played those other sports because they wanted to and liked them. It is doubtful they played to get better at lax. Further, they are all guys who had the god given athletic gifts. No amount of football made them any better at lax. Its just the opposite of what you're saying. The athletic gift allowed them to play multiple sports at a high level. Playing one sport didn't make them better at the other.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have heard coaches Danowski and Tierney speak on several occasions about this very subject and they both agreed that they preferred to see multi-sport atheletes when they recruited.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have heard coaches Danowski and Tierney speak on several occasions about this very subject and they both agreed that they preferred to see multi-sport atheletes when they recruited.

Yet the majority of the kids they actually recruit only play lacrosse??

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agre the players intent was "wanted to and liked them" they did not play because of a desire to use the sport to get better at lax.

However, the result is the other sports helped instill a toughness and competitiveness that did help them on the lacrosse field.

I am not saying you have to play another sport to be good at lacrosse I am only stating that barring injury there is zero downside to playing these sports and that they are all catalysts for improved lacrosse performance. I am saying that lacrosse players in particular should be encouraged to play multiple sports due to the catalytic effect these sports have on lacrosse player performance (Football, Wrestling, Hockey and Basketball in particular).

First, please post from the bottom.
For the record, I'm not anti football, great sport if you like it.
However, you can also make a point that that the wear and tear on the body from a season of HS football most likely had more of a negative effect than the positives you preach. Why is it that "football" makes you competitive? I played it, didn't make anyone "more" competitive. Lacrosse doesn't make you more competitive, you either are or you aren't competitive. Again until someone comes up with a study to prove what your saying is so, I file it under the category of anecdotal information or a school of thought. Not based in any fact. Last couple of points I'll make. (admittedly anecdotal as well, but a bit more logical) Do you think lacrosse made Jim Brown a better football player? Or was it his athletic gift the thing that made him the football player he was? I say it was his athletic gifts. One more. Would an athlete like Jadaveon Clowny, who might be the number one pick in the NFL draft this year be any better at football if he had played Lacrosse? I think we all know the answer. Being 6ft 5, 275lbs and running a 4.45 40 is a gift. So why do you think any amount of football would make a talented lacrosse player any better. Zero logic to assume it would. Just like no amount of football will make you better at, golf, swimming, tennis, basketball or any other sport, no amount of Lacrosse will make you better at any of those sports either. There is no magic that comes from football.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Attack and Goalie are skill postions less likely to see multi-sport

Look at most D1 Lax midfields and defenses - they are full of players with multi-sport backgrounds

Duke/Danowski is a great example already noted

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look at most D1 Lax midfields and defenses - they are full of players with multi-sport backgrounds

Can you name some actual players that excelled mutisport? More than 1 or two please. Can you tell me how many college players on the Tewaaraten watch list are mutisport atheletes?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you are suggesting Duke would take a kid with less talent because they like the fact that he plays another sport then I think that is wrong. They take the best players they can get. If a top lax recruit happens to play another sport then that is "great" but I seriously question the notion that Duke or any other D1 school affirmatively looks for multisport athletes. I know that is what they say publicly and perhaps it makes them seem more holistic and chill...but it makes no sense as others have pointed out.

P.S. I think Fowler is a bad recruiting example anyway. Didn't he originally make the team as a walk-on?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This anecdotal story is three years old but when I saw Coach Danowski speak he said he had never had a player at Duke that played one sport in HS

don't have time to do the whole team but I did do the 3 goalies -

Turri - two time on league Basketball
AAron - Hockey and Football
Fowler - 3 time all league Football and Wrestling
(Fowler's brother also played 3 years of football at Duke in addition to lacrosse)

Something about a good athlete and a competitor that would make me think they would want to be playing for championships all year round and not just in the spring.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The suggestion is not that a lacrosse only kid would be rejected versus a multi-sport kid.

The suggestion is that playing more than one sport when you are a laxer is a proven good thing.

If your HS coach is advising you that lacrosse only is the best way to go, I would beware of that coach.

Jim Brown would have been great at either sport if he played only one. Jim Brown was greater at both because he played both.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Jim Brown play any sports besides Lacrosse when he was at Manhasset HS?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this a serious question ?? He would actually miss the first part of lacrosse because of football.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this a serious question ?? He would actually miss the first part of lacrosse because of football.

????? how long was the football season? He was also a great Basketball player - He was a four sport athlete in College

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jim Brown Quote "I'd rather play lacrosse six days a week and football on the seventh." ... and I believe the question was in jest, really doesn't require a serious answer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous] This anecdotal story is three years old but when I saw Coach Danowski speak he said he had never had a player at Duke that played one sport in HS

don't have time to do the whole team but I did do the 3 goalies -

Turri - two time on league Basketball
AAron - Hockey and Football
Fowler - 3 time all league Football and Wrestling
(Fowler's brother also played 3 years of football at Duke in addition to lacrosse)

Something about a good athlete and a competitor that would make me think they would want to be playing for championships all year round and not just in the spring. [/quote

Connetquots, Mike Pellegrino, captain of John Hopkins, also wrestled and played football. Oh yeah, he won the Hansen award. Plays LSM and at 5'9" is a beast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lacrosse is a second tier sport. The best athletes in the world do not play lacrosse. Very good athletes who do not specialize in "lacrosse" can still compete at the Devision 1 level because the best athletes are not playing lacrosse.

College lacrosse coaches want the best athletes they can get ( but in most cases they can't get the best athletes) so they take what they can get. They take very good athletes who also have very good lacrosse skills.

Given the choice, most athletes choose division 1 (BCS) foootball or Division 1 basketball over Devision 1 Lacrosse. (how many have the option?)

Very few of the top Lacrosse/football players from long Island are offered full scholarships to play big time college football or basketball.

Not sure how many Long Island kids have chosen to play Lacrosse at Hopkins or Virginia for a partial scholarship over playing football at Notre Dame, Michigan or Stanford for a full Athletic Scholarship (including tuition, room & board, and all class related material "books").

As the sport continues to grow it will become more important to develop your skills because there will be more "Athletes" playing the game. All things being equal a coach will look to the player with the better skills and the higher IQ.

If you listen to the "stay home" and play only with the kids from your town crowed and the "play multiple sports in HS" crowed I think you will be in for a shock down the road (if the sport continues to grow). If it doesn't grow then it will not matter.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too much here to jump all over. Try re-reading inserting the phrase, "...in my opinion." at the end of each sentence. It will make more sense. Really, try it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too much here to jump all over. Try re-reading inserting the phrase, "...in my opinion." at the end of each sentence. It will make more sense. Really, try it!

Most everything on this forum is an opinion.

I read the post in question again and yes it is the opinion of one person but I think it spot on.

Lacrosse is a second tier sport.
The best athletes in the world do not play lacrosse.
College coaches want the best athletes that they can get but they do not get the best athletes. (kids that can play cornerback in the SEC do not choose lacrosse as their college sport) Lacrosse gets very good athletes but not the best.
Are there many Long Island athletes who have turned down full rides to play football at Notre Dame in order to play lacrosse at Hopkins for 1/3 scholarship?
All “athletic” things being equal a college coach will select the player with the superior lacrosse skill and IQ.
The “stay home” and the “play multiple sports in HS” crowd will be in for a rude awakening if the sport continues to grow. The large majority of athletes who compete at the highest level in their chosen sport start to specialize at some point before reaching the top level. The athletes who compete at the highest level in other sports do not only compete with kids from their town. Hockey, Tennis, Soccer, Basketball and most other sports have well established leagues/teams/programs where the best play and compete. I doubt that the men and women from UConn only played on their town teams growing up.

So, aside from the typos, spelling errors and or alcohol induced grammatical blunders I agree with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which summer tourneys are the top NY 2018 teams doing this year? We are a VA team and are doing young guns, dukes and patriots. Who will we see there?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Direct off their websites.

Terps: Adrenaline, Dukes, Tri Star Lax Clash, Best of the Best, Philly Showcase, Princeton Prospect Camp, and Lake Placid Lax Tourney

Extreme: JDRF, Beach Lax, Adrenaline, LI Laxfest, NXT Philly Inv., fl$ in 3d

Which summer tourneys are the top NY 2018 teams doing this year? We are a VA team and are doing young guns, dukes and patriots. Who will we see there?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do most of the players attend all 6-7 tournaments?

I see one is in August. Haven't you lost all your football players by then?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, Yes they do!

Do most of the players attend all 6-7 tournaments?

I see one is in August. Haven't you lost all your football players by then?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Direct off their websites.

Terps: Adrenaline, Dukes, Tri Star Lax Clash, Best of the Best, Philly Showcase, Princeton Prospect Camp, and Lake Placid Lax Tourney

Extreme: JDRF, Beach Lax, Adrenaline, LI Laxfest, NXT Philly Inv., fl$ in 3d

You should consider LI Lax Fest or Best of the Best. Those will probably draw in the best challenge for your club.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Would love to. I think we are set on schedule. Young guns was loaded last year I think.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just want to know whats everyone's opinion are on these 2 events. National 175 and Top 205.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
National 175 is partly owned by Chanenchuk ENOUGH SAID. 205 is solid run well good turnout

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2014 COMMITMENTS from LI Express
Liam Blohm - Ohio State
Sam Bonafede - Princeton
Benny Borgognone - Fairfield
Kieran Byrnes - Villanova
Kyle Cain - St Joseph's
JT Caputo - Princeton
Luke Castellano - Cortland
Sean Cerrone - Villanova
Malcolm Flynn, Ohio State
Greg Galligan - Georgetown
Alex Georgalas - Vassar
Matt Isnardi - Army
Brendan Kavanagh - Hofstra
Ian Kirby - Towson
Daniel Katzman - Marquette
Tom Laupus - Providence
Thomas McAndrew - Binghamton
Pat McCormick - UNC
Andrew Nadjari - Army
Brendan Simpson - West Point
Ryan Simmons - Cortland
Thomas Stackpole - St. John's
Matthew Wysota - Villanova
John Young - Bowdoin

Yeah Enough Said about Chanachuck...

My son doesn't play for the express but you cant question his results. Oh wait you must be a 91 guy, here is their list:

EJ Suris Mt. St. Marys

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This NOT meant to be a shot at the Express, but how many of those guys are ST Anthonys and Chaminade ? The best and brightest want to attend those HSs. Those HS lax players then play on the Express. Kind of a chicken or the egg thing
Liam Blohm - Ohio State
Sam Bonafede - Princeton
Kyle Cain - St Joseph's
JT Caputo - Princeton
Sean Cerrone - Villanova
Alex Georgalas - Vassar
Matt Isnardi - Army
Ian Kirby - Towson
Tom Laupus - Providence
Pat McCormick - UNC
Andrew Nadjari - Army
Ryan Simmons - Cortland
John Young - Bowdoin

My son doesn't play for the express but you cant question his results. Oh wait you must be a 91 guy, here is their list:

EJ Suris Mt. St. Marys

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bull. He can not, should not take any credit for these kids getting picked up by those schools. Why is it that he doesnt even Coach the older kids anymore. Maybe it is because he made promises he couldn't keep. Wheres the list of kids he took $3500 from for 4 years and are not even on anyones radar. IT IS A BUSINESS TO HIM ALWAYS WILL BE. GC KIDS, CHAMINADE KIDS DID NOT NEED HIM TO GET RECRUITED.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Liam Blohm - Ohio State
Sam Bonafede - Princeton
Kyle Cain - St Joseph's
JT Caputo - Princeton
Sean Cerrone - Villanova
Alex Georgalas - Vassar
Matt Isnardi - Army
Ian Kirby - Towson
Tom Laupus - Providence
Pat McCormick - UNC
Andrew Nadjari - Army
Ryan Simmons - Cortland
John Young - Bowdoin

EJ Suris Mt. St. Marys

There is no comparison for 91 Varsity kids and Express- 91 was just starting to build during these years... There will be much more of a comparison when the JV/MS bunch reach recruiting age and start committing. Nonetheless, the Express list is mighty impressive and I take nothing away from the organization, but see no reason to put down 91 either.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
National 175 is partly owned by Chanenchuk ENOUGH SAID. 205 is solid run well good turnout

Right on, Channy is the best when it comes to this stuff.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He's the biggest scumbag involved with the sport of lacrosse and everyone knows it. He'd screw over anyone to make a buck or make a connection.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bull. He can not, should not take any credit for these kids getting picked up by those schools. Why is it that he doesnt even Coach the older kids anymore. Maybe it is because he made promises he couldn't keep. Wheres the list of kids he took $3500 from for 4 years and are not even on anyones radar. IT IS A BUSINESS TO HIM ALWAYS WILL BE. GC KIDS, CHAMINADE KIDS DID NOT NEED HIM TO GET RECRUITED.

And yet 100s of kids tryout for his team. hmmm... He is the best at what he does. He is a honest guy and that's probably where all this nonsense comes from, truth hurts, I know. BTW, he cut my kid because he said he wasn't ready for his top team. So instead of anonymously bashing him on a board, I spoke to him about my son and he gave me advice on what to do and what club was the right fit for my son. And still invites him to his clinics, which are the best stick and shooting workouts around.

So please you obviously don't know the guy - don't be so darn judgmental.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And yet 100s of kids tryout for his team. hmmm... He is the best at what he does. He is a honest guy and that's probably where all this nonsense comes from, truth hurts, I know. BTW, he cut my kid because he said he wasn't ready for his top team. So instead of anonymously bashing him on a board, I spoke to him about my son and he gave me advice on what to do and what club was the right fit for my son. And still invites him to his clinics, which are the best stick and shooting workouts around.

I like the guy, but your comment "still invites him to his clinics" is interesting. Do you pay double?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HONEST GUY?????

Did u just describe Channy as an honest guy?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My kids have nothing to do with Express or MC. Top 205 is more like top 805. Awful. 175 is by far a better showcase.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He definitely will tell you like it is, if your kid sucks he will let you know !! and he will also give you advice on what to do with your kid to improve , He will never sugarcoat you like 91 or even now Legacy which will tell you everything is fine don't worry as the season comes and goes and you are numb from your kid not playing after the story has been changed a dozen times on words you want to hear from a director to keep your high hopes going for your kid , then BAM its tooooo late Sorry seasons over.
People hate channy because he speaks the truth , oh and like no other program would rob you blind either?? they are all the same , out to make money or they would actually have to work for a living !

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure if I have ever heard of a kid getting cut from Express. Are you telling me your son did make the Orange, Blue, Blue 2, White, White 2, Green, Maroon, Purple, Turtles, Barracudas, Aqua and all the other colors and names they have for each grade. Love the fact he cut your kid but you keep putting money in his pocket for clinics. Only reason he is there is to collect the money. If you go to any tryouts anywhere for UnderArmour, Nassau team anything and he is involved rest assure the fix is in. For every 1 kid he actually helps he screws 20

EXPRESS IS NOT SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE OF CHANNY. THE PEOPLE ABOVE HIM ARE ALL GOOD GUYS THAT DO THE RIGHT THING THAT IS WHY THEY MOVED HIM DOWN TO THE YOUNGER KIDS THEY REALIZED THEY WERE GETTING A BAD REPUTATION AND DID NOT WANT HIM AROUNF THE JUNIORS AND SENIORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure if I have ever heard of a kid getting cut from Express. Are you telling me your son did make the Orange, Blue, Blue 2, White, White 2, Green, Maroon, Purple, Turtles, Barracudas, Aqua and all the other colors and names they have for each grade. Love the fact he cut your kid but you keep putting money in his pocket for clinics. Only reason he is there is to collect the money. If you go to any tryouts anywhere for UnderArmour, Nassau team anything and he is involved rest assure the fix is in. For every 1 kid he actually helps he screws 20

EXPRESS IS NOT SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE OF CHANNY. THE PEOPLE ABOVE HIM ARE ALL GOOD GUYS THAT DO THE RIGHT THING THAT IS WHY THEY MOVED HIM DOWN TO THE YOUNGER KIDS THEY REALIZED THEY WERE GETTING A BAD REPUTATION AND DID NOT WANT HIM AROUNF THE JUNIORS AND SENIORS

One thing for sure is that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Page 26 of 47 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard