BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Newsday Lacrosse Coverage Changes
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Newsday recently changed their online program to cover scores and stats for lacrosse (and other sports). You used to be able to go online and click scores and you would see all the scores for that day.

Now you have to select either Nassau, Suffolk or Private. Especially at this time of year their are a lot of crossover games - Nassau vs. Suffolk, etc. As an example, Huntington girls played Syosset on Wednesday 3/19. The game is listed on the Nassau side, but not on the Suffolk side.

Also, they no longer are listing goalie saves as one of the statistics - they only list goals and assists. How about some love for the goalies and defense?

Maybe Larry can help start a grass roots campaign to get Newsday to make some improvements!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Newsday Lacrosse Coverage Changes
Chief Admin
Chief Admin
Originally Posted by teamelevate
Newsday recently changed their online program to cover scores and stats for lacrosse (and other sports). You used to be able to go online and click scores and you would see all the scores for that day.

Now you have to select either Nassau, Suffolk or Private. Especially at this time of year their are a lot of crossover games - Nassau vs. Suffolk, etc. As an example, Huntington girls played Syosset on Wednesday 3/19. The game is listed on the Nassau side, but not on the Suffolk side.

Also, they no longer are listing goalie saves as one of the statistics - they only list goals and assists. How about some love for the goalies and defense?

Maybe Larry can help start a grass roots campaign to get Newsday to make some improvements!

My experience with Newsday is not one of success. BOTC is dedicated to ONLY lacrosse....I am open to suggestions as to how BOTC might be able to work with the community to have the coaches come on here and post stats...my phone number is 516.295.0600 and I would be happy to chat with anyone to see if BOTC can set up a mechanism to remedy this situation. Please call after 5p.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Getting a little out of hand ?????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. It was so much easier to navigate through scores and game standings last year for varsity lax. I wish they would change it back!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Newsday has a kid from Mt. Sinai with 23 pts but the team has scored 22 goals

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

If the kid has 15 goals and 8 assists how many points is that?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
REALLY? they do count assists as points also.

welcome to lax 101

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check out the MSG Varsity web site.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

welcome to lax 101

You guys need to go back to MATH 101. lol
If the team scored a total of 22 goals, it's impossible for someone to have 15 goals and 8 assists. That would total 23 goals!! Good lord......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
total still can't exceed 22 if that's all the goals the team scored

Math 101

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
total still can't exceed 22 if that's all the goals the team scored

Math 101

who reports to newsday?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

possibly a hippo, um, typo?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

welcome to lax 101

You must be the person keeping the stats, scary.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mt sinai is known for padding stats. they do it every year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Newsday isn't listing the goalies saves in the game stats anymore. I guess the most important position on the field isn't deserving.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They have left out a day of high school sports last week on Wednesday. No results from Tuesdays games. They NEVER DO THAT TO BASKETBALL.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
And no box scores in today's paper from yesterday's games. What the heck?

I don't like the new online format either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Each day there have been games not listed at all. Last nights 7:00 farmingdale vs Hewlett game for example. It's terrible coverage!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry if this sounds dumb but who gives newsday the "players to watch"? I see on newsdayhighschoolsports on twitter that some girls had their pictures taken, do the coaches submit the names of players? And I don't like the new format either, hard to follow.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In today's paper they had the high school baseball/softball review, have they done the lacrosse review yet? I'm not a newsday subscriber but I would like to check it out if I didn't already miss it.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
In today's paper they had the high school baseball/softball review, have they done the lacrosse review yet? I'm not a newsday subscriber but I would like to check it out if I didn't already miss it.

No, they have not covered lacrosse or any other sports yet. I assume they will, though.

I have no idea who chooses the "players to watch." Good question, though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Every coach sends the players to watch to Newsday

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many names can each coach submit?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lacrosse is not basketball and never will be. basketball is actually a sport,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Now that could be the dumbest comment ever posted on here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's not true at all. Coaches do not submit names for watch list to newsday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes it is. coaches do submit names. do you think newsday keeps an eye on girls lacrosse and actually knows the best players. let me ask you this, how do those names get there then. should be coming out in newsday this sunday boys and girls lacrosse best teams and players to watch.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who are you? Only a loser would say that!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes it is. coaches do submit names. do you think newsday keeps an eye on girls lacrosse and actually knows the best players. let me ask you this, how do those names get there then. should be coming out in newsday this sunday boys and girls lacrosse best teams and players to watch.

If that were the case wouldn't every coach nominate a player or two? How would Newsday figure out who to take and who not to?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches can only submit names of players who have won awards the previous year such as All American, All County, All Conference ect. Coaches usually assign an asst. coach or someone close to the program who sends in the scores, stats after every game and a short write up of the game. Newsday only sends someone out to games that are the so called better games of the weekend. They can't cover every game. Do you think Newsday calls every team for scores ? If a coach or someone does not submit info it does not get in. Why do you think there was no pictures or big story about GC getting smiked by Smithtown. GC coach dos not want that all over paper. By the way nice offense GC. COACH F may actually have to coach this year. Does not have the depth or talent of years past.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coaches can only submit names of players who have won awards the previous year such as All American, All County, All Conference ect. Coaches usually assign an asst. coach or someone close to the program who sends in the scores, stats after every game and a short write up of the game. Newsday only sends someone out to games that are the so called better games of the weekend. They can't cover every game. Do you think Newsday calls every team for scores ? If a coach or someone does not submit info it does not get in. Why do you think there was no pictures or big story about GC getting smiked by Smithtown. GC coach dos not want that all over paper. By the way nice offense GC. COACH F may actually have to coach this year. Does not have the depth or talent of years past.

Inside Lacrosse sure noticed it! GC dropped in the polls!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then why didn't Smithtown submit pictures and the story to Newsday? You make it sound like GC has pictures on the Newsday editor!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So then no freshman will be mentioned? I mean, in our school the same kids get mentioned all the time and its not fair. They never ever mention defenders, and even though I play offense I think credit should be given to the defense too.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

So then no freshman will be mentioned? I mean, in our school the same kids get mentioned all the time and its not fair. They never ever mention defenders, and even though I play offense I think credit should be given to the defense too.

Amen on the dearth of defense recognition. I'd love to see the defenders get more love.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because the Home team is suppose to report the scores and unless the opposing coach sends in his own it will not get reported. You would expect the home team to do the right thing win or LOSE BADLY.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, that falls on the coach doing the reporting

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
According to various coaches the players newsday mentioned are upper classmen and/or anyone who was a recipient of an award the year before. Not necessarily based on talent as there are some excellent players already committed to collegiate programs that are not mentioned at all.

Hope this helps, have a great season everyone!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
According to various coaches the players newsday mentioned are upper classmen and/or anyone who was a recipient of an award the year before. Not necessarily based on talent as there are some excellent players already committed to collegiate programs that are not mentioned at all.

Hope this helps, have a great season everyone!

Not based on talent that's pretty cold.
It's obvious you are miffed someone was excluded.
But that doesn't negate the talented hard-working girls mentioned.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That was really some in depth CHSAA preview. Geez. Talk about mailing it in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coffee.... I just blew it OUT of my nostrils, and ALL OVER my keyboard. Ahhh, fun!

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard