BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 47 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 46 47
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Stop. There are some great public schools with great teachers and students. However, none of these compare to csh or private more broadly. Teachers teach to the bottom and when you can self select the bar is always higher. College placement is really the only objective comparison and it's not even close.

Stats please! Educated people back up their opinions with actual data, or else what you are attempting to say is meaningless

Manhasset High School average SAT score 1250 versus 1278 for Chaminade (Chaminade does not report the third SAT score); St. A's does not report scores. Not bad for MHS considering they take all comers and are unable to select the cream of the crop that Chaminade allegedly selects.

Seriously, Chaminade is wonderful school (as is St. A's), but both the people on the Catholic side of this argument and on the Public side of the argument are being a bit ridiculous.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stats? Not going to waste my time. It's all public information anyway. Good luck and do yourself a favor - and stop comparing your situation to Chaminade. You'll lose every time.

Chaminade is in it's own league. Some of these comments made comparing CHS to public school is silly. Just take grades for instance. Thousands of kids take the co-op test. CHS accepts a certain amount and aims for registration of 400 to 500 depending on the year. 2017 current freshman have over 500 in its class. So with this super selective process I think we can deduct that these kids are the brightest from their respective districts. I am also confident that when my son applies to college along with his gpa will be a school profile that speaks for itself. No AP's, no intel, no problem.
The student body is comprised of ALL types of districts from LI and even NJ, not just the best districts. So there is also a diversity among the student body.
Btw, these are facts and not my opinion.

Rich kids from the tri-state equal diversity?? A smart kid will excel and shine in any district. Having the opportunity to take AP classes in HS is huge; it can help gain admission to the super selective, as well as save money on tuition. Achieving honors in prestigious competitions can be a stepping stone into highly sought after placements in college research labs. Take districts such as Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and Commack, look at their statistics and you will see that the real facts don't lie. Public can be just as good, if not better than private. You are lucky that the private schools are only taking the brightest, that way when they have uncertified teachers teaching their classes, they will be able to learn on their own.

Best teachers? If you do not think that the kids in the top performing public schools are not getting extra help from involved parents and private tutors you have your head in the sand.

Lets have the teachers from Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor and Commack trade places with the teachers from the bottom three public districts and see what happens.

At least they are certified (passed qualifying exam, and are mandated to take additional course work)to teach their subjects, and are held accountable for their results!!

Stop. There are some great public schools with great teachers and students. However, none of these compare to csh or private more broadly. Teachers teach to the bottom and when you can self select the bar is always higher. College placement is really the only objective comparison and it's not even close.

Stats please! Educated people back up their opinions with actual data, or else what you are attempting to say is meaningless

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cage, hopefully you can let this link through.. not sure where to post it. It would work in just about every thread. This goes for older kids too, trust me I know.

http://fulleryouthinstitute.org/blo...say-to-their-kids-about-sportsor-any-per

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who is going to Shamrock Shoot out

Jesters "Black"

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Cage, hopefully you can let this link through.. not sure where to post it. It would work in just about every thread. This goes for older kids too, trust me I know.

Excellent post and six words to live by.

To provide some insight, I am now on the "north" side of college so these words resonate with me personally. Would love the chance to watch just one more game.

Thank you for the contribution.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Stats? Not going to waste my time. It's all public information anyway. Good luck and do yourself a favor - and stop comparing your situation to Chaminade. You'll lose every time."

Just like I thought, you've got nothing, except an empty wallet!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we stop this and talk lax. This is a n amazingly talented age group. Hopefully they'll play a lot during the spring and summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Funny but I was under the impression that the kids that went to catholic school couldn't cut it in a public school, whether it be discipline issues, trying to get away from the drugs that they were on previously, etc. Two different people, two different opinions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Funny but I was under the impression that the kids that went to catholic school couldn't cut it in a public school, whether it be discipline issues, trying to get away from the drugs that they were on previously, etc. Two different people, two different opinions.

I know 50+ kids from the 2017 class have already returned to public school - because the rigors and demands of the curriculum.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
6 words.....

I feel like I could have said them more earlier. Should have said them more.

Luckily; I still have time to do so.

Thanks for that post.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not a fan of all of these rah rah... Blogs and posts. Second time is saw this today. Sure there are evaluations in sports to determine fairness of teams, then there are requests... whether for coach, friends or car pool reasons.... and the once sort out "equal teams" become squewed and lop sided.

Any in house league whether tball or 8th grade rec hoops. Should have dedicated coaches so your child learns how to play a sport. You didnt sign up for all of this... Remember it is not about you... Cheer your child on... Play with them... encourage them... and above all be realistic... Nothing wrong with criticism and telling them this may not be your thing... as long as it is productive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know 50+ kids from the 2017 class have already returned to public school - because the rigors and demands of the curriculum.

Student failure, teacher failure. Exactly!! Hire a tutor or get out!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is in it's own league. Some of these comments made comparing CHS to public school is silly. Just take grades for instance. Thousands of kids take the co-op test. CHS accepts a certain amount and aims for registration of 400 to 500 depending on the year. 2017 current freshman have over 500 in its class. So with this super selective process I think we can deduct that these kids are the brightest from their respective districts. I am also confident that when my son applies to college along with his gpa will be a school profile that speaks for itself. No AP's, no intel, no problem.
The student body is comprised of ALL types of districts from LI and even NJ, not just the best districts. So there is also a diversity among the student body.

Rich kids from the tri-state equal diversity?? A smart kid will excel and shine in any district. Having the opportunity to take AP classes in HS is huge; it can help gain admission to the super selective, as well as save money on tuition. Achieving honors in prestigious competitions can be a stepping stone into highly sought after placements in college research labs. Take districts such as Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and Commack, look at their statistics and you will see that the real facts don't lie. Public can be just as good, if not better than private. You are lucky that the private schools are only taking the brightest, that way when they have uncertified teachers teaching their classes, they will be able to learn on their own.

Best teachers? If you do not think that the kids in the top performing public schools are not getting extra help from involved parents and private tutors you have your head in the sand.

Lets have the teachers from Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor and Commack trade places with the teachers from the bottom three public districts and see what happens.

At least they are certified (passed qualifying exam, and are mandated to take additional course work)to teach their subjects, and are held accountable for their results!!

If you want to argue that some of the public schools are just as good as some of the privates that fine but please do not argue that is is the teachers.

2012 data.

Top 10 Long Island Public High Schools

1. Jericho
2. Manhasset
3. Cold Spring Harbor
4. Roslyn
5. Plainview Old Bethpage
6. Garden City
7. Great Neck South
8. Syosset
9. Wheatley School
10. JFK

Bottom 10

10. Copiague
9. Brentwood
8. Bridgehampton
7. Amityville
6. Westbury
5. Freeport
4. Central Islip
3. Wyandanch
2. Hempstead
1. Roosevelt

Do you think it is the teachers who make the difference?

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
For those of you who have followed those graduating with education (elementary, secondary) degrees, you already know that the number of jobs avaiable is very limited. In particular, those who follow OLAS and similar sources know that many posted positions already have strong (insider) candidates identified.

What does this imply for Long Island near term? The very best student-teachers and potential full-time candidates are more plentiful for fewer spots than in years past. The very best candidates will be less choosy about the districts in which they find their first teaching positions locally or they will leave the Long Island area. Again, in years past with 100+ positions available across the Island, the best candidates might gravitate to the best districts. With that number greatly reduced, the selection of a specific district becomes less of an issue in order to find teaching employment.

What does this imply for the bottom end Long Island school districts? Stronger candidates who want to stay in teaching on the Island will be taking those roles. The teaching talent pool for those lower end districts SHOULD be increasing.

What does this imply for classroom performance? Despite being armed with better entry level teachers, are the students actually engaged to learn or are they going through the motions? If this is a teaching quality concern, we should see a gradual improvement in student performance over time, perhaps measured in decades.

Our point is that the local position contraction in the teaching profession caused by fewer teachers retiring and/or tenure should be forcing better candidates into the classrooms of the poorer school districts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you want to argue that some of the public schools are just as good as some of the privates that fine but please do not argue that is is the teachers.

2012 data.

1. Jericho
2. Manhasset
3. Cold Spring Harbor
4. Roslyn
6. Garden City
7. Great Neck South
8. Syosset
9. Wheatley School
10. JFK

Bottom 10

10. Copiague
9. Brentwood
8. Bridgehampton
7. Amityville
6. Westbury
5. Freeport
4. Central Islip
3. Wyandanch
2. Hempstead
1. Roosevelt

Absolutely! The better districts demand excellence in their educators, they have better training and supervision. Yes, the students have more parental support and a better work ethic, but the teaching is still top notch!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2012 data.

1. Jericho
2. Manhasset
3. Cold Spring Harbor
4. Roslyn
6. Garden City
7. Great Neck South
8. Syosset
9. Wheatley School
10. JFK

Bottom 10

10. Copiague
9. Brentwood
8. Bridgehampton
7. Amityville
6. Westbury
5. Freeport
4. Central Islip
3. Wyandanch
2. Hempstead
1. Roosevelt

Absolutely! The better districts demand excellence in their educators, they have better training and supervision. Yes, the students have more parental support and a better work ethic, but the teaching is still top notch!

I disagree that the teachers are so much better in these districts. My wife teaches in an economically depressed district and the obstacles these children face outside of school play a role that we cannot imagine. The teachers in her district work extremely hard to try to help these children overcome these obstacles. All of the above mentioned districts are people with money and can afford to provide their children with tutors and other educational enhancements. Jericho is a great district but just curious how their SAT scores are now that they were caught cheating. A few years back it was revealed that the SAT prep course in that district had a teacher that had copies in advance of the test.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2012 data.

1. Jericho
2. Manhasset
3. Cold Spring Harbor
4. Roslyn
6. Garden City
7. Great Neck South
8. Syosset
9. Wheatley School
10. JFK

Bottom 10

10. Copiague
9. Brentwood
8. Bridgehampton
7. Amityville
6. Westbury
5. Freeport
4. Central Islip
3. Wyandanch
2. Hempstead
1. Roosevelt

Not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, the kids learn all on their own? Why even send them to school at all. Silly person

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So, the kids learn all on their own? Why even send them to school at all. Silly person

I guess you are a teacher in a good district.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Teachers in those "lower" schools are incredible gifted and dedicated, often spending money out of their own pocket for students and their classroom, There is no doubt that districts that pay the top salaries are going to attract the top teachers and have the pick of the litter and those teachers probably prosper in those environments but a dedicated teacher that spends 30 years in those other districts have a much more rewarding professional career. They can really make a difference in a young persons life and many many teachers choose the profession to do just that. Thank you to all the teachers that teach our kids and put up with us parents in all the districts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Teachers in those "lower" schools are incredible gifted and dedicated, often spending money out of their own pocket for students and their classroom, There is no doubt that districts that pay the top salaries are going to attract the top teachers and have the pick of the litter and those teachers probably prosper in those environments but a dedicated teacher that spends 30 years in those other districts have a much more rewarding professional career. They can really make a difference in a young persons life and many many teachers choose the profession to do just that. Thank you to all the teachers that teach our kids and put up with us parents in all the districts.

Stop, let's be real on this subject. The unspoken real truth here about the difference in these two groups of schools, is family structure. Not teachers. I would venture to say that 90% of the kids in the lower end school districts come from single parent families. Most likely 70% were born out of wedlock. While 90-95% of the kids in the top school districts come from two parent families. The reality is, kids who come from two parent families and who are born into a family where the parents are married do far better in school and in life. That's a reality. The fundamental difference in these schools is parental involvement and family values.
Don't start telling me I'm wrong, do a few google searches and read the information for yourself. Some may not want to agree, but the truth is sometimes shocking.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we just get back to LAX.. if you want to talk schools, start another forum.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THANK YOU!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop, let's be real on this subject. The unspoken real truth here about the difference in these two groups of schools, is family structure. Not teachers. I would venture to say that 90% of the kids in the lower end school districts come from single parent families. Most likely 70% were born out of wedlock. While 90-95% of the kids in the top school districts come from two parent families. The reality is, kids who come from two parent families and who are born into a family where the parents are married do far better in school and in life. That's a reality. The fundamental difference in these schools is parental involvement and family values.
Don't start telling me I'm wrong, do a few google searches and read the information for yourself. Some may not want to agree, but the truth is sometimes shocking.

So these percentages and stereotypes are your opinion or some facts you learned during a google search? 95 is a big number!

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Yes, indeed stop, let's be real on this subject.

Your numbers are without backing and you are painting entire districts with a very broad brush.

How about sharing those easy to find Google search results that assert your metrics on these districts? When BOTC offers a perspective, we share the source on the data. Why not take a page from that book and share your sources?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Yes, indeed stop, let's be real on this subject.

Your numbers are without backing and you are painting entire districts with a very broad brush.

How about sharing those easy to find Google search results that assert your metrics on these districts? When BOTC offers a perspective, we share the source on the data. Why not take a page from that book and share your sources?

From the US CENSUS BUREAU. These are not my assertions, they are our government's facts. My post could not be more accurate.
http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram...links-poverty-with-out-of-wedlock-births

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
From the US CENSUS BUREAU. These are not my assertions, they are our government's facts. My post could not be more accurate.
The article asserts the link between poverty and out-of-wedlock births. While an important piece of social research, this was not the discussion at hand related to the school district discussion, positive or negative.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the recent rash of 2017 commits; will there be undue pressures for the emerging 2018's as they enter the summer tournament and showcase season to perform at a higher level? Will their be a noticeable trend toward attempts at scoring when a pass could have or should have been made?

Obviously it is now well known that college coaches from D1-3 will be taking a closer look at this group than previously thought or believed.

Thoughts?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the recent rash of 2017 commits; will there be undue pressures for the emerging 2018's as they enter the summer tournament and showcase season to perform at a higher level? Will their be a noticeable trend toward attempts at scoring when a pass could have or should have been made?

Obviously it is now well known that college coaches from D1-3 will be taking a closer look at this group than previously thought or believed.

Thoughts?

Absolutely, My 6th grader already feels it! Not just about fun anymore at this age, the way it should be!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The article asserts the link between poverty and out-of-wedlock births. While an important piece of social research, this was not the discussion at hand related to the school district discussion, positive or negative.

Actually, it was. The discussion was about Private vs Public and how top school districts compete against the privates. It was further discussed that teachers were also a driver in student success, or lack there of. My post correctly points out that student success has little to do with public, private, or teachers. It is clearly driven by parental involvement and family structure, as proven by the Federal Government's own facts, not by my opinion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually, it was. The discussion was about Private vs Public and how top school districts compete against the privates. It was further discussed that teachers were also a driver in student success, or lack there of. My post correctly points out that student success has little to do with public, private, or teachers. It is clearly driven by parental involvement and family structure, as proven by the Federal Government's own facts, not by my opinion.

What are the govenment studys on "crazy parents who can't get off the youth sports blog" and the success of the students?
I'm sure you are equally as entertaining on the sidelines!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What are the govenment studys on "crazy parents who can't get off the youth sports blog" and the success of the students?

Ugh... You do realize you're posting on the same blog! Oh right, it's different when you post, got it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ugh... You do realize you're posting on the same blog! Oh right, it's different when you post, got it.

Correct.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Showcase events for the 2018 players. Which to do and which ones are the best on east coast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Brine Nationals are upcoming. They held the LI regional - but if you missed it you can attend the Connecticut or Jersey regional upcoming in 2 weeks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Brine Nationals are upcoming. They held the LI regional - but if you missed it you can attend the Connecticut or Jersey regional upcoming in 2 weeks.

We all know where the Brine event has gone when local coaches are involved in the selection process. What other events are out there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We all know where the Brine event has gone when local coaches are involved in the selection process. What other events are out there.

Brine and JR are both good events for rising 9th graders.

Using other areas to get into Brine can work, but then your son's team will have to go up against the best of the island and MD. Making the finals with Brine gets a lot of attention. The college coaches of the teams that didnt make the finals were watching rather intently last summer.

JR is a great collection of players and top notch competition. Probably a toss up at this point if college coaches will attend it. There was a "boycott"? by many in "protest" of the early recruiting last summer, but it didn't stop a few from observing and given the significant amount of commitments it would seem that they will prob be taking a peak this summer. After that, Philly showcase is attended heavily by D1-3 coaches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Using other areas to get into Brine can work, but then your son's team will have to go up against the best of the island and MD. Making the finals with Brine gets a lot of attention. The college coaches of the teams that didnt make the finals were watching rather intently last summer.

JR is a great collection of players and top notch competition. Probably a toss up at this point if college coaches will attend it. There was a "boycott"? by many in "protest" of the early recruiting last summer, but it didn't stop a few from observing and given the significant amount of commitments it would seem that they will prob be taking a peak this summer. After that, Philly showcase is attended heavily by D1-3 coaches.

Sorry. What's JR

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry. What's JR

JR is Jake Reed Nike Blue chip camp
The 3D program feeds it with qualifiers for the freshman season. About half of those are selected for the rising sophomore summer blue chip camp and another 1/2 or so must re qualify the winter In between.
Some will say its a huge money grab (but what isn't in LAX these days?)
Good competition in any case and exposure of how the higher showcases are apt to be run.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Isn't it too late for 2018s to registire for Jake Reed? Didn't you have to attend one of the 3d camps in January to be considered? No direct invites for 2018 age group. If I am wrong I would love to know.

Another camp I haven't heaard discussed here is Top Prospect. Any feedback on this one?

We went to Brine last summer (as a rising 8th). It was valuable experience on what to expeect at an all-star event. Also attended 3d a few weeks ago. Even if you don't expect to verbal as a freshman, attending some of these showcase style events at this age will help your boy prepare and know what to expect later on. Unfortunately, there is a lot of money spent already.

Page 20 of 47 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard