BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 128 1 2 3 127 128
Crabs Lacrosse / Baltimore Lacrosse Club
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This thread will be used to carry news and discussions covering the Crabs Lacrosse program.

The Baltimore Lacrosse Club, Inc is a 501-C-3 state registered non profit.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Crabs Lacrosse / Baltimore Lacrosse Club
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What criteria do the Crabs use for their invitational tournaments? I notice they exclude certain teams that are of a high caliber and invite other clubs that are marginal (I understand the quality of clubs year to year)...they seems to invite teams and bracket them so Crabs are guaranteed a semi final or final slot...Crabs are a good team but the owner seems more focused on marketing his brand than making the boys better or getting the best talent in his tourneys

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What criteria do the Crabs use for their invitational tournaments? I notice they exclude certain teams that are of a high caliber and invite other clubs that are marginal (I understand the quality of clubs year to year)...they seems to invite teams and bracket them so Crabs are guaranteed a semi final or final slot...Crabs are a good team but the owner seems more focused on marketing his brand than making the boys better or getting the best talent in his tourneys

LOL. I am not with the Crabs, but that is a ridiculous statement. Take a look at the caliber of teams that were at Crabfeast:

Breakers
Crabs
CT Chargers
Dukes
Greene Turtle South
Laxachusetts
Express
Madlax
Sweet Lax

Those are some of the best teams in that class. Everyone knows that Breakers/Aloha stacks their tournaments to help their teams get to the playoffs. I didn't see the Crabs putting themselves in the weakest bracket possible.

Stop crying just because your son's team didn't get invited to a Crabs tournament.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoa..why attack the breakers. Maybe we should skip the Crab tournaments and go elsewhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
This thread will be used to carry news and discussions covering the Crabs Lacrosse program.

The Baltimore Lacrosse Club, Inc is a 501-C-3 state registered non profit that pays for the owners mortgage, childrens tuition and BCC membership....LOL

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by CageSage

The Baltimore Lacrosse Club, Inc is a 501-C-3 state registered non profit that pays for the owners mortgage, childrens tuition and BCC membership....LOL
Too many readers misunderstand the actual meaning of non-profit 501(c)(3) entities. One thing it does not mean is that there are no salaries being paid. It does imply a federal tax filing status.

501(c)(3) — Religious, Educational, Charitable, Scientific, Literary, Testing for Public Safety, to Foster National or International Amateur Sports Competition, or Prevention of Cruelty to Children or Animals Organizations

501(c)(3) exemptions apply to corporations, and any community chest, fund, cooperating association or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, to foster national or international amateur sports competition, to promote the arts, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.[14][15] There are also supporting organizations which are often referred to in shorthand form as "Friends of" organizations.[16][17][18][19][20]

Another provision, 26 U.S.C. § 170, provides a deduction, for federal income tax purposes, for some donors who make charitable contributions to most types of 501(c)(3) organizations, among others. Regulations specify which such deductions must be verifiable to be allowed (e.g., receipts for donations over $250). Due to the tax deductions associated with donations, loss of 501(c)(3) status can be highly challenging to a charity's continued operation, as many foundations and corporate matching programs do not grant funds to a charity without such status, and individual donors often do not donate to such a charity due to the unavailability of the deduction.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Baltimore Lacrosse Club, Inc is a 501-C-3 state registered non profit that pays for the owners mortgage, childrens tuition and BCC membership....LOL [/quote]

I think this post is both not accurate and is unfair. Yes, most club teams are 501-C-3 non-profits. And that is to manage the club. Inflows are player fees and outflows are fields rentals, insurance, coaches compensation, swag and other hard expenses to administer the club. Crabs is one of those among many.

It is true that in addition to the non-profit to run a club status, that the same club owners have a second and separate entity that is a for profit enterprise to run showcase events and/or tournaments. Many club owners do this...Adrenaline, Crabs, Madlax, Trilogy, etc. Yes, having a for profit side is maybe something people have an issue with since the club owners do profit well by it, but in fairness this is all transparent to you and all others. I see a point to your arguments, but to impute that Crabs guy or others are doing something wrong or possibly illegal is way off. They are working a system and the system is flush with cash to be had. The American way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with this post fully. When a team is for profit you know what you are getting up front. These daddy run smaller clubs hang on to kids because they know the kids dad or mom for 3 or 4 years. They also beg the better players to stay with there club and give them a hard time when they want to go play with a Crabs,VLC or Madlax. Even though the player is a AA level player. The gym you go to takes 85$ a month and no one is mad at them. All the big clubs put there fees on ther websites for you to see.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am interested in how many of the Crabs are age appropriate or hold-backs...the Long Island board keeps pointing to them as the biggest benefactors of holding players back and getting a competitive advantage. I don't agree but can someone put numbers up to quiet the Long Island lax folks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It depends. Through U15 they are age appropriate. Like most other clubs and tournaments, they use 9/1 as the cutoff. A 7th grader with a birthday in Aug 2000 or earlier would play U15 for them. Once this same kid gets to High School, he would play with the 2019 team regardless of DOB.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
8 or 9 of the 2017 team are holdbacks and 2 of those players should be juniors. Fair right ? Pretty sad when freshmen can drive to their own games.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The use of "age appropriate" is interesting.
8th grade year is when most reclassings occur. The U15 age group allows kids old enough to be in 2017 class, current ninth graders, yet they are "age appropriate" for U15, provided they don't play JV.

How many kids on Crabs U15 are old enough to be in 2017 grad yr, born before 9/1/99? How many reclassed or did a pre-first year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI Dad here--

Yes, there has been alot of complaining about holdbacks. For the 2018 graduating class, how old are the boys on the team...same question for 2017.

If the players are age appropriate for their graduating year, then there is nothing left to say except sorry! If the 2018 graduating class boys are 1999 birthdays, and the 2017 are 1998 birthdays they are holdbacks (other than last quarter birthdays)...

truth is none of us from LI even care, until MD people start talking about how much better your teams are--similar posts regarding the recent assent of the Dukes clubs...of course kids that are one year older play better because they are bigger stronger, faster...once everyone hits 17, the advantage become less important.

So, if LI has it wrong, please explain.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs have gone to a graduation year model for their 2021 and 2020 teams

50% of their 2021 team is with players that have already been held back a year and would be playing U13, not U11

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crabs have gone to a graduation year model for their 2021 and 2020 teams

50% of their 2021 team is with players that have already been held back a year and would be playing U13, not U11

They should change their web page to say "Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Older"!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amazing. The Long Island parents will complain
about age differential but you'll still show up to play
at our tournaments. Please find another excuse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Amazing. The Long Island parents will complain
about age differential but you'll still show up to play
at our tournaments. Please find another excuse.

We play anybody, playing up in age makes our kids better. It would however, be nice to choose to play up. Although, I guess we've all learned if you go to MD, your going to be playing up.
No excuses, we know the deal. What's your excuse for not be able to compete in age based tournaments that require birth certificates? Why do your teams duck those tournaments?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The age issue doesn't bother anyone in Maryland (and most of the boys are in the appropriate age brackets)...see you at Crabfeast. And this does seem to work, 2 Crabs committed to Hopkins, more D1 commits on the way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The age issue doesn't bother anyone in Maryland (and most of the boys are in the appropriate age brackets)...see you at Crabfeast. And this does seem to work, 2 Crabs committed to Hopkins, more D1 commits on the way.

Sure they do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes they did and let's be honest. One was a B level player in his own age group 2 years ago and had to reclass to be remotely competitive and the other could/should be a junior by now. Yes it's working great and you can have all the credit. Lots for this club to be proud of! Haha. I'm sure the majority of MD parents are happy to have you speak for them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is particularly classless to attack the kids. Are you trying to make an argument that Hopkins offers out to B level players? Give it a rest. Our son plays for a rival club and goes to the same school and is in the same local circles with many of the Crabs kids and we know the families. There are a few holdback kids on that team, yes. And that is in a minority. In our son's class are five Crabs kids who are 14. Why the personal attacks? You think Ryan McClernan runs lousy tournaments? Really? Clubs all across the country flock to his events, they are well run, they are well priced at about $1500 per team (without the Adrenaline $300 "player fee" on top of the $2000 team fee piling on), the Crabs owner keeps it tight and well run with best officials (no cattle calls with 60 teams in each age group stuffed in a venue). Oh, and HE hires a videographer and gives a free copy to the college coaches who attend his events and sells game tapes to the clubs at a very reasonable rate. One D1 coach we know was very complimentary of the game videos con gratis. Really, McClernan is nothing relative in this market to criticize.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounded to me like it was just a comment on the holdbacks issue and how unfair it is to teams who don't use them a regular basis and that bragging about the 2 commit that are holdbacks just makes the point even clearer for us. I don't see any mention of the clubs tournaments. But you sure seem pretty defensive of him and the club. Gotta wonder why? Protecting the kids I get but wow sounds like a man crush to me! Keep up the good work for the cause!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one is picking on the crab organization or the tournaments they run. Express team my son plays with was happy to be invited to young gunz and completely agree that was a well run, well attended program.

I think what get's the LI people going (only some of them)is the reclass/holdback argument. I also don't think it is fair (not sure this approach for lax pays off in the end), but hoenstly don't care enough to worry about it.

Look forward to playing crabs every year, and this year is no different.

I think we would beat your 2018 team more often if you didn't have a phenomenal goalie...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just for clarification, there is NO Crabs 2018 team. There is a U15AA and a U15A (Hardshells). These teams play in tournaments where all kids are 9/1/1999 or younger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, sorry, we played the U-13 team at Crabfest last summer...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the U15 team has a middie who should be a 10th grader but is in 8th grade...how does that work?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just for clarification, there is NO Crabs 2018 team. There is a U15AA and a U15A (Hardshells). These teams play in tournaments where all kids are 9/1/1999 or younger.

u-15 is 9-1-1998

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop it. Their tourneys are all age-based at U15, not grad year based. I doubt any player on that team is 8/31/98 or older.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is currently no way to verify that the birthdate specs are obeyed, correct? Football posts rosters with ID photos. These IDs are obtained by sending birth certificate in to league, where we live, anyway. I realize that this will not happen too soon, but boy what a help this would be. I guess that for now we rely upon the honesty of coaches and parents. where could THAT go wrong?!?!?!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is currently no way to verify that the birthdate specs are obeyed, correct? Football posts rosters with ID photos. These IDs are obtained by sending birth certificate in to league, where we live, anyway. I realize that this will not happen too soon, but boy what a help this would be. I guess that for now we rely upon the honesty of coaches and parents. where could THAT go wrong?!?!?!

MD teams play down, always have. Go to the U-15 Championship produce the birth certificates. Reach the finals against kids the same age, and I'll never say another word about age. YOUR CLUB WON'T do it. By the way, try doing it without using kids from 10 different states.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MD teams play down, always have. Go to the U-15 Championship produce the birth certificates. Reach the finals against kids the same age, and I'll never say another word about age. YOUR CLUB WON'T do it. By the way, try doing it without using kids from 10 different states.

Said the Dad whose son was clobbered by the Crabs

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I find this debate so fascinating... There is no resolution coming (or at least it appears so) so this will continue to be a circular conversation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The one thing you all seem to forget is that differet states have different age cutoffs for Kindergarten. In LI it is Dec. 31 and in MD/VA most districts are 9/1. So if your kid is a July/Aug birthday you might hold them back then so they are better prepared for school. Very few kids are held back after that. The difference in the cutoff dates makes more of a impact than you think. On my sons team which is one of the teams mentioned there is only one kid that was held back after kindergarten or reclassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The one thing you all seem to forget is that differet states have different age cutoffs for Kindergarten. In LI it is Dec. 31 and in MD/VA most districts are 9/1. So if your kid is a July/Aug birthday you might hold them back then so they are better prepared for school. Very few kids are held back after that. The difference in the cutoff dates makes more of a impact than you think. On my sons team which is one of the teams mentioned there is only one kid that was held back after kindergarten or reclassed.

Yup. And California is September too. We have a son who turned 12 in September who is in 6th grade by the rules and not by our determination. Frankly I would be offended it anyone said he's a cheater or we are, but let's stop wasting time...the LI posters are trolling. Don't feed the trolls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LI cutoff is dec 1

Yup. And California is September too. We have a son who turned 12 in September who is in 6th grade by the rules and not by our determination. Frankly I would be offended it anyone said he's a cheater or we are, but let's stop wasting time...the LI posters are trolling. Don't feed the trolls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Us lacrosse uses 9.1 too FYI as their cut off date.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here is the funniest thing about us Long Islanders, the big time clubs both boys and girls (Express, 91, Yellow Jackets, Top Guns) do nothing but brag about how good they are. If you read any of the forums from any of those clubs you will see post after post how team A is so dominate that the only way they can find any real competition is to play up 1 or 2 age groups, But when a team from Maryland beats them they immediately start complaining about how you guys are cheating.
This is not to say that every parent from the afore mentioned clubs are complaining and crying about this topic, just the ones that either think the world revolves around Long Island and there precious little superstar, or can't stand losing so much that they must find a reason that there little superstar isn't the absolute best at everything
truth is both states are still producing the best Lacrosse players on the planet. Other states are starting to catch up but are not even close to what we can produce. The warm weather states think they will surpass us because they can play outside year round, But I think we easterners know the value of the inside game. Lets thank god for snow

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here is the funniest thing about us Long Islanders, the big time clubs both boys and girls (Express, 91, Yellow Jackets, Top Guns) do nothing but brag about how good they are. If you read any of the forums from any of those clubs you will see post after post how team A is so dominate that the only way they can find any real competition is to play up 1 or 2 age groups, But when a team from Maryland beats them they immediately start complaining about how you guys are cheating.
This is not to say that every parent from the afore mentioned clubs are complaining and crying about this topic, just the ones that either think the world revolves around Long Island and there precious little superstar, or can't stand losing so much that they must find a reason that there little superstar isn't the absolute best at everything
truth is both states are still producing the best Lacrosse players on the planet. Other states are starting to catch up but are not even close to what we can produce. The warm weather states think they will surpass us because they can play outside year round, But I think we easterners know the value of the inside game. Lets thank god for snow

In my opinion, the issue of freshman being recruited has made the cut off age a very hot topic. Just a yr or 2 ago they were recruiting jrs and face it jrs have matured a bit and are playing varsity. So colleges were generally looking at kids playing kids in their own geographic area with same age cut off dates. Everything good. Now flash forward to today where coaches need to see kids play on travel teams where cutoff dates are different and the kids from ny play much older kids in Maryland. Not fair but it is what it is. So I think this is just the beginning of seeing ny players reclassify sometime before 9th grade. Personally, we saw this coming from having older players and chose our child to repeat 8th grade. All doors are open for our child literally. We really don't care what our fellow LIers think because we know we did the right thing for our child. So my words of wisdom to players with late bdays in ny, if you don't align your child's bday with the rest of the hotbeds then accept the consequences and don't cry about it. It is what it is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In my opinion, the issue of freshman being recruited has made the cut off age a very hot topic. Just a yr or 2 ago they were recruiting jrs and face it jrs have matured a bit and are playing varsity. So colleges were generally looking at kids playing kids in their own geographic area with same age cut off dates. Everything good. Now flash forward to today where coaches need to see kids play on travel teams where cutoff dates are different and the kids from ny play much older kids in Maryland. Not fair but it is what it is. So I think this is just the beginning of seeing ny players reclassify sometime before 9th grade. Personally, we saw this coming from having older players and chose our child to repeat 8th grade. All doors are open for our child literally. We really don't care what our fellow LIers think because we know we did the right thing for our child. So my words of wisdom to players with late bdays in ny, if you don't align your child's bday with the rest of the hotbeds then accept the consequences and don't cry about it. It is what it is.

Or to put it a little differently, your son could not compete at his age. So you gamed the system and had him go down and play with the little kids. A very honorable choice for the sport. You should be very proud of what you taught your son. No chance this lesson you taught him will have any negative impact on his own decision making process in his adult life? Right? Ya know, just do anything to get ahead. Just as long as you're not breaking any specific rule, it's ok. That mind set should serve your son well in life. Sad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or to put it a little differently, your son could not compete at his age. So you gamed the system and had him go down and play with the little kids. A very honorable choice for the sport. You should be very proud of what you taught your son. No chance this lesson you taught him will have any negative impact on his own decision making process in his adult life? Right? Ya know, just do anything to get ahead. Just as long as you're not breaking any specific rule, it's ok. That mind set should serve your son well in life. Sad.

You, my friend, have just fallen into the whining catagory. You're pathetic!

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 128 1 2 3 127 128
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard