Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
Anonymous #52968 02/12/14 10:04 AM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Rich kids from the tri-state equal diversity?? A smart kid will excel and shine in any district. Having the opportunity to take AP classes in HS is huge; it can help gain admission to the super selective, as well as save money on tuition. Achieving honors in prestigious competitions can be a stepping stone into highly sought after placements in college research labs. Take districts such as Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and Commack, look at their statistics and you will see that the real facts don't lie. Public can be just as good, if not better than private. You are lucky that the private schools are only taking the brightest, that way when they have uncertified teachers teaching their classes, they will be able to learn on their own.
Taking AP courses in High School is not enough to stamp yourself as worthy of Top 40 institutions. Taking the most rigorous courses available at your High School is a baseline requirement with performance in those courses and so many other factors contributing to the final acceptance. However, you are correct that Advanced Placement does contribute heavily.

Another point to remember is that while courses can be waived (for example, a "4" or "5" on the Calculus BC exam will often waive first and second semester College Calculus), you will need to check with the individual school regarding credits in residence requirements; in other words, do the credits awarded count to the number needed for the degree or just do they just waive the need to take a given course?

Also note that some school districts (Commack for example) do not typically follow an AP Curriculum, but license the International Baccalaureate (IB) system. Lesser known than the AP Program, IB offers similar course work with a slightly different focus on writing skills.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #52969 02/12/14 10:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is in it's own league. Some of these comments made comparing CHS to public school is silly. Just take grades for instance. Thousands of kids take the co-op test. CHS accepts a certain amount and aims for registration of 400 to 500 depending on the year. 2017 current freshman have over 500 in its class. So with this super selective process I think we can deduct that these kids are the brightest from their respective districts. I am also confident that when my son applies to college along with his gpa will be a school profile that speaks for itself. No AP's, no intel, no problem.
The student body is comprised of ALL types of districts from LI and even NJ, not just the best districts. So there is also a diversity among the student body.
Btw, these are facts and not my opinion.

Rich kids from the tri-state equal diversity?? A smart kid will excel and shine in any district. Having the opportunity to take AP classes in HS is huge; it can help gain admission to the super selective, as well as save money on tuition. Achieving honors in prestigious competitions can be a stepping stone into highly sought after placements in college research labs. Take districts such as Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and Commack, look at their statistics and you will see that the real facts don't lie. Public can be just as good, if not better than private. You are lucky that the private schools are only taking the brightest, that way when they have uncertified teachers teaching their classes, they will be able to learn on their own.

Best teachers? If you do not think that the kids in the top performing public schools are not getting extra help from involved parents and private tutors you have your head in the sand.

Lets have the teachers from Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor and Commack trade places with the teachers from the bottom three public districts and see what happens.

CageSage #52972 02/12/14 10:50 AM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Originally Posted by CageSage
Taking AP courses in High School is not enough to stamp yourself as worthy of Top 40 institutions. Taking the most rigorous courses available at your High School is a baseline requirement with performance in those courses and so many other factors contributing to the final acceptance. However, you are correct that Advanced Placement does contribute heavily.
Ironically, Newsday published an article just today citing that New [lacrosse] State is currently ranked 7th in the nation on AP test scores.

NYS Ranks 7th in Nation in AP Test Scores

New [lacrosse] placed seventh nationally in the percentage of public high school students succeeding on Advanced Placement exams in 2013, moving one step up compared with 2012, according to a College Board report released Tuesday.

Maryland was at the top, with 29.6 percent of students there who took the exams scoring a 3 or better, followed by Connecticut, Virginia, Massachusetts, Florida and California. The top score on the tests is 5.

New [lacrosse] came in at 25.4 percent, above the 23.5 percent of 2012, when the state ranked eighth nationwide, the Manhattan-based College Board said.

The article goes on to discuss that 44,909 students in New [lacrosse] State scored a 3 or better on at least one exam in comparison with 29,479 in 2003. Of course, the broader push for AP exams over the last decade is in part underpinning this data point. In fact, some districts are reporting an increase of nearly 100% in AP/IB course registrants over just the last five years.

Anonymous #52973 02/12/14 10:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is in it's own league. Some of these comments made comparing CHS to public school is silly. Just take grades for instance. Thousands of kids take the co-op test. CHS accepts a certain amount and aims for registration of 400 to 500 depending on the year. 2017 current freshman have over 500 in its class. So with this super selective process I think we can deduct that these kids are the brightest from their respective districts. I am also confident that when my son applies to college along with his gpa will be a school profile that speaks for itself. No AP's, no intel, no problem.
The student body is comprised of ALL types of districts from LI and even NJ, not just the best districts. So there is also a diversity among the student body.

Best teachers? If you do not think that the kids in the top performing public schools are not getting extra help from involved parents and private tutors you have your head in the sand.

Lets have the teachers from Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor and Commack trade places with the teachers from the bottom three public districts and see what happens.

At least they are certified (passed qualifying exam, and are mandated to take additional course work)to teach their subjects, and are held accountable for their results!!

Anonymous #52975 02/12/14 11:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At least they are certified (passed qualifying exam, and are mandated to take additional course work)to teach their subjects, and are held accountable for their results!!

Overrated...big time

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #52979 02/12/14 11:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop. There are some great public schools with great teachers and students. However, none of these compare to csh or private more broadly. Teachers teach to the bottom and when you can self select the bar is always higher. College placement is really the only objective comparison and it's not even close.

Anonymous #52980 02/12/14 12:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are mistaken if you think rich kids go to Chaminade. Many tax rates are represented and don't fool yourself thinking that just because your son didn't have the foresight to take the test. Many are given scholarships in addition to a nice discount in tuition due to generous torch fund. And btw the last mention goes for each and every student. And I find it puzzling why every year you hear public school parents complain why their 3 ap class child bombed on the sat. Happenned in my town and they complain to the school board. It's a joke. Don't even get me started on public school teachers!

Anonymous #52992 02/12/14 03:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who is going to Shamrock Shoot out

Anonymous #52994 02/12/14 03:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop. There are some great public schools with great teachers and students. However, none of these compare to csh or private more broadly. Teachers teach to the bottom and when you can self select the bar is always higher. College placement is really the only objective comparison and it's not even close.

Stats please! Educated people back up their opinions with actual data, or else what you are attempting to say is meaningless

Anonymous #52995 02/12/14 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are mistaken if you think rich kids go to Chaminade. Many tax rates are represented and don't fool yourself thinking that just because your son didn't have the foresight to take the test. Many are given scholarships in addition to a nice discount in tuition due to generous torch fund. And btw the last mention goes for each and every student. And I find it puzzling why every year you hear public school parents complain why their 3 ap class child bombed on the sat. Happenned in my town and they complain to the school board. It's a joke. Don't even get me started on public school teachers!

Why not? Are you angry that you are paying top dollar for non-certified teachers who are not held accountable for their results? I would be!

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #52996 02/12/14 04:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stats please! Educated people back up their opinions with actual data, or else what you are attempting to say is meaningless

Manhasset High School average SAT score 1250 versus 1278 for Chaminade (Chaminade does not report the third SAT score); St. A's does not report scores. Not bad for MHS considering they take all comers and are unable to select the cream of the crop that Chaminade allegedly selects.

Seriously, Chaminade is wonderful school (as is St. A's), but both the people on the Catholic side of this argument and on the Public side of the argument are being a bit ridiculous.

Anonymous #52997 02/12/14 04:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stats? Not going to waste my time. It's all public information anyway. Good luck and do yourself a favor - and stop comparing your situation to Chaminade. You'll lose every time.

Anonymous #52999 02/12/14 05:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cage, hopefully you can let this link through.. not sure where to post it. It would work in just about every thread. This goes for older kids too, trust me I know.

http://fulleryouthinstitute.org/blo...say-to-their-kids-about-sportsor-any-per

Anonymous #53002 02/12/14 05:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who is going to Shamrock Shoot out

Jesters "Black"

Anonymous #53003 02/12/14 05:52 PM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Cage, hopefully you can let this link through.. not sure where to post it. It would work in just about every thread. This goes for older kids too, trust me I know.

http://fulleryouthinstitute.org/blo...say-to-their-kids-about-sportsor-any-per
Excellent post and six words to live by.

To provide some insight, I am now on the "north" side of college so these words resonate with me personally. Would love the chance to watch just one more game.

Thank you for the contribution.

Page 51 of 123 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 122 123

Link Copied to Clipboard