BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 41 of 70 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any confirm the rumor that a Team 91 defenseman just committed to the admission process at Penn? Don't know the kid personally but have seen him play. Seems like he works hard and congratulations to him if it is true. This would be the 2nd unconfirmed Penn commit of the 2017 class. The other kid is the Dukes FOGO.

Heard the same thing for both boys plus another middie from Dukes.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another kid just commited. This time a middie from FCA and Calvert Hall to Ohio State. According to Inside Lacrosse, that now makes 32 "public" commits. UNC (8), UVA (7) close to being filled up, John Hopkins has 7, Maryland 4. How many more commits to you think are outr there (meaning actual verbals) that have not gone public yet? 10/20/30? This is happening very quickly, admittedly a decent percentage of the 32 have re-classified into the 2017 class (e.g., were 2016s), but that is still a lot. Nothing slowing this early commit thing down apparently.

And yes he is a re-class - DOB 4/8/98 - Another Freshman who will be driving to school in 2 months

Would you like some cheese with that whine? Good Lord. What will you do when your son plays against HS teams with kids who are 2-3 years older?

There is a big difference of playing HS lacrosse with kids 2-3 years older when ALL the kids on the field have reached puberty, and a kid's parents reclassing him to play with kids barely hitting puberty to have him (appear) better. Remember when these holdbacks are showcased it's not against varstiy, it's against kids only in the recruiting year. My kid is a true 2017 and plays with varsity aged kids all the time and does well, he will end up where he ends up. If I used the system to our advantage and had him play with the 2018 young boys he would without question dominate. I couldn't do it, and embarrassed by the thought. I would have a very hard time feeling proud of anything he accomplished out of it regardless of the advantages and outcomes. If it is OK for others so be it.

I applaud you, sir. Bravo! :-) could not have said it better. Integrity is not dead.

Concur.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Different topic - anyone know much about the Champion's League tournament?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another kid just commited. This time a middie from FCA and Calvert Hall to Ohio State. According to Inside Lacrosse, that now makes 32 "public" commits. UNC (8), UVA (7) close to being filled up, John Hopkins has 7, Maryland 4. How many more commits to you think are outr there (meaning actual verbals) that have not gone public yet? 10/20/30? This is happening very quickly, admittedly a decent percentage of the 32 have re-classified into the 2017 class (e.g., were 2016s), but that is still a lot. Nothing slowing this early commit thing down apparently.

And yes he is a re-class - DOB 4/8/98 - Another Freshman who will be driving to school in 2 months

Would you like some cheese with that whine? Good Lord. What will you do when your son plays against HS teams with kids who are 2-3 years older?

There is a big difference of playing HS lacrosse with kids 2-3 years older when ALL the kids on the field have reached puberty, and a kid's parents reclassing him to play with kids barely hitting puberty to have him (appear) better. Remember when these holdbacks are showcased it's not against varstiy, it's against kids only in the recruiting year. My kid is a true 2017 and plays with varsity aged kids all the time and does well, he will end up where he ends up. If I used the system to our advantage and had him play with the 2018 young boys he would without question dominate. I couldn't do it, and embarrassed by the thought. I would have a very hard time feeling proud of anything he accomplished out of it regardless of the advantages and outcomes. If it is OK for others so be it.

I applaud you, sir. Bravo! :-) could not have said it better. Integrity is not dead.

Apparently the Breakers goalie from Baltimore that committed
to UVA last week already has his license and drives! That is a joke, no
wonder he looks bigger.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Apparently the Breakers goalie from Baltimore that committed
to UVA last week already has his license and drives! That is a joke, no
wonder he looks bigger.

So what. His breakers got lit up against top express teams. Turtles destroyed them every time and Orange did as well. Last time was this fall with a backup orange goalie...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like someones jealous!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Come on, I wish my kid could drive himself to practice!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would this person write, "so what?" ? Does that show anything? So What?! psycho

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Uhhh, committing to a great school/ team is good, right? (unless you hate him for it, or are insanely jealous)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UVA is a great school, the goalie is a good player, saw him at a tourney this fall. My point is, he looks great compared to kids 2 years younger than him but pretends he should be playing with these boys..getting into UVA tells me he has some smarts so Mommy and Daddy kept him back to be bigger and stronger than his classmates...we'll see how he compares in 3 years when size and speed catch up.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why would this person write, "so what?" ? Does that show anything? So What?! psycho

So what pertaining to who cares if he is older. BTW I'm closer to postal than psycho

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UVA is a great school, the goalie is a good player, saw him at a tourney this fall. My point is, he looks great compared to kids 2 years younger than him but pretends he should be playing with these boys..getting into UVA tells me he has some smarts so Mommy and Daddy kept him back to be bigger and stronger than his classmates...we'll see how he compares in 3 years when size and speed catch up.

God, you are obsessed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good player and good kid. Do you realize you are anonymously trashing a kid here?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If at first you can't succeed, play down, play down, play down. Disgusting. People want to congratulate this kid?? What's wrong with our sport? Of course these disgraceful coaches reward the behavior. Ask the kids that bust their butts, train, lift and play on age about what they think of this? Ask them if they think it's cheating them? Let's see... My kid is 6-1 175 and just an ok player... I've got it! Put him with kids 18-24 months younger and lets see if he stands out. The most insane thing ever... Once again, show me another CONTACT sport where this is allowed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Name a contact sport where it does NOT happen.
There seem to be three levels of perspectives with the reclassification issue.
Is it illegal, unethical, immoral?
Illegal, Clearly not.
Unethical? Maybe, depending on whether you consider someone working WITHIN the rules to provide an advantage to their child as unethical. Rules established by US Lacrosse govern. Rules established by regions apply to the regions.
Immoral? Depends on ones moral code, but most likely yes for most people. "Gaming a system" or "working within the rules" are justifications for the actions. That said, however, what of the non athlete parents out there who ask why an athlete can be admitted to a school with lesser grades. Isn't college about academics? If so, why is a 3.0 athlete getting in over my 3.6 drama student? Shouldn't all applicants, athlete and non-athlete be in the same general application pool? So the question is, how is that different that gaining an advantage over another athlete by reclassifying? Isn't the athlete using other criteria to improve their chances for selection over the non athlete? So what is the difference if one athlete gains an advantage over another?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If at first you can't succeed, play down, play down, play down. Disgusting. People want to congratulate this kid?? What's wrong with our sport? Of course these disgraceful coaches reward the behavior. Ask the kids that bust their butts, train, lift and play on age about what they think of this? Ask them if they think it's cheating them? Let's see... My kid is 6-1 175 and just an ok player... I've got it! Put him with kids 18-24 months younger and lets see if he stands out. The most insane thing ever... Once again, show me another CONTACT sport where this is allowed?

Kid can play, no doubt there..the age difference is disturbing...obviously someone is willing to take a bet

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Name a contact sport where it does NOT happen.
There seem to be three levels of perspectives with the reclassification issue.
Is it illegal, unethical, immoral?
Illegal, Clearly not.
Unethical? Maybe, depending on whether you consider someone working WITHIN the rules to provide an advantage to their child as unethical. Rules established by US Lacrosse govern. Rules established by regions apply to the regions.
Immoral? Depends on ones moral code, but most likely yes for most people. "Gaming a system" or "working within the rules" are justifications for the actions. That said, however, what of the non athlete parents out there who ask why an athlete can be admitted to a school with lesser grades. Isn't college about academics? If so, why is a 3.0 athlete getting in over my 3.6 drama student? Shouldn't all applicants, athlete and non-athlete be in the same general application pool? So the question is, how is that different that gaining an advantage over another athlete by reclassifying? Isn't the athlete using other criteria to improve their chances for selection over the non athlete? So what is the difference if one athlete gains an advantage over another?

As stated numerous times, football, soccer, hockey, etc all require age verification for all events. That's the answer to your first question. To your second question, race, gender and special talents, i.e. music will gain an advantage over the general applicant pool at most premier colleges. When you lay your twisted head down on your pillow at night, think about how you have taught your child that the only way he can get ahead in the world is to game the system. Surely, that won't manifest itself somewhere else in his life, will it? Think about it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017's
Leif Johnson, D, Garden City (N.Y.) has committed to the admissions process at Penn. The 6-foot, 180-pound athlete plays club for Team 91, named the overall MVP at the Philly Freshman Showcase and also attending Nike Blue Chip this past summer. He has plans to attend it again as well as Maverik Showtime in July. Johnson strongly considered Yale, Harvard, Duke and Notre Dame.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Football

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer, Hockey, Girls Field Hockey. Happens in every sport in various leagues, school districts etc. More prevalent in the career sports where 8th graders are committing to Nick Saban etc...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Soccer, Hockey, Girls Field Hockey. Happens in every sport in various leagues, school districts etc. More prevalent in the career sports where 8th graders are committing to Nick Saban etc...

Then de committing by 9th and again breaking another promise and their letter of intent in 12th...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious what folks think of the pg year. Is it gaming the system like reclassing? My son is a freshman, has been to all the right tournaments, is on one of the best club teams in the nation, but hasn't gotten any interest from colleges. He has several kids on his hs and club teams who have committed already. Athletically, he is equal to these kids, but shooting wise he's slightly behind he a started lacroase a little later than most on his team, An extra year of skill set development might do him well. Thoughts?

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Curious what folks think of the pg year. Is it gaming the system like reclassing? My son is a freshman, has been to all the right tournaments, is on one of the best club teams in the nation, but hasn't gotten any interest from colleges. He has several kids on his hs and club teams who have committed already. Athletically, he is equal to these kids, but shooting wise he's slightly behind he a started lacroase a little later than most on his team, An extra year of skill set development might do him well. Thoughts?
Think of it this way : this is a guaranteed fifth year of payments added to your college planning, often with a price tag in the $40,000-$50,000 range.

Therefore, if your son or daughter was to get a 0.25 scholarship at a four year private institution provided that he/she completes a PG year, you have financially "broken even" with your son or daughter now locked into the lacrosse program for four years. Should your child quit lacrosse in those four years, you are guaranteed to be behind in term of finances.

In a world where folks are struggling with massive collegiate debt loads, it is difficult to understand how the lacrosse culture still professes loyalty to the PG concept.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Think of it this way : this is a guaranteed fifth year of payments added to your college planning, often with a price tag in the $40,000-$50,000 range.

Therefore, if your son or daughter was to get a 0.25 scholarship at a four year private institution provided that he/she completes a PG year, you have financially "broken even" with your son or daughter now locked into the lacrosse program for four years. Should your child quit lacrosse in those four years, you are guaranteed to be behind in term of finances.

In a world where folks are struggling with massive collegiate debt loads, it is difficult to understand how the lacrosse culture still professes loyalty to the PG concept.

I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy. I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If we heard you right your kid is a freshman. Have patience. There are some great schools that do their recruiting later.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is "pg"?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If we heard you right your kid is a freshman. Have patience. There are some great schools that do their recruiting later.

What Schools?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is "pg"?

Post graduate, a year between HS and college

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy. I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.

Good question. When I was a D 1 athlete, I was fortunate enough to have a full ride. I did do a redshirt year and it was paid for.

It seems logical that with 5 years to use 4 years of NCAA eligibility; that whatever percentage per year of athletic aid a student is getting should be equivalent during the redshirt year.

Anyone else with current experience would probably have accurate data on this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A PG year can be beneficial in many ways, but should not be used as a way to hope for better looks from college coaches. If your son has been injured during the sophomore/junior school season or summer tournament games, the PG year can provide the extra time for being seen. From personal experience, the top boarding schools compete for PG student athletes much like college. They know who is being looked at by what colleges and the circumstances surrounding the PG option. It can be because of academics, injury, the position needed for a college team but not in that graduation year, etc...but it is naive to believe you will opt for a PG year and create a higher level of interest that was not there before. It is best to have secured some type of commitment /plan from college coaches you are in contact with as the PG year is not the time to be seen by college coaches. The lax season is far too late in the game for that option in a PG year. ( aside from academic DIII's that many boarding schools feed into) Boarding School lacrosse teams get the benefit of having the stud PG come from their school, but are not in the business of promoting said player for recruitment. If your options are better taking a PG year, then there is no downside. Older, ( not always, often gives some boys the chance to catch up to those held back and all), physically stronger, injury free and all is great, but the benefit of knowing how to manage your time better in a more independent atmosphere, live away from home but still be in a somewhat managed environment and the chance to meet students from all over the world is also a plus for any young man or woman.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy.
Who do you think is paying for all of these free rides? How many parents do you think are sending their children to Deerfield (or similar) to pick up the tabs of another? These institutions are not sitting on endowments that underpin many colleges. Do not assume that you will have a free year of 13th grade.

I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.
Since we are talking about redshirting, we will assume that your student-athlete has a National Letter of Intent and associated contract in hand. Read that material very carefully. While some colleges will honor the athletic scholarship during the redshirted year, others will pull the scholarship if medically unable to perform. You need to be absolutely sure that you know the terms of the agreement you sign.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy.
Who do you think is paying for all of these free rides? How many parents do you think are sending their children to Deerfield (or similar) to pick up the tabs of another? These institutions are not sitting on endowments that underpin many colleges. Do not assume that you will have a free year of 13th grade.

I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.
Since we are talking about redshirting, we will assume that your student-athlete has a National Letter of Intent and associated contract in hand. Read that material very carefully. While some colleges will honor the athletic scholarship during the redshirted year, others will pull the scholarship if medically unable to perform. You need to be absolutely sure that you know the terms of the agreement you sign.

I actually would not consider having my son do a PG year. Don't need to. Just stating a fact that these schools offer scholarships to talented athletes. They can then add to their resume of commitments. AS for the redshirt year, that was just a question. I noticed that many athletes do this. I was wondering what happens to the scholarship. Thanks for the info! Not claiming to be an expert, just want to stay informed correctly about options that may lie ahead.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A PG year can be beneficial in many ways, but should not be used as a way to hope for better looks from college coaches. If your son has been injured during the sophomore/junior school season or summer tournament games, the PG year can provide the extra time for being seen. From personal experience, the top boarding schools compete for PG student athletes much like college. They know who is being looked at by what colleges and the circumstances surrounding the PG option. It can be because of academics, injury, the position needed for a college team but not in that graduation year, etc...but it is naive to believe you will opt for a PG year and create a higher level of interest that was not there before. It is best to have secured some type of commitment /plan from college coaches you are in contact with as the PG year is not the time to be seen by college coaches. The lax season is far too late in the game for that option in a PG year. ( aside from academic DIII's that many boarding schools feed into) Boarding School lacrosse teams get the benefit of having the stud PG come from their school, but are not in the business of promoting said player for recruitment. If your options are better taking a PG year, then there is no downside. Older, ( not always, often gives some boys the chance to catch up to those held back and all), physically stronger, injury free and all is great, but the benefit of knowing how to manage your time better in a more independent atmosphere, live away from home but still be in a somewhat managed environment and the chance to meet students from all over the world is also a plus for any young man or woman.

Pannell took a PG year to get out of his of his original commitment. Look how that played out for him!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A PG year for athletic purposes is usually only considered after a college commitment is already made. As far as "scholarships" are concerned don't kid yourself. We're not talking about the Harvard endowment here. Thsese schools are in the business of staying viable for the long run and not in the business of charity. There is need-based financial aid available from some of these schools but it is extrememly limited and the criteria is extremely rigid and may be just in the form of loans and not grants although a combination of the two is common if you are awarded anything. That said, you will be lucky to pay only $35-$40k instead of $50-55k per year, not including an additional several thousand dollars for all of the additional expenses of a year living away from home including travel, laundry service, schoool trips, spending money etc...We looked into it and decided it didn't make sense for our family situation, particularly since our son did not have a D1 commitment.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good question. When I was a D 1 athlete, I was fortunate enough to have a full ride. I did do a redshirt year and it was paid for.

It seems logical that with 5 years to use 4 years of NCAA eligibility; that whatever percentage per year of athletic aid a student is getting should be equivalent during the redshirt year.

Anyone else with current experience would probably have accurate data on this. [/quote]

I would gather a guess you were a revenue sport scholarship athlete. I plainly don't believe that lacrosse coaches would amortize such scarcity (only 12.5 for the team) to tie up money for five years instead of four. Money is just too tight to make it work to give a kid 5 years of money one of which is not on the field. Hence the coaches' love affair with getting families to consider reclassifying or doing a PG year on the parental dime and not their own.

Every BCS football player is on a 5 year ride. The money is there to do it, and that is the difference.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Every BCS football player is on a 5 year ride. The money is there to do it, and that is the difference.
Remember that BCS Football (in NCAA Division I) is a non-equivilency sport. Translated, that means that football scholarships are all or nothing : there are no partial scholarships in football permitted by NCAA guidelines. So, it is a mistake to think about football scholarships in the same way that you would consider soccer or lacrosse scholarships.

The NCAA allows for 85 scholarship positions for a fully funded NCAA Division I team. If a fifth year student has a fourth (or extra) year of eligibility and the football program chooses to scholarship that player for their fifth year, that comes at the cost of an incoming freshman player being on a scholarship or at the cost of a mid-classman being cut.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
According to Inside Lacrosse, there are now 38 "public commits" for the 2017 class. My guess is that there are several more that are not yet public. The following clubs now have the most commits so far (I know it is not a race so no comments please): Dukes (5), LI Express - includes Terps Black and Turtles combined (4), Crabs (3), 3D National (3), MaxLax (3), VLC (3). Team 91 has 2 who were both former Turtles. I also realize that many of the Ivy's need to still be under the radar at this point becuase of Academic Index, etc. Not judging, just reporting what is out there in the public domain.

Cutter
Cutter
Isn't a scholarship a year to year contract?

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Tribalax
Yes, in most equivalency sports, athletics scholarships are a year-to-year affair. Reports are starting to emerge (mostly from soccer) of multi-year agreements being used, but those are generally reserved for non-equivalency sports (football, basketball).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Tribalax
Yes, in most equivalency sports, athletics scholarships are a year-to-year affair. Reports are starting to emerge (mostly from soccer) of multi-year agreements being used, but those are generally reserved for non-equivalency sports (football, basketball).

In my sons verbal agreement, it was made abundantly clear that it is a four year deal!The only way the scholarship would change would be due to academic failure or not showing up to practice etc. Not based on performance. It was said that the scholarship can only increase if he does really well. I should also point out that at some of the other schools we made visits to, and considered, the scholarship would be revaluated each year.

Page 41 of 70 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard