BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 47 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 46 47
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What towns have produced the "best" college players over the last 10 years?

Does anyone want to take a shot at this?

Looking to see if there is a town that is producing kids that "stand out" at the D-1 level.

All American, All Conference or North South honors.

Towns that come to mind are:

Garden City
Manhasset
West Islip
Cold Spring Harbor
Smithtown
Syosset
Massapequa

I think that Chaminade and St Anthony's have put out the most but what towns are the players from?

West Islip has had a few AA's in D-1 since 2004. Justin Turri -Duke 2011, 2012 honorable Mention, Ryan Flanagan- N.Carolina 2011,2010,2009, Nick Galasso - N.Carolina 2011, Brian Caufield-Albany 2009 (HM). Christian Scuderi-Hofstra 2009 (HM) also D2 AA at NYIT in 2007,2008. A few more D2 AA's were Albert Maione-Molloy 2009, Matt Sullivan-NYIT 2010, Eddie Plompen- CW Post 2011. Turri, Flanagan,Caufield, Maione and Scuderi all play or played in MLL. Andrew Hodgson-Towson was All-CAA in 2013 and is presently a senior. Ian Braddish - Hofstra was 1st team All-CAA in 2011. Mike Sagl-Quinnipiac was 2nd team All-NEC in 2013. Drew Federico-Fairfield was All-ECAC rookie in 2012 as was Bryan Badalato at Sacred Heart, presently at Marquette. Pete Mezzanotte-Towson was USILA North-South All-Star in 2011 and currently plays for Denver Outlaws in MLL. That is all I can think of now, I may have missed somebody. there will be others.

Thank you West Islip.

5 D1 All Americans

4 D1 All Conference

1 North South player.

That is an impressive list. What other towns have produced high caliber D1 players?

Pretty good evidence that proved something we all knew. Talent comes from everywhere on the island. So no need to go to one of the LI Catholics for lax - like it was suggested.

Agreed, save your money and stay public, much better quality teachers and education plus some of the best lax programs in the country!

You could always move to Smithtown, they currently have kids committed to these school ranging from 2017-2014 grad years, with many more to come very soon. Also have a former on Team USA, can any other town claim this?

Harvard-1
Yale-1
Hopkins-1
Penn State-2
Virginia-1
Maryland-2
UNC-2
Syracuse-1
Army 1
Drexel-1
Maryland-1
Lehigh-1
Stony Brook-1
Ohio State- 2

Kids from all over the Island go on to play D 1 lacrosse.

I just wanted to see if any one town produced more high end D 1 players than the other towns.

Apparently that is too much to ask of the crazy people on this site. Every one either wants to demonstrate their hate and jealousy or they want to tell of all players who play in college or of the current and future committed players.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looking to see if there is a town that is producing kids that "stand out" at the D-1 level.

Garden City
Manhasset
West Islip
Cold Spring Harbor
Smithtown
Syosset
Massapequa

I think that Chaminade and St Anthony's have put out the most but what towns are the players from?

West Islip has had a few AA's in D-1 since 2004. Justin Turri -Duke 2011, 2012 honorable Mention, Ryan Flanagan- N.Carolina 2011,2010,2009, Nick Galasso - N.Carolina 2011, Brian Caufield-Albany 2009 (HM). Christian Scuderi-Hofstra 2009 (HM) also D2 AA at NYIT in 2007,2008. A few more D2 AA's were Albert Maione-Molloy 2009, Matt Sullivan-NYIT 2010, Eddie Plompen- CW Post 2011. Turri, Flanagan,Caufield, Maione and Scuderi all play or played in MLL. Andrew Hodgson-Towson was All-CAA in 2013 and is presently a senior. Ian Braddish - Hofstra was 1st team All-CAA in 2011. Mike Sagl-Quinnipiac was 2nd team All-NEC in 2013. Drew Federico-Fairfield was All-ECAC rookie in 2012 as was Bryan Badalato at Sacred Heart, presently at Marquette. Pete Mezzanotte-Towson was USILA North-South All-Star in 2011 and currently plays for Denver Outlaws in MLL. That is all I can think of now, I may have missed somebody. there will be others.

Thank you West Islip.

5 D1 All Americans

4 D1 All Conference

1 North South player.

That is an impressive list. What other towns have produced high caliber D1 players?

Pretty good evidence that proved something we all knew. Talent comes from everywhere on the island. So no need to go to one of the LI Catholics for lax - like it was suggested.

Agreed, save your money and stay public, much better quality teachers and education plus some of the best lax programs in the country!

You are out of your mind if you think public school on LI are superior to Chaminade.....The overall "product" produced at Chaminade (athletics, academics, discipline, character, etc.) is just not found elsewhere. If you want to save your money that is fine but don't start with the nonsense hating.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Smithtown has been impressive putting kids into top schools, but with all that talent they have had a hard time winning anything. I know they have two high schools and I believe the only county championship was when they had one high school for the district. With that said, I think they have the best talent coming up in the next few years. It will be interesting to see how many Terps and Extreme kids from Smithtown play for St.Anthony's or Chaminade instead of East/West.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
You are out of your mind if you think public school on LI are superior to Chaminade.....The overall "product" produced at Chaminade (athletics, academics, discipline, character, etc.) is just not found elsewhere. If you want to save your money that is fine but don't start with the nonsense hating.
Before BOTC responds to these points, let us up front say that we are only responding to provide counterpoint to why many of these arguments are pointless. Consider these points.
  • Academics - Should we measure academic achievement through Advanced Placement exam results, number of participants, or SAT/ACT performance? Should we examine the results from Intel and Siemens competitions? How about attendance at National Youth Leadership Forums in Washington DC and elsewhere? Our point here is that any of these metrics can be made to say exactly what I want when I need the details.
  • Diversity - Many universities are stressing diversity in their class selection including regions, race, culture, and many other elements. Is a self-selected, all-boys environment the best one in which to prepare for the diversity associated with a university environment?
  • Discipline - If you want to stress that element, would a military education be superior? Does the fact that everyone wears a uniform define discipline?
  • Character - How does one "measure" character? How do you know one is superior to another? Isn't character more developed at home rather than at school?
Our point is that the best at one High School surely out-performs the worst at another making all of the generalizations pointless. After all, one cannot point to statistics that espouse individual drive in college as being the critical success factor and then argue that somehow that factor does not exist at the scholastic level.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Smithtown has been impressive putting kids into top schools, but with all that talent they have had a hard time winning anything.
BOTC would argue that you just pointed to what they have won. Think about it.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Smithtown has been impressive putting kids into top schools, but with all that talent they have had a hard time winning anything.
BOTC would argue that you just pointed to what they have won. Think about it.
. Yes, I was obviously commenting on a program's pursuit of a county title which should be the goal for top teams like Smithtown East/West. The individuals who excel to the point where they move to a top college program I would argue have earned it and they are indeed winners in my book.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Garden City
Manhasset
West Islip
Cold Spring Harbor
Smithtown
Syosset
Massapequa

Thank you West Islip.

5 D1 All Americans

4 D1 All Conference

1 North South player.

One persons opinion. School is what you make of it. If you take advantage of all the great opportuities offered at most public schools on LI, you will save yourself a bundle and sstill wind up at a top university!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Before BOTC responds to these points, let us up front say that we are only responding to provide counterpoint to why many of these arguments are pointless. Consider these points.
  • Academics - Should we measure academic achievement through Advanced Placement exam results, number of participants, or SAT/ACT performance? Should we examine the results from Intel and Siemens competitions? How about attendance at National Youth Leadership Forums in Washington DC and elsewhere? Our point here is that any of these metrics can be made to say exactly what I want when I need the details.
  • Diversity - Many universities are stressing diversity in their class selection including regions, race, culture, and many other elements. Is a self-selected, all-boys environment the best one in which to prepare for the diversity associated with a university environment?
  • Discipline - If you want to stress that element, would a military education be superior? Does the fact that everyone wears a uniform define discipline?
  • Character - How does one "measure" character? How do you know one is superior to another? Isn't character more developed at home rather than at school?
Our point is that the best at one High School surely out-performs the worst at another making all of the generalizations pointless. After all, one cannot point to statistics that espouse individual drive in college as being the critical success factor and then argue that somehow that factor does not exist at the scholastic level.

On some level I agree on the academics piece, but not your comments about diversity, discipline and character. As to diversity, many would argue single-sex education is the best way to prepare young men and women because it allows them to be themselves and put aside all the adolescent games that can interfere with learning in the classroom. Nor is discipline at Chaminade the result of a uniform. It is taught by enforcing a code of conduct in the school, holding kids accountable for their actions and giving them a volume of work that demands discipline. When you have all that you grow up. I don't analogize it to the military, as you did, but West Point is consistently ranked among the top educational institutions in the country. They also, I think, have a pretty good record of churning out leaders year in and year out. Lastly, I agree character is more developed at home (hopefully) but there is no denying that the lessons reinforced at a place like Chaminade are key in terms of shaping the young men that go there. That is why I said the overall "product", in my opinion, is second to none on LI. Others can disageee, and that is fine, but what I realy was responding to was the "save your money" nonnsense. It may not be for you and your kid, but if you don't recognize what is happening at places like Chaminade you haven't been paying attention.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
On some level I agree on the academics piece, but not your comments about diversity, discipline and character.
Remember my caveat : We are only trying to present counterpoint to the discussion.

As to diversity, many would argue single-sex education is the best way to prepare young men and women because it allows them to be themselves and put aside all the adolescent games that can interfere with learning in the classroom.
Just as there are others who would claim that such an environment ill-prepares an individual for a co-ed living situation at the University level.

Nor is discipline at Chaminade the result of a uniform. It is taught by enforcing a code of conduct in the school, holding kids accountable for their actions and giving them a volume of work that demands discipline. When you have all that you grow up.
We agree that discipline comes through individual responsibility.

I don't analogize it to the military, as you did, but West Point is consistently ranked among the top educational institutions in the country. They also, I think, have a pretty good record of churning out leaders year in and year out. Lastly, I agree character is more developed at home (hopefully) but there is no denying that the lessons reinforced at a place like Chaminade are key in terms of shaping the young men that go there. That is why I said the overall "product", in my opinion, is second to none on LI.
We appreciate your view.

Others can disageee, and that is fine, but what I realy was responding to was the "save your money" nonnsense.
Understood.

It may not be for you and your kid, but if you don't recognize what is happening at places like Chaminade you haven't been paying attention.
This can be said of many districts that have been excelling with their individual programs and academic college placement rates. Again, the purpose of our discussion was to provide counterpoints, not to assert the value of any one public district over or under Chaminade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On some level I agree on the academics piece, but not your comments about diversity, discipline and character. As to diversity, many would argue single-sex education is the best way to prepare young men and women because it allows them to be themselves and put aside all the adolescent games that can interfere with learning in the classroom. Nor is discipline at Chaminade the result of a uniform. It is taught by enforcing a code of conduct in the school, holding kids accountable for their actions and giving them a volume of work that demands discipline. When you have all that you grow up. I don't analogize it to the military, as you did, but West Point is consistently ranked among the top educational institutions in the country. They also, I think, have a pretty good record of churning out leaders year in and year out. Lastly, I agree character is more developed at home (hopefully) but there is no denying that the lessons reinforced at a place like Chaminade are key in terms of shaping the young men that go there. That is why I said the overall "product", in my opinion, is second to none on LI. Others can disageee, and that is fine, but what I realy was responding to was the "save your money" nonnsense. It may not be for you and your kid, but if you don't recognize what is happening at places like Chaminade you haven't been paying attention.

Recognize what is happening at Chaminade?? If they are so great, where are their Intel and Siemans finalists? You would think such a fine, disiplined program woould represent at the most presigious scinece competitions. I still stick to the fact that many LI public school districts are out performing Chaminade in many areas. As for character and disipline, as stated, it begins at home. Just because a kid goes Chaminade does not inatanly give them character. Private may be a good choice if you come from a medocre district, but otherwise a waste of money.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Recognize what is happening at Chaminade?? If they are so great, where are their Intel and Siemans finalists? You would think such a fine, disiplined program woould represent at the most presigious scinece competitions. I still stick to the fact that many LI public school districts are out performing Chaminade in many areas. As for character and disipline, as stated, it begins at home. Just because a kid goes Chaminade does not inatanly give them character. Private may be a good choice if you come from a medocre district, but otherwise a waste of money.

Choosing a Catholic education is a personal descision and calling "waste of money" is certainly "your" personal opinion, but far from a fact. Some people (maybe not on this site) decide based on things other than lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Choosing a Catholic education is a personal descision and calling "waste of money" is certainly "your" personal opinion, but far from a fact. Some people (maybe not on this site) decide based on things other than lacrosse.

Already tried to make that point days ago. But people actually think parents choose Catholic School because of lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Already tried to make that point days ago. But people actually think parents choose Catholic School because of lacrosse.

I would believe there are a lot of students who choose eother school not for sports.... but.... If you are on this site and you choose StA or Chamy you are choosing because of sports.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
U r missing his point!!! He is not talking about GT Law school. DA.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I come from a very good district and still choose to sent mine to a Catholic and I don't find it a waste of my money. You really should not tell people how to spend their money much like i would never tell you how to spend yours. i think your example is a bad one anyway. Only a hand full of kids get Intel or Siemens and that is not indicative of the district as a whole but rather of those individual students. You should look at the % going to 2 and 4 year colleges and the quality of the schools they are going too. Once you do that i think you will find the publics are not out performing St A's or Chaminade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I come from a very good district and still choose to sent mine to a Catholic and I don't find it a waste of my money. You really should not tell people how to spend their money much like i would never tell you how to spend yours. i think your example is a bad one anyway. Only a hand full of kids get Intel or Siemens and that is not indicative of the district as a whole but rather of those individual students. You should look at the % going to 2 and 4 year colleges and the quality of the schools they are going too. Once you do that i think you will find the publics are not out performing St A's or Chaminade.

I think alot has to do with the individual student. What fits and doesnt fit. My son gets all A's or better in a very competitive academic school district and we discussed the Catholic school route for academics and sports. As per his choice he didnt feel it would work for him. He enjoys his friends and the diversity of his school. This is not a knock on Catholic Schools just that you need to keep in mind what will work for your child. As for choosing the Catholic School for sport purposes again that is your choice. If your child doesnt make the team he is guaranteed a top notch education in a very structured enviornment. There are no guarantees your kid will make the team either.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think alot has to do with the individual student. What fits and doesnt fit. My son gets all A's or better in a very competitive academic school district and we discussed the Catholic school route for academics and sports. As per his choice he didnt feel it would work for him. He enjoys his friends and the diversity of his school. This is not a knock on Catholic Schools just that you need to keep in mind what will work for your child. As for choosing the Catholic School for sport purposes again that is your choice. If your child doesnt make the team he is guaranteed a top notch education in a very structured enviornment. There are no guarantees your kid will make the team either.

Wrong again, the top public schools have the same percentage of seinors going to pretigous 4 year universities as Cham and SA. My son has friends at private schools that all have to hire private tutors because the teaching is so bad. Think about it. Why would a teacher work at private when they make 2x as much at public, therefor public attracts better educators on average. Private school teachers don't even have to be certifed! Scary! With great Lax programs as well as a top notch academics, no reason to go private!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you not realize that the public schools allow ALL the kids in that town to go to said school. Hence, no district as a whole could measure up to the hand selected student body at a Chaminade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't take students that struggle for whatever reason. Nor do they take kids with behavioral or substance abuse issues. They take the top scorers on the test. Yet somehow many districts have incredible graduation rates as well as high percentages of students going to 4 year schools, that rival the privates. Point is the average kid who goes to Cham most likely would do just as well academically if they stayed public. Much less to do with the school, much more to do with student selection process.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This person is obtuse! There are many reasons to chose either public, private, or Catholic schools. Each of these approaches has ultimately developed some pretty outstanding people as well as some pretty horrible people. To say generically that either approach is inferior or superior is missing the boat! Parents need to make the determination for their particular child. As an example, if a set of parents felt that it was important for their child to develop a deeper understanding of their faith while also pursuing academics, then the Catholic schools seem like a reasonable option to pursue. If that is not a priority, then perhaps Catholic schools are not a consideration. It all comes down to individual choice and decisions made by the parents who know their child best and what they feel will help develop that child into the best possible adult for the future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"behavioral or substance abuse issues..."...Ha! I should mention that to my son's friend who was caught dealing pot out of his locker at Chaminade. Please..kids are kids. The selection process at Chaminade has no way of knowing who will do what and when. It's spitting in the wind. Parents make their choices for whatever works for their family. To say that Chaminade is immune from behavioral and substance abuse issues due to their selection process is just wrong. Be real. What goes on in any school has nothing to do with the selection process. We all make our choices and hope for the best. But...good kids from good families sometimes make really stupid decisions. I don't think that is limited to what school they attend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Northport has the following going to d1 schools and they just play for Northport

2 Maryland
1 UNC
1 Binghamton
1 Stonybrook

Plus many other D2 and d3 commitments.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Do you not realize that the public schools allow ALL the kids in that town to go to said school. Hence, no district as a whole could measure up to the hand selected student body at a Chaminade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't take students that struggle for whatever reason. Nor do they take kids with behavioral or substance abuse issues. They take the top scorers on the test. Yet somehow many districts have incredible graduation rates as well as high percentages of students going to 4 year schools, that rival the privates. Point is the average kid who goes to Cham most likely would do just as well academically if they stayed public. Much less to do with the school, much more to do with student selection process.

yes i do and that is exactly the point. would rather have my kid competing academically in that environment which by your admission is more competitive than one where "everyone" can go.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Measure academics you ask? Well, measure them like ALL colleges do: GPA associated with college profile, and SAT/ACT

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"behavioral or substance abuse issues..."...Ha! I should mention that to my son's friend who was caught dealing pot out of his locker at Chaminade. Please..kids are kids. The selection process at Chaminade has no way of knowing who will do what and when. It's spitting in the wind. Parents make their choices for whatever works for their family. To say that Chaminade is immune from behavioral and substance abuse issues due to their selection process is just wrong. Be real. What goes on in any school has nothing to do with the selection process. We all make our choices and hope for the best. But...good kids from good families sometimes make really stupid decisions. I don't think that is limited to what school they attend.

And what happened to that kid? If he got caught, he will never be back at that school. In public, suspension and back at some point. That's the point, the privates don't have to deal with problems they jettison them. Deal pot, out. Steal out. Grades go down out. Fight out. Thus their stats look so much better. Great school, but never an apples to apples comparison.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we all just chill. It is not about data comparisons, individual achievements, sports, etc. It is about choice and culture. I make the financial sacrifice to send my kids to Catholic school (not for lax, I'll say it again, not for lax) to continue the foundation started at home and carried on at school. So they are best equipped to leave the roost to make the correct choices and deal with the outcome of poor choices.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And what happened to that kid? If he got caught, he will never be back at that school. In public, suspension and back at some point. That's the point, the privates don't have to deal with problems they jettison them. Deal pot, out. Steal out. Grades go down out. Fight out. Thus their stats look so much better. Great school, but never an apples to apples comparison.

Doesn't the punishment depend on who the daddy is?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is in it's own league. Some of these comments made comparing CHS to public school is silly. Just take grades for instance. Thousands of kids take the co-op test. CHS accepts a certain amount and aims for registration of 400 to 500 depending on the year. 2017 current freshman have over 500 in its class. So with this super selective process I think we can deduct that these kids are the brightest from their respective districts. I am also confident that when my son applies to college along with his gpa will be a school profile that speaks for itself. No AP's, no intel, no problem.
The student body is comprised of ALL types of districts from LI and even NJ, not just the best districts. So there is also a diversity among the student body.
Btw, these are facts and not my opinion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chaminade is in it's own league. Some of these comments made comparing CHS to public school is silly. Just take grades for instance. Thousands of kids take the co-op test. CHS accepts a certain amount and aims for registration of 400 to 500 depending on the year. 2017 current freshman have over 500 in its class. So with this super selective process I think we can deduct that these kids are the brightest from their respective districts. I am also confident that when my son applies to college along with his gpa will be a school profile that speaks for itself. No AP's, no intel, no problem.
The student body is comprised of ALL types of districts from LI and even NJ, not just the best districts. So there is also a diversity among the student body.

Well, we hope you are not teaching your son grammar. Check out your use of "deduct."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey, don't let the facts get in the way.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rich kids from the tri-state equal diversity?? A smart kid will excel and shine in any district. Having the opportunity to take AP classes in HS is huge; it can help gain admission to the super selective, as well as save money on tuition. Achieving honors in prestigious competitions can be a stepping stone into highly sought after placements in college research labs. Take districts such as Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and Commack, look at their statistics and you will see that the real facts don't lie. Public can be just as good, if not better than private. You are lucky that the private schools are only taking the brightest, that way when they have uncertified teachers teaching their classes, they will be able to learn on their own.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Rich kids from the tri-state equal diversity?? A smart kid will excel and shine in any district. Having the opportunity to take AP classes in HS is huge; it can help gain admission to the super selective, as well as save money on tuition. Achieving honors in prestigious competitions can be a stepping stone into highly sought after placements in college research labs. Take districts such as Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, and Commack, look at their statistics and you will see that the real facts don't lie. Public can be just as good, if not better than private. You are lucky that the private schools are only taking the brightest, that way when they have uncertified teachers teaching their classes, they will be able to learn on their own.
Taking AP courses in High School is not enough to stamp yourself as worthy of Top 40 institutions. Taking the most rigorous courses available at your High School is a baseline requirement with performance in those courses and so many other factors contributing to the final acceptance. However, you are correct that Advanced Placement does contribute heavily.

Another point to remember is that while courses can be waived (for example, a "4" or "5" on the Calculus BC exam will often waive first and second semester College Calculus), you will need to check with the individual school regarding credits in residence requirements; in other words, do the credits awarded count to the number needed for the degree or just do they just waive the need to take a given course?

Also note that some school districts (Commack for example) do not typically follow an AP Curriculum, but license the International Baccalaureate (IB) system. Lesser known than the AP Program, IB offers similar course work with a slightly different focus on writing skills.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Best teachers? If you do not think that the kids in the top performing public schools are not getting extra help from involved parents and private tutors you have your head in the sand.

Lets have the teachers from Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor and Commack trade places with the teachers from the bottom three public districts and see what happens.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Taking AP courses in High School is not enough to stamp yourself as worthy of Top 40 institutions. Taking the most rigorous courses available at your High School is a baseline requirement with performance in those courses and so many other factors contributing to the final acceptance. However, you are correct that Advanced Placement does contribute heavily.
Ironically, Newsday published an article just today citing that New [lacrosse] State is currently ranked 7th in the nation on AP test scores.

NYS Ranks 7th in Nation in AP Test Scores

New [lacrosse] placed seventh nationally in the percentage of public high school students succeeding on Advanced Placement exams in 2013, moving one step up compared with 2012, according to a College Board report released Tuesday.

Maryland was at the top, with 29.6 percent of students there who took the exams scoring a 3 or better, followed by Connecticut, Virginia, Massachusetts, Florida and California. The top score on the tests is 5.

New [lacrosse] came in at 25.4 percent, above the 23.5 percent of 2012, when the state ranked eighth nationwide, the Manhattan-based College Board said.

The article goes on to discuss that 44,909 students in New [lacrosse] State scored a 3 or better on at least one exam in comparison with 29,479 in 2003. Of course, the broader push for AP exams over the last decade is in part underpinning this data point. In fact, some districts are reporting an increase of nearly 100% in AP/IB course registrants over just the last five years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Best teachers? If you do not think that the kids in the top performing public schools are not getting extra help from involved parents and private tutors you have your head in the sand.

Lets have the teachers from Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor and Commack trade places with the teachers from the bottom three public districts and see what happens.

At least they are certified (passed qualifying exam, and are mandated to take additional course work)to teach their subjects, and are held accountable for their results!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At least they are certified (passed qualifying exam, and are mandated to take additional course work)to teach their subjects, and are held accountable for their results!!

Overrated...big time

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop. There are some great public schools with great teachers and students. However, none of these compare to csh or private more broadly. Teachers teach to the bottom and when you can self select the bar is always higher. College placement is really the only objective comparison and it's not even close.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are mistaken if you think rich kids go to Chaminade. Many tax rates are represented and don't fool yourself thinking that just because your son didn't have the foresight to take the test. Many are given scholarships in addition to a nice discount in tuition due to generous torch fund. And btw the last mention goes for each and every student. And I find it puzzling why every year you hear public school parents complain why their 3 ap class child bombed on the sat. Happenned in my town and they complain to the school board. It's a joke. Don't even get me started on public school teachers!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who is going to Shamrock Shoot out

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stop. There are some great public schools with great teachers and students. However, none of these compare to csh or private more broadly. Teachers teach to the bottom and when you can self select the bar is always higher. College placement is really the only objective comparison and it's not even close.

Stats please! Educated people back up their opinions with actual data, or else what you are attempting to say is meaningless

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are mistaken if you think rich kids go to Chaminade. Many tax rates are represented and don't fool yourself thinking that just because your son didn't have the foresight to take the test. Many are given scholarships in addition to a nice discount in tuition due to generous torch fund. And btw the last mention goes for each and every student. And I find it puzzling why every year you hear public school parents complain why their 3 ap class child bombed on the sat. Happenned in my town and they complain to the school board. It's a joke. Don't even get me started on public school teachers!

Why not? Are you angry that you are paying top dollar for non-certified teachers who are not held accountable for their results? I would be!

Page 19 of 47 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard