Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2026-8th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/04/22 07:42 PM
Girls 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/04/22 07:17 PM
Team 91 MD
by Anonymous - 07/04/22 06:21 PM
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/04/22 05:21 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/04/22 05:06 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,153
Posts341,709
Members2,463
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 109 of 187 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 186 187
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
Anonymous #52650 02/06/14 12:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Soccer, Hockey, Girls Field Hockey. Happens in every sport in various leagues, school districts etc. More prevalent in the career sports where 8th graders are committing to Nick Saban etc...

Then de committing by 9th and again breaking another promise and their letter of intent in 12th...

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #52815 02/09/14 10:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious what folks think of the pg year. Is it gaming the system like reclassing? My son is a freshman, has been to all the right tournaments, is on one of the best club teams in the nation, but hasn't gotten any interest from colleges. He has several kids on his hs and club teams who have committed already. Athletically, he is equal to these kids, but shooting wise he's slightly behind he a started lacroase a little later than most on his team, An extra year of skill set development might do him well. Thoughts?

Anonymous #52816 02/09/14 10:27 AM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Curious what folks think of the pg year. Is it gaming the system like reclassing? My son is a freshman, has been to all the right tournaments, is on one of the best club teams in the nation, but hasn't gotten any interest from colleges. He has several kids on his hs and club teams who have committed already. Athletically, he is equal to these kids, but shooting wise he's slightly behind he a started lacroase a little later than most on his team, An extra year of skill set development might do him well. Thoughts?
Think of it this way : this is a guaranteed fifth year of payments added to your college planning, often with a price tag in the $40,000-$50,000 range.

Therefore, if your son or daughter was to get a 0.25 scholarship at a four year private institution provided that he/she completes a PG year, you have financially "broken even" with your son or daughter now locked into the lacrosse program for four years. Should your child quit lacrosse in those four years, you are guaranteed to be behind in term of finances.

In a world where folks are struggling with massive collegiate debt loads, it is difficult to understand how the lacrosse culture still professes loyalty to the PG concept.

CageSage #52818 02/09/14 11:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Think of it this way : this is a guaranteed fifth year of payments added to your college planning, often with a price tag in the $40,000-$50,000 range.

Therefore, if your son or daughter was to get a 0.25 scholarship at a four year private institution provided that he/she completes a PG year, you have financially "broken even" with your son or daughter now locked into the lacrosse program for four years. Should your child quit lacrosse in those four years, you are guaranteed to be behind in term of finances.

In a world where folks are struggling with massive collegiate debt loads, it is difficult to understand how the lacrosse culture still professes loyalty to the PG concept.

I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy. I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.

Anonymous #52822 02/09/14 11:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If we heard you right your kid is a freshman. Have patience. There are some great schools that do their recruiting later.

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #52829 02/09/14 01:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is "pg"?

Anonymous #52835 02/09/14 03:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If we heard you right your kid is a freshman. Have patience. There are some great schools that do their recruiting later.

What Schools?

Anonymous #52838 02/09/14 03:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is "pg"?

Post graduate, a year between HS and college

Anonymous #52847 02/09/14 07:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy. I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.

Good question. When I was a D 1 athlete, I was fortunate enough to have a full ride. I did do a redshirt year and it was paid for.

It seems logical that with 5 years to use 4 years of NCAA eligibility; that whatever percentage per year of athletic aid a student is getting should be equivalent during the redshirt year.

Anyone else with current experience would probably have accurate data on this.

Anonymous #52876 02/10/14 10:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A PG year can be beneficial in many ways, but should not be used as a way to hope for better looks from college coaches. If your son has been injured during the sophomore/junior school season or summer tournament games, the PG year can provide the extra time for being seen. From personal experience, the top boarding schools compete for PG student athletes much like college. They know who is being looked at by what colleges and the circumstances surrounding the PG option. It can be because of academics, injury, the position needed for a college team but not in that graduation year, etc...but it is naive to believe you will opt for a PG year and create a higher level of interest that was not there before. It is best to have secured some type of commitment /plan from college coaches you are in contact with as the PG year is not the time to be seen by college coaches. The lax season is far too late in the game for that option in a PG year. ( aside from academic DIII's that many boarding schools feed into) Boarding School lacrosse teams get the benefit of having the stud PG come from their school, but are not in the business of promoting said player for recruitment. If your options are better taking a PG year, then there is no downside. Older, ( not always, often gives some boys the chance to catch up to those held back and all), physically stronger, injury free and all is great, but the benefit of knowing how to manage your time better in a more independent atmosphere, live away from home but still be in a somewhat managed environment and the chance to meet students from all over the world is also a plus for any young man or woman.

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #52877 02/10/14 11:03 AM
C
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy.
Who do you think is paying for all of these free rides? How many parents do you think are sending their children to Deerfield (or similar) to pick up the tabs of another? These institutions are not sitting on endowments that underpin many colleges. Do not assume that you will have a free year of 13th grade.

I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.
Since we are talking about redshirting, we will assume that your student-athlete has a National Letter of Intent and associated contract in hand. Read that material very carefully. While some colleges will honor the athletic scholarship during the redshirted year, others will pull the scholarship if medically unable to perform. You need to be absolutely sure that you know the terms of the agreement you sign.

CageSage #52880 02/10/14 11:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with that, but aren't there scholarships to the PG schools. I have heard of kids getting a "full ride" to schools like the Deerfield Academy.
Who do you think is paying for all of these free rides? How many parents do you think are sending their children to Deerfield (or similar) to pick up the tabs of another? These institutions are not sitting on endowments that underpin many colleges. Do not assume that you will have a free year of 13th grade.

I also have a question about redshirting. Does the athelete still receive their scholarship money for a redshirt year? Seems great if true. An extra year paid for to get course work done.
Since we are talking about redshirting, we will assume that your student-athlete has a National Letter of Intent and associated contract in hand. Read that material very carefully. While some colleges will honor the athletic scholarship during the redshirted year, others will pull the scholarship if medically unable to perform. You need to be absolutely sure that you know the terms of the agreement you sign.

I actually would not consider having my son do a PG year. Don't need to. Just stating a fact that these schools offer scholarships to talented athletes. They can then add to their resume of commitments. AS for the redshirt year, that was just a question. I noticed that many athletes do this. I was wondering what happens to the scholarship. Thanks for the info! Not claiming to be an expert, just want to stay informed correctly about options that may lie ahead.

Anonymous #52881 02/10/14 11:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A PG year can be beneficial in many ways, but should not be used as a way to hope for better looks from college coaches. If your son has been injured during the sophomore/junior school season or summer tournament games, the PG year can provide the extra time for being seen. From personal experience, the top boarding schools compete for PG student athletes much like college. They know who is being looked at by what colleges and the circumstances surrounding the PG option. It can be because of academics, injury, the position needed for a college team but not in that graduation year, etc...but it is naive to believe you will opt for a PG year and create a higher level of interest that was not there before. It is best to have secured some type of commitment /plan from college coaches you are in contact with as the PG year is not the time to be seen by college coaches. The lax season is far too late in the game for that option in a PG year. ( aside from academic DIII's that many boarding schools feed into) Boarding School lacrosse teams get the benefit of having the stud PG come from their school, but are not in the business of promoting said player for recruitment. If your options are better taking a PG year, then there is no downside. Older, ( not always, often gives some boys the chance to catch up to those held back and all), physically stronger, injury free and all is great, but the benefit of knowing how to manage your time better in a more independent atmosphere, live away from home but still be in a somewhat managed environment and the chance to meet students from all over the world is also a plus for any young man or woman.

Pannell took a PG year to get out of his of his original commitment. Look how that played out for him!

Anonymous #52884 02/10/14 12:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A PG year for athletic purposes is usually only considered after a college commitment is already made. As far as "scholarships" are concerned don't kid yourself. We're not talking about the Harvard endowment here. Thsese schools are in the business of staying viable for the long run and not in the business of charity. There is need-based financial aid available from some of these schools but it is extrememly limited and the criteria is extremely rigid and may be just in the form of loans and not grants although a combination of the two is common if you are awarded anything. That said, you will be lucky to pay only $35-$40k instead of $50-55k per year, not including an additional several thousand dollars for all of the additional expenses of a year living away from home including travel, laundry service, schoool trips, spending money etc...We looked into it and decided it didn't make sense for our family situation, particularly since our son did not have a D1 commitment.

Anonymous #52911 02/10/14 08:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good question. When I was a D 1 athlete, I was fortunate enough to have a full ride. I did do a redshirt year and it was paid for.

It seems logical that with 5 years to use 4 years of NCAA eligibility; that whatever percentage per year of athletic aid a student is getting should be equivalent during the redshirt year.

Anyone else with current experience would probably have accurate data on this. [/quote]

I would gather a guess you were a revenue sport scholarship athlete. I plainly don't believe that lacrosse coaches would amortize such scarcity (only 12.5 for the team) to tie up money for five years instead of four. Money is just too tight to make it work to give a kid 5 years of money one of which is not on the field. Hence the coaches' love affair with getting families to consider reclassifying or doing a PG year on the parental dime and not their own.

Every BCS football player is on a 5 year ride. The money is there to do it, and that is the difference.

Page 109 of 187 1 2 107 108 109 110 111 186 187

Link Copied to Clipboard