BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
2023 commits
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
According to Inside Lacrosse, a prominent 2023 midfielder that plays for a top Long Island club has, reportedly, committed to 4th grade at Shelter Rock Elementary School. Loretta Smith, head PE teacher, was quoted, "His closing speed and ability to finish when playing dodge ball is uncanny." Many evaluators feel he is a can't miss prospect that will dominate the club scene this summer. His biggest drawback is his inability to tie his shoes or put his equipment on by himself. Coach Bresci thinks that in 10 -11 years, this kid will be THE guy. Other schools that he considered were St Mary's, Friends Academy and Portledge.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: 2023 commits
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
re-classifier? Taking away spots for true 2023's.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hahaha.....classic!! Isn't it funny how things are going nowadays -- It's funny, I played D1 (late 80s - against Gaits etc) and most guys on my college squad started lax in Junior High and 9th grade (even with the old equipment, late start, lack of tourney's, recruiting showcases and specialty clinics) .....would run circles around many of the 'athletes' of today - I don't know, as with the NFL, NHL etc. - Speaking from a current coaches perspective, the youth of the 60s-80s seem to be a tougher class of kid cool

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hahaha.....classic!! Isn't it funny how things are going nowadays -- It's funny, I played D1 (late 80s - against Gaits etc) and most guys on my college squad started lax in Junior High and 9th grade (even with the old equipment, late start, lack of tourney's, recruiting showcases and specialty clinics) .....would run circles around many of the 'athletes' of today - I don't know, as with the NFL, NHL etc. - Speaking from a current coaches perspective, the youth of the 60s-80s seem to be a tougher class of kid cool

I respectfully disagree. Have you ever watched a JV game of West Islip Chaminade Garden City Manhasset Syosset Pequa S'town WM Darian Jay ytown somers Pac LLpanas.

That is the skill speed and strength of your 80's teams.

Ever watch an elite 2020 - 2017 team, that is better than any 80's HS match.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The glory days always look more magnificent through the bottom of your row of empty pints.

7th grade Kids of today would destroy the Varsity teams of your days gone long by
:-)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tennessee Jed is a funny cat, except when he kicks my dog!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont think so. Not at all. Look at football, players keep getting bigger and faster. WHen I went to HS In the 80s we did not have guys this big and fast as we say today in HS. If two players of equal ability, one starts playing in first grade , the other in 9th all things being equal the kid who started sooner will be better,This sounds more like one of those ' we I went to school we walked 10 miles both way up hill: deals

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's because today's "athlete" is a one sport
Kid. Not many play other sports. The ones that
do you can see are tougher.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I disagree with ALL of this EXCEPT for the fact that kids WERE tougher back then.

The rest is not accurate. Kids are bigger, stronger, faster, start earlier, are better trained amd trained from an earlier age. Science has shown us better was to develop faster and stroner athletes.

Kids today are ALSO NOT as respectful to coaches, other kids and refs as they were back then (nor are the parents).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tennessee Jed is a funny cat, except when he kicks my dog!

My dog turned to me and he said, you better get back to Tennessee Jed

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hate to bring religion into it but... my rock is better than your rock. just saying

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
The lacrosse that is played today is so different from the game we played when we were young. The sticks hold the ball better. The mesh pockets break in easier and more consistently. Conditioning and coaching are much better then in the past. The club scene and D1 scholarship situation has made lacrosse into junior hockey or AAU basketball. I don't think we will see the kid that starts playing in 6th or 7th grade and becomes a starter in HS anymore. All sports have become specialized. There is a lot of money to be made coaching and running these club programs. I was a three sport athlete in HS and played 4 years of football and lacrosse at the DIII level. I don't think DIII coaches would allow a starter to play football anymore.

But, us lacrosse geeks are from the no. 1 hotbed of the sport. Therefore, we are lucky. We should embrace the madness. As long as we keep everything in perspective, our children will gain a lot from playing lacrosse at high levels. They learn discipline and teamwork. They learn how to win and how to lose. They will make lifelong friends and will be exposed to a ton of nut jobs. And, if we as parents take the right attitude, and don't push our little Johnnies too hard, then our boys will love each of us for what we are doing for them. Club lacrosse should be fun and educational. Smart people will know when the game becomes "too much" for our kids. As long as we don't go overboard, both you and your kids will learn a lot from these experiences.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by tennesseejed
The lacrosse that is played today is so different from the game we played when we were young. The sticks hold the ball better. The mesh pockets break in easier and more consistently. Conditioning and coaching are much better then in the past. The club scene and D1 scholarship situation has made lacrosse into junior hockey or AAU basketball. I don't think we will see the kid that starts playing in 6th or 7th grade and becomes a starter in HS anymore. All sports have become specialized. There is a lot of money to be made coaching and running these club programs. I was a three sport athlete in HS and played 4 years of football and lacrosse at the DIII level. I don't think DIII coaches would allow a starter to play football anymore.

But, us lacrosse geeks are from the no. 1 hotbed of the sport. Therefore, we are lucky. We should embrace the madness. As long as we keep everything in perspective, our children will gain a lot from playing lacrosse at high levels. They learn discipline and teamwork. They learn how to win and how to lose. They will make lifelong friends and will be exposed to a ton of nut jobs. And, if we as parents take the right attitude, and don't push our little Johnnies too hard, then our boys will love each of us for what we are doing for them. Club lacrosse should be fun and educational. Smart people will know when the game becomes "too much" for our kids. As long as we don't go overboard, both you and your kids will learn a lot from these experiences.

Well said!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Maniac
Originally Posted by tennesseejed

Well said!!!

The older you get the faster and better you were.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The glory days always look more magnificent through the bottom of your row of empty pints.

7th grade Kids of today would destroy the Varsity teams of your days gone long by

Pretty personal and obnoxious reply to a post.

Last edited by CageSage; . Reason: Removed Offensive Reference
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Pretty personal and obnoxious reply to a post.

But also accurate, especially in lacrosse. The lacrosse we played on LI when we were 9th to 12th grade, going back 25 years is not even close to the level it is at now. It may be nice to think you were a stud back when, and maybe you could compete in todays game if you attack the sport with dedication of the players today, but very seriously, you can not compare your 1980something Hs championship team to the level of play today.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure you can.....physically today's player would
be pummeled. I'm not saying they're not bigger,
Stronger and faster....they are. They're just not
as tough. Toughness goes a long way. Intimidates
players. Makes all those skills of today a whole
lot more tentative......just an observation of today's
athlete.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
athlete.

Toughness then, as it is now, equates to aggressiveness which usually is displayed by weaker skill set players in the face of superior skills, as any well traveled long island club parent will tell you.
When the true age kids of Long Island play the reclassifieds of Md and Virginia etc; the older reclassifieds typically are playing where they are as their skills did not or could not match up with those of their peers. Thus the reclassified status. This aggression or "toughness" is relied upon and is inversely proportional to their lack of skills. The kids of Long Island who typically play up usually get much aggression from those who have to play down, as they still don't measure up skill wise. The only advantage they have is size and physical maturity.

Therefore, "the kids were tougher yesteryear" theory doesn't hold up and is typically an anecdotal glory days recollection that just isn't accurate.

And based on the results of the "skilled kids" playing the "tougher kids"; I'd say that the intimidation factor is also null and void.

Your argument thus is baseless as are your observations of today's athletes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
athlete.

If you were talking football, baseball or any other sport that has not progressed too much in last 25 years I would agree with you. The game of lacrosse has changed radically from our days, I watch in amazement at the talent and speed of todays kids. You seriously think that those old teams could compete with the modern day teams because of toughness? I like your fighting attitude, but you are delusional.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not talking about talent. Any fool can see
today's lax players are much more talented.
But the older generation of players hit much,
much, much more than today. I think that would be a
great equalizer. That turns a skilled player into
a timid player......in any sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What????? You obviously never played lax or
any other contact sport. Physical play can win
over skilled play sometimes. Get knocked around
enough and skills turns into jitters. Again not always
but sometimes it works. And there is NOTHING
wrong with playing that style. The object is to win.
As long as it's not dirty, just win baby.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not talking about talent. Any fool can see
today's lax players are much more talented.
But the older generation of players hit much,
much, much more than today. I think that would be a
great equalizer. That turns a skilled player into
a timid player......in any sport.

Ponderous....simply ponderous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

7th graders going up against 12th graders??? Maybe the above poster isn't the one drinking too many brews

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

7th graders going up against 12th graders??? Maybe the above poster isn't the one drinking too many brews

Clearly you have not seen the Turtles or Dukes or crabs kids of the 2017 class do just that on the reg as they say.

Is it any wonder that these same teams comprise the largest total of the current 2017 commits to D1 programs.

Take your face out of the pitcher and wipe the suds from your unseeing and reluctant to believe what you're seeing eyes behold.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
athlete.

Toughness then, as it is now, equates to aggressiveness which usually is displayed by weaker skill set players in the face of superior skills, as any well traveled long island club parent will tell you.
When the true age kids of Long Island play the reclassifieds of Md and Virginia etc; the older reclassifieds typically are playing where they are as their skills did not or could not match up with those of their peers. Thus the reclassified status. This aggression or "toughness" is relied upon and is inversely proportional to their lack of skills. The kids of Long Island who typically play up usually get much aggression from those who have to play down, as they still don't measure up skill wise. The only advantage they have is size and physical maturity.

Therefore, "the kids were tougher yesteryear" theory doesn't hold up and is typically an anecdotal glory days recollection that just isn't accurate.

And based on the results of the "skilled kids" playing the "tougher kids"; I'd say that the intimidation factor is also null and void.

... said the guy who bet on the Broncos over the Seahawks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
athlete.

... said the guy who bet on the Broncos over the Seahawks.

Yes...the guy who bet on them to lose to the Seahawks and made a nice little return!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please tell us your are not serious. I know a lot
of the turtles players personally. As skilled and
great lax players as they are, they would get
Beat up physically by a varsity team. Stop putting
them up there. Not mature enough to handle
It. I know you'll say they beat some already,
Most of those varsity teams had their players playing
Varsity football or Varsity soccer. Not freshmen
football and freshmen soccer. Big difference.
So please stop with this nonsense already. They
Are GREAT 2017 players. And that's the class they
should be compared to.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
should be compared to.

Interesting point and I wholeheartedly agree. However, and to your point, aren't colleges taking risks by committing to these kids? Somebody stated that best players now will be the best players in 4 years and I don't agree with that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
should be compared to.

They may get a physical game from a modern varsity program and games would be close. They would run circles around your varsity team from yesteryear.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
should be compared to.

They may get a physical game from a modern varsity program and games would be close. They would run circles around your varsity team from yesteryear.

The games would not be close, and Turtles will not be starting on varsity unless they come from a weak school district. They do not look anywhere as skilled as everyone thinks when versing a decent varsity team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
should be compared to.

My varsity team from the lat 80's had 2 hall of famers on it, do you really thick your son could beat us?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This has to be a child saying this nonsense!!!!
The varsity teams of yesteryear would also beat
the 2017's of today. Please stop. I coach a prominent
2017 team and wish to remain anonymous.
Been around the game a long time. Been there and
done it. The varsity teams as you call it of "yesteryear"
would beat them and beat them handily. End this
conversation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
conversation.

why remain anonymous?
What are your personal credentials?
Revisionist historians are all over the net. At least the kids of today have legit credentials that can be verified on line.
Face it...your glory days are over and BTW, what prominent team are you bringing to current glory?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I played then and I have watched now, I think it depends on which era's equipment and rules you use. In the 80's we cleared the crease by running through guys, you cant play that way anymore. todays sticks dont drop the ball much and the shots are a lot faster and harder. The athletes are the same

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The real question is do you/they think Varsity programs of Yesteryear 80-90 could beat todays varsity programs.

IMHO, I don't think so. While cks got the ball out more and thats more of an equipment rule. The Team Skill and speed will beat out Skill and Size. Also IMHO that brusing intimidation play no longer exists due to rules and safety not choice of play.

Speed kills ya. Size just hurts you!!!

What say you any placid players.

conversation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now you sound like a petty little person. Your still
saying a 14 yr old will beat a 17 - 18 yr old. Amazing!!!
I guess you win this argument. Congrats. The turtles
and the dukes of today would beat the ward melvilles,
garden city's, massapequa's, farmingdale's, yorktown's
and west genesee's of the 80's. Also the chaminade's
and st Anthony's. Do you realize how silly you sound now?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Today's varsity would beat 80's varsity. Hands down.
Played then. All the credentials you could receive.
Coach now. Today is better. NOT the 9th graders
beating a varsity team though. Sorry. Can't give you that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets just drop the age group difference and leave it at todays varsity programs of (fill in your district here) would beat the [lacrosse] out of same districts varsity program from 15-25 years ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets just drop the age group difference and leave it at todays varsity programs of (fill in your district here) would beat the [lacrosse] out of same districts varsity program from 15-25 years ago.

You people are nuts!! I played for Melville back in the 80's under Couzzo. We destroyed every other team on LI. Our F/O guy was a state champ wrestler. Other guys were football superstars. My teammates were all self-motivated, in fact parents hardly even came to the games, and there were no training sessions and travel teams. Only wish we could bring it on! This is all nonsense. Today's teams may have better equipment, but our athleticism and heart are no match for today's spoiled, soft kids! My kids play for Melville now, and although they are still great, kids today are way more distracted with other things.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We'll said. Problem is most parents of these fine laxers never played and are wowed by their skill. Which is great by the way but to say they can compete with varsity teams of the past is ridiculous. When they are in HS they might have quick hands and finesse but being it is a contact sport they are defiantly not nearly as tough and physical as we were. And yes I played at a Big HS on LI as well as a top D1 college in mid 80's.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard