BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 93 of 220 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You are being a homer when you fail to mention the other opportunity for college coaches to watch the best teams in the age groups right around the corner from the lacrosse by three not so classic.
There are many recruiting events in the region that BOTC does not cover. That does not diminish the value of the showcase events that we do cover.

BOTC provided in-depth coverage of alternative Long Island girls showcase events here on the message boards in 2011 and again in our BOTC Newsletter in 2012. The problem with these events was that they are not capable of attracting other Long Island programs. The Lacrosse Classic is well positioned to bring together those teams in a recruiting environment.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where does the bus tour go?

I know my daughters friend plays for a club that is running a bus tour on the east coast...
Then change clubs.

Team Elevate is running a bus tour on the east coast for recruiting age girls. It's a great idea and can't believe that other clubs have not done this before. Great way for girls to see schools, meet coaches and players and a great bonding experience for the teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
You are being a homer when you fail to mention the other opportunity for college coaches to watch the best teams in the age groups right around the corner from the lacrosse by three not so classic.
There are many recruiting events in the region that BOTC does not cover. That does not diminish the value of the showcase events that we do cover.

BOTC provided in-depth coverage of alternative Long Island girls showcase events here on the message boards in 2011 and again in our BOTC Newsletter in 2012. The problem with these events was that they are not capable of attracting other Long Island programs. The Lacrosse Classic is well positioned to bring together those teams in a recruiting environment.

Well positioned sounds like homer talk. My prediction is as many if not more college coaches will visit the YJ event that weekend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know my daughters friend plays for a club that is running a bus tour on the east coast...
Then change clubs.

Team Elevate is running a bus tour on the east coast for recruiting age girls. It's a great idea and can't believe that other clubs have not done this before. Great way for girls to see schools, meet coaches and players and a great bonding experience for the teams.

What if the tour doesn't include the school your daughter is interested in? Then who is it great for the person who organizes the trip? Doesn't sound great to me.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then change clubs.

Good for Team Elevate. Does your daughter play for them?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well positioned sounds like homer talk. My prediction is as many if not more college coaches will visit the YJ event that weekend.

No way, won't even be close.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then change clubs.

What if the tour doesn't include the school your daughter is interested in? Then who is it great for the person who organizes the trip? Doesn't sound great to me.

Exactly!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then change clubs.

I have an idea that may work for you when these situations come up again. If somebody offers you something - let's say for instance a college bus tour and let's say you are not interested in it for argument sake - maybe you just don't go - how does that sound??! I think the point the person was making was that there is a club doing something different to expose kids to schools and coaches and players and I am sure they all won't go - but at least they are trying to do something and going the extra mile and thinking creatively.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then change clubs.

I have an idea that may work for you when these situations come up again. If somebody offers you something - let's say for instance a college bus tour and let's say you are not interested in it for argument sake - maybe you just don't go - how does that sound??! I think the point the person was making was that there is a club doing something different to expose kids to schools and coaches and players and I am sure they all won't go - but at least they are trying to do something and going the extra mile and thinking creatively.

TG has been very helpful when it comes to colleges and recruiting advice. Good for Team Elevate for also helping the girls.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great job by Team Elevate trying something new. Seems TG is very helpful in recruiting process also.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then change clubs.

Worst case, you get to see some other schools and have something to compare to when you do visit your top schools. Best case, you fall in love with a school you never considered. Either way, you spend a few days with your teammates off the field - I don't see any downside and I'm not involved with either club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too funny cage such a homer he alters posts and does not even say that it's been edited, shows cages complete lack of honesty. Feel free to edit this post also I will keep them coming, just shows you know TG cannot stand on its own merit.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Too funny cage such a homer he alters posts and does not even say that it's been edited, shows cages complete lack of honesty. Feel free to edit this post also I will keep them coming, just shows you know TG cannot stand on its own merit.
No need to edit this edition of your drivel (SAT Word of the Day). Why are you completely absorbed with the activities around the Top Guns program?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great job by Team Elevate trying something new. Seems TG is very helpful in recruiting process also.

Does anyone have real details about what Elevate is doing? What schools, how many days, is it open to non-Elevate players?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cage-would you consider posting a "Wish I Knew This The First Time" so that parents and athletes could put helpful things for those of going through the process now? Thank you, Alot of stuff I read on here is helping me in high school.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Cage-would you consider posting a "Wish I Knew This The First Time" so that parents and athletes could put helpful things for those of going through the process now? Thank you, Alot of stuff I read on here is helping me in high school.
Thank you for the kind words and interest. The College Forum here on BOTC is designed exactly for this purpose. On the Ribbon Bar, click "Forum List" and you will see the College Forum in the Lacrosse Library.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then change clubs.

Worst case, you get to see some other schools and have something to compare to when you do visit your top schools. Best case, you fall in love with a school you never considered. Either way, you spend a few days with your teammates off the field - I don't see any downside and I'm not involved with either club.

Either club? I thought they were talking about Elevate doing this, who else is doing it? I have done exactly this with my daughter and a group of friends from several different teams and went on to play at prestigious colleges summer tournaments. Completely player and parent organized and it has worked out very well. No bus but like that idea too. Is this idea organized by elevate or by parents and players? We have also opted out of similar events because of lack of interest for college, tournament and or coaches present. The idea of the summer clubs we play for is to have the teams play in at least several tournament with a good cross section of exposure to a wide variety of recruiters, are these clubs failing us that we have to go out on our own to get the desired exposure?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then change clubs.

Either club? I thought they were talking about Elevate doing this, who else is doing it? I have done exactly this with my daughter and a group of friends from several different teams and went on to play at prestigious colleges summer tournaments. Completely player and parent organized and it has worked out very well. No bus but like that idea too. Is this idea organized by elevate or by parents and players? We have also opted out of similar events because of lack of interest for college, tournament and or coaches present. The idea of the summer clubs we play for is to have the teams play in at least several tournament with a good cross section of exposure to a wide variety of recruiters, are these clubs failing us that we have to go out on our own to get the desired exposure?

If you think your club is going to do everything for you, you're failing quite well on your own....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No need to edit this edition of your drivel (SAT Word of the Day). Why are you completely absorbed with the activities around the Top Guns program?

Probably a TG has-been, or never-will be, who just can't let go, and is unhappy on YJ team 4 or 5, so he just hangs around here to criticize continuously. It's people like this hat make me happy they're not actually with TG.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does anyone have real details about what Elevate is doing? What schools, how many days, is it open to non-Elevate players?

Why don't you email Elevate? Don't be afraid....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My opinion is that clubs can't be everything for everyone. Most of them work very hard to improve the club which by default makes the kids better and more recruitable (if that's a word...lol).
Parental involvement and guidance can never be replaced and is critical in the formation of solid character and values. Not to mention the invaluable experiences that will be shared when parents take their kids to college showcases and clinics. By the way, it is the most effective way to see the campus, see the culture of the current teams players and get a great look from the coaches.
This formula has worked great for us and we have some great memories and an amazing college recruiting result to show for it. The clubs are a great tool to be utilized to improve your players skills and a great resource to get your foot in the "recruiting door" but the rest is up to you....as it should be.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My opinion is that clubs can't be everything for everyone. Most of them work very hard to improve the club which by default makes the kids better and more recruitable (if that's a word...lol).
Parental involvement and guidance can never be replaced and is critical in the formation of solid character and values. Not to mention the invaluable experiences that will be shared when parents take their kids to college showcases and clinics. By the way, it is the most effective way to see the campus, see the culture of the current teams players and get a great look from the coaches.
This formula has worked great for us and we have some great memories and an amazing college recruiting result to show for it. The clubs are a great tool to be utilized to improve your players skills and a great resource to get your foot in the "recruiting door" but the rest is up to you....as it should be.

That's an awesome, encouraging take on it. We're just starting the process, with our 2017 daughter, and so far it's already been great, and I agree with your take on it 100%!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I did not want to hijack the TG thread but I thought that if you wanted the details I would let you know them. This is a team organized event and not a parent event. We are visiting the following schools via a coach bus in this order Yale, UCONN, Boston College, Harvard, Brown, Bryant, Connecticut College and Fairfield.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by teamelevate

I did not want to hijack the TG thread but I thought that if you wanted the details I would let you know them. This is a team organized event and not a parent event. We are visiting the following schools via a coach bus in this order Yale, UCONN, Boston College, Harvard, Brown, Bryant, Connecticut College and Fairfield.

I think it is a great idea.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great idea! A nice variety of schools and a great starting point for the girls and their families. It's a fun and exciting time in their lives.... I think this will make it more fun for them. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is so cool!

Great idea! A nice variety of schools and a great starting point for the girls and their families. It's a fun and exciting time in their lives.... I think this will make it more fun for them. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

That is so cool!

I also think it's a pretty cool idea, especially at the point where they're just about starting the recruiting process. I know my own kids had no clue what kind of school they wanted, big/small, rural/urban, etc. This trip gives the kids a nice chance to see a range of schools and get a feel for what feels like something they would like -- withouth their parents toting them all over because we all know how much teens love family trips away from friends. smirk

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like the idea but I think the idea of choosing a college should be left up to the child and the parent paying for the college. Sounds like fun though and for people who think the club does all the work they have another thing coming. If your daughter is that GOOD she will be recruited and verbally committed by 10th grade if she is good, it takes a lot of work by all parties involved to find the right college and a decent offer to play at the right college. A lot of colleges want the good player but do not have the money to offer. A lot of colleges have camps or clinics for the athletes knowing they have recruited that class already. Its the used car business if you havent realized that already.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the only time topguns is helpful in recruiting is if your a blue chip player.... and if you are, you dont need them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the only time topguns is helpful in recruiting is if your a blue chip player.... and if you are, you dont need them.

That's so untrue, it's ridiculous. Go away!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If they're not helping you, and you're a TG parent, it's time for a look in the mirror. It might be due to your behavior. So many parents get crazy, negative, pushy, and critical, that I'm sure the Smiths are much less motivated to help them! Leaves them more time to help the parents who are respectful, patient, supportive, and helpful to the program.

Unfortunately, I've seen so many parents, who think they're helping their kids, by constantly questioning and criticizing the coaches & program. It happens in travel, youth, and HS. The poor kids of those parents will always be fighting an uphill battle, to counteract their parents' behavior. I have friends who are HS and college coaches, and a big part of the recruiting conversation is the PARENTS! If the kids are similar, the coach will ALWAYS take the one with quieter parents, even if the kid is slightly less skilled!

The comments, questions, and negativity usually makes its way back to the coaches and directors. They know who the problem parents are, believe me. Do your kids a favor, and watch your behavior, sideline comments, etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If they're not helping you, and you're a TG parent, it's time for a look in the mirror. It might be due to your behavior. So many parents get crazy, negative, pushy, and critical, that I'm sure the Smiths are much less motivated to help them! Leaves them more time to help the parents who are respectful, patient, supportive, and helpful to the program.

Unfortunately, I've seen so many parents, who think they're helping their kids, by constantly questioning and criticizing the coaches & program. It happens in travel, youth, and HS. The poor kids of those parents will always be fighting an uphill battle, to counteract their parents' behavior. I have friends who are HS and college coaches, and a big part of the recruiting conversation is the PARENTS! If the kids are similar, the coach will ALWAYS take the one with quieter parents, even if the kid is slightly less skilled!

The comments, questions, and negativity usually makes its way back to the coaches and directors. They know who the problem parents are, believe me. Do your kids a favor, and watch your behavior, sideline comments, etc.

Sounds about right the Smiths should punish those kids that have parents that dare to criticize them. Those comments usually find there way back to the Smiths because parents like you feel the only way to get your kid ahead is go to the Smiths and make a lot of nonsense up about so and so who's kid is way better than yours.The funniest thing about your comment is BS was the worst sideline parent out there , go ask some of SS old teammates .

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Sounds about right the Smiths should punish those kids that have parents that dare to criticize them.
That is not what our original poster suggested and demonstrates that you have a fundamental lack of reading comprehension skills. The poster was not discussing "punishment" in response to "criticism", but instead was talking about negative behaviors which would impact the student-athlete's standing with the team.

A coach has an option to go the extra mile for a given player and will do that for one of many reasons. However, that same coach who has been chastized on multiple occasions by a given parent might not be as willing to help.

That is not "punishment".

Those comments usually find there way back to the Smiths because parents like you feel the only way to get your kid ahead is go to the Smiths and make a lot of nonsense up about so and so who's kid is way better than yours.
Your sentence expresses absolutely zero value-added content.

The funniest thing about your comment is BS was the worst sideline parent out there , go ask some of SS old teammates.
BOTC would certainly like to do just that.

Let's start with you since you have all the answers. Contact us at cagesage@backofthecage.com with some names including your own. BOTC will do the legwork.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sounds about right the Smiths should punish those kids that have parents that dare to criticize them. Those comments usually find there way back to the Smiths because parents like you feel the only way to get your kid ahead is go to the Smiths and make a lot of nonsense up about so and so who's kid is way better than yours.The funniest thing about your comment is BS was the worst sideline parent out there , go ask some of SS old teammates .

I have been on the sideline for many SS games that BS was in attendance, don't know if he ever missed any game she played. And your right, he was your typical loud, obnoxious lacrosse parent, a typical YJ parent. No better and no worse than all the rest.This would be a great sport if we could rid of the parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're not even following my point. It's not about "punishing" the kids, and I never talk to the smiths about other kids. Those parents are in the group who who don't get, which I think includes you. They'll also be the first ones to blame the smiths for not helping them enough with the recruiting process. BS' past behavior as a parent has nothing to do with my point either. I was talking about how parents can really hurt their kids' chances of getting help, and can lower their standing with the coaches and directors. Some people need to evaluate their own behavior, and sometimes that includes keeping their mouths shut, even when it's not easy, just for the benefit of their kids. Half the bitching is useless and unwarranted anyway. In general, people like to complain, and it's contagious. However, it usually hurts your kid, not helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds about right the Smiths should punish those kids that have parents that dare to criticize them.
That is not what our original poster suggested and demonstrates that you have a fundamental lack of reading comprehension skills. The poster was not discussing "punishment" in response to "criticism", but instead was talking about negative behaviors which would impact the student-athlete's standing with the team.

A coach has an option to go the extra mile for a given player and will do that for one of many reasons. However, that same coach who has been chastized on multiple occasions by a given parent might not be as willing to help.

To inflict a penalty( not helping or worse purposely hurting a recruit) in retaliation for the perceived commission of an offense ( being critical) is punishment.

Those comments usually find there way back to the Smiths because parents like you feel the only way to get your kid ahead is go to the Smiths and make a lot of nonsense up about so and so who's kid is way better than yours.

Which would also equate to your comment having zero- added content

The funniest thing about your comment is BS was the worst sideline parent out there , go ask some of SS old teammates.

Let's start with you since you have all the answers. Contact us at cagesage@backofthecage.com with some names including your own. BOTC will do the legwork.

I actually like SS but have found her fathers antics back in the YJ days to present not representative of a good role model. Find in inexcusable that you are okay w them accepting people's money for years but would not put their best effort forward to help a kid who has done nothing to them get recruited. If you do not want people posting anonymously then don't allow it.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I actually like SS but have found her fathers antics back in the YJ days to present not representative of a good role model.
My e-mail in-box is still working - just checked. Feel free to offer us additional details as you were invited previously.

Find in inexcusable that you are okay w them accepting people's money for years but would not put their best effort forward to help a kid who has done nothing to them get recruited.
BOTC never stated anything to that effect.

If you do not want people posting anonymously then don't allow it.
If you do not like our sandbox and rules ... well, you know the rest.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Found the following embedded in your previous response.

To inflict a penalty( not helping or worse purposely hurting a recruit) in retaliation for the perceived commission of an offense ( being critical) is punishment.
Offering recruiting help is not something that we have seen on any club's recruiting flyer to date. BOTC believes that too many lacrosse families are relegating this role to the club directors which is leading to this idea of punishment and retaliation. Parents are expecting a service which was never explicitly promised.

The fact is that unless you signed something with your club that said that part of your tuition was being directed towards recruiting support, this is likely something not guaranteed. Therefore, a player cannot be "punished" by not receiving a service not promised.

Our solution here is quite simple : Let the club director's run their clubs and the right support for your child will flow. If you are unhappy with your club (which should be known well before the recruiting ages), find another option.

Parents are always the best advocates for their children. Direct that effort to guiding a college communications campaign with your child rather than working over the club coaches.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Which would also equate to your comment having zero- added content

I actually like SS but have found her fathers antics back in the YJ days to present not representative of a good role model. Find in inexcusable that you are okay w them accepting people's money for years but would not put their best effort forward to help a kid who has done nothing to them get recruited. If you do not want people posting anonymously then don't allow it.

It's not an intentional punishment to the child. It's a natural reaction to not go out of your way to help parents, or work closely with parents, who have been negative, critical, back-stabbing, etc. You would also gravitate toward the parents who are supportive, don't bother you about everything, nag you about things that don't even really matter, etc. People behave like that, and then don't understand why they might not be getting the best service and attention from the organization. That's life - fair or not, you should try to act in a way that makes people want to help you out! Otherwise, you're on your own, and should go try another program. Nothing was promised on the recruiting side of things when you signed up for TG. However, if you work it right, you can get great help!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Found the following embedded in your previous response.

Offering recruiting help is not something that we have seen on any club's recruiting flyer to date. BOTC believes that too many lacrosse families are relegating this role to the club directors which is leading to this idea of punishment and retaliation. Parents are expecting a service which was never explicitly promised.

The fact is that unless you signed something with your club that said that part of your tuition was being directed towards recruiting support, this is likely something not guaranteed. Therefore, a player cannot be "punished" by not receiving a service not promised.

Our solution here is quite simple : Let the club director's run their clubs and the right support for your child will flow. If you are unhappy with your club (which should be known well before the recruiting ages), find another option.

Parents are always the best advocates for their children. Direct that effort to guiding a college communications campaign with your child rather than working over the club coaches.

So I guess a coach cannot use playing time as a punishment because you never signed something in regard to playing time. The actual fact is if your club is not doing something to help you with the recruiting process your club is failing you.Further if a coach or club owner does nothing to help a child because they do not like something about that kids parent they are punishing that child.

Like Reply Quote
Page 93 of 220 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard