BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,579
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 38 of 70 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The best goalies were at Jake Reed this past summer and Philly showcase. And he is NOT from Long Island!!! That's by most accounts !!!

Sounds like your account. Any Varsity stats to back up your opinion?

Congrats to him but as far as varsity stats the reality is that that league in Rochester is so weak that those varsity teams wouldn't even be competitive in the MIAA jV league. So really can't compare. Be real!

So weak??? Have you seen the long list of D1 college commitments? The top club teams (Sweetlax) have more commitments than the Baracudas! You need to get a clue

Mr Clueless, there are Individual Schools in the MIAA with more commits than your entire All Star "Club" team. Weak counter, at best.

It's just funny how you can't be happy for a tremendous young student athlete, who has just been named the first goalie in the 2017 grad year to commit to a top 40 academic, top 10 lax school. The boy received recognition for excelling at his position as a eighth grader on Varsity. but YOU just have to find something to put the kid down, sad. What's the matter, is your son not getting any interest? This kid was being pursued by many of the top lax/academic programs, so I guess the competition can't be too weak upstate. And the comparison between Sweetlax and Express (probably the best overall committed club on LI) was meant to show that the upstate clubs are doing just as well as LI. Not everyone can attend a Ward Melville, but if a kid is good the colleges will find them!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would imagine most of the best players were not there! If already a top player then you are already committed or already fielding offers so why would you go? What you saw was more than likely the 2nd tier of 2017 talent! That was not a very well throughout post! If your in the top tier of your class, sorry but there is no need to go to these camps with everyone else. Your already committed, offered or on their radar. Duh!
And dad, if your 2016 is there... Well then their you go because most of the top teams have already filled up their spots for 2016 class so your probably at the wrong schools. The TOP players do not need to go to these "prospect" camps. They are for everyone else. Sorry!

have to admit that he has a point there, 2016 dad...why is your outstanding 2016 kid still not committed? or....is he actually a 2015 in drag as a 2016 trying to impress coaches by playing 2017's????

no one has brought up that possibility...

"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? NO," now get that 2015 to the 2018 3d camp asap! "Nothings over till we say its over"

"You want the truth, you can't handel the truth!" Your kids not going D1

Your poor attempt at slinging a demeaning little grammatically incorrect non-sequitur into a film genre that was not indicated ruined the whole flow.

Now drop and give me 20! (And please attempt to use English properly.

I am sure that one of those perp (I mean Prep wink ) schools in MD must teach that course; or is it just an expensive year of babysitting the cheating holdback?

Dean at MD prep school to his held back lax players, "Here are your grade point avarages. Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the holdback 2016 class! Now go and kick some 2017 little kids [lacrosse]![edited for the academically animal house challenged]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would imagine most of the best players were not there! If already a top player then you are already committed or already fielding offers so why would you go? What you saw was more than likely the 2nd tier of 2017 talent! That was not a very well throughout post! If your in the top tier of your class, sorry but there is no need to go to these camps with everyone else. Your already committed, offered or on their radar. Duh!
And dad, if your 2016 is there... Well then their you go because most of the top teams have already filled up their spots for 2016 class so your probably at the wrong schools. The TOP players do not need to go to these "prospect" camps. They are for everyone else. Sorry!

have to admit that he has a point there, 2016 dad...why is your outstanding 2016 kid still not committed? or....is he actually a 2015 in drag as a 2016 trying to impress coaches by playing 2017's????

no one has brought up that possibility...

"Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? NO," now get that 2015 to the 2018 3d camp asap! "Nothings over till we say its over"

"You want the truth, you can't handel the truth!" Your kids not going D1

Your poor attempt at slinging a demeaning little grammatically incorrect non-sequitur into a film genre that was not indicated ruined the whole flow.

Now drop and give me 20! (And please attempt to use English properly.

I am sure that one of those perp (I mean Prep wink ) schools in MD must teach that course; or is it just an expensive year of babysitting the cheating holdback?

Dean at MD prep school to his held back lax players, "Here are your grade point avarages. Mr. Kroger: two C's, two D's and an F. That's a 1.2. Congratulations, Kroger. You're at the top of the holdback 2016 class! Now go and kick some 2017 little kids [lacrosse]![edited for the academically animal house challenged]

Seven years of High School down the drain....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you guys realize how obsessed you are with high school freshman boys? Get a life.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like the Turtles are not all going Ivy!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Looks like the Turtles are not all going Ivy!
That is breaking news - what a shocker. Perhaps BOTC has been telling folks this information for some time based on what it takes to actually get accepted academically?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC has officially lost their minds!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why??? And a simple congrats to the young man and his family might be a little more fitting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With all the scrutiny the football program and the Athletic Dept is receiving, you would think that the AD, Chancellor and President would ask the lacrosse staff to stop recruiting young boys and focus on scholar athletes who have proven themselves both in the classroom and on the lacrosse field.

The current staff does have a proven track record of success in the NCAA tournament. This must be why they get such a long leash.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow. Still taking pokes at one of the finest teams to have played youth ball. Oh, wait, they lost a game or two. Let's bash em hard, jealous boy.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why??? And a simple congrats to the young man and his family might be a little more fitting.
Exactly Congrats to him and his parents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congrats as well, but I am going to concur with the comment of what is UNC doing? Not making any comments about the young men who have committed there, but it does blow my mind that UNC now has eight 2017 players committed. That is just unprecedented in any men's sport.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In for a penny, in for a pound...Well, we will all get to see if early recruiting works, NC went all in

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard how the 3d regional tryouts
for Jake Reed are going? I heard there were a
lot of direct invites out of Maryland. Not sure how
true but a coworker mentioned that one '17 club
from Maryland had between 8-10 direct invites!
That would be 20% of the total directs. Does anyone
know which club got all those invites? Crabs or
MadLax?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congrats as well, but I am going to concur with the comment of what is UNC doing? Not making any comments about the young men who have committed there, but it does blow my mind that UNC now has eight 2017 players committed. That is just unprecedented in any men's sport.

It will be an interesting comparison vs. Duke. UNC has 8 2017 commits already and UVA has 6, John Hopkins has 4 and I am hearing a few more shortly. Duke has 0 and probably won't until the summer time. Kids I know who have committed to UNC, UVA, and JHU are all very good today without a doubt. Time will tell which strategy play out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MadLax?

It wasn't MadLax. Also, JR is becoming an old joke at this point. 240 kids per grade starting with 8th graders is quite a degradation of what it used to be.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It will be an interesting comparison vs. Duke. UNC has 8 2017 commits already and UVA has 6, John Hopkins has 4 and I am hearing a few more shortly. Duke has 0 and probably won't until the summer time. Kids I know who have committed to UNC, UVA, and JHU are all very good today without a doubt. Time will tell which strategy play out.

Hard to understand this strategy of these D1 programs. UNC, Hop, UVA take a bunch of players in 2017 now. And than Penn St, Ohio St, Bucknell & Mich take 1 or 2 players each for now. What gives??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The same thing happens in every other sport. I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised. There are d1 football players who verbal in 7th and 8th grade. This happens in every sport.
The thing that hasn't happened at a rate that is does in other sports is players changing their minds before they actually sign their letter of intent. It will be interesting to see if these kids start to change their mind more frequently like they do in basketball and football.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The difference in football is that an offer isn't an exploding offer, and in football top recruits get many, many offers. Also, the best players while they may get offers as freshmen and sophomores just about never commit as freshmen or sophomores, and the best players often wait until they are juniors and seniors.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Few can argue with Duke's strategy. Duke has reached the Final 4 in each of the last seven years since 2007 when Coach Danowski took over and has appeared in the NCAA championship game four time during that span winning two National Championships. Duke has mastered the art of assembling championship caliber teams by taking its time to identify HS players that possess not only the talent but the intangibles necessary to be productive college players.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets not get carried away with Duke holding out, they have 8 public commits from the 2016 class. They are 10th graders who have not played their sophomore HS year. Recruiting is a process and Duke is in it. If you do not think that they are looking at 8th and 9th graders you are crazy. I will give Duke credit for not having any official 9th grade commits but I suspect they are out there making their list and checking it twice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MadLax?

Everywhere I see JAke Reed they only mention 120 per grade. Where do you see 240 players per grade?

It wasn't MadLax. Also, JR is becoming an old joke at this point. 240 kids per grade starting with 8th graders is quite a degradation of what it used to be.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hard to say how this will effect Duke. This is the first year many 9th graders are going. I think we will see the results of sitting on the sidelines in a couple of years. Several of these early commits were officail Duke Prospects. I think even Duke is suprised on whats going on.

So many great Players out there for many Teams to choose from, now we will see who the good Coaches are out there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well, they did pick a kid who by definition, has no other credentials to his name other than his club team where he a was marginal second line at best and a so-so player on the Brine stacked Long Island North team again riding the coat tails of other really good players on that team

was not at 3D...did not make JR...did not go to Philly Showcase

and I am not even sure if he was at a UNC prospect camp (it would be intersting to know)

and is very well know to be very shy from physical contact and has no prob riding the bench.

congrats to him for getting that far under the proverbial radar but there must be much more to the $tory...

good luck with the big boys at UNC...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whatever Duke does or doesn't do in regards to recruiting doesn't seem to matter. Look at their 2016 class. All these kids received offers from UNC, Hopkins, UVA etc...and could have gone to any school. Duke takes its time and only makes offers to players they feel best fit their system and style of play. Seems like some of the other schools mentioned are more interested in over-subscribing talent and building all-star teams which everyone knows does not translate into championships.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to get some opinions. My 2017 son is a very good player with a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes (for now!) He has serious interest and offers from the following schools. Syracuse(#2 lax, #62 rank).4 of tuition, and Georgetown (not lax ranked,#20 rank) .4 tuition, Maryland (#10 lax, #62 rank), .33 Tuition, UNC (#5 lax rank, #30 rank) .25 of total cost, and Penn State (#11 lax , 37 rank) .5 of total. It is such a big decision, and we are leaning to one, but would like to know if anyone has any words of wisdom in making this choice. Thanks!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whatever Duke does or doesn't do in regards to recruiting doesn't seem to matter. Look at their 2016 class. All these kids received offers from UNC, Hopkins, UVA etc...and could have gone to any school. Duke takes its time and only makes offers to players they feel best fit their system and style of play. Seems like some of the other schools mentioned are more interested in over-subscribing talent and building all-star teams which everyone knows does not translate into championships.

It also doesn't hurt when you have an All-Star at the face off X as well. Duke killed at the X. Go back to last years championship game. If Syracuse goes even 50% on faces they win that game hands down. Syracuse has a history of All-Star players. Powell, Gait, Jamison, etc.. Superstars win you Championships, as no other program comes close to Syracuse. Watch out this year with Galasso healthy, and the new superstar from OCC coming in. Just happens to be Jamison's cousin. You heard it here.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I would like to get some opinions. My 2017 son is a very good player with a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes (for now!) He has serious interest and offers from the following schools. Syracuse(#2 lax, #62 rank).4 of tuition, and Georgetown (not lax ranked,#20 rank) .4 tuition, Maryland (#10 lax, #62 rank), .33 Tuition, UNC (#5 lax rank, #30 rank) .25 of total cost, and Penn State (#11 lax , 37 rank) .5 of total. It is such a big decision, and we are leaning to one, but would like to know if anyone has any words of wisdom in making this choice. Thanks!
Reality check time - with a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes, you can most certainly rule out Georgetown, UNC, and likely Penn State as an out-of-state individual.

Boston College (#31) has published some great statistics that you might want to consider : 85% of their enrolled freshman class comes from the Top 10% of their High School classes. 96% of their enrolled freshman class comes from the Top 25% of their High School classes.

These metrics are common across all of the Top 30 schools and often paint the realistic academic picture for parents. Further, when one considers that admission couselors at top institutions are looking for the most aggressive curriculums in your student's transcript (meaning AP/IB courses), maintaining a B+/A- in non-honors classes will not cut it.

From this listing, we would estimate that your only realistic choices would be Syracuse and Maryland - however, we would strongly urge you to find some softer options in order to create a better match situation.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Reality check time - with a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes, you can most certainly rule out Georgetown, UNC, and likely Penn State as an out-of-state individual.

Boston College (#31) has published some great statistics that you might want to consider : 85% of their enrolled freshman class comes from the Top 10% of their High School classes. 96% of their enrolled freshman class comes from the Top 25% of their High School classes.

These metrics are common across all of the Top 30 schools and often paint the realistic academic picture for parents. Further, when one considers that admission couselors at top institutions are looking for the most aggressive curriculums in your student's transcript (meaning AP/IB courses), maintaining a B+/A- in non-honors classes will not cut it.

From this listing, we would estimate that your only realistic choices would be Syracuse and Maryland - however, we would strongly urge you to find some softer options in order to create a better match situation.

Thanks Cage, I appreciate your input!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One question: How is it that these schools are able to make these offers, knowing the students academic profile. They say we just have to maintain the current grades and get a 1100-1200 SAT (depends on school) and we are good? They all said (Georgetown included) that honors classes are not necessary. All the money I mentioned is strictly athletic. I would think they would need to be upfront about the requirements if we are not on the right track. We have actually pretty much ruled Georgetown out because of the challenging academics and lack of academic support, but their offer still stands.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If this athlete scores in the 90th percentile or better on the SATs, then being a great/recruited lacrosse player with a 3.5 in non-honors will get him into all of the aforementioned schools and -- if he is already garnering this kind of attention from lax programs -- probably even better. The SAT has been, and will always be, the real determining factor in college admissions.

With rank in class often not disclosed, grade inflation (and in some cases recently grade deflation), and no real way to differentiate High School X's non-honors curriculum from High School Y's honors curriculum, the SAT always makes the difference.

For example, Regis High School has no AP classes, yet every NY public high school offers every conceivable AP class. I would venture a guess that the non-AP classes at Regis are, on average, more competitive and probably cover more ground than the AP curriculum elsewhere. On the other hand, AP classes at one of the trophy publics (like Bronx HS of Science) are probably even more competitive.

Fortunately for the average student lacrosse athlete applying to college, neither school plays lacrosse.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
If this athlete scores in the 90th percentile or better on the SATs, then being a great/recruited lacrosse player with a 3.5 in non-honors will get him into all of the aforementioned schools and -- if he is already garnering this kind of attention from lax programs -- probably even better. The SAT has been, and will always be, the real determining factor in college admissions.
Expecting a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes to now achieve a 90th percentile SAT performance is unrealistic. The Mathematics section alone, without Algebra II/Trigonometry mastery, will fall well short of the 650 score which immediately takes you out of the 90th-percentile.

With rank in class often not disclosed, grade inflation (and in some cases recently grade deflation), and no real way to differentiate High School X's non-honors curriculum from High School Y's honors curriculum, the SAT always makes the difference.
There is a common misconception that rank is not revealed. With your child's transcript, your High School will send a school profile document. If you have not seen it, you should request a copy. That document will disclose the grades associated with each decile in the graduating class along with the top level courses offered in each academic discipline. Assuming that your child's rank - or at least decile - cannot be determined demonstrates a clear lack of understand of the college admissions process.

For example, Regis High School has no AP classes, yet every NY public high school offers every conceivable AP class.
Regis specifically deals with this in their academic profile.

I would venture a guess that the non-AP classes at Regis are, on average, more competitive and probably cover more ground than the AP curriculum elsewhere.
That would be incorrect.

On the other hand, AP classes at one of the trophy publics (like Bronx HS of Science) are probably even more competitive.
Advanced placement is consistent across most High Schools - the actual end-game performance on the exam measures the effectiveness.

Fortunately for the average student lacrosse athlete applying to college, neither school plays lacrosse.
Focus on academics, the major selection process, and location/alumni network. All three of these will have longer lasting effects on your child over and above the impact of lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well, they did pick a kid who by definition, has no other credentials to his name other than his club team where he a was marginal second line at best and a so-so player on the Brine stacked Long Island North team again riding the coat tails of other really good players on that team

and I am not even sure if he was at a UNC prospect camp (it would be intersting to know)

and is very well know to be very shy from physical contact and has no prob riding the bench.

congrats to him for getting that far under the proverbial radar but there must be much more to the $tory...

you should write for the inquirer. try to get some facts straight before letting your emotions send something like this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One question: How is it that these schools are able to make these offers, knowing the students academic profile. They say we just have to maintain the current grades and get a 1100-1200 SAT (depends on school) and we are good? They all said (Georgetown included) that honors classes are not necessary. All the money I mentioned is strictly athletic. I would think they would need to be upfront about the requirements if we are not on the right track. We have actually pretty much ruled Georgetown out because of the challenging academics and lack of academic support, but their offer still stands.

DO NOT TAKE THAT ADVISE. all due respect Cage but that is ill advised and just downright inaccurate. You are bringing in non athletic general admission statistics which I hope we all can agree DO NOT MATTER. Be hones with the coaches that are recruiting you about your studies and they will guide you through the process.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You have no clue what you are talking about.You sound very angry and jealous of what this young man has achieved, but I will agree with one thing, I do wish him good luck!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congratulations to your son! Out of curiosity, are there any time limits on these offers?

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
DO NOT TAKE THAT ADVISE. all due respect Cage but that is ill advised and just downright inaccurate. You are bringing in non athletic general admission statistics which I hope we all can agree DO NOT MATTER. Be hones with the coaches that are recruiting you about your studies and they will guide you through the process.
Dear Friend : My family has already done the academic/Ivy chase - twice. Both of my children (boy/girl) were academic valedictorians, sports team captains, regional athletes, All-State band participants, every honor society under the sun, and recruited by various schools. Would you like to talk about my placement career as a coach? Again, this is not about me - or my family - but if you want to challenge our advice, I thought it only fair to tell you from whence this information flows.

Expecting a 2017 graduate to already have "guaranteed admission" with 0.25-0.40 scholarships with a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes and no SAT/ACT performance numbers is following a yellow-brick road to no where.

Attending an academic institution where your student-athlete simply cannot keep pace is a parental nightmare (wait until you get that call) and happens to be one of the top reasons why you see can't miss Long Island superstars attending institutions a thousand miles and eight hours from home as freshmen and returning to a local outfit within a short time as a sophomore.

Now, if you would like to ask a constructive question, please feel free.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congratulations to your son! Out of curiosity, are there any time limits on these offers?

Yes, once the "spot is filled" offer not guaranteed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dear Friend : My family has already done the academic/Ivy chase - twice. Both of my children (boy/girl) were academic valedictorians, sports team captains, regional athletes, All-State band participants, every honor society under the sun, and recruited by various schools. Would you like to talk about my placement career as a coach? Again, this is not about me - or my family - but if you want to challenge our advice, I thought it only fair to tell you from whence this information flows.

Expecting a 2017 graduate to already have "guaranteed admission" with 0.25-0.40 scholarships with a 3.5 GPA in non-honors classes and no SAT/ACT performance numbers is following a yellow-brick road to no where.

Attending an academic institution where your student-athlete simply cannot keep pace is a parental nightmare (wait until you get that call) and happens to be one of the top reasons why you see can't miss Long Island superstars attending institutions a thousand miles and eight hours from home as freshmen and returning to a local outfit within a short time as a sophomore.

Now, if you would like to ask a constructive question, please feel free.

Again, will all due respect.
If a college coach is offering you an opportunity to attend one of the schools mentioned and you have a 3.5 in the first semester of 9th grade you have plenty of time to improve your grades. The schools mentioned were not IVY's and have a track record of accepting I'll call it average/ above average athletes. if we've learned anything from the post if the coach wants you bad enough they will get you in, and yes you will have to study not party to earn the degree.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It also doesn't hurt when you have an All-Star at the face off X as well. Duke killed at the X. Go back to last years championship game. If Syracuse goes even 50% on faces they win that game hands down. Syracuse has a history of All-Star players. Powell, Gait, Jamison, etc.. Superstars win you Championships, as no other program comes close to Syracuse. Watch out this year with Galasso healthy, and the new superstar from OCC coming in. Just happens to be Jamison's cousin. You heard it here.

Syracuse is not a great academic school (62), when compared to many of the other top lax schools. Too expensive for what you get. Also has a dump for a town. If you live for a lacrosse championship and don't care about what happens after college, or you are a great player with weaker academics, it is the best place! Oh, and the dome, not a fan!

Page 38 of 70 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard