Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Main Forum Philadelphia & Vicinity
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:48 AM
Girls 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:22 AM
Girls 2025-9th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 06:04 AM
Boys 2026-8th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 12:51 AM
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/07/22 12:36 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,160
Posts342,060
Members2,466
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 6 55 56
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!
Anonymous #51278 01/11/14 05:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
That may be true that he should be in 8th grade but unlike lacrosse when it comes to tournament play he has to play with kids that were born his same year. Wish US Lacrosse would adopt the same system. I believe that a large percentage of the NHL have birthdays in the first three months of their birth year.

The big difference between lacrosse and hockey is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, for hockey it is the NHL ant they base the draft on Birth year, for lacrosse it is NCAA D1 an they base recruiting on grades so it will never change - my son is a 2000 birth year 2018, I do not want him playing against 2000 birth year 2019's or 2020's because it will do nothing for him from a recruiting point of you,

Can someone please do a birth year comparison on the MLB draft last night? Aren't we all focused on the 1,000 mll game check?

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #51279 01/11/14 05:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Justify all you want. However you justify it, it all comes down to the same thing. People are trying to help their children. They want to give their child an advantage that will help them in some way.

it is all the same, kindergarden holdback, 9th grade reclass, PG year at prep and non medical redshirt in college.

It is all done to help the kid gain an advantage.

I live in the city and psycho parents here holdback too but for academic advantages. If you have a kid born after June the pvt schools won't even accept them and force you to hold back.

Like Reply Quote
CageSage #51289 01/11/14 08:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
I wonder how many of the accelerated programs in the LI schools are made up of the "older" student body for the grade. And how many are made up of the younger "sept -dec".
I can tell you categorically that "accelerated programs" and "academic holdbacks" are diametrically (SAT Word of the Day) opposing terms. In fact, you will more often find students "playing up" in accelerated academic settings. The difference of birth month within the academic calendar year is a non-issue.

In my district, the good majority of students playing up academically are the students who should be a year ahead in the first place. gaming the system.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51303 01/12/14 05:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have $$ and hire private tutors and trainers for your son, and send him to he best camps and training sessions that money can buy (and few of his peers can afford), is that a form of cheating similar to holding back? Is it an unfair advantage? I know families who have bought their sons a hundred or more private sessions at 60 bucks a pop with excellent college players. Is that fair, especially to those of us who cannot afford it?

My son is a very good 8th grader, but he may "lose" a college spot to a holdback. We live in VA near DC and the first three verbals from our area for 2017 are holdbacks. It is a little annoying but, as with love and war, all is fair when it comes to your children. My two cents.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51307 01/12/14 07:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there are people that can afford to pay to give their kids the best possible shot. For those people I say go have at it. those people still have their kid competing against others hi/her own age.

For other that hold their kid back for an advantage, the have crossed the line. they are cheating because they are taking advantage of other kids that are not as physically or mentally mature. We have all seen the studs that stand head and shoulders above everyone else on the field because they are a year older. Unlike, the age appropriate kid that just hit his growth spurt early...

You can all justify but in your heart of heart, you know you are cheating.

Hope you can sleep well.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #51309 01/12/14 07:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have $$ and hire private tutors and trainers for your son, and send him to he best camps and training sessions that money can buy (and few of his peers can afford), is that a form of cheating similar to holding back? Is it an unfair advantage? I know families who have bought their sons a hundred or more private sessions at 60 bucks a pop with excellent college players. Is that fair, especially to those of us who cannot afford it?

My son is a very good 8th grader, but he may "lose" a college spot to a holdback. We live in VA near DC and the first three verbals from our area for 2017 are holdbacks. It is a little annoying but, as with love and war, all is fair when it comes to your children. My two cents.

Working hard, making the most of your advantages, and maximizing one's potential relative to one's peers, is admirable. Providing those advantages and encouragement is good parenting.

Holding a kid back to change his peer group to gain an advantage is gaming the system. There is very little to admire in that situation.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51312 01/12/14 08:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unc just goes a commit from Texas. 2017 who will be taking a PG. I think that should be a new low, unc taking an effective 8th grader....

Like Reply Quote
CageSage #51370 01/13/14 07:57 PM
V
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
V
Originally Posted by CageSage
Well said VA Lax dad. I have read all of your post. We are on the same page with all of this nonsense . I just wish US Lacrosse would do something about it. Thanks Again. Long Island Lax Dad
BOTC has actually e-mailed our contacts here on Long Island and we have asked that this thread be passed along to our US Lacrosse peers as a lesson in what is really happening on the ground. Would it surprise you to hear that the Long Island organization responded within five minutes ... and the US Lacrosse organization ... well, let's just say we hope that they opened the e-mail.

Very impressive CS. Thank you for reaching out to USL. I registered my son today on a website requiring USL membership. This notice popped up:
Confirmation of Birthdate

If the birth date is incorrect or invalid and results in your child being assigned to an incorrect age group, the US Lacrosse membership for your child and all benefits that accompany membership, including supplemental accident insurance coverage and the ability to play at events that require US Lacrosse membership, may be voided and/or terminated.
Please confirm the birthdate enter is correct. Y/N

This seems like a positive first step. Hopefully they will continue to refine the process

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51382 01/14/14 12:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No silly. The 2017 from Texas is really a 2016 who will reclass as a 2017 when he does his pg year. He is currently a sophomore.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51385 01/14/14 08:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unc just goes a commit from Texas. 2017 who will be taking a PG. I think that should be a new low, unc taking an effective 8th grader....

I think this is a 2016 reclassifying to 2017??? can anyone confirm?

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #51403 01/14/14 11:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh, God, no!!!!! Now 8th graders are taking 2017 spots away from the precious Long Island boys! Be happy you have good delis and pizza...oh yeah, and Jones Beach

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51424 01/14/14 03:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh, God, no!!!!! Now 8th graders are taking 2017 spots away from the precious Long Island boys! Be happy you have good delis and pizza...oh yeah, and Jones Beach

Uhh that would be a 10th grader... 2016 DOWN to 2017 is a 10th going to 9th. I'll agree on the Deli's pizza and beach though.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51473 01/15/14 01:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting, is this how they do it in Texas for football.

Start Kindergarten late so a 2016 becomes 2017 (but in texas the start date is Sept 1 so late is a relative term), then reclassify in 8th grade so that the original 2016 is no longer a 2017 and now becomes a 2018. Do a PG year on top of that and truly become a 2019.

Someone who should have graduated from college 2020, instead graduates 2023.

Crazy huh.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #51484 01/15/14 03:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe you should have been a "Hold Back " to get your grades up, then you would have understood it's a 2016 doing a PG to re-classify as a 2017.What will happen when all the LI parents start holding back to game the system? what will the Md parents do? hold back 2 years? 3 years?

Like Reply Quote
VaLaxDad #122222 06/23/15 11:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
USL is reluctant to take a stand. The USL could do it in a minute if they wanted to. A calendar cut-off works in hockey universally. Why wouldn't it work in lacrosse?

It is "the haves($$)" vs. the have-nots. The haves ($$) get the early advantage, but the have-nots do catch-up by sophomore/junior year of high school. In Greenwich, CT, an undisputed hot-bed of talent, the public school kids play on the "B" youth teams, and the private school kids play on the "A" youth teams simply due to the size/maturity advantage of the extra year. Yet, by sophomore/junior year of high school, it all evens out. The only folks kidding themselves here are the parents and the D1 coaches making bad choice.

Like Reply Quote
Page 4 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 6 55 56
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard