BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26
Re: Age and Reclassification. The good the bad the ugly!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My kid is in 2nd grade but birthday is May. I want to hold him back. He has great stick skills so when held back he will be even more dominate.

Can someone give me advice on the best way to hold him back? What grade?do I have to send him to pvt school? Thanks for the help!
Our advice would be to seriously review the criteria you are using to decide your child's future.

If that doesn't convince you holding back a second grader is wrong, why not put it all on your son? Encourage him to cut class, fail exams, become socially inept, and perhaps even have some behavioral issues with the teacher - and principal. That should do the trick.

Second, please learn the difference between dominate (a verb) and dominant (an adjective)? If you want to be snarky in a post, you have to at least make the effort to use the language properly.

Sometimes, I really wonder whether folks are visiting Colorado and then coming back on an overnight flight with some of these posts.

Sage strikes early!
at least he could try and bring some back from Colorado and let his kid take it to school...that ought to do the trick...a year in Juvie is kinda like a PG but early, no?
:-)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Justify all you want. However you justify it, it all comes down to the same thing. People are trying to help their children. They want to give their child an advantage that will help them in some way.

it is all the same, kindergarden holdback, 9th grade reclass, PG year at prep and non medical redshirt in college.

It is all done to help the kid gain an advantage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That may be true that he should be in 8th grade but unlike lacrosse when it comes to tournament play he has to play with kids that were born his same year. Wish US Lacrosse would adopt the same system. I believe that a large percentage of the NHL have birthdays in the first three months of their birth year.

That's because age matters... It's all about physical maturity and development. Why else would all these sleaze bag parents do this? For academics? No, to gain an unfair advantage, period!

That is ridiculous. The number of kids that do not start kindergarten or repeat kindergarten are doing so because they are not ready emotionally, academically, physically or socially. The percentage of parents that are thinking about their kid being a D1 player some day are very small. Most parents spend many nights worrying about their kid not being on par with their peers, and you are going to say they are cheaters? The few that do think that holding their kid back at kindergarten for athletics will have other issues down the road, but like others have said- most sports require player passes with birth dates- so if they want to play hockey or baseball or another sport- they will play with their correct age. It would be smart for US Lacrosse to follow in their lead, but clearly there is a huge difference in someone repeating kindergarten or starting a year late, as opposed to parents holding their kid back in 8th or 9th grade.

Don't be so surprised how big the number of kinder holdbacks is for more than emotional, academic or physical reasons. They know what they are doing. Academically, If you are lucky enough to be in a town with an accelerated program how many of them are the kinder hold backs. An overwhelming majority. Why?because their parents held hem back not for sport but to gain another advantage, an academic year advantage over a new set of younger peers. Sports or academics doesn't matter still Gaming the system.

I wonder how many of the accelerated programs in the LI schools are made up of the "older" student body for the grade. And how many are made up of the younger "sept -dec".

In one of my child's grade, over 60% of the students in the ap program have a prior years birth year. 30% are grade birth year jan/mar and 4 (yes 4) are kids with June through Dec birth years correct for the grade.

So why are the 60% in the wrong year, simply because the parents wanted to game the system and make sure their kids were the top in their grade.

I see this in two scenarios. One, well educated wealthy families who saw their college friends do this for years and the moms didn't have to return or go to work. Two, families are doing it with their second or third child. Who after seeing it first hand in their other older children's classes figured why shouldn't I too.

Argue all you want. One side says I'm doing it to further my family and put them in the best situation I can. Why is that so wrong? The other side says by doing what you do you have put my family at a disadvantage. Life is more dumb luck and timing than being good at something. It is truly better to be lucky than to be good.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I wonder how many of the accelerated programs in the LI schools are made up of the "older" student body for the grade. And how many are made up of the younger "sept -dec".
I can tell you categorically that "accelerated programs" and "academic holdbacks" are diametrically (SAT Word of the Day) opposing terms. In fact, you will more often find students "playing up" in accelerated academic settings. The difference of birth month within the academic calendar year is a non-issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That may be true that he should be in 8th grade but unlike lacrosse when it comes to tournament play he has to play with kids that were born his same year. Wish US Lacrosse would adopt the same system. I believe that a large percentage of the NHL have birthdays in the first three months of their birth year.

The big difference between lacrosse and hockey is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, for hockey it is the NHL ant they base the draft on Birth year, for lacrosse it is NCAA D1 an they base recruiting on grades so it will never change - my son is a 2000 birth year 2018, I do not want him playing against 2000 birth year 2019's or 2020's because it will do nothing for him from a recruiting point of you,

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big difference between lacrosse and hockey is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, for hockey it is the NHL ant they base the draft on Birth year, for lacrosse it is NCAA D1 an they base recruiting on grades so it will never change - my son is a 2000 birth year 2018, I do not want him playing against 2000 birth year 2019's or 2020's because it will do nothing for him from a recruiting point of you,

Can someone please do a birth year comparison on the MLB draft last night? Aren't we all focused on the 1,000 mll game check?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Justify all you want. However you justify it, it all comes down to the same thing. People are trying to help their children. They want to give their child an advantage that will help them in some way.

it is all the same, kindergarden holdback, 9th grade reclass, PG year at prep and non medical redshirt in college.

It is all done to help the kid gain an advantage.

I live in the city and psycho parents here holdback too but for academic advantages. If you have a kid born after June the pvt schools won't even accept them and force you to hold back.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can tell you categorically that "accelerated programs" and "academic holdbacks" are diametrically (SAT Word of the Day) opposing terms. In fact, you will more often find students "playing up" in accelerated academic settings. The difference of birth month within the academic calendar year is a non-issue.

In my district, the good majority of students playing up academically are the students who should be a year ahead in the first place. gaming the system.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have $$ and hire private tutors and trainers for your son, and send him to he best camps and training sessions that money can buy (and few of his peers can afford), is that a form of cheating similar to holding back? Is it an unfair advantage? I know families who have bought their sons a hundred or more private sessions at 60 bucks a pop with excellent college players. Is that fair, especially to those of us who cannot afford it?

My son is a very good 8th grader, but he may "lose" a college spot to a holdback. We live in VA near DC and the first three verbals from our area for 2017 are holdbacks. It is a little annoying but, as with love and war, all is fair when it comes to your children. My two cents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there are people that can afford to pay to give their kids the best possible shot. For those people I say go have at it. those people still have their kid competing against others hi/her own age.

For other that hold their kid back for an advantage, the have crossed the line. they are cheating because they are taking advantage of other kids that are not as physically or mentally mature. We have all seen the studs that stand head and shoulders above everyone else on the field because they are a year older. Unlike, the age appropriate kid that just hit his growth spurt early...

You can all justify but in your heart of heart, you know you are cheating.

Hope you can sleep well.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have $$ and hire private tutors and trainers for your son, and send him to he best camps and training sessions that money can buy (and few of his peers can afford), is that a form of cheating similar to holding back? Is it an unfair advantage? I know families who have bought their sons a hundred or more private sessions at 60 bucks a pop with excellent college players. Is that fair, especially to those of us who cannot afford it?

My son is a very good 8th grader, but he may "lose" a college spot to a holdback. We live in VA near DC and the first three verbals from our area for 2017 are holdbacks. It is a little annoying but, as with love and war, all is fair when it comes to your children. My two cents.

Working hard, making the most of your advantages, and maximizing one's potential relative to one's peers, is admirable. Providing those advantages and encouragement is good parenting.

Holding a kid back to change his peer group to gain an advantage is gaming the system. There is very little to admire in that situation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unc just goes a commit from Texas. 2017 who will be taking a PG. I think that should be a new low, unc taking an effective 8th grader....

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Well said VA Lax dad. I have read all of your post. We are on the same page with all of this nonsense . I just wish US Lacrosse would do something about it. Thanks Again. Long Island Lax Dad
BOTC has actually e-mailed our contacts here on Long Island and we have asked that this thread be passed along to our US Lacrosse peers as a lesson in what is really happening on the ground. Would it surprise you to hear that the Long Island organization responded within five minutes ... and the US Lacrosse organization ... well, let's just say we hope that they opened the e-mail.

Very impressive CS. Thank you for reaching out to USL. I registered my son today on a website requiring USL membership. This notice popped up:
Confirmation of Birthdate

If the birth date is incorrect or invalid and results in your child being assigned to an incorrect age group, the US Lacrosse membership for your child and all benefits that accompany membership, including supplemental accident insurance coverage and the ability to play at events that require US Lacrosse membership, may be voided and/or terminated.
Please confirm the birthdate enter is correct. Y/N

This seems like a positive first step. Hopefully they will continue to refine the process

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No silly. The 2017 from Texas is really a 2016 who will reclass as a 2017 when he does his pg year. He is currently a sophomore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unc just goes a commit from Texas. 2017 who will be taking a PG. I think that should be a new low, unc taking an effective 8th grader....

I think this is a 2016 reclassifying to 2017??? can anyone confirm?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh, God, no!!!!! Now 8th graders are taking 2017 spots away from the precious Long Island boys! Be happy you have good delis and pizza...oh yeah, and Jones Beach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh, God, no!!!!! Now 8th graders are taking 2017 spots away from the precious Long Island boys! Be happy you have good delis and pizza...oh yeah, and Jones Beach

Uhh that would be a 10th grader... 2016 DOWN to 2017 is a 10th going to 9th. I'll agree on the Deli's pizza and beach though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting, is this how they do it in Texas for football.

Start Kindergarten late so a 2016 becomes 2017 (but in texas the start date is Sept 1 so late is a relative term), then reclassify in 8th grade so that the original 2016 is no longer a 2017 and now becomes a 2018. Do a PG year on top of that and truly become a 2019.

Someone who should have graduated from college 2020, instead graduates 2023.

Crazy huh.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe you should have been a "Hold Back " to get your grades up, then you would have understood it's a 2016 doing a PG to re-classify as a 2017.What will happen when all the LI parents start holding back to game the system? what will the Md parents do? hold back 2 years? 3 years?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
USL is reluctant to take a stand. The USL could do it in a minute if they wanted to. A calendar cut-off works in hockey universally. Why wouldn't it work in lacrosse?

It is "the haves($$)" vs. the have-nots. The haves ($$) get the early advantage, but the have-nots do catch-up by sophomore/junior year of high school. In Greenwich, CT, an undisputed hot-bed of talent, the public school kids play on the "B" youth teams, and the private school kids play on the "A" youth teams simply due to the size/maturity advantage of the extra year. Yet, by sophomore/junior year of high school, it all evens out. The only folks kidding themselves here are the parents and the D1 coaches making bad choice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I read Outliers too. Malcolm Gladwell's fact on the NHL stats were contrived. Trust me, the birth months are random. It all evens out. Good athletes will rise to the top of the pack.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I read Outliers too. Malcolm Gladwell's fact on the NHL stats were contrived. Trust me, the birth months are random. It all evens out. Good athletes will rise to the top of the pack.

Have you been to or heard any of his recent forums. Gladwell asserts some of his findings are being screwed due to the obvious fact that once a larger population takes advantage of a situation... it no longer becomes an advantage (in the future and sort of becomes the norm and no longer a benefit)... and for those that are not able to take the advantage it now becomes a significant disadvantage... for those who are not able!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have an idea - why don't we all rally to remove any kid that's better than ours because of cheating!!! Yeah, like those kids bigger and stronger and faster than ours because they had good training and that's not fair. Hey, while we're at it lets get rid of the two handed players because they are ambidextrious and THAT'S not fair. And finally, get rid of all the brainiacs because they all have the best tutors and isn't that cheating, too!

This is a ridiculous post. No one is suggesting any of this. Just suggesting age based.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
USL is reluctant to take a stand. The USL could do it in a minute if they wanted to. A calendar cut-off works in hockey universally. Why wouldn't it work in lacrosse?

it works in hockey because the golden ring in hockey is the NHL draft that is also birth date based, in lacrosse the golden ring is a spot on a college team and that is, was and always will be grade based. Also in hockey you have most kids playing Junior trying to get to the NHL once they realize that is not happening they go to college usually as 20 year old freshman much like a lax player that re-classifies and PG's.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have an idea - why don't we all rally to remove any kid that's better than ours because of cheating!!! Yeah, like those kids bigger and stronger and faster than ours because they had good training and that's not fair. Hey, while we're at it lets get rid of the two handed players because they are ambidextrious and THAT'S not fair. And finally, get rid of all the brainiacs because they all have the best tutors and isn't that cheating, too!

This is a ridiculous post. No one is suggesting any of this. Just suggesting age based.

Yes, that's what reclass parents say to try to justify their cheating ways!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont care if kids are reclassified. My son has been playing up his whole career. In fact he got his offer because he went to a school camp and played up as a 7th grader against Varsity. He is actually small for his age. The reality is in college you have to play against older bigger faster stronger kids. Get used to it now and you will be much better off for the experience. In the meantime do lots of wall ball. The wall doesnt know your age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont care if kids are reclassified. My son has been playing up his whole career. In fact he got his offer because he went to a school camp and played up as a 7th grader against Varsity. He is actually small for his age. The reality is in college you have to play against older bigger faster stronger kids. Get used to it now and you will be much better off for the experience. In the meantime do lots of wall ball. The wall doesnt know your age.

I think you missed the point!

I too was in a similar situation as you and your son; my son played up from 2nd grade up (and I am not talking a late birthday). I was comfortable moving him up because he was a piece on a team of older boys. Just as your son was playing against older boys he was also playing with older boys. You are only as good as you surround yourself with.

Now I highly doubt you would have played your son up with a full team of other boys on his age. That is the issue. Many of us can state our sons played up but not many can boast they did it with a complete team playing up (sans Turtles and Crush don't need to hear age bickering there).

Also knowing what you are up against is good sportsmanship policy. Choosing to play up verses having to play a team on your schedule (who is supposed to be on age and isn't) is two different things.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you hold your kid back in school for freakin lacrosse they should take your kid away from you. If your child has a change of mind about the sport or has a serious injury or after all your efforts just isn't that good you will look back at your ludicrous decision and say what the [lacrosse] was I thinking?

You are the nuts I watch on HBO's documentary "State Of Play" which is about crazy sport parents and their kid's who hate them.

Do any of you hold back parents know the names of your kid's teachers? Or when their next test is? Or what they got on the last one? Probably not, but you have the lax coaches cell phone number and you can recite your kids stats faster then you can say your phone number. Sad...

Good players will play in college no need for hold backs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your son, as a 7th grader, played against varsity players and earned a scholarship offer, than he is/was one of the top 1% players in the world at his age. You can not take the experiences of a kid this athletic and talented and use it as a guide for all kids in general. It would be like a lottery winner advocating that buying lottery tickets is a sound investment simply because it worked for him.

The large majority of youth players, even including many that play on high level travel teams, will not be able to compete adequately against older players, and as such, will not develop and not have fun.

Moreover, as someone else has said, there is a big difference between choosing to have your son play against older kids (because he is uniquely athletic and talented) vs having it forced upon someone who signed their kid up for a 2020 team, drove him 200 miles to a tournament, only to see him walk onto a field opposite a group of 15 year olds.

And please stop with the wall ball. Yes, tons of wall ball will make you a better player, but it will not affect a boy's inherent speed, athleticism, quickness and strength. For 99% of 7th graders, all the wall ball in the world will not make them competitive against varsity players. For most of them, tons of wall ball is necessary to simply make them competitive against elite kids their own age.

As for the analogy to college, the last I checked, no one is playing college until they are 18 (some may be 17 when they start college but they all should be at least 18 by the time the real games start). At this age, these individuals are essentially men, and can compete with 20 year olds. Telling a 12 or 13 year old to suck it up and play against older kids because they will have to play 20 year olds when they are 18 is just plain silly.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your son, as a 7th grader, played against varsity players and earned a scholarship offer, than he is/was one of the top 1% players in the world at his age. You can not take the experiences of a kid this athletic and talented and use it as a guide for all kids in general. It would be like a lottery winner advocating that buying lottery tickets is a sound investment simply because it worked for him.

The large majority of youth players, even including many that play on high level travel teams, will not be able to compete adequately against older players, and as such, will not develop and not have fun.

Moreover, as someone else has said, there is a big difference between choosing to have your son play against older kids (because he is uniquely athletic and talented) vs having it forced upon someone who signed their kid up for a 2020 team, drove him 200 miles to a tournament, only to see him walk onto a field opposite a group of 15 year olds.

And please stop with the wall ball. Yes, tons of wall ball will make you a better player, but it will not affect a boy's inherent speed, athleticism, quickness and strength. For 99% of 7th graders, all the wall ball in the world will not make them competitive against varsity players. For most of them, tons of wall ball is necessary to simply make them competitive against elite kids their own age.

As for the analogy to college, the last I checked, no one is playing college until they are 18 (some may be 17 when they start college but they all should be at least 18 by the time the real games start). At this age, these individuals are essentially men, and can compete with 20 year olds. Telling a 12 or 13 year old to suck it up and play against older kids because they will have to play 20 year olds when they are 18 is just plain silly.

Thank you well said

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I call bull on this one. 7th grader who is small for his age against what varsity players?? Where was it that he was so good or the varsity players were so bad that he stood out enough to get an "OFFER" Because that is all it is an "OFFER". This kid has 5 more seasons of HS ball and if he does not grow or get better or have the grades that "OFFER" can easily go away. In addition 5 years is a long time I hope the coach is still there

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you well said

Oh please. How many guys get drafted in the NFL that termed 'developmental" and need to put mass on. Another year or two of getting bigger is a bonus. Often in the NFL teams are leery of a guy who dleayed college and comes out at 23 or 24 because he peaked. Holding back is a clear advantage and the only ones who claim its fair is the ones who do it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The mere fact that your 7th grade son has a "career" spells volumes about you as a parent. Must be a blast in your house. Read about a guy by the name of Todd Marinovich and his "career" very eye opening.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The mere fact that your 7th grade son has a "career" spells volumes about you as a parent. Must be a blast in your house. Read about a guy by the name of Todd Marinovich and his "career" very eye opening.
why all the hate?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Comparing college football to lacrosse, seriously? One has 100,000 people watching games on any given Saturday and one has 100 people in the stands. One has the potential for players to make 20+million a year in a league and one has a league that pays $200 per game. So if you want to argue holdback at least their MIGHT again MIGHT be a chance at a monster payout in football.

If you are holding your kid back with hopes of a 50% athletic offer your are misguided.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree, also its almost never 50 percent. Its maybe 25 percent. Also rhe 100 people in the stands are mostly kids parents. Holding a kid back to play lacrosse. I don't get it. Then everytime your kid plays well, it sits in the back of your head, my son did well, but he is a yr older than everyone else. You can say you don't think about it, you can act like you don't think about it. But you do think about it. Its a legal thing to do, but it isn't the rite thing to do and everyone knows it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree, also its almost never 50 percent. Its maybe 25 percent. Also rhe 100 people in the stands are mostly kids parents. Holding a kid back to play lacrosse. I don't get it. Then everytime your kid plays well, it sits in the back of your head, my son did well, but he is a yr older than everyone else. You can say you don't think about it, you can act like you don't think about it. But you do think about it. Its a legal thing to do, but it isn't the rite thing to do and everyone knows it.

A true stud (of course all holdbacks are studs lol) can get +50% but that is probably less than 1% of the kids. You are right, most GOOD players are fighting for that 15-30% offer.

What's a joke is the parents that are holding kids back, paying $5,000+ a year on summer lax, camps, clinics and travel expenses are usually still only getting .25% SO WHATS THE POINT???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parents that do that, travel , camp, clinics etc. There is nothing wrong with that. I do that too. I'm not looking at it, to make money or I should say save money on school one day. I do the same thing for my other son with baseball. I'm giving my kids all the opportunitys to do well, and they are having fun which is most important. However to make a kid repeat a grade, to play lax. Thats crazy. Kids graduating high school at 20. Unreal what people do to get an edge.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think you need to do a little more research. A four year college degree at a school that is not SUNY will cost $120,000 on average. You don't need to be a stud to get a 50% scholarship. My brother plays at a D2 school, was one of the better players on a not so good HS team, and pays $0 for his college education. He started playing travel lax in 5th grade, so that's 7 years of fees and showcases, so figure about $20,000. I would say that's a pretty good return on investment.

Now he also has a head on his shoulders and does well in school, so if you are one of the crazies who preaches lax all day all night, and your kid can't spell "cat", odds are you won't be getting that scholarship...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think you need to do a little more research. A four year college degree at a school that is not SUNY will cost $120,000 on average. You don't need to be a stud to get a 50% scholarship. My brother plays at a D2 school, was one of the better players on a not so good HS team, and pays $0 for his college education. He started playing travel lax in 5th grade, so that's 7 years of fees and showcases, so figure about $20,000. I would say that's a pretty good return on investment.

Now he also has a head on his shoulders and does well in school, so if you are one of the crazies who preaches lax all day all night, and your kid can't spell "cat", odds are you won't be getting that scholarship...

Here's some research for you...12.6 d1 or 10.8 d2 available men's scholarships for rosters of 40 or more kids. There are 59 d1 programs, 47 d2 that's 1251 scholarships a year if all programs use their allotment (and many don't because they aren't fully funded).

So if you just averaged it out, most will get .25-.35 and even more will get ZERO vs a full ride

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 26 1 2 3 4 25 26
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard