BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
Re: Girls Spring 2013 High School Varsity Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it that some High School coaches don't think that the Acedemic All American is an important as the player does..

How do you go about asking the coach especially when a child has proven her/himself not only on the field but in the classroom with a consistant unweighted GPA of 98 or higher and in all honors classes. I see many high schools give to the well deserved players but I also see some high schools with none. I know for a fact that there are at least 10 girls on my high school team that had a 95 or higher GPA.

any suggestions?????

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Offense wins games but Defense wins championships!!!! They too should be honored

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why is it that some High School coaches don't think that the Acedemic All American is an important as the player does..

How do you go about asking the coach especially when a child has proven her/himself not only on the field but in the classroom with a consistant unweighted GPA of 98 or higher and in all honors classes. I see many high schools give to the well deserved players but I also see some high schools with none. I know for a fact that there are at least 10 girls on my high school team that had a 95 or higher GPA.

any suggestions?????
The honest response is that many High School coaches do not understand what they are seeing when it comes to the Academic All American list. If you were a poor student, never walked the honors/AP/IB path, and never academically excelled, how would you know how to recognize that skill set? Think about it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How are the academic all Americans selected? Is there a committee or is a straight nomination by the school?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Offense wins games but Defense wins championships!!!! They too should be honored

You are right, but if you look at most of the teams, the best defenders on the teams are usually the middies. That is because they are usually the best athletes that can run, play D and still have the skill set to play offense. So it is really hard to recognize the best pure defenders on the team before those middies. I am not saying there are not exceptions ie. Parragallo (Hauppaugue) last year and Toucher(ESM) this year, but they are few and far between. Most HS teams can't afford to have their best player(s) only play defense! If you look at the way the colleges recruit you would realize this to be true. They will recruit middy's and attackers first (sometimes exclusively) and they convert the middies to defenders.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

any suggestions?????
The honest response is that many High School coaches do not understand what they are seeing when it comes to the Academic All American list. If you were a poor student, never walked the honors/AP/IB path, and never academically excelled, how would you know how to recognize that skill set? Think about it.

Sounds like Longwood and it's former coach.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Newsday's All-Long Island Girls Lacrosse Team

MAGGIE BILL, Long Island Player of the Year
St. Anthony's, Midfielder, Sr.
Bill led St. Anthony's to a No. 2 national ranking. A three-time All-American, she had 83 points, 77 draw controls, 71 ground balls and 52 caused turnovers as the Friars captured a sixth consecutive CHSAA Class AA title. The two-sport superstar will play lacrosse and soccer at University of North Carolina. Both teams are defending national champions, by the way.

NADINE HADNAGY, Nassau Player of the Year
Farmingdale, Midfielder, Sr.
Hadnagy, headed to Maryland, combined stellar defense with 88 points and clutch play. She scored the winner in the L.I. final and racked up 12 points in the state tournament. Her three goals, two assists and four forced turnovers in the state final secured tournament MVP honors and Farmingdale's first Class A state crown since 2010.

CAROLINE FITZGERALD, Suffolk Player of the Year
Mount Sinai, Midfielder, Sr.
She earned All-America honors three times, and it wasn't for posting gaudy stats. The midfielder had 45 points but did enough little things, and did them so well, she stood out in each game. Nicknamed "The Mailman" by Mustangs coach Al Bertolone, Fitzgerald delivered even in the heavy rain at the state tournament for the program's first state championship.

LINDA MARIE ATTANASIO
Garden City, Defender, Sr.

KIM COUGHLAN
St. Anthony's, Defender, Sr.

CYNTHIA DEL CORE
Bay Shore, Midfielder, Sr.

CORTNEY FORTUNATO
Northport, Midfielder/Attack, Sr.

JULIA GLYNN
Manhasset, Midfielder, Jr.

COLLEEN LOVETT
Wantagh, Attack, Sr.

EMILY MARKHAM
Manhasset, Defender, Sr.

KAITLYN MONTALBANO
St. John the Baptist, Midfielder, Jr.

COURTNEY MURPHY
Floyd, Midfielder, Sr.

RACHAEL RAMIREZ
Lindenhurst, Goalie, Sr.

REBECCA TOOKER
Eastport-South Manor, Defender, Jr.

AL BERTOLONE, Suffolk Coach of the Year
Mount Sinai

TRACY WIENER, Nassau Coach of the Year
Farmingdale

SHARI CAMPBELL, Nassau Coach of the Year
Farmingdale

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Im just curious. In football; there is a division for developing teams. Why isn't the same being done in lacrosse? I truly feel for the situation at Copaigue. And it appears that nothing is being done as teams seem to taste blood with the mention of Copaigue.

It is done in Nassau County for Girls Lax. 4 Divisions based on strengh of the program and not school size. Look at the scores from Nassau and you will see competitive games throughout.

But they refuse to do that in Suffolk. My daughters team plays Copaigue this week. And they are saying: "let's score 30 on them." The coach also told the team: " this is the game that your families should attend." Seriously???? How about against Hauppauge or one of the better teams in the league? Copaigue may lack talent; but heart and desire are indeed present. It is indeed a shame when a coach will condone such unsportsmanlike behavior.

Randall Grossman.....the coach of Longwood is attributed to the above mentioned quote...but his team went 4-12.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Im just curious. In football; there is a division for developing teams. Why isn't the same being done in lacrosse? I truly feel for the situation at Copaigue. And it appears that nothing is being done as teams seem to taste blood with the mention of Copaigue.

It is done in Nassau County for Girls Lax. 4 Divisions based on strengh of the program and not school size. Look at the scores from Nassau and you will see competitive games throughout.

But they refuse to do that in Suffolk. My daughters team plays Copaigue this week. And they are saying: "let's score 30 on them." The coach also told the team: " this is the game that your families should attend." Seriously???? How about against Hauppauge or one of the better teams in the league? Copaigue may lack talent; but heart and desire are indeed present. It is indeed a shame when a coach will condone such unsportsmanlike behavior.

Board Moderator
Back of THE CAGE

Posts: 7208 BOTC has been contacted by one of the larger girls town clubs on Long Island that wants to reach out to the Copiague Club. If any readers have contact information for the Copiague Club, please pass that along to us here on the Board or at our e-mail address : cagesage@backofthecage.com. Thank you to the Community!

Dear Copiague Youth Girls Lacrosse Club,

I am the Director for a local girls youth lacrosse program and would like to reach out to someone involved in the Copiague youth girls program. Does anyone have a contact for me?

Randall Grossman.....the coach of Longwood is attributed to the above mentioned quote...but his team went 4-12.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Icnorrect - the offer did not come from Longwood, but one of Long Island's highly respected programs looking to offer help to the youth club.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Incorrect - the offer did not come from Longwood, but one of Long Island's highly respected programs looking to offer help to the youth club.

Does anyone have a contact for any director , coach , or parent that has anything to do with the Copaigue girls program? I am the director of a large program in Suffolk and would like to help them with there program. With all of the talk on this thread last Spring I expected to have heard back from someone. I hope to get in touch with someone soon so things can be worked on before the Spring rolls around.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Incorrect - the offer did not come from Longwood, but one of Long Island's highly respected programs looking to offer help to the youth club.

Does anyone have a contact for any director , coach , or parent that has anything to do with the Copaigue girls program? I am the director of a large program in Suffolk and would like to help them with there program. With all of the talk on this thread last Spring I expected to have heard back from someone. I hope to get in touch with someone soon so things can be worked on before the Spring rolls around.

Which town are you from,if you are so anxious to help I am sure your town could use your help.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Which town are you from,if you are so anxious to help I am sure your town could use your help.

Your comment is terribly misplaced. The organization and particular individual offering help have built a very successful training infrastructure for their home town club.

The club offering help is a kingpin organization from Suffolk County and a very senior member of that club wanted to extend a hand from their program to Copiague's Youth Program for training. BOTC has personally spoken with the organization behind this offer and we are surprised that no one from the Copiague program has reached out to us.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your comment is terribly misplaced. The organization and particular individual offering help have built a very successful training infrastructure for their home town club.

The club offering help is a kingpin organization from Suffolk County and a very senior member of that club wanted to extend a hand from their program to Copiague's Youth Program for training. BOTC has personally spoken with the organization behind this offer and we are surprised that no one from the Copiague program has reached out to us.

I am sorry if you feel my comment is misplaced. But it can only be misplaced if we know the town/org willing to help?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I am sorry if you feel my comment is misplaced. But it can only be misplaced if we know the town/org willing to help?
That's fair. We have access to that information and the club offering the help has specifically asked us to keep their name on the "down low".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excuse my ignorance I am relatively new to the lacrosse world,I am just looking for a little clarification on recruiting do D1 schools give both academic and athletic monies to a potential recruit?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's fair. We have access to that information and the club offering the help has specifically asked us to keep their name on the "down low".

I understand wanting to keep anonymity but that is also what I feared. I truly wished the HS programs would dedicate some time to help their youth organizations. How special would it be for a youth player to learn from her towns Varsity players.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

I understand wanting to keep anonymity but that is also what I feared. I truly wished the HS programs would dedicate some time to help their youth organizations. How special would it be for a youth player to learn from her towns Varsity players.
Remember that in this case, we have a very successful girls High School and Club Program (Town A) wanting to help a struggling Copiague (Town B) program. This initiative might involve both club coaching, high school player participation and much more. Again, unless we hear from someone in Copiague (yes, attempts have been made to contact the athletic director), this offer will result in nothing new.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Excuse my ignorance I am relatively new to the lacrosse world,I am just looking for a little clarification on recruiting do D1 schools give both academic and athletic monies to a potential recruit?
Please do spend some time on the BOTC College Forum (just scroll down after clicking Forum List in the Ribbon Bar above). There is a great deal of information there and along at our sister site, Back of the Net. Much of the information is neither lacrosse (or soccer) specific - we hope that you avail yourself of that free service.

As for NCAA Division I monies, the answer to your question is "it depends". Ivy League schools do not offer academic scholarships. Patriot League schools (including Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette and American for example) have started introducing athletic money in addition to their academic offers. Other schools such as Boston College which are "need blind" in the admissions process offer aid through their financial aid programs.

There are NCAA Division I programs which offer academic scholarships, athletic awards, both and neither.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please do spend some time on the BOTC College Forum (just scroll down after clicking Forum List in the Ribbon Bar above). There is a great deal of information there and along at our sister site, Back of the Net. Much of the information is neither lacrosse (or soccer) specific - we hope that you avail yourself of that free service.

As for NCAA Division I monies, the answer to your question is "it depends". Ivy League schools do not offer academic scholarships. Patriot League schools (including Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette and American for example) have started introducing athletic money in addition to their academic offers. Other schools such as Boston College which are "need blind" in the admissions process offer aid through their financial aid programs.

There are NCAA Division I programs which offer academic scholarships, athletic awards, both and neither.

Thank you Cage much appreciated! it's very overwhelming process

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am the town Director of girls youth lacrosse program that is offering the support. If you have a contact for the Copaigue youth organization please send it to CageSage in a private message so he can get it to me. I requested this be anonymous because I wanted to get all of the grunt work done without any distractions from the peanut gallery. Trust me this is legit

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Remember that in this case, we have a very successful girls High School and Club Program (Town A) wanting to help a struggling Copiague (Town B) program. This initiative might involve both club coaching, high school player participation and much more. Again, unless we hear from someone in Copiague (yes, attempts have been made to contact the athletic director), this offer will result in nothing new.

The offer is still on the table......I guess Copaigue really doesn't want any help!?!?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
The offer is still on the table......I guess Copaigue really doesn't want any help!?!?
The only final suggestion that BOTC can offer is to contact the athletics department at the High School and find out what contacts they might have with any boys or girls in-town developmental programs. Unfortunately, it appears that calling out for contact information here has become a dead end.

Like Reply Quote
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard