BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 91 of 220 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not sure if 2 2021's on the YJ 2020 team should really be considered a mixed age team......and not all YJ's parents felt good about the lopsided scores.
there were 4 2021 players, my daughter was one of them. I thought the coach did a great job balancing playing time. All of the guest 2021 players were treated great and played plenty in every game. The players and parents could not have been more welcoming to us as guests on their team. I have seen nothing but class from CR and YJ in my first year with the program.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there were 4 2021 players, my daughter was one of them. I thought the coach did a great job balancing playing time. All of the guest 2021 players were treated great and played plenty in every game. The players and parents could not have been more welcoming to us as guests on their team. I have seen nothing but class from CR and YJ in my first year with the program.

??????????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is funny that you say that. When we were looking at teams for my daughter this year we had heard about this issue with the parents/coaches and had actually seen some of it first hand at a tournament last year. When we thought about having her tryout for TG she herself (an 11 year old) said she didnt want to go because of the feeling she got from them last year. They lost to one of the teams and beat the other team at their Hofstra tournament and my daughter said the parents were yelling at the kids when they were losing and that the kids themselves did not display "good sportmanship" when they were losing and when they lost. While we did see some of this as well it was overly apparent to an 11 year old girl - wheich really says it all. And you are right, it all starts at the top with the people running the program, the coaches and the parents. Learning the game is important - but what is more important is what you learn around the game (teamwork, sportsmanship, unity, etc.) and these are the values you will take with you way beyond your lacrosse career which will end at age 21. The lack of all these values are clearly displayed on this website everyday by TG parents - calling out kids and coaches and teammates and complaining about the program directors and clinics, etc. There are other clubs out there that teach far more than just lacrosse and I am glad that we have found one.

As a TG parent, I am sorry you and your daughter had such a negative experience with the organization. Unfortunately, being a "good sport" can be challenging for us all and is often dependent on the circumstances.

For example, lets assume your team takes a comfortable 8-2 lead, relaxes and gives its opponent an opportunity to pull out a last minute victory. I will guarantee that the players from the losing team will have difficulty being gracious in the post-game handshake. Their parents, in turn, are likely to be disgusted by the deterioration of their daughters' level of play.

In the ideal world, players and parents alike would take a step back and congratulate the opponent for their effort / resilience. In the real world, emotions tend to dictate behavior, which can sometimes get ugly, especially if its the players/parents first experience in "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

Learning "how to lose gracefully" is not easy.

I guarantee that whatever club you have chosen, there will be parents whose actions make you roll your eyes. While far from perfect, our TG experience has been overwhelmingly positive for both daughter and parent alike. I hope your experience with your new club is just as good.

I am most sorry to hear that it is "challenging" for your 11 year old daughter and for you as a parent setting an example for your 11 year old daughter - to be a "good sport". As great as that challenge may be for you and the TG girls and parents - it may be something you should focus on overcoming regardless of the score of the game. People will learn more about YOU and YOUR child when they see how you act and behave when you you lose or are losing than how you act when you are winning and this will hold true for their entire life. Just a thought.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I grew up on Long Island in a town that lived and breathed Lacrosse and I began playing at a very early age. I played year round, every chance I could. Fall ball “out east”, winters indoors with the PAL and Box Lacrosse in Nassau, summer camps upstate and Maryland, Empire Games (Go Long Island), weekend pickup games at the high school and the handball courts, which in my town never saw a game of handball because the LAX players commandeered them. The list goes on and on…
I toted my stick with me everywhere I went as if it was an extension of my hands. The walls of my bedroom were filled with lacrosse posters of the greats of my time and covering my door was, what other than, the infamous Air Gait image that cost most every attackman of my generation to be reprimanded by Coach, at least once, for attempting to replicate. Some of my greatest childhood memories and greatest friends were and are a direct result of my love for the sport.
So, where am I going with this you ask? Back then Lacrosse wasn’t just a sport it was a culture, much as it is today. But, I believe it was a different culture. I believe it was a community, an extended family of sorts. I loved the sport because I enjoyed the competition, win or lose. I valued the comradery I shared with other players and enthusiasts, regardless of what town they came from, team they played for, or what club they belonged to. Did we have rivals? Yes, of course we did. That is what makes the game exciting and what makes us strive to play better. The difference was that we respected the competition and when the game was over we genuinely shook hands and more times than not, shared a wall, a pickup game, or a summer camp within the weeks to come. Lacrosse was a community of ladies and gentleman. A community built on mutual respect and a shared passion for the game. It was a community I was proud to be a part of.
Now, years after I’ve hung up my college jersey, my children are into LAX with a passion much akin to mine. Although the game hasn’t changed, the community has and it is heartbreaking to see a something I once loved in the state it is in today. Name calling, finger pointing, club / team bashing, snide and underhanded remarks… AND about children and youth programs! For the adults who feel the need to post negative comments about groups of children should be ashamed of yourselves! You are destroying the community I once loved and I urge you to take the high road so our children can enjoy the game without the drama and love LAX for what it is.
As I am almost certain that someone will have something negative to say in response to my post, I will advise you in advance that I will not retort, as this will be the last time I visit BOTC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I completely agree and can identify with you. So nice to read your post

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shannon is good coach.. goes down hill after shannon.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This poster needs to refer to the above post on the state of our game and the maturity of today's adults.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get a life. Loser.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get a life. Loser.

Don't stoop so low as to make yourself seem immature in your responses.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You obviously just showed everyone that you don't know what you're talking about, so just enjoy lacrosse, and keep quiet.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I grew up on Long Island in a town that lived and breathed Lacrosse and I began playing at a very early age. I played year round, every chance I could. Fall ball “out east”, winters indoors with the PAL and Box Lacrosse in Nassau, summer camps upstate and Maryland, Empire Games (Go Long Island), weekend pickup games at the high school and the handball courts, which in my town never saw a game of handball because the LAX players commandeered them. The list goes on and on…
I toted my stick with me everywhere I went as if it was an extension of my hands. The walls of my bedroom were filled with lacrosse posters of the greats of my time and covering my door was, what other than, the infamous Air Gait image that cost most every attackman of my generation to be reprimanded by Coach, at least once, for attempting to replicate. Some of my greatest childhood memories and greatest friends were and are a direct result of my love for the sport.
So, where am I going with this you ask? Back then Lacrosse wasn’t just a sport it was a culture, much as it is today. But, I believe it was a different culture. I believe it was a community, an extended family of sorts. I loved the sport because I enjoyed the competition, win or lose. I valued the comradery I shared with other players and enthusiasts, regardless of what town they came from, team they played for, or what club they belonged to. Did we have rivals? Yes, of course we did. That is what makes the game exciting and what makes us strive to play better. The difference was that we respected the competition and when the game was over we genuinely shook hands and more times than not, shared a wall, a pickup game, or a summer camp within the weeks to come. Lacrosse was a community of ladies and gentleman. A community built on mutual respect and a shared passion for the game. It was a community I was proud to be a part of.
Now, years after I’ve hung up my college jersey, my children are into LAX with a passion much akin to mine. Although the game hasn’t changed, the community has and it is heartbreaking to see a something I once loved in the state it is in today. Name calling, finger pointing, club / team bashing, snide and underhanded remarks… AND about children and youth programs! For the adults who feel the need to post negative comments about groups of children should be ashamed of yourselves! You are destroying the community I once loved and I urge you to take the high road so our children can enjoy the game without the drama and love LAX for what it is.
As I am almost certain that someone will have something negative to say in response to my post, I will advise you in advance that I will not retort, as this will be the last time I visit BOTC.
GREAT POST AGREE COMPLETELY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Come on now... you dont think boy smith and bs are good coaces. Lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yj have man rose ....tg have man smith and boy wonder

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Come on now... you dont think boy smith and bs are good coaces. Lol

you are right, they aren't good coaces, but they are not bad COACHES

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yj have man rose ....tg have man smith and boy wonder

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Might be old news because I haven't checked in a while, but the 2014 rosters are posted now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Might be old news because I haven't checked in a while, but the 2014 rosters are posted now.

Just in case, Obama was re-elected

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Some people just can't be nice

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When are we going to see the 12 days of Christmas parody like last year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree my daughter has been with the team for a few years and BS told us he wanted the purple team to be as good as the black team and we were almost there but not quite. The Top Gun family is honest , sincere and loyal and if the kids and parents give the same effort your kids will get an honest look from the recruiters and100% endorsment from the Smiths which carries a lot of weight believe me when they call on your kids behalf the college coaches listen. I cannot thank them enough for there effort in my daughters recruitment process and fair assessment of her talent. You cannot go wrong with this program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree my daughter has been with the team for a few years and BS told us he wanted the purple team to be as good as the black team and we were almost there but not quite. The Top Gun family is honest , sincere and loyal and if the kids and parents give the same effort your kids will get an honest look from the recruiters and100% endorsment from the Smiths which carries a lot of weight believe me when they call on your kids behalf the college coaches listen. I cannot thank them enough for there effort in my daughters recruitment process and fair assessment of her talent. You cannot go wrong with this program.

That's great to hear, as a parent of a player on purple. This is our 2nd year with TG, and it's been great for us, so far. What's your daughter's graduating year, and has she decided on a college yet?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We had a positive experience with the program as well. The Smith family and the TG coaches were fair and honest w/ us. We joined them late. Looking back, we should have switched over a little earlier but everything worked out well for us and we have no regrets. Good luck to you, whatever your choice, there are plenty of quality clubs for you to choose from!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I could not have said it any better. As a late comer to TG and parent of a Purple player. Smiths delivered all that was promised. My daughter Could not have had a better experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is all good to hear. My daughter is new to TGs this year as a 2021 player. The winter training so far has been done the right way and I have no complaints with the coaches or the training and my daughter has been enjoying it and making new friends. I'm hopeful for the spring/summer season and that she enjoys her time and keeps developing as a player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did they take all the 2021's that went to tryouts this year? Just asking because many programs seem to seldom cut at this age since these players have only begun to develop.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did they take all the 2021's that went to tryouts this year? Just asking because many programs seem to seldom cut at this age since these players have only begun to develop.

The rosters are posted... take a look

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No they did not. There are only 2 teams of 24 girls. There were more than that at the tryout in August.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She is on the 2015 purple and is committed to a Division 1 program. Remember its a group effort and it takes a lot of work on everyones part and the Smiths were great in every aspect. When they give the recruiting seminar I would make sure that you and your daughter attend and follow what they say. It makes all that traveling worthwile when the time comes and the recruiters are lining up on the sidelines to watch the Top Guns play. Stay committed to the program so it continues to develop and the Top Guns name is on everyones mind and it will be more than you expected.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So the club is getting new uniforms for all teams this year. Anyone know details, is this just the same pinny with the proper size numbers so they don't have to play with paper plates and magic marker taped to them. Hope it is a quality uniform, players names would be nice. It is a team sport but lets be honest, everyone is ultimately here to get noticed individually by college coaches. Most all the YJ teams have names but not all, wonder why? Anything is an improvement over the current situation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She is on the 2015 purple and is committed to a Division 1 program. Remember its a group effort and it takes a lot of work on everyones part and the Smiths were great in every aspect. When they give the recruiting seminar I would make sure that you and your daughter attend and follow what they say. It makes all that traveling worthwile when the time comes and the recruiters are lining up on the sidelines to watch the Top Guns play. Stay committed to the program so it continues to develop and the Top Guns name is on everyones mind and it will be more than you expected.

Thanks for the advice. We're doing everything they suggested at the recruiting meeting, and looking forward to the process, going forward. It's great to hear that your daughter is also on a purple team, and going D1. People talk about how the black teams will get all the attention, and all the coaches watching. We're trying to target realistic, lower level D1 teams, and hoping to get to camps and clinics, at those schools. This way, we don't have to rely solely on her getting seen at the tournaments. Did you approach it this way, or was most of your activity and success a result of the TG tournaments?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the advice. We're doing everything they suggested at the recruiting meeting, and looking forward to the process, going forward. It's great to hear that your daughter is also on a purple team, and going D1. People talk about how the black teams will get all the attention, and all the coaches watching. We're trying to target realistic, lower level D1 teams, and hoping to get to camps and clinics, at those schools. This way, we don't have to rely solely on her getting seen at the tournaments. Did you approach it this way, or was most of your activity and success a result of the TG tournaments?

I would say the best way to approach getting seen may depend on each individual player. Some athletes will look great at camps and clinics and even tryouts, but then completely disappear once the whistle blows, they would do better to display their skills during camps and clinics. Others disappear during such skill drills and combine stuff only to jump off the page during games, they would obviously best be viewed in a team game setting. One of the things these clubs shove down our throats is that all opportunities go through them, nonsense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The tournaments is where my daughter got her exposure. While at the tournaments take time to visit the colleges in the area to get a feel for her interests and the surrounding areas to see if it fits. Its the last thing the kids want to do after playing in the heat but it needs to be done its all part of the process. You will recieve a ton of clinics in emails and if your daughter is interested in that school it pays to go and play her tail off. We did one at a Division II program and it went well. The Black teams do garner a lot of attention but you will be surprised by the attention the purple teams get. Dont get discouraged and like one parent explained to me at the very least you know exactly where your daughter is for 6 weekends in the summer and that is priceless.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been reading some of these posts and I like what I'm reading. My daughter a 2015 has committed as well. I believe it's because she is a team player and she jelled with her team mates and built trust on the field. She was a constant player and someone the coach and team-mates could rely on. It didn't matter who scored as long as the ball went in. Good luck to all who are still looking and my wish to all is that all the kids find the school there looking for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone go to the stick skill session that SS ran a couple of weeks ago? Just curious how the sessions were in case they run a similar program again. Thanks for the feedback.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did anyone go to the stick skill session that SS ran a couple of weeks ago? Just curious how the sessions were in case they run a similar program again. Thanks for the feedback.

Not a big group but anytime you get personal attention from Shannon Smith its a positive. I know my girls enjoyed it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My daughter was in the older group and she really liked it. Lots if good stick skill drills and not tons of girls (although it was close to Christmas as we've been to several other clinics that were more crowded).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know what happened with the UCONN woman's lax team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This was on LAX POWER
Former UConn Lacrosse Goalie Killed 12/27 in Vehicle Accident
Brittney Testa, 24, of Bridgewater, Vt. died Friday morning in a single-vehicle accident in Willington, Ct. She apparently lost control of her Jeep Cherokee, which rolled over.

Testa was a member of the University of Connecticut's lacrosse class of 2013. She played goalie for the Huskies, starting every game in both her sophomore and junior years. Testa played high school lacrosse at Kimball Union Academy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for the info!

Like Reply Quote
Page 91 of 220 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 219 220
Quick Reply