BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 47 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 46 47
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You need to stop drinking the "Long Island" cool-aid, we, as a whole are strong and at times dominate but it is obvious from playing teams from all over the country, that we have no right to be treated "differently." In fact, we have been treated differently in the past by being allowed 2 teams but since Lacrosse is an ever growing sport and due the limited number of teams that go to Brine Nationals, it makes more sense to create one top team to dominate and prove we are dominant and not just say it.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
"Long Island doesnt have a shortage of players like other regions and should be treated a bit differently." WOW! You are really full of yourself. As for the 6th and 7th graders, this is a learning experience for them to see what they need to improve on. Past years have proven that very few of the 6th and 7th graders are selected but it was something the returning kids used knowing what is expected. I think you feel your child didn't perform well and now using the younger kids as an excuse.

He is not "full of himself" he is stating a fact and obviously has an understanding of this event, some regions can not full a roster even with 6th and 7th graders, and even with their 6th and 7th graders they still only show up with 15 players and then alternates from other areas (long Island) fill in the rosters. LI could field 3 competitive teams. As far as it being a learning experience for the 6th and 7th graders, well they learned that it can get really cold in December and that they are not big enough, strong enough and skilled enough to compete with Xtremley good eight graders - I could have taught them that for half the money

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
looks about right to me

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We advancing players are now posted on brine website
75 Middle Schoolers

73 8th grade vs. 2 7th grade

25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

Ther are 6 blanks and no other club/town has more than 1 name listed

Congratulations to the boys that actually earned their spot for Pride of Long Island and the possibility of representing Long Island at Brine. You overcame a few huge hurdles: nepotism and homerism to accomplish making this team. Good luck. For the players not chosen use it as fuel. You know you were good enough and never let someone's selfish motives defeat your dreams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about that! Some of the 2018 players chosen would have a hard time making the top 2019 teams. Earned a spot for the next round? sure... making the " A" team. Doubt it. It's about money. It will happen again next year, parents will complain, the year after that and so on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know about that! Some of the 2018 players chosen would have a hard time making the top 2019 teams. Earned a spot for the next round? sure... making the " A" team. Doubt it. It's about money. It will happen again next year, parents will complain, the year after that and so on.

That's why I emphasized earned and overcame homerism and nepotism. Never would I have evaluators who's children were trying out for team they were evaluating.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry about that! Kudos! You nailed it right on the head

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You need to stop drinking the "Long Island" cool-aid, we, as a whole are strong and at times dominate but it is obvious from playing teams from all over the country, that we have no right to be treated "differently." In fact, we have been treated differently in the past by being allowed 2 teams but since Lacrosse is an ever growing sport and due the limited number of teams that go to Brine Nationals, it makes more sense to create one top team to dominate and prove we are dominant and not just say it.

"Long Island doesnt have a shortage of players like other regions and should be treated a bit differently." WOW! You are really full of yourself. As for the 6th and 7th graders, this is a learning experience for them to see what they need to improve on. Past years have proven that very few of the 6th and 7th graders are selected but it was something the returning kids used knowing what is expected. I think you feel your child didn't perform well and now using the younger kids as an excuse.

He is not "full of himself" he is stating a fact and obviously has an understanding of this event, some regions can not full a roster even with 6th and 7th graders, and even with their 6th and 7th graders they still only show up with 15 players and then alternates from other areas (long Island) fill in the rosters. LI could field 3 competitive teams. As far as it being a learning experience for the 6th and 7th graders, well they learned that it can get really cold in December and that they are not big enough, strong enough and skilled enough to compete with Xtremley good eight graders - I could have taught them that for half the money

not drinking cool-aid and not blind to what is going on in the rest of the country, I do, however, know this particular tournament and the fact that many parts of the country do not field competitive and full teams in the MS division maybe it is not as well promoted as LI but a few regions are basically walk on. so yes LI deserves special treatment because they have a large pool of talented players to choose from FOR THIS EVENT

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is just the beginning for the age group. At least this finally ends the argument that all those love thy town lax people have had of "don't do club and stick with the summer town program"... There is clearly a benefit to playing on club. Not to mention the clubs make your school kids better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is just the beginning for the age group. At least this finally ends the argument that all those love thy town lax people have had of "don't do club and stick with the summer town program"... There is clearly a benefit to playing on club. Not to mention the clubs make your school kids better.

Or if you pay 5k a year to play lacrosse all year round for right club you will get the nod for call backs to weekend event and most likely won't make team anyway?

If you think this is all about talent and their is no politics here you are living in fantasy world. Hopefully, best 25 will make final team. It will certainly include mostly club players just based on pool left!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

of the 6 without club affiliate 1 played on extreme last year and chose not to tryout this year and another made terps 2 years ago and also chose not to play. In addition I did not see an Express, fl$ or TLI evaluator yet they managed to get 35 spots.

I think that playing on a club team does not make you a top player as much as a majority of the top players play club. How the final teams are picked is obviously yet to be seen but I find it hard to believe that a top 25 player did not make the top 75 call back so after all is said and done it looks like hey got it right

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

of the 6 without club affiliate 1 played on extreme last year and chose not to tryout this year and another made terps 2 years ago and also chose not to play. In addition I did not see an Express, fl$ or TLI evaluator yet they managed to get 35 spots.

I think that playing on a club team does not make you a top player as much as a majority of the top players play club. How the final teams are picked is obviously yet to be seen but I find it hard to believe that a top 25 player did not make the top 75 call back so after all is said and done it looks like hey got it right

BS. There is a selection that is horrible. Absolutely horrible. He's a back up to a player on a travel team that wasn't selected. He didn't have the tryout of a lifetime. He's weak and the kids know it. Was awarded a spot another kid deserves. Just a joke. Would never name names because it has to do with kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

That's one way of looking at it. Here's another, if the kid was on Extreme, automatic you made it. Didn't matter how many times the kid got beat on defense or stopped on offense. Then they basically chose based off the helmet the kids were wearing. 91 helmet in, Express A or B, in. fl$ helmet, in. Did any kid not get picked who was an 8th grader wearing one of those helmets? Maybe a couple? They then added a 2 7th graders and few other kids. I guess this is why none of the evaluators were writing anything down. They just picked by name brand club. Pretty simple, easy, way to do it. What a waste of time and money with this type of garbage. Should have listened to poster that said "event is compromised, stay away". Boy was he right!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since they put the minors names, parents names school town, club affiliation on their web site why not put the DOB?

I know once they get to HS they will be playng together but I'd love to see their real ages not grade. This could put to bed the age discussion or confirm how each region matches up.

25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

BS. There is a selection that is horrible. Absolutely horrible. He's a back up to a player on a travel team that wasn't selected. He didn't have the tryout of a lifetime. He's weak and the kids know it. Was awarded a spot another kid deserves. Just a joke. Would never name names because it has to do with kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

What are you responding to here??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does anyone know how many 8th graders did not make the cut?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know what the actual numbers were for the Brine tryout? Not how many registered, how many showed up and went through tryout?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

It all depends on the selection process for the "Pride Showcase". If it is 91 biased and we have the same evaluators, It will be an uphill battle to make the team. let's say the 25 break down to 6 attack, 10 middies with one fogo, 7 poles with one LSM, and 2 Goalies.
5 attack out of 19 are from xtreme that leaves 15 kids going for 1 spot
6 poles out of 25 are from xtreme. that leaves 19 kids going for 1spot
6 middies out of 25 are from xtreme. that leaves 19 kids going for 4 spots.
1extreme goalie leaves 1 spot open for 5 kids.
This is not counting the numerous other 91 tryouts and team affiliated kids.

These extreme kids are great lacrosse players and will get the nod over someone of equal talent or even over someone marginally better. some I suspect will even get the nod over a much better player.

with SL, TR, and RC pulling the strings, know what you are getting into before you send in the $150.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

It all depends on the selection process for the "Pride Showcase". If it is 91 biased and we have the same evaluators, It will be an uphill battle to make the team. let's say the 25 break down to 6 attack, 10 middies with one fogo, 7 poles with one LSM, and 2 Goalies.

These extreme kids are great lacrosse players and will get the nod over someone of equal talent or even over someone marginally better. some I suspect will even get the nod over a much better player.

with SL, TR, and RC pulling the strings, know what you are getting into before you send in the $150.

That would be unfortunate, but I guess there is always politics. Xtreme is obviously a very good team , but there is no way that their whole team is better than all the other kids that tried out? I actually think they may be the most top heavy team out there! No question their Top 2 middies, Top defender and goalie are the cream of the crop. After that the rest of the team is in the mix with the many talented kids on the other teams. How does 91 get 25 kids, express get 20 and TLI only get 5? fl$ has more? Did the TLI kids not try out?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think people are forgetting that it was more or less the same evaluators last year, substitute JM from 91 for SL, and the majority of the kids on the LI North team were from the Express. It was something like 15 out of the 25 kids were Express kids. That team played awesome in the tournament and won the Championship going away. So they weren't biased and I guess they evaluated ok.
BTW, there was an fl$ coach there evaluating.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think people are forgetting that it was more or less the same evaluators last year, substitute JM from 91 for SL, and the majority of the kids on the LI North team were from the Express. It was something like 15 out of the 25 kids were Express kids. That team played awesome in the tournament and won the Championship going away. So they weren't biased and I guess they evaluated ok.

This is a xtreme case. last year it was the turtles. the deck will be stacked but I would believe some extreme players will not make the cut.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a Smithtown parent like the number of Smithtown school district players that made it through!Go Bulls

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As far as towns go nice showing of Smithtown school district players,that by the way represent their Town team,fl$, 91,Express, Team LI Go Bulls

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
predetermined, predetermined. Thats all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have never posted on this site, but do find it entertaining! I have older sons and a middle school age son and have been to many lacrosse events, showcases, camps, prospect camps, tournaments, etc, etc, ....I have never seen a more blatant scam like the Brine Middle School tryouts. The "evaluators" never took notes on any of the kids...the clipboards stayed under their arms and hands in pockets (yes, it was cold!) I should have listened to my older sons who told me to stay away from this event....."its a joke,....don't waste your money...unless you play for 91" Whoever it is that runs this event should be ashamed --- and investigated to see if this scam is legal.......

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Whoever it is that runs this event should be ashamed --- and investigated to see if this scam is legal.......
What is potentially illegal?

Someone hangs out a shingle, e-mails Long Island boys teams and parents to get participation, and parents flocked like lemmings. Did anyone ask prior to the tryouts, "How the evaluators were being selected or drafted?" No. Did anyone ask, "What are we getting for the tryout fee?" No. Did anyone ask, "How many players are allowed to participate given the limited field space?" No. Participants were more than happy to push their money to the organizers.

Now, you want to claim foul?

Parents bought this event without checking into the details. BOTC did not cover this event and as we have said many times, you are "on your own" in terms of quality if you do not see the event as one of our partners. If this was a BOTC event, you could be damn sure that you would have been informed on the evaluation process.

You bought it. You got burned by it. Think about it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Whoever it is that runs this event should be ashamed --- and investigated to see if this scam is legal.......

Someone hangs out a shingle, e-mails Long Island boys teams and parents to get participation, and parents flocked like lemmings. Did anyone ask prior to the tryouts, "How the evaluators were being selected or drafted?" No. Did anyone ask, "What are we getting for the tryout fee?" No. Did anyone ask, "How many players are allowed to participate given the limited field space?" No. Participants were more than happy to push their money to the organizers.

Parents bought this event without checking into the details. BOTC did not cover this event and as we have said many times, you are "on your own" in terms of quality if you do not see the event as one of our partners. If this was a BOTC event, you could be damn sure that you would have been informed on the evaluation process.

nobody got burned, some kids got cut, my son plays on a team that did not have a coach on the field as an evaluator and still made it. This event was poorly conceived and poorly executed but last I checked incompetence is not a criminal offense and I would bet money that if every 6th and 7th grade lacrosse parent on LI reads this thread they will still sell out next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard if there will be two teams like last year for 8th Grade Long Island?
Originally Posted by CageSage

nobody got burned, some kids got cut, my son plays on a team that did not have a coach on the field as an evaluator and still made it. This event was poorly conceived and poorly executed but last I checked incompetence is not a criminal offense and I would bet money that if every 6th and 7th grade lacrosse parent on LI reads this thread they will still sell out next year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They should post evaluator notes. They would never do that but it would be funny to actually see the lack of. Since numbers were given out randomly as kids walked up. How were those evaluating able to fumble through and evaluate or rank their respective position assignment. Really think about it kids are in random groups and drills were moving quick. Now you must rank a kid and watch the next group. Lets put this scenerio out one attackman has 45 the other 170 could be three pages away. Put a rank on the right line or space. Was that 145 or 154. Damm next group. Missed that great pass or goal.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Imagine that??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Imagine that??

Funny, fl$ got 10 kids in and one of their coaches was an evaluator, what are the chances?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Imagine that??

Funny, fl$ got 10 kids in and one of their coaches was an evaluator, what are the chances?

Is this a riddle?? 10 percent?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These kids have been competing against each other for years and the coaches all know who is who. Its the reason 200 kids show up (from 5 states) to the 91 tryouts Simple... make extreme or orange and you get a good look for stuff like this. Why all the shock?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
These kids have been competing against each other for years and the coaches all know who is who. Its the reason 200 kids show up (from 5 states) to the 91 tryouts Simple... make extreme or orange and you get a good look for stuff like this. Why all the shock?

No shock. Just give everyone a fair look. Believe it or not , their are very good players who have never even tried out for 91. Orange is a good team but not good enough for kids to get automatically pushed through. Same with fl$. They are decent team but 10 is big number.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No shock. Just give everyone a fair look. Believe it or not , their are very good players who have never even tried out for 91. Orange is a good team but not good enough for kids to get automatically pushed through. Same with fl$. They are decent team but 10 is big number.

Fair point. It is why I didn't even bother to bring my son. You would have to really stand out and unfortunately it is tough with the ability level on the field. It is why those going to Catholic HS play Express. Think about it...If you have two middies that look the same (both very good) you'll take the one you know. Not endorsing the process - just looking at it realistically.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fair point. It is why I didn't even bother to bring my son. You would have to really stand out and unfortunately it is tough with the ability level on the field. It is why those going to Catholic HS play Express. Think about it...If you have two middies that look the same (both very good) you'll take the one you know. Not endorsing the process - just looking at it realistically.

As stated before, easily could have gotten evaluators form local colleges not affiliated with any club. Would have at least made it a bit more even handed. Here's a little tid bit though. This event has zero early recruiting meaning. Wait till these kids start going to individual showcases and camps. The college coaches could care less what club team you're on. Some will continue to standout, and others will be exposed. Those once overlooked will shine very brightly. It's the way it works. Look at all the current 2014 commits, while Express and to a lesser degree 91 have their fair share, there are many, many others not involved with these clubs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As stated before, easily could have gotten evaluators form local colleges not affiliated with any club. Would have at least made it a bit more even handed. Here's a little tid bit though. This event has zero early recruiting meaning. Wait till these kids start going to individual showcases and camps. The college coaches could care less what club team you're on. Some will continue to standout, and others will be exposed. Those once overlooked will shine very brightly. It's the way it works. Look at all the current 2014 commits, while Express and to a lesser degree 91 have their fair share, there are many, many others not involved with these clubs.

yup! and wait until some some of these 5'4" kids stay at 5'4" and the 5' kids are 6'plus by the time they are seniors.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keep hating. There will be many who do not play club who will not as you put it "shine". These are 12 and 13 year old boys, a lot will change in the years to come so stop rooting against other children. If you and your son do not want to play for a club team then don't. Stop being a hater, focus on your own kid and stop wishing for others to fail.

BY the way, go check the 2017 and 2016 commits, check to see how many play for a club team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keep hating. There will be many who do not play club who will not as you put it "shine". These are 12 and 13 year old boys, a lot will change in the years to come so stop rooting against other children. If you and your son do not want to play for a club team then don't. Stop being a hater, focus on your own kid and stop wishing for others to fail.

BY the way, go check the 2017 and 2016 commits, check to see how many play for a club team.

Jackwagon.... Not hating on clubs. Son plays for a club. However, if you weren't on 91 past or present, Express or fl$ you basically weren't even looked at. Clearly, that was the only way you could make this team. That's just the reality. When it comes time for the showcases, no team affiliation or coach you know will make any difference. There were many other talented kids there, and had it been done in an impartial fashion the results would be a bit different. In the end, I nor my son really care. He knows how he played and against whom. None of the evaluators wrote anything down ever, even when the kids and spectators made ooh's and aah's. They stood there with their hands in their pockets and clip boards on the floor for entire sessions. It's ok, we'll have plenty of lax this summer. Good luck. Enjoy the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 - Team 91
20 - LI Express
10 - fl$
5 - Team Long Island

That would be unfortunate, but I guess there is always politics. Xtreme is obviously a very good team , but there is no way that their whole team is better than all the other kids that tried out? I actually think they may be the most top heavy team out there! No question their Top 2 middies, Top defender and goalie are the cream of the crop. After that the rest of the team is in the mix with the many talented kids on the other teams. How does 91 get 25 kids, express get 20 and TLI only get 5? fl$ has more? Did the TLI kids not try out?

I believe one of those Middies tried out for Attack yet he is listed as a middie.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3D Lacrosse does and will continue to dominate the club lacrosse arena in the years to come...period.

Page 10 of 47 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard