BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 70 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My only addition to this whole conversation would be to keep in mind that a lot can happen over 3-4 years. The kids that are "special" now, may not be so special in 3 years, whereas the kids you are writing off may just be running by your special kid. Watch out for that Karma bus, it might just run over you someday. With that said, if your son is an early commit, best of luck to him.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If a player in the 2017 class has garnered enough attention from high level D1 coaches via his current LAX skill sets to even be considered for a commit at this point; what is the problem with that?

Most of these kids are way above the curve academically and from what I've witnessed speaking to many of these elite level players; is that they consistently conduct themselves at a much higher maturity level both socially and academically than your basic 14 year old, and as such, have valuable opinions about why they are willing to commit and why they are picking certain schools at this point in their life.

Perhaps this is unfathomable to parents of kids who are not performing at these levels; yet that should not be a basis for criticism towards those who are and will likely continue to remain. We all want what is best for our children in our opinions.

It is up to the individual player; his parents and the interested coaches to come to a common conclusion as to committing at this age or not.

It is not to be decided by public committee and opinion.

If your 2017 kid is fortunate enough to be considered to be committed at this time, then congrats to him for a fine job thus far. I wish them all continued success, as I do my own son, who is also a member of this small group of very special players.

Generally agree with the sentiment but the chest-pounding (last sentence) is what is nauseating and should stop. Each on their own time frame.

Agreed! "Small group of very special players" ?? What does that make everyone else? Sickening.
Also part of the reason they "conduct themselves at a much higher maturity level both socially and academically than your basic 14 year old" is that they aren't 14 - most (not all) have been 15 or 16 who have committed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As part of the maturity, I would question if a 9th grader understands the commitment required of a student/athlete at the D1 level? I would imagine that a lot of kids are chasing the jersey that they see on TV as opposed to the parchment from the institution at the end of 4 years. This is something that each family needs to evalaute for their child. I also believe, perhaps wrongly (many opinions on this), that a talented lacrosse player will find a spot regardless of when they commit.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If a player in the 2017 class has garnered enough attention from high level D1 coaches via his current LAX skill sets to even be considered for a commit at this point; what is the problem with that?

Most of these kids are way above the curve academically and from what I've witnessed speaking to many of these elite level players; is that they consistently conduct themselves at a much higher maturity level both socially and academically than your basic 14 year old, and as such, have valuable opinions about why they are willing to commit and why they are picking certain schools at this point in their life.

Perhaps this is unfathomable to parents of kids who are not performing at these levels; yet that should not be a basis for criticism towards those who are and will likely continue to remain. We all want what is best for our children in our opinions.

It is up to the individual player; his parents and the interested coaches to come to a common conclusion as to committing at this age or not.

If your 2017 kid is fortunate enough to be considered to be committed at this time, then congrats to him for a fine job thus far. I wish them all continued success, as I do my own son, who is also a member of this small group of very special players.

Generally agree with the sentiment but the chest-pounding (last sentence) is what is nauseating and should stop. Each on their own time frame.

Agreed! "Small group of very special players" ?? What does that make everyone else? Sickening.

It means they are better than your kid....it's called life, everyone isnt the same...face facts, get in line and your time will come if it is meant to be. Be hapy for the boys who get an early look, most are deserved.

I highly doubt that, as my son is committed to a top program. I would never brag, or state that he is a member of an elite group. We appreciate the recognition, but always remain humble. As another poster said, Karma can be a [lacrosse]. If you have to brag about your kid, he porbably is not as good as you think he is!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At this point in time there are probably close to 200 2016 D-I commits. The college coaches have a "short list" of kids that they are talking with in order to fill the remaining spots that they have for that class.

They are all looking to identify the 2017's that they will recruit.

The 2016 committed players represent approximately 22 States plus the District of Columbia and Canada.

I do not think that any of the known 2017 commits are from Long Island.

The Sport is growing and College Coaches are looking near and far in order to fill their "spots".

If someone tells you that college coaches are not looking at 9th graders you run the other way.

If someone tells you to play only with your town you should run the other way.

Good luck to all

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It means they are better than your kid....it's called life, everyone isnt the same...face facts, get in line and your time will come if it is meant to be. Be hapy for the boys who get an early look, most are deserved.

As my kid may be behind, slightly, from these early commits I would still venture to guess that "better" and "life" will be defined by something greater than a 9th grade accomplishment.

I congratulate the kids, but the parents have a lot to learn.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At this point in time there are probably close to 200 2016 D-I commits. The college coaches have a "short list" of kids that they are talking with in order to fill the remaining spots that they have for that class.

The 2016 committed players represent approximately 22 States plus the District of Columbia and Canada.

The Sport is growing and College Coaches are looking near and far in order to fill their "spots".

If someone tells you that college coaches are not looking at 9th graders you run the other way.

Good luck to all

Actually 2 of 11 known/public 2017 commits are from LI and my guess is there are probably others who have committed from LI that are not public yet.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck to all

Actually 2 of 11 known/public 2017 commits are from LI and my guess is there are probably others who have committed from LI that are not public yet.

Congrats to all the early commits. No doubt Long Island will have their fair share of D1 spots. I suspect that the higest level programs (academically and lax wise) will not move forward until spring/ summer because 1)they can and 2) because they need to collect more grades as they have more strict guidelines from their respective admissions. I am certain that many first commits from these institutions will be from LI.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck to all

1 of the 11 is from LI, the other kid you are thinking of is from Westchester but plays for LI Express.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As my kid may be behind, slightly, from these early commits I would still venture to guess that "better" and "life" will be defined by something greater than a 9th grade accomplishment.

I think a lot of this has less to do with whats best for the kids but to inflate the egos of the crazy parents living through their kids. If your kid is a good player and has good grades he most certainly will find the fit that works for him.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think a lot more offers have been made but Families are keeping silent or haven't accepted?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
true that

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck to all

correctamundo, Cunningham!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good luck to all

1 of the 11 is from LI, the other kid you are thinking of is from Westchester but plays for LI Express.

+1 long islander

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone get anything about a new 3d DI showcase this summer?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One thing i have found consistent with this "small group", most of the parents just don't shut their traps about how good their kid is, it's nauseating. You can't stand near them during a game or event without the running commentary. from what I see in this group is some pretty good reclassified kids that will eventually revert back to the mean, and some kids who marketed themselves well. If any of them were true to their work about being humble they wouldn't have announced the commitment in the first place and they sure as [lacrosse] wouldn't be on this blog defending it. We all know a few of these parents on the east coast and being humble isn't in their dna

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One thing i have found consistent with this "small group", most of the parents just don't shut their traps about how good their kid is, it's nauseating. You can't stand near them during a game or event without the running commentary. from what I see in this group is some pretty good reclassified kids that will eventually revert back to the mean, and some kids who marketed themselves well. If any of them were true to their work about being humble they wouldn't have announced the commitment in the first place and they sure as [lacrosse] wouldn't be on this blog defending it. We all know a few of these parents on the east coast and being humble isn't in their dna

whatever...why begrudge anyone for being proud of their kid's accomplishments?
If mine was in that group I'd sure as [lacrosse] like it.

We don't stop people from saying their kid is an A student do we?
we admire the hard work that went into the task of achievement.

So why not consider these lax kids special in that way? they are milestones for others to strive to be like.

I don't see the problem here.

stop whining and put your kid in the class room and on the wall and just maybe he'll measure up... no body gave anything to these kids...they busted their collective asses to get that good in the class and on the field.

good on them!!

Cheers!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
]If a player in the 2017 class has garnered enough attention from high level D1 coaches via his current LAX skill sets to even be considered for a commit at this point; what is the problem with that?

[/quote] Generally agree with the sentiment but the chest-pounding (last sentence) is what is nauseating and should stop. Each on their own time frame. [/quote]

Agreed! "Small group of very special players" ?? What does that make everyone else? Sickening. [/quote]

One thing i have found consistent with this "small group", most of the parents just don't shut their traps about how good their kid is, it's nauseating. You can't stand near them during a game or event without the running commentary. from what I see in this group is some pretty good reclassified kids that will eventually revert back to the mean, and some kids who marketed themselves well. If any of them were true to their work about being humble they wouldn't have announced the commitment in the first place and they sure as [lacrosse] wouldn't be on this blog defending it. We all know a few of these parents on the east coast and being humble isn't in their dna [/quote]

whatever...why begrudge anyone for being proud of their kid's accomplishments?
If mine was in that group I'd sure as [lacrosse] like it.

We don't stop people from saying their kid is an A student do we?
we admire the hard work that went into the task of achievement.

So why not consider these lax kids special in that way? they are milestones for others to strive to be like.

I don't see the problem here.

stop whining and put your kid in the class room and on the wall and just maybe he'll measure up... no body gave anything to these kids...they busted their collective asses to get that good in the class and on the field.

good on them!!

Cheers! [/quote]

I guess my point is I don't believe they're that good. No whining here. Actually i thank them for motivating others to be better, and there will be many in this class to be better. be proud no pompous

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[/quote]

I guess my point is I don't believe they're that good. No whining here. Actually i thank them for motivating others to be better, and there will be many in this class to be better. be proud no pompous [/quote]

That's why you're not a D 1 College scout or head coach...its their job to recognize talent and they know what they are doing. Or do you know better?

keep wishing for that late bloomer...hope that works out

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess my point is I don't believe they're that good. No whining here. Actually i thank them for motivating others to be better, and there will be many in this class to be better. be proud no pompous

That's why you're not a D 1 College scout or head coach...its their job to recognize talent and they know what they are doing. Or do you know better?

Oh it will, I hope the overzealous parent living vicariously through his son thing works out for you.
cheers

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think a lot more offers have been made but Families are keeping silent or haven't accepted?

yes, on both fronts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh it will, I hope the overzealous parent living vicariously through his son thing works out for you.
cheers

Already did my own D1 full ride thing...it's his turn now. Ya know...genetics is a great thing....
Cheers to you and yours.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 11 Boys are the tip of the iceberg from what's really going on out there. I'm sure all top players have had strong contact with a specific College and have been on unofficial visits. Either waiting on a offer or declined.

A lot of these Schools do not want risk losing the Athlete once they attend Jake Reed or Maverick Showtime.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

cheers

Already did my own D1 full ride thing...it's his turn now. Ya know...genetics is a great thing....
Cheers to you and yours.

Both of you sound like 14 year old.....

Girls!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

cheers

Cheers to you and yours.

Like father rides the bench, son rides the bench! Happy Holidays

Maybe you should try a little humility. What happens when your son gets injured or does not live up to your expectations? Rehab ? People like you are sickening!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take the risk and grab the Player before he goes on the open market after Jake Reed or Mav Showtime.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

cheers

Cheers to you and yours.

Maybe you should try a little humility. What happens when your son gets injured or does not live up to your expectations? Rehab ? People like you are sickening!!

bench?...go sit there with your kid and console him as to why you didn't help train him or get him the proper high level private coaching while you went to the beach instead of training. the others got recruited to play because they did and do play...the benches are for those who don't put the extra work in...

its your whining that is nauseating...the soccer team needs a few "winners"...ya know; no first or second place...no need to learn how to compete...just let daddy whine to coaches and who ever will listen as to why little johnny didn't get this or qualify for that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pardon the interruption...for those who experienced Brine. Who coaches the teams at the summer camp? Dont need names, just HS coaches, College, or?? Do they keep that coach the entire camp? Did they practice (with that coach or someone else?) as a team before attending the camp in the summer? Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

cheers

Cheers to you and yours.

bench?...go sit there with your kid and console him as to why you didn't help train him or get him the proper high level private coaching while you went to the beach instead of training. the others got recruited to play because they did and do play...the benches are for those who don't put the extra work in...

its your whining that is nauseating...the soccer team needs a few "winners"...ya know; no first or second place...no need to learn how to compete...just let daddy whine to coaches and who ever will listen as to why little johnny didn't get this or qualify for that.

No whining here, my son is doing just fine, thank you. I just don't feel the need to brag about him. I am only appreciative of his acomplishments. It's people like you that give youth sports a neagtive label. Ruin it for others. Not every kid will get recruited, that doesn't mean they didn't work hard. Some of my sons friends work their tails off and still will probably not get to play in college. That does not mean they are lazy.Did you know that some of the most promising recruits hardly see the field in college? It's not because the kid is not trying, it's just that there are so many great players. What if that happens to your son? and it most certainly could. You are really unbelievable with your superiority complex. So angry and insecure, wierd!

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Pardon the interruption...for those who experienced Brine. Who coaches the teams at the summer camp? Dont need names, just HS coaches, College, or?? Do they keep that coach the entire camp? Did they practice (with that coach or someone else?) as a team before attending the camp in the summer? Thanks
Please consult with Brine or their web site for your answers. As the Brine director opted not to partner with BOTC for this year's event, we have provided this event with more than enough air time to have questions answered to this obviously flawed event.

BOTC wanted to be part of the process on behalf of Long Islanders and regional players to shed some light on the overall process however the Brine director chose to go in another direction.

Now, it is time for the Brine folks to be the direct recipients of your questions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Please consult with Brine or their web site for your answers. As the Brine director opted not to partner with BOTC for this year's event, we have provided this event with more than enough air time to have questions answered to this obviously flawed event.

BOTC wanted to be part of the process on behalf of Long Islanders and regional players to shed some light on the overall process however the Brine director chose to go in another direction.

Now, it is time for the Brine folks to be the direct recipients of your questions.

Got it, understood

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I watched a very good show on HBO it was titled State of Play Trophy Kids. Suggest all watch it. Bench warmers and superstars. It was a real eye opener .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I assume you are asking about the Brine nationals, let me try and answer for you

the Academy (Middle School) is coached by a college coach, the last few years I believe it has been Yale asst. Graham Niemi,teams are not allowed to practice until they arrive at the tournament, they have a skill position practice and a team practice run by college coaches before the tournament starts, the high school event is basically the same but is coached by High School coaches

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couple of thoughts on the early recruting stuff:
1) Congrats to the kids who have committed, great opportunity
2) Not being negative or judging, just a fact that a signifcant percentage of 2017s who have committed (not all) are at least a year older -- 14/just turned 15 which is the "normal" age. Physical maturity and mental maturity matters and 1+ years makes a big difference at this age.
3) Many college coaches have told me and others that at this early point for 2017s it is often the parents pushing hard to commit, not the school. Doesn't mean the school won't take the commit if interested in the kid for fear of losing them, but they would rather wait until summer or next year so the kid is as sure as possible of their commitment and the coaches can see kids play more over the spring, summer and mayve next Fall
4) Many very talented kids - including many of the most talented - are targeting Ivy League, Patriot League, or the Georgetowns of the world which with one exception from Buckenll, have taken no 2017 commitments at this point as their timeline is typically longer and grades matter a ton. They are typically not "early recruting" schools unlike UNC, Michigan, Johns Hopkins, Maryland, Virgina, Penn State, and Ohio State.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is a mix of high school, college and college assistants. one coach per team, teams divided into 4 bracket, teams practice with a team from different bracket. 4 games, 3 in bracket, one out of bracket, championship and consolation games the last day. check in sunday afternoon, finish wednesday early afternoon at the latest.

I assume you are asking about the Brine nationals, let me try and answer for you

the Academy (Middle School) is coached by a college coach, the last few years I believe it has been Yale asst. Graham Niemi,teams are not allowed to practice until they arrive at the tournament, they have a skill position practice and a team practice run by college coaches before the tournament starts, the high school event is basically the same but is coached by High School coaches

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2) Not being negative or judging, just a fact that a signifcant percentage of 2017s who have committed (not all) are at least a year older -- 14/just turned 15 which is the "normal" age. Physical maturity and mental maturity matters and 1+ years makes a big difference at this age.
3) Many college coaches have told me and others that at this early point for 2017s it is often the parents pushing hard to commit, not the school. Doesn't mean the school won't take the commit if interested in the kid for fear of losing them, but they would rather wait until summer or next year so the kid is as sure as possible of their commitment and the coaches can see kids play more over the spring, summer and mayve next Fall
4) Many very talented kids - including many of the most talented - are targeting Ivy League, Patriot League, or the Georgetowns of the world which with one exception from Buckenll, have taken no 2017 commitments at this point as their timeline is typically longer and grades matter a ton. They are typically not "early recruting" schools unlike UNC, Michigan, Johns Hopkins, Maryland, Virgina, Penn State, and Ohio State.

On LI, the "normal" age for current freshman is 14 until Dec 1 after which they turn 15. So I can't blame anyone for repeating their child when they would've entered high school as a 13 year old (flash forward a 17 yr old college freshman) if they have a 4th quarter bday.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love reading you guys whine about this age thing, which is completely a nonissue.

I will enjoy seeing my 2017 son pummel your teams. My son, by the way, is a 19 year old freshman. Deal with it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yea I understand my son is a 42 Year Old Freshman. Oh no that's me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't kid yourself, Ivy, Patriot and Georgetowns of the world are well on their way with the 2016 commits and they are in the hunt for the 2017's as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't kid yourself, Ivy, Patriot and Georgetowns of the world are well on their way with the 2016 commits and they are in the hunt for the 2017's as well.

Not kidding myself. The # of 2016 commits from the schools outlined above are not huge yet (check Inside Lacrosse) but obviously there are several and classes will largely be filled by the summer for many of these schools for 2016s. For 2017s, yes there is activity in terms of reaching out to kids and expressing interest, but it will likely take the next 2 years for the 2017 classes to be largely filled, most heavily next year.

From Ty Zanders (Inside Lacrosse) twitter today:
Spoke w/ Dom Starsia on early recruiting: "It's embarrassing to be on the sidelines watching 9th graders... We're at a point of crisis."

Page 26 of 70 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard