BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 70 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Long Island had a strong showing. 11 in Fab 40. Overall MVP, Runner up MVP and one of the All-Star game MVP's all from Long Island. 3 of the top 5 players on that day from Long Island. That's pretty good. All 232 kids deserve credit for playing hard in such harsh weather conditions.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Long Island had a strong showing. 11 in Fab 40. Overall MVP, Runner up MVP and one of the All-Star game MVP's all from Long Island. 3 of the top 5 players on that day from Long Island. That's pretty good. All 232 kids deserve credit for playing hard in such harsh weather conditions.

Amen to that. The conditions were horrible and the talent was really good, but I still wouldn't say I would be running out and trying to get many if any to commit. I know there were a couple of guys who had committed, and one who had gotten quite a bit of pub from IL, and he has been invisible most of the fall.

There was a lot of skill, but kids are still changing to fast.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Invisible?????

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Amen to that. The conditions were horrible and the talent was really good, but I still wouldn't say I would be running out and trying to get many if any to commit. I know there were a couple of guys who had committed, and one who had gotten quite a bit of pub from IL, and he has been invisible most of the fall.

Great post. It still remains to be seen whos gonna be who. College coaches wanna see kids play varsity and they want to see a year of grades. I dont think youll see too many 2017's commit until the summer or next fall. There will definitely be some late bloomers and kids that surprise. Still a long way to go folks, strap in and hang on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congrats to all of the kids who played in such poor conditions. It would be better if this event were held October to reduce the chance of poor weather.

My son, age 14, said there were kids on his team that were 16 years old. On his 20 person team 6 were from the class of 2016 that had been or were going to be held back. Doesn't seem right, but you've got to work with the hand you're dealt.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Congrats to all of the kids who played in such poor conditions. It would be better if this event were held October to reduce the chance of poor weather.

My son, age 14, said there were kids on his team that were 16 years old. On his 20 person team 6 were from the class of 2016 that had been or were going to be held back. Doesn't seem right, but you've got to work with the hand you're dealt.

This is a disgrace and a joke. Gee.. I wonder if the kids 2 years older looked stronger and faster that the 14 year olds. Let me guess they were from MD and PA prep schools. NXT should be ashamed of themselves. These venues need to step up and start going by age. It's an outrage...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Are these questions significantly easier to answer for a 17 year-old than a 15/16 year-old?

Originally, the concern with early commitments was that a freshman or sophomore could not effectively decide on a college as they were not sufficiently developed to know their academic interests.

Now, we have to worry about things from a coach's perspective? If a coach does not believe he or she cannot sufficiently analyze a recruit, isn't the better choice to back away from the recruitment wars for freshmen and sophomores?

Oh, wait, we cannot allow our program to fall behind. But what about Quint's questions? Ah heck, they don't matter anyway.

Get the point?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Are these questions significantly easier to answer for a 17 year-old than a 15/16 year-old?

Originally, the concern with early commitments was that a freshman or sophomore could not effectively decide on a college as they were not sufficiently developed to know their academic interests.

Now, we have to worry about things from a coach's perspective? If a coach does not believe he or she cannot sufficiently analyze a recruit, isn't the better choice to back away from the recruitment wars for freshmen and sophomores?

Oh, wait, we cannot allow our program to fall behind. But what about Quint's questions? Ah heck, they don't matter anyway.

Get the point?

I think the coaches view recruiting a kid at 15 or 16 as a free option. If the kid develops into the player/student that they anticipate, great. If not, they can terminate the offer or throw the kid onto the roster where he will never see the field. Most schools carry a roster of 40+ kids, many of whom are receiving no money from the program; hence the free option concept. It is probably safer for a coach to recruit a younger kid and gamble on their success rather than miss someone.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This wasn't a very representative 3d team. It was thrown together behind closed doors, and the best players from Colorado were actually not on it in favor of a couple of out of state guys. A lot of people were pretty upset when they heard this team had been put together that way. [/quote]

The team was 3d National. What wasn't representative about it? [/quote]

Turtle lost and are always looking for excuses. The fact is that the kids on 3D are more skilled for their age group than the Turtles. Get over it! [/quote]

I think you need to boost your comprehension capabilities. what you responded to doesnt look like an excuse by someone representing the turtles rather someone involved with 3D. Stop with the hate fruitcake!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get the point?

I think the coaches view recruiting a kid at 15 or 16 as a free option. If the kid develops into the player/student that they anticipate, great. If not, they can terminate the offer or throw the kid onto the roster where he will never see the field. Most schools carry a roster of 40+ kids, many of whom are receiving no money from the program; hence the free option concept. It is probably safer for a coach to recruit a younger kid and gamble on their success rather than miss someone.

Doesn't work the way you're saying at all!! The kids are committing with detailed scholarships in place, once the agreement is made the coach has committed to an offer, he stands by it. That's why it's called a commitment. A gamble, maybe but that's on the coach. Scholarships are not taken back unless specific stipulations on performance are set (I believe Duke does this)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a disgrace and a joke. Gee.. I wonder if the kids 2 years older looked stronger and faster that the 14 year olds. Let me guess they were from MD and PA prep schools. NXT should be ashamed of themselves. These venues need to step up and start going by age. It's an outrage...

Why should NXT be ashamed. They are serving a market, like it or not. Consumers have the option to attend or not attend the tournaments where MD and PA players attend because everyone knows they hold kids back....
Why do you think it is that these events are so successful and well attended by coaches? Because the college coaches care only about the grad year, not the age.
Why doesn't someone on LI host an age based showcase or tournament? I would be curious to see attendance from both player and coach perspectives.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get the point?

Doesn't work the way you're saying at all!! The kids are committing with detailed scholarships in place, once the agreement is made the coach has committed to an offer, he stands by it. That's why it's called a commitment. A gamble, maybe but that's on the coach. Scholarships are not taken back unless specific stipulations on performance are set (I believe Duke does this)

Then it's a $10k to $15k option since most kids aren;t getting full rides

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why should NXT be ashamed. They are serving a market, like it or not. Consumers have the option to attend or not attend the tournaments where MD and PA players attend because everyone knows they hold kids back....
Why do you think it is that these events are so successful and well attended by coaches? Because the college coaches care only about the grad year, not the age.
Why doesn't someone on LI host an age based showcase or tournament? I would be curious to see attendance from both player and coach perspectives.

Exactly, why are people so dense??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Long Island well represented in the Philly Showcase Allstar final game amongst a truly nation wide participation.

2 turtles (LSM,MIDDY)
4 express (LSM ask middy's)
3 fl$ (A, D, LSM)
2 91 (A,D)

One 91 kid overall MVP (D) and one 91 kid Allstar game MVP (A)

Sub freezing temps all day for team games. Kudos to those who could play in such unfavorable conditions.

Express and fl$ had more players in the All-Star game than the Turtles and 91 had an equal amount. What happened?

Didn't those 2 91 MVP kids use to play for the turtles?

only 3 turtles participated in the showcase 2 made the all-star game.
1 of them came in second in f/o competition, doesn't even fo for turtles
as for the MVP, not lost on anyone they show well in the individual event. Turtles are a team

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College coaches don't recruit teams. They recruit individual players who can play regardless of circumstances weather conditions, pain, and without the comfort of their regular teammates. They just get it done without excuses.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College coaches don't recruit teams. They recruit individual players who can play regardless of circumstances weather conditions, pain, and without the comfort of their regular teammates. They just get it done without excuses.

Amen to that statement. And from the rumor mill; turtles that went to Philly as individual players did so at their own risk of being booted off the team...papa joe no likey.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Says the MD and PA parents that cheat. Face it, your telling u your kids they can't compete without you gaming the system for them. When they were age appropriate for the event two years ago they just couldn't measure up. So Mommy and Daddy found a way to get around the rules for little Jimmy. SAD. Talk about dense. STOP GAMING THE SYSTEM, YOU SKELLS. What's next? Are you going to shoot your kid up with HGH and horse steroids because they don't do drug tests at these tournaments? Good Lord... Do you people have any self respect? Any respect for your children? Even a hint of respect for the game? Obviously not.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

6 of the 232 boys were from Md...please stop this endless complaining. I mentioned before, I live in Md, my son is 14 and competes with anyone. Nothing in life is easy..keep complaining and your son will grow up making excuses for every time he isn't successful. What is outrageous is the endless complaining.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Life is not fair. We find a way to win. It's called human nature. I believe Darwin described it as "Survival of the Fittest". Stop with the excuses!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe the quote at the 3D recruiting seminar last year from Jamie Munroe was "if your kid is a marginal 2016, reclassify him and he'll be a good/great 2017". He obviously is practicing what he preaches with a half dozen kids on his national team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Says the MD and PA parents that cheat. Face it, you're telling your kids they can't compete without you gaming the system for them. When they were age appropriate for the event two years ago they just couldn't measure up. So Mommy and Daddy found a way to get around the rules for little Jimmy. SAD. Talk about dense. STOP GAMING THE SYSTEM, YOU SKELLS. What's next? Are you going to shoot your kid up with HGH and horse steroids because they don't do drug tests at these tournaments? Good Lord... Do you people have any self respect? Any respect for your children? Even a hint of respect for the game? Obviously not.

Says the parent that is fostering the "victim" mentality. There is always an excuse for your lot in life. "Son, you would be great if others did not interpret the rules to their advantage. They must be cheating". Stop with the complaining. I am sure the MD and PA parents complain just as much as anyone else about how the system works.

Sorry. It is called life. Life is not fair. If it were, everyone who just worked hard would succeed. Unfortunately, it is not that way, sad to say. I have taught my son, 14 yo , by the way, to deal with adversity, keep your head up and do things the right way, regardless of other's actions, and be able to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you see.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Says the MD and PA parents that cheat. Face it, you're telling your kids they can't compete without you gaming the system for them. When they were age appropriate for the event two years ago they just couldn't measure up. So Mommy and Daddy found a way to get around the rules for little Jimmy. SAD. Talk about dense. STOP GAMING THE SYSTEM, YOU SKELLS. What's next? Are you going to shoot your kid up with HGH and horse steroids because they don't do drug tests at these tournaments? Good Lord... Do you people have any self respect? Any respect for your children? Even a hint of respect for the game? Obviously not.

Says the parent that is fostering the "victim" mentality. There is always an excuse for your lot in life. "Son, you would be great if others did not interpret the rules to their advantage. They must be cheating". Stop with the complaining. I am sure the MD and PA parents complain just as much as anyone else about how the system works.

Sorry. It is called life. Life is not fair. If it were, everyone who just worked hard would succeed. Unfortunately, it is not that way, sad to say. I have taught my son, 14 yo , by the way, to deal with adversity, keep your head up and do things the right way, regardless of other's actions, and be able to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you see.

So now standing up for what's right and having a backbone are akin to "fostering the victim mentality". You must have been raised by wolves. Never said everything will be fair in life. However, I've got the guts to stand up for what's right and have told my children to do the same. Unfortunately, you've told your kid to hide and make believe things are all ok. Don't make waves, be meek. You see, sometimes in life you have to have confrontations. Sometimes it's the only thing that brings about change. What's going on in this sport with the afore mentioned actions by a growing number of parents is just WRONG. No victim here. It's called standing up for what's right. Regardless of how others want to label you. Now go take your 14yo to his 6th grade practice...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Individuals win awards
Teams win championships
Winning programs recruit great players who can be great teammates
as Quint puts it "Winning Intangibles"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I recently spoke to a D1 coach from a lax superpower at a showcase this past weekend. He looked me in the eye and told me "we sincerely hope the rules for recruitment change, we dont like recruiting kids at such a young age but we are forced to to keep up with the other programs. There is no realistic way to tell what a kid is going to be when he is a freshman in high school" He also imparted to me that a large majority of the other D1 programs feel the same way. I think change is coming and I for one cant wait. Too much nonsense going on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry. It is called life. Life is not fair. If it were, everyone who just worked hard would succeed. Unfortunately, it is not that way, sad to say. I have taught my son, 14 yo , by the way, to deal with adversity, keep your head up and do things the right way, regardless of other's actions, and be able to look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of what you see. [/quote]

So now standing up for what's right and having a backbone are akin to "fostering the victim mentality". You must have been raised by wolves. Never said everything will be fair in life. However, I've got the guts to stand up for what's right and have told my children to do the same. Unfortunately, you've told your kid to hide and make believe things are all ok. Don't make waves, be meek. You see, sometimes in life you have to have confrontations. Sometimes it's the only thing that brings about change. What's going on in this sport with the afore mentioned actions by a growing number of parents is just WRONG. No victim here. It's called standing up for what's right. Regardless of how others want to label you. Now go take your 14yo to his 6th grade practice... [/quote]

Complaining about the situation and claiming others are cheating is having a backbone????? Your parents were victims too, I guess. On my way to take my 14 yo to his HS varsity practice. No excuses here. No complaining. Just made the best of every situation. Kid worked hard at what he could change. Did not complain about others or what they were doing. Just WORKED through it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Individuals win awards
Teams win championships
Winning programs recruit great players who can be great teammates
as Quint puts it "Winning Intangibles"

And the kids on those teams that made it there for poitical reasons will either not be recruited or get to college and never seen the field. Then they will just wind up hating the sport. I know several that this has happened to. So keep your kid on the team where the overall skill level is above him, and watch what happens. How do you think these kids are already feeling now as there teamates are getting noticed and they're not?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So now standing up for what's right and having a backbone are akin to "fostering the victim mentality". You must have been raised by wolves. Never said everything will be fair in life. However, I've got the guts to stand up for what's right and have told my children to do the same. Unfortunately, you've told your kid to hide and make believe things are all ok. Don't make waves, be meek. You see, sometimes in life you have to have confrontations. Sometimes it's the only thing that brings about change. What's going on in this sport with the afore mentioned actions by a growing number of parents is just WRONG. No victim here. It's called standing up for what's right. Regardless of how others want to label you. Now go take your 14yo to his 6th grade practice... [/quote]

Complaining about the situation and claiming others are cheating is having a backbone????? Your parents were victims too, I guess. On my way to take my 14 yo to his HS varsity practice. No excuses here. No complaining. Just made the best of every situation. Kid worked hard at what he could change. Did not complain about others or what they were doing. Just WORKED through it. [/quote]

Your accusing someone of complaining, because he's willing to stand up for the right thing!!! What's so hard for you to understand? YES a 16 year old in a freshman showcase IS CHEATING. Plain and simple. YES that kid is gaming the system and soiling the game. How is that being a victim? What ever happened to honor, fair play, and love of the game? Why would you be arguing in favor of those your son supposedly was able to rise above? Do you think he deserves some additional accolades? Be a little humble and grateful. Perhaps your son could use his position to bring attention to the issue and possibly help make a positive change... With a parent like you that doesn't seem likely, mostly because he'll be the VICTIM of the example you've set for him. Best to your son. You're a fool.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have been told by college coaches that Long Island kids are at a disadvanatge because they are younger, however they factor this into their decision making process knowing that LI kids have more upside and have out-performed the MD kids at the collegiate level. Inside Lacrosse reported the same.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard young boys from MD,PA & LI start playing lacrosse because they can't hit a curve ball.
I was recently at a very cold showcase and one of the Div 1 coaches who was not there would have told me the same thing. If in fact he was there and cared at all about HS freshmen.

Lighten up, all you LUNATICS!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So now standing up for what's right and having a backbone are akin to "fostering the victim mentality". You must have been raised by wolves. Never said everything will be fair in life. However, I've got the guts to stand up for what's right and have told my children to do the same. Unfortunately, you've told your kid to hide and make believe things are all ok. Don't make waves, be meek. You see, sometimes in life you have to have confrontations. Sometimes it's the only thing that brings about change. What's going on in this sport with the afore mentioned actions by a growing number of parents is just WRONG. No victim here. It's called standing up for what's right. Regardless of how others want to label you. Now go take your 14yo to his 6th grade practice...

Complaining about the situation and claiming others are cheating is having a backbone????? Your parents were victims too, I guess. On my way to take my 14 yo to his HS varsity practice. No excuses here. No complaining. Just made the best of every situation. Kid worked hard at what he could change. Did not complain about others or what they were doing. Just WORKED through it. [/quote]

Your accusing someone of complaining, because he's willing to stand up for the right thing!!! What's so hard for you to understand? YES a 16 year old in a freshman showcase IS CHEATING. Plain and simple. YES that kid is gaming the system and soiling the game. How is that being a victim? What ever happened to honor, fair play, and love of the game? Why would you be arguing in favor of those your son supposedly was able to rise above? Do you think he deserves some additional accolades? Be a little humble and grateful. Perhaps your son could use his position to bring attention to the issue and possibly help make a positive change... With a parent like you that doesn't seem likely, mostly because he'll be the VICTIM of the example you've set for him. Best to your son. You're a fool. [/quote]

Good luck to your son, sir. Hopefully, he will be able to overcome all of the challenges he may face in a gentlemanly manner.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am also a Maryland parent and agree with the poster. The MD mentality is a disgrace. There are two kids repeating 9th grade a Bullis right now. If they both repeat again and become 2018s it still would make no difference, because neither of them can play. But there is something to the point. My son is one of few 9th graders on his team who is 14.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is the best quote for all those daddys who played Lax over baseball in the 80's. You know those who think because they played in the 80's they are gods. But truth be told, if you didn't make pony ball in the 80's you didn't make your HS baseball team and you played lacrosse.

The same cannot be said today. Over time the real athletes realized lacrosse was faster & action packed where baseball was a snoozer.

(of course there are those rare few who realized baseball was to boring and was ahead of the curve and played lacrosse for the love of it)

I heard young boys from MD,PA & LI start playing lacrosse because they can't hit a curve ball.
I was recently at a very cold showcase and one of the Div 1 coaches who was not there would have told me the same thing. If in fact he was there and cared at all about HS freshmen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son was at the Warrior Diamond 2017 showcase this past Saturday. There were 10 kids on his team that were 16 years old, all from Maryland and a certain organization. My son played hard and didnt flinch, but there was a noticeable difference in size, speed and athleticism. There were hardly any college coaches watching the boys and if they were watching, they were watching the older boys. Its a shame what this sport has become. Its a sport for rich kids and prep school kids now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is really too bad noone gave you the right advice that the Diamond Showcase is a waste of time and money for all except the owner of that certain club in MD you mentioned who pockets the dough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
keep an eye out for the 3d national team roster that plays in the u-15 this summer. I suspect half of the kids from this weekends team will not qualify sue to age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
keep an eye out for the 3d national team roster that plays in the u-15 this summer. I suspect half of the kids from this weekends team will not qualify sue to age.

3d person here. You are correct and that team for whatever reason didn't have any of the starting attack from the 3d Co team which is very good. The two UNC commits are too old as are several of the middies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is Be the best apart of 3D Teams?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As far as I know be the best is a series of camps that originated in California and is now part of 3d training/camps, but I wouldn't say it is part of their teams.

I think the guys who started that as well as California Gold are the guys who run 3d Northern California.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is the best quote for all those daddys who played Lax over baseball in the 80's. You know those who think because they played in the 80's they are gods. But truth be told, if you didn't make pony ball in the 80's you didn't make your HS baseball team and you played lacrosse.

The same cannot be said today. Over time the real athletes realized lacrosse was faster & action packed where baseball was a snoozer.

(of course there are those rare few who realized baseball was to boring and was ahead of the curve and played lacrosse for the love of it)

The only statement that made sense in this post is this:

Not sure where you're from, but I think that's one way to define what makes an area a lacrosse hotbed.

Page 20 of 70 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard