BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 47 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 46 47
Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not to make excuses for the terps poor play, but when they played Team LI, it was their fourth game of the day and tha one was on no rest. So they played, 91 at 10, dukes at 12, 365 at 2 and then team LI at 3pm

team LI didnt play any other games and all other terp games were at least games.

Nothing taken away from team LI, they are a good solid team and can compete with anyone, but dont let the 13-3 score go to your heads...

Just because you type "not to make excuses" doesn't make readers ignore the fact that you then make excuses.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of the teams at Mitchell field on Sunday play at a very high level. Its not about winning or loosing games or championships. All of these teams are playing at a level that will attract college coaches to the sideline. That is what we are looking for isn't it ? Coaches don't care who won. They don't even keep track of scores. Just looking for athletes to fill rosters. Stop all the BS. Be proud of the fact that your kids are on one of these elite teams. Try to teach my son to fight hard and respect the game. Kids will make bonds that will last a lifetime with teammates and opponents.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All of the teams at Mitchell field on Sunday play at a very high level. Its not about winning or loosing games or championships. All of these teams are playing at a level that will attract college coaches to the sideline. That is what we are looking for isn't it ? Coaches don't care who won. They don't even keep track of scores. Just looking for athletes to fill rosters. Stop all the BS. Be proud of the fact that your kids are on one of these elite teams. Try to teach my son to fight hard and respect the game. Kids will make bonds that will last a lifetime with teammates and opponents.

VERY well put - there are some out there that get it...kudos

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

***** SARCASM ALERT *************

Wow - nice example, teach your kids to fight, very nice, and if your from Baltimore you probably held them back so they could fight kids a year younger.... actual - great post

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If Team long island has young 9th grade kids why are they playing in 7-8 grade bracket for mustang showcase?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If Team long island has young 9th grade kids why are they playing in 7-8 grade bracket for mustang showcase?

Exactly. They have four teams at this age group. At least the A team should move up and play with JV. Doesn't make sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Where did you find the schedule ? I didn't think it was out yet. Couldn't find it on line.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exactly. They have four teams at this age group. At least the A team should move up and play with JV. Doesn't make sense.

The A Team is playing JV. The others don't have ninth graders. Why is there so much concern over playing kids the same age as your son. If your coach or directors thought it was unfair they would say something. The funny thing is that TLI plays to the oldest/highest grade kid anyway! THEY DON"T CHEAT! The controversy has been that they have not been able to play their SAME age kids in grade level tournaments. The other AA 2018 teams would want to play them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does it mean to be in 9th grade? If you are a young 9th grader who turns 14 in November, you could have been placed in 8th grade, and the other way around. It is about age not grade, if all the players on the field are the same age what difference does the grade make except when they graduate. There are kids on 2018 teams that are older then kids on 2017 teams.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does it mean to be in 9th grade? If you are a young 9th grader who turns 14 in November, you could have been placed in 8th grade, and the other way around. It is about age not grade, if all the players on the field are the same age what difference does the grade make except when they graduate. There are kids on 2018 teams that are older then kids on 2017 teams.

It matters because those are the rules we chose to play by on LI. This is a 7/8 tournament. Not a u14 (which is not real age group) The line has to be drawn somewhere. They certainly could have stayed back but they didn't. If they are true A team with some 9th graders they should at least be in JV B division. Not playing with 7th graders! Them when a 2018 team plays U15 this summer out of state, they will be at slight disadvantage but playing where they belong. Not customizing the rules that work best for them.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

91 has the team numbers posted on their website last night but not the schedule yet. I'm guessing it was sent around by them to create this uproar.

Don't worry, there is no "ship" this week , it's a fall recruiting tournament, you should be looking to play the best competition.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The A Team is playing JV. The others don't have ninth graders. Why is there so much concern over playing kids the same age as your son. If your coach or directors thought it was unfair they would say something. The funny thing is that TLI plays to the oldest/highest grade kid anyway! THEY DON"T CHEAT! The controversy has been that they have not been able to play their SAME age kids in grade level tournaments. The other AA 2018 teams would want to play them.

I have to agree with the Team LI folks here. I'm a big advocate of aged based play. Seems to me, Team LI has taken a leadership position on this issue. Quite frankly, I think all LI teams should follow their lead. Also, it is no secret that the other top A teams out there have kids that would, by age qualify to be in 9th grade. That's just a fact. So before you start casting dispersions on Team LI, check all the birthdates of the kids on your own team. I think you'd be shocked. Please don't come back on here and say any different. Everyone knows who the older kids are and the PAL rosters from a few years ago don't lie. I'm also not talking about kids who missed the cut off by a month or two, who would qualify under US lax rules. If anyone wants to focus on age, there are plenty of teams from MD and PA where kids are 1 to 2 years older. Focus on them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It matters because those are the rules we chose to play by on LI. This is a 7/8 tournament. Not a u14 (which is not real age group) The line has to be drawn somewhere. They certainly could have stayed back but they didn't. If they are true A team with some 9th graders they should at least be in JV B division. Not playing with 7th graders! Them when a 2018 team plays U15 this summer out of state, they will be at slight disadvantage but playing where they belong. Not customizing the rules that work best for them.

They ARE in the JV ! Check your information before you start crying! don't worry your son won't have to play those big bad 9th graders that are probably younger than him!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think your confused. The U-14 White team is playing in the JV bracket. Always play up to the grade of oldest player if not higher. Not sure what your problem is with this team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Einstein! The 4th team in the age group is the U-13 (mostly 7th grade group)!!! U-14 White (The A team) is playing JV.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BTW who is we? I never saw a ballot sheet! As far as I know the only governing body is US lacrosse, an they want U base teams! So if a tournament director wants to "customize the rules", its his tournament! He has every right to, As long as the kids safety isn't compromise and the teams are placed in the appropriate (competition level). Then common sense should take precedence!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow what an uproar, and it sounds like based on in correct information....why so concerned about this 1 team?

I haven't seen the schedule but have been told the U14 team would be entered into the JV bracket, if they are not, I would guess it would be the tournaments decision but based on the previous post, it sounds they are in the JV bracket.

Just to end all the complaining, I know this has been mentioned a number of times, but the team has always played by the tournament rules, last year the entered the following tournaments:
Big Time Shootout - 2017
NXT Cup - 2017
Yale - U13
Hershey - U13
Stonybrook - 2017

So the next time you guys want to complain about this team again, please come back and read this thread again. Hopefully it will clarify how the team plays age and grade appropriate.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2018 means 2018!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow what an uproar, and it sounds like based on in correct information....why so concerned about this 1 team?

I haven't seen the schedule but have been told the U14 team would be entered into the JV bracket, if they are not, I would guess it would be the tournaments decision but based on the previous post, it sounds they are in the JV bracket.

Just to end all the complaining, I know this has been mentioned a number of times, but the team has always played by the tournament rules, last year the entered the following tournaments:
Big Time Shootout - 2017
NXT Cup - 2017
Yale - U13
Hershey - U13
Stonybrook - 2017

So the next time you guys want to complain about this team again, please come back and read this thread again. Hopefully it will clarify how the team plays age and grade appropriate.

BTW...They did get their butts kicked against the 2017 Terps...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2018 means 2018!

and...
stupid means stupid
cry baby means cry baby
Held back means Held back

Please read the previous post! They have NEVER played in a 2018 division! Why are you so focused on this one teams schedule????

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have to agree with the Team LI folks here. I'm a big advocate of aged based play. Seems to me, Team LI has taken a leadership position on this issue. Quite frankly, I think all LI teams should follow their lead. Also, it is no secret that the other top A teams out there have kids that would, by age qualify to be in 9th grade. That's just a fact. So before you start casting dispersions on Team LI, check all the birthdates of the kids on your own team. I think you'd be shocked. Please don't come back on here and say any different. Everyone knows who the older kids are and the PAL rosters from a few years ago don't lie. I'm also not talking about kids who missed the cut off by a month or two, who would qualify under US lax rules. If anyone wants to focus on age, there are plenty of teams from MD and PA where kids are 1 to 2 years older. Focus on them.

Some of the boys from my town that appear on the fl$ 2018 roster are well known in the athletic community here as hold-backs, with 1999 birthdays well within the 9th grade/2017 age range. It isn't just the MD and CO and CA and New England teams that do this ... they just do more of it than the Long Island clubs, by stacking their teams with hold-backs.

Hold-backs will eventually become the norm on Long Island select teams, unless an age-based requirement is imposed soon. No way the LI "lax daddies" will let LI lacrosse erode to the point where their boys can't compete in the summer against the MD and NE teams. 91 and Express will start taking more hold-backs, and probably actively recruit them (if they are not already).

This is inevitable, absent a sweeping rule change. Once you open the door for this kind of behavior, it becomes a "race to the bottom". And the bottom is closer than you think.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Big Time Shootout - 2017
NXT Cup - 2017
Yale - U13
Hershey - U13
Stonybrook - 2017

BTW...They did get their butts kicked against the 2017 Terps...

ha ha - you are a clown- do you feel better posting that... game was 3-2 TLI up at half...first game in Fall - how did your team do playing down? win all your fall games? awesome - so proud

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BTW who is we? I never saw a ballot sheet! As far as I know the only governing body is US lacrosse, an they want U base teams! So if a tournament director wants to "customize the rules", its his tournament! He has every right to, As long as the kids safety isn't compromise and the teams are placed in the appropriate (competition level). Then common sense should take precedence!

Well said! It would be best if everyone went to the U format. Would certainly level the playing field and stop all this non sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or better yet follow youth hockey and go by birth year. It would end all the redshirt nonsense that goes on. Then I guess everyone would procreate so January and February would be busy months in the maternity ward.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
COLLEGES RECRUIT BY HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION YEAR - this whole age based vs. grade based argument is meaningless, it is all about daddy chest pumping and wins and loses,I have had two sons go through the recruiting process and I have never had a coach ask about his summer teams won - loss record or his age -

Colleges want to know three things
1) gpa
2) SAT Scores
3) Schedule of camps and tournaments he will be at

Petro really does not care about the terps / TLI game in November and the ages of the kids that played

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
US Lacrosse has clearly led by non-example and has not attempted to enforce their own rules and are being led around by the clubs. It is a shame considering ALL of the travel players are members of US Lacrosse but they do nothing to protect the membership. The tail is wagging the dog here. Not sure what the issue is and I have written US Lacrosse to no avail. It is simple for US Lacrosse, do not issue insurance if you do not comply..simple the end. Maybe having the headquarters in Baltimore where much of the age "discrepancies" originate is the issue...

Yup. Add that USLacrosse HQ is steps from Homewood field--JHU one of earliest recruiters.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or better yet follow youth hockey and go by birth year. It would end all the redshirt nonsense that goes on. Then I guess everyone would procreate so January and February would be busy months in the maternity ward.

Folks - you need to get past the age based stuff. As soon as your kid hits recruiting age the coaches don't care if the player is old or young for the particular recruiting class. Yes, in youth it matters for safety reasons. Yes, it's fun to win youth championships. No, it doesn't matter what their win/loss or championship total is once they get on the recruiting circuit. Been there, done that with 2 sons and not once did their college coach every ask about a youth or middle school tournament or their HS summer team record for that matter. Play hard but quit complaining about ages. If you're a 2018 you will be with the big HS boys soon enough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Petro really does not care about the terps / TLI game in November and the ages of the kids that played

Yeah, but if he or any other coaches were watching, they were there to watch 2018s play so any 2017s parents paying a club to have their son in that game was throwing money away faster than everyone else (BTW everyone else was throwing their money away too)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Big Time Shootout - 2017
NXT Cup - 2017
Yale - U13
Hershey - U13
Stonybrook - 2017

2017 teams were NOT eligible to play in a U13 Bracket. What is the determining factor is the DOB of the OLDEST player on the team.

Everytime a team is registered (and I register 20 teams to 5 tournaments each annually) I have to take that into consideration.
IF you are playing "up" at a 2017 level and U13 is where your OLDEST player places you, then you are in the right place.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Big Time Shootout - 2017
NXT Cup - 2017
Yale - U13
Hershey - U13
Stonybrook - 2017

2017 teams were NOT eligible to play in a U13 Bracket. What is the determining factor is the DOB of the OLDEST player on the team.

Everytime a team is registered (and I register 20 teams to 5 tournaments each annually) I have to take that into consideration.
IF you are playing "up" at a 2017 level and U13 is where your OLDEST player places you, then you are in the right place.

Honestly are u that stupid? There are 2017's who are born after sept 1 1999 that were eligible for U-13 last year. They played in the 2017 bracket for every other tournament. Since 80 percent of the team were 2018's, those kids are playing up in those tournaments. Why is that so hard to understand. Unreal!!!!

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
There are 2017's who are born after sept 1 1999 that were eligible for U-13 last year. They played in the 2017 bracket for every other tournament. Since 80 percent of the team were 2018's, those kids are playing up in those tournaments. Why is that so hard to understand. Unreal!!!!
One of the elements in your post that makes it tough to understand is talking about what happened LAST YEAR with U-age brackets. Below, you will find the current age group tables for the Classes of 2017 and 2018.

Despite the confusion, you are actually correct in the first half of your statement - the Class of 2017 students that were born AFTER September 1st, 1999 who are currently U/14 were U/13 eligible last season.

The incorrect part is saying that the older Class of 2018 students were playing up last year in U/13 - in fact, they were on the right age group.

12/01/98 - 08/31/99 ... Class of 2017 ... 9th Grade .... U/15
09/01/99 - 11/30/99 ... Class of 2017 ... 9th Grade .... U/14

12/01/99 - 08/31/00 ... Class of 2018 ... 8th Grade .... U/14
09/01/00 - 11/30/00 ... Class of 2018 ... 8th Grade .... U/13

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
There are 2017's who are born after sept 1 1999 that were eligible for U-13 last year. They played in the 2017 bracket for every other tournament. Since 80 percent of the team were 2018's, those kids are playing up in those tournaments. Why is that so hard to understand. Unreal!!!!
One of the elements in your post that makes it tough to understand is talking about what happened LAST YEAR with U-age brackets. Below, you will find the current age group tables for the Classes of 2017 and 2018.

Despite the confusion, you are actually correct in the first half of your statement - the Class of 2017 students that were born AFTER September 1st, 1999 who are currently U/14 were U/13 eligible last season.

The incorrect part is saying that the older Class of 2018 students were playing up last year in U/13 - in fact, they were on the right age group.

OMG are u serious? 2018 kids who are playing in a 2017 bracket are playing up! Why is that hard to understand. When they played U 13 they were NOT playing their up! This is painful!!!!!

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

OMG are u serious? 2018 kids who are playing in a 2017 bracket are playing up! Why is that hard to understand. When they played U 13 they were NOT playing their up! This is painful!!!!!
Hang on there, Sport. BOTC certainly would not want to risk your Nobel Prize with this discussion.

If a team is composed of both 2017 and 2018 players and they are playing in a 2017 bracket, the team is NOT playing up although some of the players on the team are playing up.

Obviously, a pure 2018 team playing in a 2017 bracket is playing up as a team. The original post asserted that 80% of the team was the Class of 2018. Big difference - the team is NOT a 2018 if 80% of the players are 2018 unless all of the other players are 2019 and younger.

Going back to your original post, you mixed in discussion about U-age groups which we were politely trying to explain.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Well played, CS. Is it true that LI's biggest clubs, Team 91 and Express stand up 4 or 5 teams by grad year?

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by VaLaxDad
Well played, CS. Is it true that LI's biggest clubs, Team 91 and Express stand up 4 or 5 teams by grad year?
Generally, even the largest Long Island boys clubs will take only three teams per age group.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my high school team regularly brings up 8th and 9th grade boys to play JV and varsity and nobody ever says the team is "playing up" time for everybody to start thinking the same way, if the team is 90% 2018 and 10% 2017 then the team is NOT playing up in a 2017 tournament -

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by VaLaxDad
Generally, even the largest Long Island boys clubs will take only three teams per age group.

Except for team LI that usually has 4 and currently 91 has 4 at many of the younger ages 2018 and down.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great game yesterday between 91 and Team LI. Let's leave it at that and keep all the BS out of it.
How about we try something different today and talk about the positives. Two great teams playing a great game regardless of the final score.
Hopefully in the spring can arrange small invites like the Express did last weekend, have all these great team from LI play each other and even a couple from out of state.
91 Parent

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great game yesterday between 91 and Team LI. Let's leave it at that and keep all the BS out of it.
How about we try something different today and talk about the positives. Two great teams playing a great game regardless of the final score.
Hopefully in the spring can arrange small invites like the Express did last weekend, have all these great team from LI play each other and even a couple from out of state.
91 Parent

Was that the Team Long Island team that played Terps last week?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are absolutely right, great game of lacrosse. A team gets more out of a close game then a blow out. They should play each other more then once a year. It was a pleasure to watch.
TLI parent

Page 7 of 47 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard