BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,318
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 125 of 327 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous
College coaches recruiting players three years away from enrolling are not looking at specifics; they can't. Size, skill, athletic brains and academic brains will change in those three years. Grades do not matter and most haven't taken standardized tests (or have and need to take them again). Take a picture of your sophomore player and again when she is a senior. If she is training there is a huge difference. A coach may look at any clubs top teams for this reason--commitment to the sport. Don't hammer me on this; I know every level is committed. Still, the college coach will seek where she/he has been successful before.

Dominant, impact freshman exist but are not the norm. Most of these girls, rightfully so, will watch a lot of games from the sideline. Remember, the girls recruited before them were just as good.

It's not an easy task for college coaches. They have to make choices long before these girls will be their athletes. Don'e envy them.

Although I applaud and congratulate these younger girls committing before their junior year I think its crazy. First off some kids peak long before others do especially girls. So a kid who is a stand out as a freshman or a sophmore amongst her peers may only be mediocre when she becomes a senior amongst her peers. Next there is so much movement with college coaches its insane. My daughter went on a visit in May last year, met with the coach, coach made her an offer and we said our goodbyes to think about it. Plus we had other schools we were looking at. Three days later we email the coach to find out a good time to talk to her because my daughter decided that was the school she wanted, only to get the email returned stating that the coach was no longer with the school. fast forward new coach is hired in July and doesnt even reach out to my daughter. Next scenerio is the kids change their minds about things. My daughter thought from the time she in 7th grade because we had looked at schools with my son that she wanted to go to a small school..fast forward five years later she decided on a school with 20,000 students. There is so much involved with committing young. It puts too much pressure on these kids to make decisions. They miss out on meeting other coaches, visiting other schools and have to decide their future when most 10th graders are barely 15. I think the NCAA needs to put stronger rules on the no contact of students before September 1st of their junior year like it used to be. It gives everyone a fare chance to develop and it stops other kids from feeling pressured because their peers are committed why arent I. My middle daughter in the fall of 10th grade was [lacrosse] bent on going to UMASS to play women's soccer, when it came time for the recruiting process to start she turned to us and stated I dont want to play in college...that was just one year later. Let them be kids as long as you can its the best thing for them...making adult decisions in 10th grade is insane!! Congrats to these young girls however but remember at the end of the day they are still only 15!!!

I agree 100%. It's hard enough for a HS senior to make a choice, forget about a sophomore.

I posted something similiar a couple of weeks back as well. Hopefully with the growth of the sport across the country, the talent pool will not be limited to only a handful states. As the talent pool expands (as well as the number of programs) coaches will not be forced to make these commitments at an early age because there will be more talent to choose from and difference between the #1 recruit and 50th maybe not be that disparate. If you look at other sports that are played nationally, most commitments are not occuring until later half of junior year.

This might not serve the kids today but it may definitely have an impact in those 2021, 2022 age groups.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So hard to get a handle of the academic monies offered as a 9th and 10th grader because the GPA and test scores arent available yet. But if you commit as a 10th grader you are probably getting more than half athletically which some of the strain off academics that is until you realize being a fulltime employee of the school isnt your cup of tea while you are going for enginerring and then when you quit the team you are left with little aid. Academic money is the way to go everytime

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too many ridiculous things to reply to but will give it a try.Do you all really think you know more about recruiting future college D1 players than the actual D1 coaches. The coaches change all the time except the programs you named have coaches who have been in position for a long time and seem very stable.Will have to meet academic standards , yes and no, while I would bet many of the early commits are excellent students exceptions do get made and is rare that a student athlete gets their commitment taken away do to academics.Yes difficult to determine what kind of player these kids will be but the same thing could be said in a year also. All the Ivy League talk is funny, maybe they cannot afford ivy, maybe they don't want ivy, maybe they plan on going to graduate school and realize that's when you go ivy, maybe they want to be on a team that wins a national championship, maybe they have visited ivy schools and felt the schools were to pretentious, ivy is not for everyone.to the early commits , congrats and don't let the jeolous naysayers get to you. Yes my daughter commited early 3 years ago and is loving freshen year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone else feeling pressure from the YJ's to commit their 7th and 8th grader? Its good for YJ business.

I feel like we play for Scott Boris, go ahead Arod, you'll love Texas, take the money and sign quickly!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So hard to get a handle of the academic monies offered as a 9th and 10th grader because the GPA and test scores arent available yet. But if you commit as a 10th grader you are probably getting more than half athletically which some of the strain off academics that is until you realize being a fulltime employee of the school isnt your cup of tea while you are going for enginerring and then when you quit the team you are left with little aid. Academic money is the way to go everytime

You can't combine academic money and athletic money at some of the bigger schools. I think this was explained on another thread. It's one or the other. As far as committing early, yes, I agree it's young and forget about a 15 year old knowing what they want to study and do for a living, I know adults that don't know what they want to do. Find a great school with a lot of different majors and they can decide as late as sophomore year of college, while I don't recommend that. My personal feeling, for what it's worth, is that the earliest anyone should be committing is in their junior year-the earliest! Forget about 2016s that are committing early, there are some 2017s that have already committed and a few very close. This board is great for debating issues such as these, and also can be very educational and informative, I just wish we could keep them a little less personal, with a lot less insults. At the end of the day it's each family's decision what they choose to do.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone else feeling pressure from the YJ's to commit their 7th and 8th grader? Its good for YJ business.

I feel like we play for Scott Boris, go ahead Arod, you'll love Texas, take the money and sign quickly!!

Then you should head over to TG less pressure as most just sign w Hofstra

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
^^^and signing with Hofstra is bad because.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
TG's only pressure their girls to beat YJ. They don't care about college in that program.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC, Duke, UVA all great schools but a lot can happen and they all still have to meet the academic requirements to get in. A great student in 10th grade might not still be that same student in 11th grade or 12th grade. USC is a new program correct so I can see them trying to secure some top talent for their first season

SAT's AND ACT's, are they Honors students or not? I know that these girls have plans to play womans pro lax.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are aware that YJ players have also committed to hofstra, and TG players have committed to Stonybrook, the school CR now endorses. If girls choose to go there, good for them, just hope its not your daughter, looks like you have your sights set much higher.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

You are aware that YJ players have also committed to hofstra, and TG players have committed to Stonybrook, the school CR now endorses. If girls choose to go there, good for them, just hope its not your daughter, looks like you have your sights set much higher.

Once they get to college, all the stupid TG vs. YJ stuff is history. Thank goodness. Girls from either team get recruited by both schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do the YJ teams still employ thug tactics?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You again. Go crawl back into your hole.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's Hofstra....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You again. Go crawl back into your hole.

Friendly. As friendly as how that club teaches their players to whack the opponents on the head.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT HOFSTRA ???? Good school, Program is getting better!
The coach is a Long Island Girl.( a little surprised she did not bring NW connection to the coaching staff)
Give it time to bring in her recruits maybe some more Long Island talent !
Let's see if the coach will bring a top shelf schedule with some old teammates that are coaching at some nice schools.
Why Not want to play there? I drive 4 hours to watch my daughters home games!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just to name a few
Ugly campus, not a nice area, schools academic reputation not great, no football program, lack of support for some athletic programs, Stony Brook is moving in the right direction at a faster pace than Hofstra in both academics and athletics,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You can't combine academic money and athletic money at some of the bigger schools. I think this was explained on another thread. It's one or the other. As far as committing early, yes, I agree it's young and forget about a 15 year old knowing what they want to study and do for a living, I know adults that don't know what they want to do. Find a great school with a lot of different majors and they can decide as late as sophomore year of college, while I don't recommend that. My personal feeling, for what it's worth, is that the earliest anyone should be committing is in their junior year-the earliest! Forget about 2016s that are committing early, there are some 2017s that have already committed and a few very close. This board is great for debating issues such as these, and also can be very educational and informative, I just wish we could keep them a little less personal, with a lot less insults. At the end of the day it's each family's decision what they choose to do.

You make it very difficult not to insult you when you put out false information. Please tell us a school that gives athletic money but will not also give academic money to a qualified student athlete, ie. 50% athletic with a 50% academic as an example.yes the athlete has to be qualified just like any other kid getting academic monies but it happens all the time.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Just to name a few
Ugly campus, not a nice area, schools academic reputation not great, no football program, lack of support for some athletic programs, Stony Brook is moving in the right direction at a faster pace than Hofstra in both academics and athletics,
Let's back up and try to rely on the facts and independent surveys. Further, this is not a Hofstra vs. Stony Brook debate exclusively, but we will deal with your points accordingly.

First, Hofstra'a green space and tulips (in the Spring) rival any campus in terms of attractiveness, particularly at the John Cranford Adams Playhouse. Stony Brook was just named to the listing of the ten ugliest campuses nationwide.

Stony Brook Statesman - Ten Ugliest Campuses, Three SUNYs Make the List

Second, Hofstra eliminated the football program under President Rabonowitz in order to secure funding to launch the medical school. While many will state that there was huge support for the Flying Dutchmen, the truth is that Hofstra's average home football game attendance was less than 1,000. That makes it all the more amazing that Stony Brook's marketing and the athletic department have done well to generate interest in the program - particularly given that Stony Brook has wound up at the CAA-level, right where Hofstra was. Hofstra does get solid support for their Basketball program in terms of numbers.

Third, Hofstra is ranked 120 in the USN&WR rankings while Stony Brook has catapulted into the 80s. Now, recent endowments have greatly helped Stony Brook and their sciences strength has also helped. Without getting into the private versus public college debate, the liberal arts education at Hofstra tends to be broader.

Stony Brook's middle 50th percentile for the SAT I is as follows : Critical Reading (530-640) and Math (600-700), and Writing (530-640). Meanwhile, Hofstra's range for Critical Reading (530-630) is identical and Math (540-630) is lower.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cage your bias is showing again, your independent survey is based on one persons opinion much like your statement about Hofstras campus is only based on your opinion. The overall campus is just not appealing and to compare to Stanford as an example is just a joke.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Cage your bias is showing again, your independent survey is based on one persons opinion much like your statement about Hofstras campus is only based on your opinion. The overall campus is just not appealing and to compare to Stanford as an example is just a joke.
How did Stanford enter this debate? I have been on Palm Drive many times both while visiting and working at this Palo Alto jewel. There is nothing on the New [lacrosse] college scene that can remotely compare at any level.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I have toured Hofstra's campus and was very pleasantly surprised at how nice it actually is. It's a national arboretum with so many plantings you can't hear Hempstead Turnpike even when you can see the cars. It certainly was not what I expected from being there for tournaments or just driving by.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can I change the topic for a moment? Does anyone know if any professional companies were videoing the Rival Challenge last week? I would like to buy the video if its available?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Can I change the topic for a moment? Does anyone know if any professional companies were videoing the Rival Challenge last week? I would like to buy the video if its available?

I did not see any advertising for this like you see at the IWLCA events, but maybe you should email Navy and ask them. Ya never know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the idea

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

I did not see any advertising for this like you see at the IWLCA events, but maybe you should email Navy and ask them. Ya never know.

I did not notice any there. You usually see the Camera poles set up and a booth. I spent most of the day at the fields 10 11

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You make it very difficult not to insult you when you put out false information. Please tell us a school that gives athletic money but will not also give academic money to a qualified student athlete, ie. 50% athletic with a 50% academic as an example.yes the athlete has to be qualified just like any other kid getting academic monies but it happens all the time.

Tell me one of the top ones that do. I'm sure you believe in the "full ride" also

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tell me one of the top ones that do. I'm sure you believe in the "full ride" also

29 of the top 40 teams in 2013 offer $ for both and allow you to combine...That's not counting NAVY which has fees paid regardless of whether you play a sport.

You try to figure out which ones...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MUCH easier to get that ride with academics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Navy, and the other federal academy's don't really count as a fair comparison to other D-1 schools. They are all tuition free regardless of your participation in a sport or not. Sports may help in getting you considered for an appointment, but grades are the main deciding criteria for admission, and if you don't maintain their grade standards you will be asked to leave.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

29 of the top 40 teams in 2013 offer $ for both and allow you to combine...That's not counting NAVY which has fees paid regardless of whether you play a sport.

Ok I will try my best to figure it out, but Notre Dame, UNC and USC are just three that don't.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok I will try my best to figure it out, but Notre Dame, UNC and USC are just three that don't.

\

USC top 40??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You have proven that you do not know what you are talking about...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you hit the published requirememnts for scholorship they kick in regardless of whether you play sports or not.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
How did Stanford enter this debate? I have been on Palm Drive many times both while visiting and working at this Palo Alto jewel. There is nothing on the New [lacrosse] college scene that can remotely compare at any level.

When you said Rival any campus I was just saying that seems to include some schools that make the statement not exactly accurate , any campus on Long Island is debatable

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good Points about Hofstra.
I agree about the 4 hour rides for home games.
Not sure why more girls are not going in that direction!
Can not wait to see where Hofstra will be at in 3 years!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hofstra will still be in Uniondale/Hempstead in 3 years and that is a problem.
Not to beat a dead horse but for most scenic campus Hofstra was #1136 out of 1418 as compared to Stony Brook 840

Safest surroundings Hofstra 1385 out of 1421
Stony Brook 376

Just saying

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

add High point to your list. I know of several more where its either one or the other. In my experience and I have two in college already playing sports there is way more money academically then there is athletically ESPECIALLY for girls. I personally prefer that my first two were almost 100% academic yet still standouts on the field in their sports. My oldest has told me she doesn't want to play anymore which is fine because her education is still covered.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hofstra will still be in Uniondale/Hempstead in 3 years and that is a problem.
Not to beat a dead horse but for most scenic campus Hofstra was #1136 out of 1418 as compared to Stony Brook 840

Safest surroundings Hofstra 1385 out of 1421
Stony Brook 376

Just saying

Stony Brook University Makes Ugliest Campus List

Travel and Leisure magazine ranks the campus at Stony Brook University tops in ugly.

Posted by Jennifer Sloat (Editor) , November 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM patch

A recent survey has Stony Brook University at the top of the list, but the news isn't pretty. In fact, it’s ugly.

Our hometown college has made Travel and Leisure’s list of America’s ugliest college campuses and calls the buildings “bunker-like”.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure where Stony Brook comes into the Hofstra story But thanks.
I was just making a comment about Hofstra and not sure why there is so much chatter about the negative. The men's team do good and I wonder why people are not pushing for the the women's team to be good. I will be watching to see more Long Island girls on her roster the coach is a Long Island Girl and maybe she can bring some big name players home and schools here to play her team! I travel 4 hours for home games for my kids!

Like Reply Quote
Page 125 of 327 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard