SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#47049 - 11/11/13 03:21 PM Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting?  
LaxDad129 Offline
Back of THE CAGE
LaxDad129  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Hi All...All this discussion about girls making commitments to play lax in college and clubs bragging about commits...
What is the reality in athletic money given? Now we know that "full ride" is not a reality but people will tell you their daughter is. So what is the average amount given to a student playing Lax in College?

For example, My wife tells everyone that my daughter got a full ride, when she actually is receiving 15k in athletic money and 15k in academic/grant money, 7K in need based Financial aid and the remaining 10k money in loans.

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#47068 - 11/11/13 07:42 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: LaxDad129]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by LaxDad129
Hi All...All this discussion about girls making commitments to play lax in college and clubs bragging about commits...
What is the reality in athletic money given? Now we know that "full ride" is not a reality but people will tell you their daughter is. So what is the average amount given to a student playing Lax in College?

For example, My wife tells everyone that my daughter got a full ride, when she actually is receiving 15k in athletic money and 15k in academic/grant money, 7K in need based Financial aid and the remaining 10k money in loans.

Dude....first of all no one should ever discuss the amount of money they are getting. It's rude and frankly ridiculous. Second it's no one else's business. Third the coach does not want you telling anyone that info. And lastly there is no average scholarship amount as it is as different as each player.
P.s. Full athletic scholarships do exist.

Top Reply Quote
#47069 - 11/11/13 07:51 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous

Dude....first of all no one should ever discuss the amount of money they are getting. It's rude and frankly ridiculous. Second it's no one else's business. Third the coach does not want you telling anyone that info. And lastly there is no average scholarship amount as it is as different as each player.
Just not in woman's lacrosse

Top Reply Quote
#47074 - 11/11/13 10:38 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

dont see how its rude to post what p[eople are getting and can expect. The travel loonies base their existence on getting some cash in school why not share some facts. 2% of girls will get some cash and full rides are almost never happen unless bundled with academics but you need the grades so it doesnt count against the teams academic scholorships

Top Reply Quote
#47081 - 11/12/13 01:29 AM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

dont see how its rude to post what p[eople are getting and can expect. The travel loonies base their existence on getting some cash in school why not share some facts. 2% of girls will get some cash and full rides are almost never happen unless bundled with academics but you need the grades so it doesnt count against the teams academic scholorships

Look...you can say what you wish. Everyone here does anyway whether true or not. Full rides do exist. Fact. Also there is not a single player or parent who should say what they are getting. If you are asking then you are obviously lacking some self respect.

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#47086 - 11/12/13 08:45 AM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agreed!! The high scholarship amounts may go to an extremely academically and athletically gifted girl going to a school that is not as presigious as she is deserving of. Sometimes it comes down to money. Go to a mediocre school with a nearly full ride, or go to Duke with a 25% tuition. BIGGGG financial diference! Trade off, we all do it!

Top Reply Quote
#47096 - 11/12/13 09:12 AM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agreed!! The high scholarship amounts may go to an extremely academically and athletically gifted girl going to a school that is not as presigious as she is deserving of. Sometimes it comes down to money. Go to a mediocre school with a nearly full ride, or go to Duke with a 25% tuition. BIGGGG financial diference! Trade off, we all do it!

No Way, a sane response, can't be.

Top Reply Quote
#47098 - 11/12/13 09:18 AM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your OPINION. Fact is different. First hand knowledge here. I don't think Notre Dame is a mediocre college do you? I love when people state an uninformed opinion and call it fact. Just because a girl doesn't get a substantial scholarship doesn't mean they are not common for better players.

The comments about the lack of scholarships or full scholarships are coming from those who aren't getting them. The ones who are getting the big money keep quiet about it. As it should be.

Top Reply Quote
#47099 - 11/12/13 09:23 AM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: LaxDad129]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe you should speak to the coaches and athletic representatives from the schools your daughter has on her wish list. FIRST you should talk to her HS and club coaches and get an honest evaluation of her talent level. Too many people over estimate that level, get no or very little $ and [lacrosse] and complain about the system. Hopefully you are not one of those people and will do the leg work we all have done and will not listen to the faceless opinions of some posters here.

Top Reply Quote
#47100 - 11/12/13 09:25 AM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sane? How about sour grapes....and stop commenting on your own posts wink

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#47127 - 11/12/13 12:04 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sane? How about sour grapes....and stop commenting on your own posts wink

Dont see how it's sour? Ussually a trade down gets you more cash and is available to more kids. Only the chosen few get really big time money to a big time program.

Top Reply Quote
#47128 - 11/12/13 12:13 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to tell you. There is no big time money in a true big time program at the most elite schools. Fact is they don't have too. There are so many top notch kids dying to go there that they are happy with their 25%. And if that is not enough cash, there is someone else just as good waiting in line. Other schools have to give big scholarships to attract those top kids. If anyone tells you different, they are lying!

Top Reply Quote
#47130 - 11/12/13 12:48 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to tell you. There is no big time money in a true big time program at the most elite schools. Fact is they don't have too. There are so many top notch kids dying to go there that they are happy with their 25%. And if that is not enough cash, there is someone else just as good waiting in line. Other schools have to give big scholarships to attract those top kids. If anyone tells you different, they are lying!

YOU ARE SO WRONG!
My daughter is committed to a big time, elite (top 20) school and received, as you say, big money. We know of some others in the same boat. So once again your OPINION is wrong. Take it from someone going through it now not someone who may have missed the boat.

Do not listen to gossip being typed by those who have an axe to grind. Their words are not worth the shavings on the ground!

Top Reply Quote
#47133 - 11/12/13 01:11 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think its safe to agree to disagree.. I'm sure the top recruits in the country are getting big $. but after those 20 or so it has to drop significantly. most D-1 teams are carrying 30 players, 1 may get a lot, most get a little, and some get none.
the #1 recruit last year went to Notre Dame, I'm sure she did very very well. but I'm guessing her teammate who went to Stonybrook got 20% to 30%

Top Reply Quote
#47134 - 11/12/13 01:11 PM Re: Commitment - How Much Athletic Money are Girls Really Getting? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

YOU ARE SO WRONG!

I don't believe you for one minute! There is nobody getting full rides in lacrosse! Full ride being 100% of tuition AND room and board in ATHLETIC money. You may be getting grants aid and academic money that are coningent on rigorous standards. That is not the same as an athletic full ride, sorry.
My daughter is committed to a big time, elite (top 20) school and received, as you say, big money. We know of some others in the same boat. So once again your OPINION is wrong. Take it from someone going through it now not someone who may have missed the boat.

Do not listen to gossip being typed by those who have an axe to grind. Their words are not worth the shavings on the ground!

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Harding Battle By The Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Tournament
JC17 Memorial Shootout for Dreams