BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Girls 2015 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
BOTC is opening our Fall 2013 through Summer 2014 thread covering the Girls 2015 (11th Grade) age group.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls 2015 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Cold Spring Harbor junior goalie Haley Crosson has made a verbal commitment to play Division I lacrosse at Johns Hopkins University.

High school: Cold Spring Harbor
Graduation Year: 2015
Position: Goalie
College Choice: Johns Hopkins University
Club Affiliation: Long Island Yellow Jacket 2015 Blue
Major lacrosse honors: All Conference 2012, All Country Honorable Mention 2013, Long Island Metro Team 2013

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Cold Spring Harbor junior midfielder Lindsey Willcocks has made a commitment to play Division I lacrosse at Marquette University.

High School: Cold Spring Harbor High School
Graduation Year: 2015
Position: Midfielder
College Choice: Marquette University
Club Affiliation: Long Island Liberty Lacrosse Black Team
Lacrosse Honors: All-Conference Award, Coaches Award, I played on the School Girls team with Danielle Gallagher

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Class of 2015 Commitments from LI Yellow Jackets

BOTC congratulates all of the following Class of 2015 graduates on their college selections and placements.

Kristen Adams (Garden City) U-Penn
Kristen Brunoforte (Northport) Jacksonville
Mackenzie Burns (Sayville) StonyBrook
Megan Beach (St Anthony’s) Fairfield
Amanda Buemi (Northport/Florida) Rollins
Mary Ellen Carron (Mt Sinai) Lehigh
Jennifer Casadonte (Hills) Notre Dame
Haley Paige Crosson (Cold Spring Harbor) Hopkins
Kelly Felicetta (Ursaline) Marist
Natalie Fucillo (ESM) JMU
Carlee Janelli (North Shore) Hofstra
Samantha Giaccolone (ESM) Notre Dame
Gabbi Labuskes (Northport) US Naval Academy
Sam Lynch (Our Lady of Mercy) Notre Dame
Holly Logan (Cold Spring Harbor) Hopkins
Isabella Mangan (St. Anthony's) IVY
Kasey Mitchell (Mt. Sinai) Stonybrook
Nikki Ortega (Middle Country) Notre Dame
Sydney Pirecca (Mt Sinai) Florida
Claire Quinn (Manhasset) Northwestern
Sam Vevante (Northport) New Haven
Carly Telekamp (Hauppauge) Towson
Grace Tierney (St. Anthony's) Iona
Ally Tolken (ESM) UMass
Monika Sivilli (Elwood) Stanford
Tara Wahl (Farmingdale) JMU
Emily Yoo (Northport) Binghamton

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Class of 2015 Commitments from LI Liberty

Chrissy Corcoran — University of Pennsylvania
Kellen Dalleva — Dartmouth
Lindsey Ehrhardt — Loyola
Kathryn Hallet – Princeton
Margot McTiernan — Richmond University
Sarah Phillips – Cornell
Lindsey Ronbeck — Florida
Cate Soccodato — Marquette
Lindsey Willcocks — Marquette

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Class of 2015 Commitments from LI Top Guns

Samantha Apuzzo - Boston College
Ella Bonafede - Duke University
Jenna Budd - Hofstra University
Kendra Cronin - Florida University
Lauren Daly - Boston College
Theresa Danetti - Monmouth
Rachel Gregory - Hofstra University
Nicole Levy - Syracuse
Alix Lopez - Florida University
Keri McCarthy - Stony Brook
Samantha Ruic - Winthrop University
Carly Seekamp - NAVY

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Class of 2015 Commitments from Team Elevate

Alssa Amorison - Ohio State University
Morgan Lannig - CW Post

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If those lists are fairly accurate the recruiting edge is still solidly on YJ side.Could be some kids just do not let their commitment be known to those in charge. Did see YJ kid going to Hofstra which is a good thing just do not think you will see a lot of.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If those lists are fairly accurate the recruiting edge is still solidly on YJ side.Could be some kids just do not let their commitment be known to those in charge. Did see YJ kid going to Hofstra which is a good thing just do not think you will see a lot of.

Why? Do you think the head coach cares if a player was on the YJ? She is trying to put together a winning team, and will take the best talent she can get.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why? Do you think the head coach cares if a player was on the YJ? She is trying to put together a winning team, and will take the best talent she can get.

Actually I think it may be more of a bias the other way, many YJ players associate Hofstra w TG and clearly I would not think SS and CR have a good working relationship.You can say all you want about it but for many and especially YJ if they are going ton stay on the island they are going to Stony Brook. Compare the two schools and its no contest, sorry cage just my opinion.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually I think it may be more of a bias the other way, many YJ players associate Hofstra w TG and clearly I would not think SS and CR have a good working relationship.You can say all you want about it but for many and especially YJ if they are going ton stay on the island they are going to Stony Brook. Compare the two schools and its no contest, sorry cage just my opinion.

Both schools are way down the list lacrossewise, acedemicwise and certainly campus and college experience wise. Either may be a good fit for a girl for whatever reason, but they are both settle for schools, not hopeful aspiring for schools.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Both schools are way down the list lacrossewise, acedemicwise and certainly campus and college experience wise. Either may be a good fit for a girl for whatever reason, but they are both settle for schools, not hopeful aspiring for schools.
US News and World Reports now has Stonybrook ranking in the 80s while Hofstra is standing in the 120 range. As a private institution, this has to be bothering Hofstra particularly given that they have sacrificed their NCAA Division I Football team for the Medical School.

It is hard to believe that Strum-Kenney positioned Stony Brook in a better place than Rabinowitz, but you cannot argue with the current USN&WR results.

BOTC would need to take a closer look at the impact of the major donations received at Stony Brook over the last two years as well as the peer rankings. Both have impacts on the University's standing as these two areas account for 20% of the total scoring.

Neither school is a Top 30 National program - nor do they claim to be. That said, Stony Brook is claiming time on national television and in media publications. Hofstra has certainly been outflanked when it comes to headlines associated with NCAA Division I programs.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Compare the two schools and its no contest, sorry cage just my opinion.
All fair points, dear poster.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you look at website for teams, TG committed just under 30% of their 2015 rosters (14 of approximately 50 girls from the combibned two teams). YJ committed just over 30% of their 2015 rosters (32 of approximately 100 girls from a combined four teams). Liberty and Elevate have a lower percentage but are getting their kids to schools to play lax.

Nice showing from LI!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you look at website for teams, TG committed just under 30% of their 2015 rosters (14 of approximately 50 girls from the combibned two teams). YJ committed just over 30% of their 2015 rosters (32 of approximately 100 girls from a combined four teams). Liberty and Elevate have a lower percentage but are getting their kids to schools to play lax.

Nice showing from LI!
HOLY CRAP, a fair and even post

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice showing from LI!

Maybe fair, maybe not. Why question whether Liberty & Elevate kids are going to their schools to play lax when you didn't question whether Top Guns & YJ kids are?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice showing from LI!

Maybe fair, maybe not. Why question whether Liberty & Elevate kids are going to their schools to play lax when you didn't question whether Top Guns & YJ kids are?

I would be willing to bet between 90-100% of the girls from all the lax clubs mentioned are going to attend college. It is a "Lax" forum. Give the poster a break, I don't think there was any malicious intent...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice showing from LI!

Really you had to ruin a good post? drama queen

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Nice showing from LI!

No one is going to school to play lax. They are going for education and a degree. Lax can just help you get into a school if you're on the edge. Maybe it knocks a few bucks off tuition but you'll get a lot more money from a school's academic pool than athletic.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice showing from LI!

Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Powderfinger

Nice showing from LI!

No one is going to school to play lax. They are going for education and a degree. Lax can just help you get into a school if you're on the edge. Maybe it knocks a few bucks off tuition but you'll get a lot more money from a school's academic pool than athletic.

As realistic as you think that sounds...most of the top players on the top teams for the top programs are going to college to play lacrosse AND get an education...Don't kid yourself. That was a fair post by someone complimenting the players and clubs from LI...Don't make it more than it is...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice showing from LI!

No offense Powder but my experience has been very much the opposite of what you are saying. First have seen lax help many kids get into schools they had no chance at getting into not just kids on the edge.Also seems to me that money is easier thru lacrosse than academics, have seen many a kid who was at or near the top in their class not receive a dime from top institutions and many a kid who was not at the top of their club team get some money from these same places.I do not like the way it seems to be but that has been my experience, in my opinion they should be recruiting student athletes but they do not they recruit lacrosse players.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

No offense Powder but my experience has been very much the opposite of what you are saying. First have seen lax help many kids get into schools they had no chance at getting into not just kids on the edge.Also seems to me that money is easier thru lacrosse than academics, have seen many a kid who was at or near the top in their class not receive a dime from top institutions and many a kid who was not at the top of their club team get some money from these same places.I do not like the way it seems to be but that has been my experience, in my opinion they should be recruiting student athletes but they do not they recruit lacrosse players.
This assertion that many (note the "quantifier", today's SAT Word of the Day) students get into academic institutions from which they would otherwise have been rejected is simply incorrect. Define "many" and name the schools that maintain liberal policies. In a graduating class with 100-150 top level players, you would be hard pressed to name five players who have enjoyed such golden ticket status.

Academic money among the Top 30 schools nationally has indeed been drying up. Why? In short, there is no reason for those schools to discount their price in order to attract top level students. Institutions such as Hofstra University and Adelphi University are discounting tuition costs by as much as 40% in order to attract Long Island's Valedictory talent. Does an Ivy League institution offer those types of discounts? No. Patriot League schools, also solid Division I academic schools will also be discounting in the 30% range to attract top level students. St. John's University is discounting in excess of 50% for top level students.

So, that is one challenge for academic money - top tier schools have stopped awarding large stipends for top talent.

The second challenge is that some number of schools have gone to "need-blind" application processes. Now, many readers will applaud this approach until they realize that the additional funding of financial aid programs comes from decreasing (or eliminating) merit money from academic programs.

Despite these challenges, academic money is STILL more plentiful and athletic money and in particular, lacrosse. With 25+ players on rosters with funding of less than 10 scholarships, exactly where would one envisage an award for an entering freshman?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cage I think what I am talking about and your golden ticket person are vastly different. The golden ticket kid is the below 1000 SAT with a GPA below 3.0 and the coach gets them into a descent school. I am talking about the 1100 SAT kid with a 3.5 GPA who gets into the Dukes, UVA, Vandy schools when in reality had no chance at getting into those schools without lacrosse, these I have seen many times.Obviously a guess but would say it happens about 4-6 times a year at most top 50 schools in girls lacrosse alone.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Cage I think what I am talking about and your golden ticket person are vastly different. The golden ticket kid is the below 1000 SAT with a GPA below 3.0 and the coach gets them into a descent school. I am talking about the 1100 SAT kid with a 3.5 GPA who gets into the Dukes, UVA, Vandy schools when in reality had no chance at getting into those schools without lacrosse, these I have seen many times.Obviously a guess but would say it happens about 4-6 times a year at most top 50 schools in girls lacrosse alone.
A 3.5 GPA with hard work sounds like it would be fine at these institutions however the 1100 SAT I two-way score is the real problem here. Even if that score included a 600 Math SAT section, the problem is that you will quickly find that student in a calculus section when the algebra and geometry skills were only slightly better than average.

Yes, lacrosse might have gotten that student into those schools, but what happens in the classroom from that point forward remains a question. Thank you for your thoughts and contributions to this thread - extremely interesting discussion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
A 3.5 GPA with hard work sounds like it would be fine at these institutions however the 1100 SAT I two-way score is the real problem here. Even if that score included a 600 Math SAT section, the problem is that you will quickly find that student in a calculus section when the algebra and geometry skills were only slightly better than average.

Yes, lacrosse might have gotten that student into those schools, but what happens in the classroom from that point forward remains a question. Thank you for your thoughts and contributions to this thread - extremely interesting discussion.

Interesting topic. I have talked with the Duke coach about this subject. Her response was, "the hardest part is getting in". She said the classes are not necessarily harder than other institutions with lower standards. With the extra academic support their athletes get, the track record of those good but not gifted students are very good. The graduation rate is close to 100 percent. Most of these girls who play at a high level usually have one thing in common and that is a great work ethic, so they usually refuse to fail.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Latest Class of 2015 Verbal Commitments from the Yellow Jackets

Kristen Adams (Garden City) Penn
Megan Albertson (Southside) UMass-Lowell
Emily Bellino (Sachem) UMass-Lowell
Nicole Bifulco (Harborfields) Stony Brook
Kristen Brunoforte (Northport) Jacksonville
Mackenzie Burns (Sayville) Stony Brook
Megan Beach (St Anthony’s) Fairfield