BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Do you know Cabell Maddux?
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Hi there,

I知 Luke Mullins, a writer at Washingtonian Magazine in DC. I知 posting for a story about DC-area lacrosse coach Cabell Maddux, who runs the Madlax program.

I知 on a learning curve and want to make sure my story is as thorough and fair as possible. I want to get in touch with parents, coaches, players, or former players who will share their experiences about him.

If you致e had first-hand experience with Coach Cabell, I壇 be very interested in speaking with you. Feel free to email me at lmullins@washingtonian.com.

Thanks!

Re: Do you know Cabell Maddux?
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can't be serious? I'm from out of state, have no dealings with Maddux other than our team attending a madlax tournament. Iwould hope no one responds to this guy......

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You can't be serious? I'm from out of state, have no dealings with Maddux other than our team attending a madlax tournament. Iwould hope no one responds to this guy......
Before allowing this post, BOTC actually contacted the reporter directly. (We have Luke's phone number.) Apparently, Washingtonian Magazine would like to do a youth sports piece looking at Cabell Maddux given the recent controversy and most importantly would like to speak with parents about their attitudes and impressions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't know him. Would never want to know him...He's part of what's wrong with youth sports today... It's unusual that the parents are the sane ones in this story after reading some of the freakishly scary posts on this site..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What follows is an email exchange, forwarded to us by a tipster, that took place between an angry coach Cabell Maduux, one of his players, and that player's parents. It begins with the player telling his coach that he won't be able to attend a practice or game. It goes downhill from there, thanks to Coach Crazypants. As you read along, keep in mind that the player is in eighth grade.

To: Coach Maddux

I can't make Thursday finals are starting

Sent from my iPhone

Bad move, Ryan!

To: Ryan

I need you there. Seriously. It is about being a student-athlete. You can't miss. You need to manage time better and attend practice. Everyone of your teammates is in exams also and so i am not making an exception for only one player. It is how it will be in hs and college and you have to figure it out. I know you went to landon practice yesterday and so you found time for that. This practice is in season and frankly very important. You need to show up to play as we are not practicing friday. See you thursday!
-Coach Maddux

After not hearing back from the kid for two days, the coach reaches out to Ryan's parents:

To: Ryan's Parents

Call me please this morning. [Phone number redacted] We need to talk.

No response, which begs a follow-up email:

Still waiting on a return phone call....been 2 weeks now.

And here he comes again, on the very same day:

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 14:05:16 -0400
Subject: Ryan - Madlax
To: Ryan and his parents

I know I have left you a bunch of messages, texts and emails but the best time to call me is in the morning. I have tryouts every night last week and this week and next week.

I just want to speak with you guys. I know you have always said, "Ryan is Madlax for life", and I still love him but it seems like you have been blowing me off. Just call me in the morning. I have done a ton for Ryan over the years and have given him amazing opportunities (Landon, scholarships, 3d/NBC invites, National Team, etc..) and I want to continue to help him as he enters HS and starts looking at colleges. He will need my recommendation with college coaches who I will speak to on his behalf soon believe it or not. I plan to start calling coaches on him and a few others this summer. Going to be fun.
Looking forward to hearing from Ryan or Trish or Myland...someone please.
Thanks, Cabell / Coach Maddux
PS: Ryan played a beautiful game on Sunday! Congrats.

Finally, a response from Ryan's dad:

To: Coach Maddux

We understand that this is a very crazy time for you. And my work AND Trish's work are a bit overwhelming as well. And as you know, I can't call during the day from my mobile and I have been non-stop at work for the past few months.

I am sure you have heard, and you would have noticed because we have not signed up for the summer program, but we are going to make a change this summer. Ryan has had a great time in Madlax, but this year has really been different. Ryan has been unhappy and very demotivated to play. We as a family think it is time we make a change. We have appreciated everything you have done for Ryan, but he has also had a hand in getting where he is. He works very hard and plays very hard. We are very proud of him. We are also grateful for the opportunities he has had to play for Madlax. But again, Ryan just wants to make a change..and we support him in that. This is not a decision we have made lightly...but one we have discussed the pros and cons about over the past several months.

We think you have a tremendous program and wish you the best of luck. I know your teams will do well as you have a TON of talented players with great parents and coaches as well...this weekend proved that. But we have to do what we feel is best for Ryan, so we are going to go in a different direction. And I know you care about Ryan, so I am sure you will be complementary if college coaches happen to ask about him. Ryan is a really good player, but we are realistic about playing at the next level, so we ensure he focuses on his grades as well!

And Cabell, we don't want to make this a big deal...or create a lot of drama that adversely impacts Ryan or anyone else in your program. This decision is hard enough on him. I know you want the same. We wanted to wait until Spring season was done to avoid any distractions to the team. I think you agree that Ryan gave his all until the very last play of the last game.

I think it is best that we agree to part ways and enjoy the great memories in Madlax and the season that we just had. All positive things. This was a tough decision, but one that we have made and will not reverse, so no need to talk further.

Please feel free to remove us from any Madlax distro list. We will continue to pay the CASE fees through July.

Cheers

And here's where the [lacrosse] hits the fan:

What? Is this a joke? This will be a decision that Ryan regrets for a long time. I doubt it is his decision though. I know it is you trying but failing to control the situation. I will speak to coach Bordley and colleges coaches immediately and make sure they know they are getting a quitter who is ungrateful and soft who can't take criticism. You have taken advantage of me and madlax and now you are doing a huge diservice to your son. I am hurt and angry. You have no clue how this lacrosse world works. Wow. You have really screwed him. And by the way it is a big deal and I will let every one of his teammates know. His teammates will hate him for years for quitting and playing for a rival club. Trust me on that.

The fact that you have been considering it for months is just unbelievable cowardice. If I had any clue which I didn't until right now I would have kicked his butt off the team for not being committed. I dont need Ryan or your craziness. I would much rather work with a kid who is tough and grateful.

Your word is obviously meaningless. Ha. Madlax for life. Yeah right. You are a joker and this will hurt Ryan for a long time. No college coach wants to recruit a kid with a crazy and disloyal dad who will transfer his son as soon as he gets yelled at. And by the way you have been on scholarship so I will be back billing you for unpaid events that you said you would pay for. I would never have asked you for that money but now since you are quitting I have legal right to bill you for it.

You have obviously not thought this through. You have not spoken to anyone at Landon because I know what they would tell you to do. You are a team parent cancer and every team has one. All the Landon parents already hate you because they tell me and I have been sticking up for you because you were 'madlax for life'. Screw you for taking advantave of me. I am sorry I got Ryan invited to 3d/ nike blue chip and introduced you to landon because he is obvuously unappreciative. If he was appreciative he would stick with madlax but I know his crazy and controlling dad would not let him.

But coach isn't done yet! Two weeks later, he decides that he hasn't spent enough time acting like a giant man-baby and sends the following email to Ryan and his parents:

To: Ryan and his parents

Hey ungrateful quitter....
Your former teammates and coaches, who hate you now, can't wait to get a piece of you Saturday when we play vlc.
Who quits for getting yelled at and uses people who have helped them for years? Oh yeah...only babies who are coddled (and done a long-term disservice) by their crazy father.
See you there!!!

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow that was a crazy read. This coach obviously doesn't realize that the parent/ players are the CONSUMERS!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow that was a crazy read. This coach obviously doesn't realize that the parent/ players are the CONSUMERS!!!

Makes JS from Team 91 look like a great guy!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ha ha your right does make JS look like a saint!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ha ha your right does make JS look like a saint!

JS just hasn't been caught yet.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well Well Well people will never let anything die. The people who are part of Madlax are happy with Madlax or they do not see a better option for there son. Either way the whitch hunt is only being pushed foward by the other clubs in the NVA area who would like to have the kids on there teams or they are parnets of kids that where cut by Madlax and want to save the kids from the Mad man Maddux. As for people running away from Madlax after the EMAIL came out, It did not happen. The first tryout after the EMAIL Madlax had 100+ kids tryout for the U15 age group and team. The age group of the kid from the email. They had so many kids at that age they made 3 teams this fall at U15 not 2 like all the years before. People want tough coaches for there sons. Smart people know this world is not all gum drops and candy canes. They want there sons to be men not soft the world owes me somthing babies. If you want to hear from Madlax parents put your phone number/ personal email and you will get your info from the Madlax side.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry I see you put your email. My fault.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
which witch - whitch???
there their they're
where were

-not one to normally call out these silly errors, but abomination is the only word which comes to mind after reading the below post .... not a very literate defense of your coach

Well Well Well people will never let anything die. The people who are part of Madlax are happy with Madlax or they do not see a better option for there son. Either way the whitch hunt is only being pushed foward by the other clubs in the NVA area who would like to have the kids on there teams or they are parnets of kids that where cut by Madlax and want to save the kids from the Mad man Maddux. As for people running away from Madlax after the EMAIL came out, It did not happen. The first tryout after the EMAIL Madlax had 100+ kids tryout for the U15 age group and team. The age group of the kid from the email. They had so many kids at that age they made 3 teams this fall at U15 not 2 like all the years before. People want tough coaches for there sons. Smart people know this world is not all gum drops and candy canes. They want there sons to be men not soft the world owes me somthing babies. If you want to hear from Madlax parents put your phone number/ personal email and you will get your info from the Madlax side.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So how does this change anything that was said?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wrong. Several players have left Madlax already. As you note, many have stayed because they see it as the best option for the time being. But make no mistake - this is something Cabell has done to other kids/families. He is an infant who is vindictive if anyone dares to "go against him". He cannot behave like a human being, which is why he has been fired as a HS coach multiple times.

You are an idiot. This is not about Cabell yelling or being a "tough coach". The email - which was not doctored - is indefensible. Because a kid decided to leave, Cabell threatened him and his family, implied his team would come after the kid at the next meeting, and wrote a series of juvenile retorts worthy of a 5th grader. If Madlax works for you, that's fine. But Cabell is a horrible person. But as long as your son isn't targeted, it's all good, right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are correct I am a Idiot for writing on this blog. Giving you cry babies someone to yell at and cry to. We all know he is off in the head and we like it. If my son can play for him he can handle any high school or college coach. If he hits a kid that would be the line but in the real world people say mean things you cant hide that from you kids forever. Grow a pair let your son see the real world.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are correct I am a Idiot for writing on this blog. Giving you cry babies someone to yell at and cry to. We all know he is off in the head and we like it. If my son can play for him he can handle any high school or college coach. If he hits a kid that would be the line but in the real world people say mean things you cant hide that from you kids forever. Grow a pair let your son see the real world.

First of all, it's a message board, not a blog. Secondly, you are clearly new to Madlax. My son used to play for them, but thankfully he moved to a better team and program (and we got a lot of hate emails from Cabell because of it). Nobody is complaining about yelling. Cabell actually isn't that tough on the kids (he's tough on the refs), so that isn't the issue.

The issue is that he can't run a business. He gets fired as a coach because he can't work with people. We aren't talking about toughening kids up. We are talking about threatening a family just because they decided to leave for a better program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please name this great program? I am sure someone will write on here about whats wrong with it. Also please tell me what you would like to happen with Madlax? People are very aware they might get a mean email from him if the leave. Most are fine with it. Some parents are upset they did not get a mean email when they left Madlax, took it as a insult. I have seen at least two other lacrosse stores in the area. If they would like to put together 15 or so teams at all levels please someone talk them into doing it. Until then go and injoy your new team .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Luke.Mullins
Hi there,

I知 Luke Mullins, a writer at Washingtonian Magazine in DC. I知 posting for a story about DC-area lacrosse coach Cabell Maddux, who runs the Madlax program.

I知 on a learning curve and want to make sure my story is as thorough and fair as possible. I want to get in touch with parents, coaches, players, or former players who will share their experiences about him.

If you致e had first-hand experience with Coach Cabell, I壇 be very interested in speaking with you. Feel free to email me at lmullins@washingtonian.com.

Thanks!

Is it too late to contact you? I know three people who would be willing to talk about the abuse they received from Cabell just for leaving.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gasp - 3 people out of the thousands that have gone through the program

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Luke.Mullins]Hi there,

Is it too late to contact you? I know three people who would be willing to talk about the abuse they received from Cabell just for leaving.

Queue the VLC parent haters who would love to talk and talk and talk. You don't believe that the Crabs owner has not been abusive toward players and families he does not like or who don't pay up for his showcase camps over other ones? Come on. I hope that if indeed there is an article coming it will be fair, but rather doubt it. Lots of people hate the Yankees too...count the Yankee rings.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gasp - 3 people out of the thousands that have gone through the program

It's a lot more than 3 people, buddy. Ask the multiple ADs who fired Cabell from previous jobs.

Last edited by CageSage; . Reason: Parent/Player Reference Removed
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Man, such hatred. Mr. Washingtonian Reporter, this is the tpye of response you will get from the people that troll this forum. Blind rage against people they don't know. I'm sure that will make for a fair article.

Perhaps, you should broaden the scope a bit and not focus on one team in one sport, but address the bigger problem across sports in general. The maniac coach is not specific to lacrosse. It's rampant in every sport - that would be an article I would read.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Man, such hatred. Mr. Washingtonian Reporter, this is the tpye of response you will get from the people that troll this forum. Blind rage against people they don't know. I'm sure that will make for a fair article.

Perhaps, you should broaden the scope a bit and not focus on one team in one sport, but address the bigger problem across sports in general. The maniac coach is not specific to lacrosse. It's rampant in every sport - that would be an article I would read.
When BOTC spoke with the reporter, he was seeking on or off-the record discussions with parents involved in the Maryland circuit and MaxLax. This was not meant to be an article about the "ills of youth sports" but rather a careful examination based on parent comments about the article and the program.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Then I would suggest that he go to the games, and talk to parents that don't spew hatred in internet forums.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Then I would suggest that he go to the games, and talk to parents that don't spew hatred in internet forums.

There are several parents who have spoken to him, parents who received the same treatment as Cabell, and they have the emails to prove it.

Keep defending a sinking ship. As long as he doesn't treat you and your kid it's ok, right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The only hatred was spewed by Cabell towards anyone who dared leave his program, including the kids he supposedly cares about.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is crazy is this seems to be a middle school boy. Absolutely nuts.

I don't care if this guy has coached thousands. His one email is enough to fire him, let alone the threatening second email.

Lacrosse, or any other sport, does need a guy like this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People are mean, the world is mean, life is mean, people do dumb things,he was mean to lots of people, he was mean to just one person, whats wrong with people today, save the children, your guy is mean also, Give up the people have been warned,
EVERYONE JUST TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN KID, NO LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN JUST WORDS ON A SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People are mean, the world is mean, life is mean, people do dumb things,he was mean to lots of people, he was mean to just one person, whats wrong with people today, save the children, your guy is mean also, Give up the people have been warned,
EVERYONE JUST TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN KID, NO LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN JUST WORDS ON A SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently it is more than one person. I played for a lot of tough coaches but I would not tolerate this as a parent. The family made a decision, for whatever reason, and the coach should move on.

Words on a screen can escalate; there is even a threat in his last message. You say take care of your own kid. In this case you need to get your kid away from this blow hard.,

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

God, you are an imbecile. There is a difference between a coach who is intense and yells, and one who threatens a family just for leaving for another club?

Who does that? I've known this guy for years, and this is why he gets fired from every coaching job he's ever gotten. He cannot act like an adult if his life depended on it. Your strawman argument is as weak as I've ever seen.

Hope you enjoy giving him $1000 a year just to be a part of his "academy".

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Moderator, I can tell by the writing style and the pure vindictiveness of the posts that the PP is the same person that has been kicked out of several other forums for bullying and badgering users. I suggest you do the same. It's evident by the posts in this thread and in the madlax one, the PP is way too involved - match the ip address and I'm sure you'll see a pattern. Furthermore, constant, repetitive insults are not something posters will tolerate for too long.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Moderator, I can tell by the writing style and the pure vindictiveness of the posts that the PP is the same person that has been kicked out of several other forums for bullying and badgering users. I suggest you do the same. It's evident by the posts in this thread and in the madlax one, the PP is way too involved - match the ip address and I'm sure you'll see a pattern. Furthermore, constant, repetitive insults are not something posters will tolerate for too long.
PP = previous poster? Which posts are you asserting are coming from the same individual?

We can tell you that the posts in this thread are coming from no less than twenty different domains. In other words, this thread has not become the single individual vindictive thread that you cite.

We appreciate your warning.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
PP = previous poster? Which posts are you asserting are coming from the same individual?

We can tell you that the posts in this thread are coming from no less than twenty different domains. In other words, this thread has not become the single individual vindictive thread that you cite.

We appreciate your warning.

This one:

"God, you are an imbecile. There is a difference between a coach who is intense and yells, and one who threatens a family just for leaving for another club?

Who does that? I've known this guy for years, and this is why he gets fired from every coaching job he's ever gotten. He cannot act like an adult if his life depended on it. Your strawman argument is as weak as I've ever seen.

Hope you enjoy giving him $1000 a year just to be a part of his "academy"."

Most of the posts end in a snarky remark like:

"as long as it's not your kid, right?"
"as long as your son isn't targeted, it's all good, right?"
"Keep defending a sinking ship. As long as he doesn't treat you and your kid it's ok, right?"

See a pattern. Same thing in other forums. The moderator eventually had to put an end to these incessant posts.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
This one:

"God, you are an imbecile. There is a difference between a coach who is intense and yells, and one who threatens a family just for leaving for another club?

Hope you enjoy giving him $1000 a year just to be a part of his "academy"."

Most of the posts end in a snarky remark like:

"as long as it's not your kid, right?"
"as long as your son isn't targeted, it's all good, right?"
"Keep defending a sinking ship. As long as he doesn't treat you and your kid it's ok, right?"

See a pattern. Same thing in other forums. The moderator eventually had to put an end to these incessant posts.
Well, the poster who provided that information has provided only that input to date. Again, thank you for your contribution.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did this article every get published?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really must be someone who just can believe this email story went away like all the people on here told him it would. Madlax is still going strong and Maddux is still doing his thing. People want to win and have there kids pushed to be better not this baby stuff that the world is pushing these days. Good day sir I said good day!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well if anyone can read this Deadspin and tell me why they had to bring up Madlax I would like to know. But at the end of the day it gets there name out there good or bad its allways good to have your name out there.
http://deadspin.com/why-rich-lacrosse-parents-are-making-their-kids-repeat-1570381983

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because the kid who left Madlax (and was ripped for doing so by the club's owner) is a reclassified kid.

You really think the bad publicity surrounding Madlax is good? Guess you haven't noticed the Madlax kids who've switched to other clubs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Because the kid who left Madlax (and was ripped for doing so by the club's owner) is a reclassified kid.

You really think the bad publicity surrounding Madlax is good? Guess you haven't noticed the Madlax kids who've switched to other clubs.

Which kids switched?

NPYLL
U15 AA and A are dominating while VLC stinks
U13 AA dominating, A doing fine while VLC stinks
U11 AA third while VLC can't field a team

FUZE has to play in HoCo League and they aren't even good in that

So where did the kids switch to?

Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE

Reclassified? Just say redshirt high school student.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard