10/18/11 10:40 AM
10/18/11 10:40 AM
C
CageSage Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
C

Several of our BOTC Threads have drifted into a discussion of tryout fees assessed when players are considering new clubs. Unlike Long Island's Youth Soccer scene, the local Lacrosse scene routinely assesses fees ranging from $25.00 to in excess of $100.00 with most clubs around the $50.00 mark.

Some of those in favor of these fees mention that it guarantees a higher quality tryout experience since the evaluation is more like a pure training session. Forcing all of the players at a tryout to share the cost of staging the event (as opposed to only accepted players picking up the cost) has also been cited as a reason for these tryout fees.

The arguments against tryout fees are more easily identified. From "open tryouts" where teams have already been selected to viewing tryouts as a fund raiser, for-profit tryouts impose a consumer fee for unknown gains.

So, BOTC would like to know your views. Are you comfortable with tryout fees? If so, what do you consider acceptable pricing? Would you consider more clubs and tryouts if the fees were lowered? What services do you expect as a result of attending a tryout? Do you think there should be more transparancy in the selection process?

Please offer your views on these questions and others related to "Tryout Fees".

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: CageSage] #4631
10/18/11 10:56 AM
10/18/11 10:56 AM
S
sectionxi Offline
Back of THE CAGE
sectionxi  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
S

I have no problem with a try-out fee especially when the try-out is run like a training session. Some of my sons tyy-outs have been excellent workouts , much better than some of the camps he has attended. Colleges charge an application fee that you do not get back even if denied.If the fee is too high then do not sign up.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: CageSage] #4632
10/18/11 11:49 AM
10/18/11 11:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is a huge difference in passing on the cost of the try-out and making a profit off the try-out. Anything more than $20 is just fundraising for the team.

Transparency is a bigger issue. Are there really any open slots on a particular team for a “new” boy. How are the players ranked, by who and what are the results? This is important information. At the very minimum, a parent or player should receive a score card. A ranking compared to the competition. Maybe some take aways on what was done well and what needs to be worked on.

Last year’s players are very often given a boost up the chart, especially for the players on or near the bubble.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: CageSage] #4634
10/18/11 12:03 PM
10/18/11 12:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

(as opposed to only accepted players picking up the cost) has also been cited as a reason for these tryout fees.
If you do the simple math 900 participants for a weekend x $50.00 = $45,000.00 looks like a potential profit. Did the cost of the clubs go up or down? UP As a consumer are you getting less for your money? Helmets, gloves, bags etc...
In my opinion we are getting less and paying more.

Are you comfortable with tryout fees? No, just like I'm not comfortable paying taxes. I think in order to cover costs $25.00 is probably more than enough. We do not need pinnies, they should have gatorade for the kids instead.

Would you consider more clubs and tryouts if the fees were lowered? I would have to say yes. I would also have to admit that if at the end of a tryout he was told he made it, that would probably be the team we went with. Than there would be no need for another tryout.

What services do you expect as a result of attending a tryout? I expect my son to be fairly evaluated. I would also like to have a copy of that evaluation so that he knows what he needs to work on, what are his weaknesses and strengths.

Do you think there should be more transparancy in the selection process?Absolutely, if there are only 5 spots on a particular team than let me know that. If you have told 10 kids they have a spot but at the tryouts you tell us there are 20 spots than we are getting lied too. Just tell us, I think most parents understand that all 20 spots are not open for a particular team.

As long as we continue to bring our kids to theses tryouts they will continue to hold them and charge us. Most likely, more than the year before.
The town team is a lot cheaper and no tryouts. Your son than has to play with the coaches son and a host of other kids that cannot catch and throw. To me the xtra money that I'm spending is worth getting away from little Johnny and his dad(Super Coach) In order to give my son the ability to play with kids that are just as good and hopefully better than he is.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: sectionxi] #4636
10/18/11 12:13 PM
10/18/11 12:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey genius......big difference between college fees and girls lacrosse team tryout fees.... where is yur head at?

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4644
10/18/11 02:08 PM
10/18/11 02:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My experience was that I took my son to express tryout (first tryout in his age) and he made Orange, so i did not go to any other tryouts and that was my plan all along, if 91 or fl$ was first and the made one of those he would have played for them, tryout was very well run as I heard 91 was as well. so $75 for a single two day tryout was OK, you don't want a pinnie from a team that cuts you or you choose not to pay for. If the tryout had been free a lot more kids would have shown up and if 91 and fl$ was free we still would not have tried out because we had already deposited with Express.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4645
10/18/11 02:09 PM
10/18/11 02:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

None of the legitimate clubs in the Mid Atlantic charge fees to tryout. By not charging fees, the club is trying to get a look at every compelling kid in the area. When a club charges tryout fees, its interests are not aligned with the parents.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4647
10/18/11 02:19 PM
10/18/11 02:19 PM
91 Orange Dad Offline
Back of THE CAGE
91 Orange Dad  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

No problem with paying fees for try outs. Team 91 charged $50 and to me, that's reasonable. Don't think I'd pay $75 or $125 just because of the name of the team. I just ask that my kid get a fair chance to be seen in the drills and scrimmages. It's up to him once he's on the field. I think to ask for a evaluation form of your kids strengths and weaknesses is missing the point. It's a try out for open spots, not an evaluation session. The teams are there to find the best kids with the limited time they have to see them. If you want an evaluation, get him into a camp or training where it will be provided.

I try not to worry about any particular team's ecomonics because it's not my business what they are making or not making. I'm also looking at the yearly fees and what my kid will get in return as far as the number/quality of tournaments, coaching credentials, gear, practices, etc. To me, that's were the real value comes into the equation.

One thing I learned early on is that even though you are trying out for a team, you'd be foolish to think that every spot on every team was open. The teams go into the season with a list of kids they want or who have already been offered spots. The number of slots open per team is anyones guess and I'm sure changes year to year. If your kid has a good try out, they will find a place for him. Maybe not on the team you want, but they offer to have him in the organization.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: 91 Orange Dad] #4658
10/18/11 04:38 PM
10/18/11 04:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Top Gun was a fund raiser. Let's see about liberty and YJ

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: 91 Orange Dad] #4666
10/18/11 05:28 PM
10/18/11 05:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's as simple as this:
If I am the owner/operator (which I'm not) of a club that is percieved as successful, people will want to join my club. If the teams that are in my organization are made up talented players, then likely only a few kids trying out are likely to be offered roster spots. The spots on the roster are sought after and in demand and therefore worth something. There are costs involved to run these try out, but there also seems to be some club making money on top of that, so long as they draw in players at try outs the system works. If the club is not that desireable and the price of try outs is too high, no one will show up and the club will be put out of bussiness. People remember, these teams your kids play on are businesses. If they are good business people they will make money wherever they can. They have to be careful not to turn off players with high tryout costs or it all comes crashing down. The only thing we can do to reduce try out fees is to not show up to them in numbers. By the turn out at some club you might expect even higher fees next year. I doubt complaining about high fees on an internet message board will have any effect on driving down the fees.

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4667
10/18/11 05:53 PM
10/18/11 05:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Liberty requires you to pay $450 at tryout. If your daughter is not selected they refund your money. Ridiculous.

My niece is on Top Guns. $35 tryout, which is resonable. Remember, the club still has to pay for equipment.

fl$ charged an outrageous $125 which is why the turnout was a joke. Most of the girls were siblings of boys that currently play. I heard every girl that showed up made a team.

I'll stick with PAL here in GC for my 6th grader for another year, great program and the girls have fun. Just my opinion, but I think that's more important than walking around with a $1400 (plus tournament/hotels) bag.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4669
10/18/11 07:15 PM
10/18/11 07:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Top Gun was a fund raiser. Let's see about liberty and YJ

Everyone has an opinion, I saw the topgun tryout as a very thourough evaluation process that sorted out the talent very well. Then they were not afraid to shake up the rosters to accommodate new talent, good to see. It could be looked at as a fund raiser due to the number of kids compared to actual roster spots, not everyone is going to make it.

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4671
10/18/11 07:28 PM
10/18/11 07:28 PM
429lax Offline
Back of THE CAGE
429lax  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

I think it is a good idea to have a tryout fee. $50.00 or under is a bargain. Pinnies, fields and evaluators cost money. Pinnies are absolutely necessary for the evaluators to do their job correctly and I've never met a player who did not want one.

To me, the toughest part of the tryout is making the commitment within 48 hours of the invitation. This might be a whole new thread, but I would like to hear what others think about this. On one side you have the players wanting to check out a couple of teams while the Clubs need answers right away to move on down the list and fill their rosters. What is fair? Clubs that have multiple teams in the same grade are filling a need for a lot of players. But with all the choices it takes players time to decide. Do the Clubs only institute the 48 hour rule for the top team? Top 2 teams?

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4674
10/18/11 08:03 PM
10/18/11 08:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Liberty requires you to pay $450 at tryout. If your daughter is not selected they refund your money. Ridiculous.

My niece is on Top Guns. $35 tryout, which is resonable. Remember, the club still has to pay for equipment.

fl$ charged an outrageous $125 which is why the turnout was a joke. Most of the girls were siblings of boys that currently play. I heard every girl that showed up made a team.

I'll stick with PAL here in GC for my 6th grader for another year, great program and the girls have fun. Just my opinion, but I think that's more important than walking around with a $1400 (plus tournament/hotels) bag.

GC PAL? Seriously!

Reply Quote
Re: What's Your View? Tryout Fees [Re: Anonymous] #4675
10/18/11 08:26 PM
10/18/11 08:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

not from GC. But record speaks for itself