SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#44654 - 10/10/13 10:11 PM Money Grab Lax...is it all too much?  
The Hop Offline
User
The Hop  Offline
User

With all the clinics and tournaments all the time will our kids be burned out before they even get to HS?

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#44664 - 10/11/13 07:50 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: The Hop]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Steppin'Out
With all the clinics and tournaments all the time will our kids be burned out before they even get to HS?

A percentage of them will be yes.

Top Reply Quote
#44668 - 10/11/13 08:03 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: The Hop]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bet a lot of them will be. Kids need a break - both physically and mentally. I'd rather raise a well-rounded, average level lacrosse player than a superstar who missed out on playing other sports, participating in school activities, not being able to hang out with their friends, etc. because lax was the be all, end all. Remember, only a tiny fraction of HS players play in college and even less go pro - none on the girls side. Make sure they're playing because they want to, not because somebody else thinks they need to. I want my kids to look back on their childhood with no regrets.

Top Reply Quote
#44671 - 10/11/13 08:13 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous

A percentage of them will be yes.

You don't have to do everything. Pick and choose what to do... don't get caught up keeping up.

Top Reply Quote
#44676 - 10/11/13 08:29 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cant let them play year round. Encourage them to play other sports. They NEED time off from lax. Too much pressure on these kids to play year round. Too many kids giving up on other sports to play lax year round. Its not healthy.

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#44693 - 10/11/13 09:12 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most college coaches I have spoken with prefer a kid who has played at least 1 other sport , the reasons they give are varied ie. Basketball , soccer helps them with game sense and vision or a kid who has only concentrated on lacrosse year round may have maxed their potential while another kid who plays other sports may not have yet.

Top Reply Quote
#44725 - 10/11/13 12:42 PM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most college coaches I have spoken with prefer a kid who has played at least 1 other sport , the reasons they give are varied ie. Basketball , soccer helps them with game sense and vision or a kid who has only concentrated on lacrosse year round may have maxed their potential while another kid who plays other sports may not have yet.

Not true, visited 5 top schools recently and all they cared about was lax. That is the sport they are recruiting.

Top Reply Quote
#44737 - 10/11/13 02:11 PM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I heard just the opposite they want you to play at least two. They don't want any kids that are going to get burnt out.They want kids they can develop.

Top Reply Quote
#44739 - 10/11/13 02:32 PM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

They want the best players. end of story

Top Reply Quote
#44763 - 10/11/13 08:17 PM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best players TRUE, but. all things being equal, two "best" players apply and one plays other sports, he is getting the job...period

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#44769 - 10/11/13 10:08 PM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's not forget many of these opportunities to play year round are not good for our kids. Many are just playing on the parents emotions and convincing them they need to play year round to "make it". Look at how many there are now. They are multiplying exponentially. Some proven ones are good but there are many that are poorly run by unqualified people strictly to make money. I know this happens in any free market system but it's fairly new to lacrosse. Simple said...beware.

Top Reply Quote
#44789 - 10/12/13 10:28 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's not forget many of these opportunities to play year round are not good for our kids. Many are just playing on the parents emotions and convincing them they need to play year round to "make it". Look at how many there are now. They are multiplying exponentially. Some proven ones are good but there are many that are poorly run by unqualified people strictly to make money. I know this happens in any free market system but it's fairly new to lacrosse. Simple said...beware.

I would say this is happening in lots of sports. My kids and their friends all seem to be playing soccer, hockey, lacrosse, basketball year round. If your kid, bows out of a season,, or even a month of training, the coaches often make it seem like they will fall behind... in some cases they may, but in most cases they will not and will have a better spirit for taking time off, and hopefully playing another sport that will keep them conditioned. You have to follow your kid and listen to them and encourage them to listen to their body as well. Kids can burn out mentally and physically. I think a lot of people are forgetting the bigger picture- these kids need to study, as well as rest- they will not all be professional athletes.

Top Reply Quote
#44852 - 10/14/13 06:03 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would say this is happening in lots of sports. My kids and their friends all seem to be playing soccer, hockey, lacrosse, basketball year round. If your kid, bows out of a season,, or even a month of training, the coaches often make it seem like they will fall behind... in some cases they may, but in most cases they will not and will have a better spirit for taking time off, and hopefully playing another sport that will keep them conditioned. You have to follow your kid and listen to them and encourage them to listen to their body as well. Kids can burn out mentally and physically. I think a lot of people are forgetting the bigger picture- these kids need to study, as well as rest- they will not all be professional athletes.

Burnout is real in today's youth sports. It comes from doing too much of the same thing and anxiety on playing on specific team. I support my kids doing all of this year, but I also leave up to them. So it is not too much as long as we are on top things. Money grab...yes - but case-by-case. I would say buyer beware.

Top Reply Quote
#44867 - 10/14/13 10:15 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  
klmada Offline
Back of THE CAGE
klmada  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Just recently I backed my son off of going full speed lax all the time and gave him about a month and a half off before he started playing again. He looks great and he looks like he is revitalized and more focused and energized when hes playing. I think the time off really helped him. I think the more different sports they play the better and I would say definitely pick and choose the showcase/tournaments and clinics they are doing. It can all be too much. They need to time to relax and be kids. Its unreal how every day a new clinic/showcase and/or tournament shows up.

Top Reply Quote
#44871 - 10/14/13 10:59 AM Re: Money Grab Lax...is it all too much? [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not true, visited 5 top schools recently and all they cared about was lax. That is the sport they are recruiting.

Funny because every top program we visited the coaches could not have been happier my kid also plays basketball and each one told me they recruit the best athletes they can . Maybe they mold their words around who they have at the campus at the time.

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Jersey Girl's Challenge (May 5th)
Christian Koehler Tournament
Harding Battle By The Bay
Harding Summer Sunset