BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,318
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 119 of 327 1 2 117 118 119 120 121 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not to go off topic but I was just on YJ website it's pretty sad that the 2015 class have just as many commits then the 2014 class already. What happen to all the gold players did the reality finally set in they were just another check and they don't have a chance to play on a team in college other then club...maybe this will start the trend of not just writing a check and allowing your kid to play on the fourth team to benefit CR wallet...look what she got ya...nothing!!!! Wake up people stop just putting $$ in her pocket out of two gold teams there are about 7 commits out of about 50 kids....really sad

I must be missing something or are you really just a moron.
Look at the lists again I see 17 commits from the 2015 age group and 48 commits from the 2014 on YJ website.Yes there are some commits missing from both lists but "as many" just makes it seem like you are trying to start trouble.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They obviously lost and you are obviously a complete tool , yes I am a TG parent whos kid played with coach K and I would guarantee you if he finds out who you are your sad little child will be gone.Act as if you have won a game before and shut up.Wow we took a team of 9 TG black kids and beat a team of 15 YJ kids who may or may not be on their top team.How did our 2018 TG team do when they played our 2019 TG team at Hofstra , a complete spanking. That being said in a summer game on full fields with a complete 2018 TG black team the 2019s would not stand a chance.Grow up.

So what happened at hofstra? 2018 blk lost to 2019?

I do not remember the exact score but something like 12-2 sounds about correct.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not to go off topic but I was just on YJ website it's pretty sad that the 2015 class have just as many commits then the 2014 class already. What happen to all the gold players did the reality finally set in they were just another check and they don't have a chance to play on a team in college other then club...maybe this will start the trend of not just writing a check and allowing your kid to play on the fourth team to benefit CR wallet...look what she got ya...nothing!!!! Wake up people stop just putting $$ in her pocket out of two gold teams there are about 7 commits out of about 50 kids....really sad

So true! But she will make sure that she lists all of the championships and finalists teams she has. In some cases they list a team as a finalist and they did not even make the semi finals of the listed tournament.

Please enlighten us which listing is in error.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am NOT A FAN however be fair, there will be a place for every single one of these players to play in college if they want. Might be a low ranked small low level D1 school. Or a D2 school with a $2,500 scholorship or a D3 team. But maybe just maybe, some kids have not settled and are going to a better academic school and leaving lacrosse behind rather then go to the ACME college just to say the played college lacrosse.

Well said. Go to the best academic school and play lacrosse. several pages back there is a discussion about playing for a lesser D1 school with terrible academics versus getting into a great school in D3. Sure there is money to be had at D1 and you can look back at some of the D1 schools and laugh at the tuition versus the school. Bottom line is after four years of school lacrosse is over and life begins; a school with better academics and a strong alumni is going to be more important.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am NOT A FAN however be fair, there will be a place for every single one of these players to play in college if they want. Might be a low ranked small low level D1 school. Or a D2 school with a $2,500 scholorship or a D3 team. But maybe just maybe, some kids have not settled and are going to a better academic school and leaving lacrosse behind rather then go to the ACME college just to say the played college lacrosse.

Well said. Go to the best academic school and play lacrosse. several pages back there is a discussion about playing for a lesser D1 school with terrible academics versus getting into a great school in D3. Sure there is money to be had at D1 and you can look back at some of the D1 schools and laugh at the tuition versus the school. Bottom line is after four years of school lacrosse is over and life begins; a school with better academics and a strong alumni is going to be more important.

How about going to the school where the kid would have the best experience and therefore be the happiest, which may not be the best lax school or the best academic school.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Going to the best academic school you can get into is definitely not the answer in many situations.Pick the school that best fits you,ie. a school with kids and coaches you like, a school that is the right distance from home for you,a school with the weather you like, a school that is the size you want , the list goes on and on.Many if not most schools have honors programs so if the academics in general are not up to your standards that's a possibility. If you are planning on going to graduate school you may sometimes be better going to a school you can flourish at then to a school that may be very difficult academically.There is way more to it than go to a school that you would not have gotten into without lacrosse. Yes we all get there is something to you need to plan for life after lacrosse but there is also something to be said about following your dream, if that dream is winning a national title so be it.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Going to the best academic school you can get into is definitely not the answer in many situations.Pick the school that best fits you,ie. a school with kids and coaches you like, a school that is the right distance from home for you,a school with the weather you like, a school that is the size you want , the list goes on and on.Many if not most schools have honors programs so if the academics in general are not up to your standards that's a possibility. If you are planning on going to graduate school you may sometimes be better going to a school you can flourish at then to a school that may be very difficult academically.There is way more to it than go to a school that you would not have gotten into without lacrosse. Yes we all get there is something to you need to plan for life after lacrosse but there is also something to be said about following your dream, if that dream is winning a national title so be it.
An excellent and well balanced post - thank you for sharing your perspective. I would like to contribute one additional point worth considering.

As mentioned previously here on BOTC, my coaching career saw me place my regional and national players in their chosen NCAA Division I, II, and III schools in soccer. One of my players attended Sacred Heart University on an extensive athletic and academic scholarship resulting in virtually no cost to her family for her undergraduate career.

During her studies, this well-rounded young lady decided that she would major in Biology and subsequently study towards a Physician's Assistant degree. Despite a 3.6 undergraduate GPA, she was rejected from many of her chosen graduate schools and has enrolled in a program which is seen as academically weak in her discipline with no other options available.

Why are we sharing this story? With less out-of-college employment, competition for graduate school positions, particularly in health care trades, is increasing. Before recommending a softer academic institution, be very aware of what doors that college can open - or close - for you in your next steps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree and have encouraged my daughter to attend a school that will put her in the best position for grad school. However, your story leaves out the fact that most PA programs nationwide now have roughly 1500-1800 applications annually for approximately 50 seats. This leaves out many over-qualified students from acceptance and is strictly a function of capacity. The same is now true for PT programs also. My point is that it may have nothing to do with the rigor of their undergrad program and may strictly be numbers. A 3.6 is a fantastic undergrad GPA and SHOULD be enough, but with the nature of acceptance these days into health professions, it is not.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I agree and have encouraged my daughter to attend a school that will put her in the best position for grad school. However, your story leaves out the fact that most PA programs nationwide now have roughly 1500-1800 applications annually for approximately 50 seats. This leaves out many over-qualified students from acceptance and is strictly a function of capacity. The same is now true for PT programs also. My point is that it may have nothing to do with the rigor of their undergrad program and may strictly be numbers. A 3.6 is a fantastic undergrad GPA and SHOULD be enough, but with the nature of acceptance these days into health professions, it is not.
Yes, a 3.6 GPA is an excellent score however the curriculum at Sacred Heart University (SAT Two-Way Admission Average = 1000 Combined) is viewed as inferior.

Hence, her "free" college experience left this talented student short when it came to getting into a named graduate school. [Side Note : One of the schools with a strong PA program that waitlisted this candidate was indeed Hofstra University.] Free is not always free.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Yes, a 3.6 GPA is an excellent score however the curriculum at Sacred Heart University (SAT Two-Way Admission Average = 1000 Combined) is viewed as inferior.

Hence, her "free" college experience left this talented student short when it came to getting into a named graduate school. [Side Note : One of the schools with a strong PA program that waitlisted this candidate was indeed Hofstra University.] Free is not always free.

Might be the best post ever! Although Sacred Heart is very far from the bottom of the barrel, it truly illustrates that if playing sports and going for free are your two top criteria you might be faced with a similer situation. Again there is definitly a place for everyone to play in college, but at what long term cost??

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are 6-10 schools on the YJ commitment homepage for 14 and 15 that start taking kids with a 900 2 part SAT.

Those are the ones where kids might be trading down academically. Are the kids going for school or going so they can keep playing to justify all the money they put in over the years to the travel process. The sacred Heart case study above is eye opening

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is another point of view from a business owner...
I do not necessarily weigh the undergraduate degree nearly as much as the graduate. News to many but the corporate world will tell you it almost doesn't matter WHERE you get your BA from it matters how well you performed in it's quest. I weigh your Masters degree school of choice far more. My advice is to do your best to graduate with as little debt from your undergrad program and spend your money on your grad work. This means "take the offer with the most to offer". I know there will be those who do not agree with this approach and that's fine, but if you check with corporate HR's and head hunters it will prove to be valuable.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Could a current YJ parent tell me when they release the teams. Do they do it soon after tryouts? Or do they wait until all tryouts (all age groups) are completed? Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THey wait until all tryouts are completed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
last year 2014-2019 teams posted mid november after the last fall tournament...the 2020/2021's did not try out until first week of December (indoors) and I believe they posted those soon after the tryouts....The first week of the new year is when you register for your spot on the team and a final roster comes out sometime mid to end of January...Hope that helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a tryot fee for 2021's?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It helps. Thanks for the info.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
last year 2014-2019 teams posted mid november after the last fall tournament...the 2020/2021's did not try out until first week of December (indoors) and I believe they posted those soon after the tryouts....The first week of the new year is when you register for your spot on the team and a final roster comes out sometime mid to end of January...Hope that helps.

YJ should get to the try outs as soon as the summer season is over, I like the way TGs do that right away. Then you can start practicing and fall balling with your actual teammates.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
problem is you pay before you really know your final roster which sometimes has some surprises both with different players and huge numbers. Buyer beware!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]last year 2014-2019 teams posted mid november after the last fall tournament...the 2020/2021's did not try out until first week of December (indoors) and I believe they posted those soon after the tryouts....The first week of the new year is when you register for your spot on the team and a final roster comes out sometime mid to end of January...Hope that helps.

Did they post the rosters a little later last year due to hurricane Sandy? Or is it normally a 3 to 4 week wait?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe it was due to Sandy. One grade level's tryout was cancelled and rescheduled due to the impending storm which hit later that day/night.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a tryot fee for 2021's?

That's funny

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
problem is you pay before you really know your final roster which sometimes has some surprises both with different players and huge numbers. Buyer beware!

That's the problem with all these clubs, they all are looking to cash in with 24plus on the roster. The teams would actually play stronger without the weaker sub lines.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is another point of view from a business owner...
I do not necessarily weigh the undergraduate degree nearly as much as the graduate. News to many but the corporate world will tell you it almost doesn't matter WHERE you get your BA from it matters how well you performed in it's quest. I weigh your Masters degree school of choice far more. My advice is to do your best to graduate with as little debt from your undergrad program and spend your money on your grad work. This means "take the offer with the most to offer". I know there will be those who do not agree with this approach and that's fine, but if you check with corporate HR's and head hunters it will prove to be valuable.

I have to disagree with you and I'm in the corporate finance/law field.

The corporate world and the federal government (FBI, CIA, NSA type) care where you graduated from. The strong alumni from certain schools also count as well. They send their headhunters to these schools and these schools monopolize internships.

For example, from a SUNY perspective, my firm (and others) don't even look unless it is Geneseo, Binghamton or Buffalo.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
For example, from a SUNY perspective, my firm (and others) don't even look unless it is Geneseo, Binghamton or Buffalo.
Interesting since this would mean that you are omitting the highest ranking SUNY school on the US News and World Reports National Ranking.

Just to be clear, if you are considering schools in the Top 30 Nationally, none of these options are even close. Our point is that the discussion can be about the strongest national universities (Top 30), the top state university school systems, or the best value for money in public and private institutions. Rarely will you be able to intersect all three of these criteria.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting since this would mean that you are omitting the highest ranking SUNY school on the US News and World Reports National Ranking.

Just to be clear, if you are considering schools in the Top 30 Nationally, none of these options are even close. Our point is that the discussion can be about the strongest national universities (Top 30), the top state university school systems, or the best value for money in public and private institutions. Rarely will you be able to intersect all three of these criteria.

Let's put it this way. I think it's smarter to go to a school that will pay for your education through an athletic scholarship, work hard to get great grades and graduate debt free. After you graduate you are in the drivers seat meaning you can backpack through Europe or begin graduate school at any school you choose because you can now afford it. Some kids go to name brand schools with enormous tuition only to graduate with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. Why? Today's market looks at the grad school diploma and the achievements made along the way. No debt, great grades and lots of playing time result in a stress frees start to the rest of your life upon graduation which is what all parents want for their kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let's put it this way. I think it's smarter to go to a school that will pay for your education through an athletic scholarship, work hard to get great grades and graduate debt free. After you graduate you are in the drivers seat meaning you can backpack through Europe or begin graduate school at any school you choose because you can now afford it. Some kids go to name brand schools with enormous tuition only to graduate with hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. Why? Today's market looks at the grad school diploma and the achievements made along the way. No debt, great grades and lots of playing time result in a stress frees start to the rest of your life upon graduation which is what all parents want for their kids.

"Pay for your education through an athletic scholarship" - you actually wrote that? You are drinking the YJ kool aid too much. The "full ride" does not exist. Heard the YJ's are switching mascots to the unicorn to be more realistic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter is a YJ 2014 and between athletic and academic, which are roughly equal, she will get about 92% of her tuition paid for, so please don't say it can't happen. And the school she is attending is a top-ranked school (top 10%) for placing students in graduate school. So please don't make gross generalizations about individual situations.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
My daughter is a YJ 2014 and between athletic and academic, which are roughly equal, she will get about 92% of her tuition paid for, so please don't say it can't happen. And the school she is attending is a top-ranked school (top 10%) for placing students in graduate school. So please don't make gross generalizations about individual situations.
Without naming the institution, this contribution means absolutely nothing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Without naming the institution, this contribution means absolutely nothing.

46% Academic and 46% Athletic (roughly), please tell us the school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Frankly Cage, I am shocked that you would ask me to post identifying information for a child. Clearly her name is linked to this school on the YJ website and I would rather that not everyone who trolls this site know our financial details. Suffice it to say that the school has a 97% acceptance rate for their grads into med and law school, are in the top 5 of graduation rate for their athletes and have a two-part SAT requirement in the mid 1200s. If you would like to go through the task of triangulating that information to figure it out, go right ahead. My point was to say that there is athletic money out there and it is not only for lower-tiered institutions. That's all. No need to have a totally nasty response to my original post.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Frankly Cage, I am shocked that you would ask me to post identifying information for a child. Clearly her name is linked to this school on the YJ website and I would rather that not everyone who trolls this site know our financial details. Suffice it to say that the school has a 97% acceptance rate for their grads into med and law school, are in the top 5 of graduation rate for their athletes and have a two-part SAT requirement in the mid 1200s. If you would like to go through the task of triangulating that information to figure it out, go right ahead. My point was to say that there is athletic money out there and it is not only for lower-tiered institutions. That's all. No need to have a totally nasty response to my original post.
Frankly Poster, I am shocked that you would advertise information about your family's financial situation without offering to back up your facts with the school name.

If your child and her school are on another web site, she has already been identified. Actually, what shocks you is that BOTC caught you with your hand in the cookie-jar bragging about the details and now you want to back way from the limelight.

We said that your post meant nothing. BOTC stands by that view. Put it this way : what exactly is another parent or student-athlete to do with your information? BOTC walks away with the impression that academics are more important than athletics which is the message that we have been stressing to the community over and over again.

Posters are quick to offer the "full-ride evidence" until they are asked to identify the school. Only then do the privacy bars get installed - after the bragging is completed, of course.

The problem we have in youth sports is that parents include academic, grant, and financial aid information in their "full-ride" description, giving the impression that athletics were the key to the scholarship. This might serve the purpose of the clubs, but does not serve the community well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the above poster is telling the truth it will be the extreme exception and NOT the norm. Congratulations on a great institution, great HS grades and having a great player.

Not many at all can claim all three so dont lecture everyone else like it happens every day. IT DOESN'T

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Frankly Poster, I am shocked that you would advertise information about your family's financial situation without offering to back up your facts with the school name.

If your child and her school are on another web site, she has already been identified. Actually, what shocks you is that BOTC caught you with your hand in the cookie-jar bragging about the details and now you want to back way from the limelight.

We said that your post meant nothing. BOTC stands by that view. Put it this way : what exactly is another parent or student-athlete to do with your information? BOTC walks away with the impression that academics are more important than athletics which is the message that we have been stressing to the community over and over again.

Posters are quick to offer the "full-ride evidence" until they are asked to identify the school. Only then do the privacy bars get installed - after the bragging is completed, of course.

The problem we have in youth sports is that parents include academic, grant, and financial aid information in their "full-ride" description, giving the impression that athletics were the key to the scholarship. This might serve the purpose of the clubs, but does not serve the community well.
lets call a spade, a spade. The poster wasn't bragging . The poster was lying.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you are referring to SUNY Stony Brook it is not considered the best SUNY in the finance/law area--I was speaking from that point of view. Great school in other areas though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Big deal, all players from YJ are getting at least that or more at even better colleges.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good comments.

A YJ parent, a good friend, showed me the breakdown for their daughter's financial package for the U of MI. The lacrosse portion was almost 10% of the aid; the balance was academic, financial assistance based on parent income and the balance was a loan. A good portion of the tuition was paid, but overall the athletic scholarship was 6-7% of the total.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think the point being made is what some call the "Woodstock Phenomenon"--meaning the number of people who claimed to go far exceeds the number who actually went. So when the moderator hears so many almost 100% "free rides" for lacrosse he knows it is not the case. The moderator wants to be far and educate those who have athletes that want to pursue lacrosse at the collegiate level. All the moderator is saying is that what is usually a good financial package consists of many components, one of which is an athletic scholarship. The balance of "the package" comes from other tuition assistance.

There are only 12 total scholarship opportunities per team (so 3 per year if even out). The average scholarship, per the NCAA, is 33% of tuition. The balance of money comes from academic and financial needs. So if your athlete gets hurt and can't play they will most likely lose the athletic scholarship because the school will use it for a healthy athlete.

A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Big deal, all players from YJ are getting at least that or more at even better colleges.

When you say "all" you mean from their top team. As a whole, from top team to bottom team, it is probably less than 50%. And as the moderator has stated, the financial package is not all athletic scholarship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think the point being made is what some call the "Woodstock Phenomenon"--meaning the number of people who claimed to go far exceeds the number who actually went. So when the moderator hears so many almost 100% "free rides" for lacrosse he knows it is not the case. The moderator wants to be far and educate those who have athletes
that want to pursue lacrosse at the collegiate level. All the moderator is saying is that what is usually a good financial package consists of many components, one of which is an athletic scholarship. The balance of "the package" comes from other tuition assistance.

There are only 12 total scholarship opportunities per team (so 3 per year if even out). The average scholarship, per the NCAA, is 33% of tuition. The balance of money comes from academic and financial needs. So if your athlete gets hurt and can't play they will most likely lose the athletic scholarship because the school will use it for a healthy athlete.

A

That is totally not true as far as an athlete getting hurt and losing their scholarship. Probably every division 1 & 2 university will have an athlete who suffers a season ending injury. They do not lose their athletic scholarship if they get hurt!

Like Reply Quote
Page 119 of 327 1 2 117 118 119 120 121 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard