BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 70 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm so happy I don't have a son in the class of 2017. You people are sick!

So why are you trolling this forum sicko?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You people up in Long Island are obsessed with age. We have played against this kid many times down here in Maryland. What makes him an excellent player is not his age , it is that he has an MIAA style game with an incredible stick. It took that kid years of hard work to get that. It is not something that magically happens when you turn 15.

What magically happens when you turn 15 is youre bigger, stronger and faster than the 13 and 14 year olds your playing against so you look like a much better player than you really are. Get it?

You people down in MD are obsessed with manipulating the system to your advantage. I have to agree with the previous poster that a year makes a huge difference at 15, boys change dramatically from year to year at that age. An extra year of growth is huge, esspecially if you have the skill set to back it up! The % of kids older than the average for their school year being recruited early is proof, statistically significant. Lets call it what it is.....UNFAIR advantage!!

Just to put a fine point on it - Jake Reed said 82 out of the 120 kids at this summer's Jake Reed Rising Freshman Camp (2017s) were a year older than what a typical 2017s age would imply. My son was there and is normal age, but I must be the idiot as so many kids are being held back.

For those of you who are mathematically challenged in MD and PA, that's nearly 70 PERCENT of all the kids that made Jake Reed were a year or more older. Really? That is so shocking. I can't imagine that a year or more of physical maturity would make a difference in athletics. What are the chances?
When will respected people in this sport step up and right this disgraceful wrong??? I challenge folks like Reed and others to stop fueling this sitation and go to an age based system for their camps. This way, everyone is on an even playing field. Additionally, college coaches will actually get a better representation of the players abilities are against competition their own age. A win-win for everyone. I further challenge US Lacrosse and tournament organizers to enforce strict age rules. Further, LI clubs should band together and keep our teams away from tournaments that do not go by these rules. When you cut off the cash flow, you'll get people's attention. Also, parents, demand from your teams that they only play verified age based tournaments. Those teams that want to play up, should obviously be free to do so. This has got to be stopped. NO OTHER SPORT OPERATES LIKE THIS!

Team Long Island is age based.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You people up in Long Island are obsessed with age. We have played against this kid many times down here in Maryland. What makes him an excellent player is not his age , it is that he has an MIAA style game with an incredible stick. It took that kid years of hard work to get that. It is not something that magically happens when you turn 15.

What magically happens when you turn 15 is youre bigger, stronger and faster than the 13 and 14 year olds your playing against so you look like a much better player than you really are. Get it?

You people down in MD are obsessed with manipulating the system to your advantage. I have to agree with the previous poster that a year makes a huge difference at 15, boys change dramatically from year to year at that age. An extra year of growth is huge, esspecially if you have the skill set to back it up! The % of kids older than the average for their school year being recruited early is proof, statistically significant. Lets call it what it is.....UNFAIR advantage!!

Just to put a fine point on it - Jake Reed said 82 out of the 120 kids at this summer's Jake Reed Rising Freshman Camp (2017s) were a year older than what a typical 2017s age would imply. My son was there and is normal age, but I must be the idiot as so many kids are being held back.

For those of you who are mathematically challenged in MD and PA, that's nearly 70 PERCENT of all the kids that made Jake Reed were a year or more older. Really? That is so shocking. I can't imagine that a year or more of physical maturity would make a difference in athletics. What are the chances?
When will respected people in this sport step up and right this disgraceful wrong??? I challenge folks like Reed and others to stop fueling this sitation and go to an age based system for their camps. This way, everyone is on an even playing field. Additionally, college coaches will actually get a better representation of the players abilities are against competition their own age. A win-win for everyone. I further challenge US Lacrosse and tournament organizers to enforce strict age rules. Further, LI clubs should band together and keep our teams away from tournaments that do not go by these rules. When you cut off the cash flow, you'll get people's attention. Also, parents, demand from your teams that they only play verified age based tournaments. Those teams that want to play up, should obviously be free to do so. This has got to be stopped. NO OTHER SPORT OPERATES LIKE THIS!

Well said, but doubt it will happen, too far gone

Agreed. I can understand the concept of age based tourneys up to 8th grade. What happens in high school with a hold back or repeater? Lose eligibility year, so academically, one grade, and athletically, another grade? Colleges only really care about the graduation year, not age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any one get invited to Jesters 2017 yet?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding the age discrepancies in Lax: Are people sure this kind of thing doesn't happen in football and basketball or even soccer for that matter? I really don't know, but given the advantages, I can't imagine it doesn't happen in those sports too. I just don't know. Can someone shed light on this?

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Regarding the age discrepancies in Lax: Are people sure this kind of thing doesn't happen in football and basketball or even soccer for that matter? I really don't know, but given the advantages, I can't imagine it doesn't happen in those sports too. I just don't know. Can someone shed light on this?
In soccer, this does not happen for three reasons.

First, everything from tournaments to leagues to showcases are driven by U-age brackets with hard and fast dates on the age groups.

Second, everything is sanctioned with player passes required; all of the player passes have the player's birthdate which had to be secured along with a copy of the birth certificate.

Third, every tournament event reviews the medical releases and player passes for each team member before allowing the team to participate.

Due to these three scenarios, holding back a player serves no value.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's interesting, but this is a must see! I remember watching it a while back, ironically it is now becoming a real issue of unfair advantage as far as I'm concerned for my boys, check it out:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7414212n

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

First, everything from tournaments to leagues to showcases are driven by U-age brackets with hard and fast dates on the age groups.

Second, everything is sanctioned with player passes required; all of the player passes have the player's birthdate which had to be secured along with a copy of the birth certificate.

Third, every tournament event reviews the medical releases and player passes for each team member before allowing the team to participate.

Cage, those well established rules certainly make success in soccer more about skill of player, than about uncontrolled variables such as age. I just don't see the system changing in lacrosse. Far to much control of the sport seems to come from prep schools, where most kids are "old" for there grade. And, as stated by several previous posts, the college coaches welcome these older players for their grade with open arms. Do you honestly think it is possible for this to actually change...or just wishful thinking?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Team Long Island is age based.

Kudos to team LI. They are ahead of the curve on this.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Thats how this "loose" sport should be, REAL rules that are enforced!

So lets see, thus far FOUR players in the 2017 class have committed. Two (both UNC) are held back and the other two (UVA & Penn St) are in he 2016 class and will PG once they leave H.S. anyone else sense the patten? These college coach DONT care, its a shame. But how can we blame the coaches, they don't make the rules and they need to win. What are we teaching our kids?

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Cage, those well established rules certainly make success in soccer more about skill of player, than about uncontrolled variables such as age. I just don't see the system changing in lacrosse. Far to much control of the sport seems to come from prep schools, where most kids are "old" for there grade. And, as stated by several previous posts, the college coaches welcome these older players for their grade with open arms. Do you honestly think it is possible for this to actually change...or just wishful thinking?
Yes, it is very possible to bring about change. Responsibility for that belongs squarely with US Lacrosse enforcing a national system of tournament sanctioning. Such sanctioning must require a U-age based system and player passes supporting the U-age structure. US Lacrosse has shirked this national responsibility for far too long.

Under such a mandate, college recruiting will fall into line as there would be no other avenue for recruiting.

We could have an extended debate over the value of "PG" years - better known as "13th Grade". Let's just say that such a "PG" practice represents a $30,000-$50,000 expense.

Expecting tournaments to be the sole source of such enforcement is wrong since tournaments are commercial endeavors first and foremost.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its a vitious cycle... if you hold a kid back... everyone is or will be so quick to preface any praise with the... "but he should be in the grade above"...
... and they would be right... just pointing out the inconvenient truth...

it's an unfair advantage... so take be prepared to take on the fall out when you red shirt your eighth grader

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What day did the Jesters say they would send out the invites? Did not here anything yet.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have Jake Reed Summer 2014 invites for the 2017s started to go out yet? I mean the 120 direct invites for kids who attended last year and got selected based on their performance or got a direct invite from Jake based on coaches/club slots, not kids going to 3D Blue Chip to try and make it. My son got the invite for the Fall Jake Reed event (going to Phiily Showcase instead), but hasn't received a Jake Reed summer invite yet. Hoping to avoid having to go down to Florida for 3D Blue Chip and get the direct invite instead.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those who have had children attend the Philly Freshman Showcase: What can we expect? What is the schedule? Is it all games? How many on a team? Who are the coaches? How much coaching/instruction is there, if any? Is there food there? Are parents restricted in any way? What's the weather policy? Any advice/info would be helpful. Thanks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Altough I don't agree, age advantage is not a new concept in sports. From Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, the NHL statistics point to a proven edge: The result, Gladwell says, is "an iron law of Canadian hockey: in any elite group of hockey players - the very best of the best - 40 per cent of the players will have been born between January and March." Those born in the last quarter of the year might as well just "give up on hockey."

its a vitious cycle... if you hold a kid back... everyone is or will be so quick to preface any praise with the... "but he should be in the grade above"...

it's an unfair advantage... so take be prepared to take on the fall out when you red shirt your eighth grader

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have Jake Reed Summer 2014 invites for the 2017s started to go out yet? I mean the 120 direct invites for kids who attended last year and got selected based on their performance or got a direct invite from Jake based on coaches/club slots, not kids going to 3D Blue Chip to try and make it. My son got the invite for the Fall Jake Reed event (going to Phiily Showcase instead), but hasn't received a Jake Reed summer invite yet. Hoping to avoid having to go down to Florida for 3D Blue Chip and get the direct invite instead.

Not out yet

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not out yet
Thank you for the response.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What day did the Jesters say they would send out the invites? Did not here anything yet.

Should here very soon?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Be prepared to take on the fallout?? Are you kidding me? Do you think any of these people actually care what you think or say?

Not out yet

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What, are u drinking during the day again? Your response makes no sense.

Be prepared to take on the fallout?? Are you kidding me? Do you think any of these people actually care what you think or say?

Not out yet

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not out yet

but will be very soon as per a very reliable source. (to be directly mailed to accepted player homes)

they are only taking approx 50% of the kids from this summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not out yet

but will be very soon as per a very reliable source. (to be directly mailed to accepted player homes)

they are only taking approx 50% of the kids from this summer.
Thanks a lot, helpful. Consistent with what I have heard.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What, are u drinking during the day again? Your response makes no sense.

Obviously belongs to earlier post

Not out yet

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Altough I don't agree, age advantage is not a new concept in sports. From Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, the NHL statistics point to a proven edge: The result, Gladwell says, is "an iron law of Canadian hockey: in any elite group of hockey players - the very best of the best - 40 per cent of the players will have been born between January and March." Those born in the last quarter of the year might as well just "give up on hockey."

Be ready to take on the fallout?? Are you kidding me? Do you think any of these people actually care what you think or say?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Should here very soon?

I thought it was Wed/ Thurs??? Anyone here

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yup. That's one of the biggest reason for it... Sadly.

Reality, 99% of the biggest fastest athletes in 8th grade are not a factor 4 years later when the rest of the boys caught up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jesters invites are out

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Summer 2014 National 175 Invitations are out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any feedback on which is better. Top 205 or National 175 for this summer. Which has more D1

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any feedback on which is better. Top 205 or National 175 for this summer. Which has more D1

Just one man's opinion on summer showcases:

1. Maverick Showtime
2. Jake Reed (but losing some favor b/c expanded # of kids)
3. Black Card Showcase (NSCLA members only)
4. National 175
5. Top 204
6. All others

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the feedback on order of showcases. You have Nat 175 higher than Top 205. If invited to both, and you want to only chose one, why do you feel Nat 175 is better?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just one man's opinion on summer showcases:

1. Maverick Showtime
2. Jake Reed (but losing some favor b/c expanded # of kids)
3. Black Card Showcase (NSCLA members only)
4. National 175
5. Top 204
6. All others

Showtime is by far the best. Most coaches, Most media coverage, IL, ect, best goody bag

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the feedback on order of showcases. You have Nat 175 higher than Top 205. If invited to both, and you want to only chose one, why do you feel Nat 175 is better?
I think Nat'l 175 and Top 205 are pretty close, with Nat'l 175 newer and a little better marketed, 205 around for a long time. Having said that, I know a few kids who made the All-Stars at Top 205 and got a lot of attention from colleges as a reasult (one committed to Syracuse who saw him first at Top 205).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Nat'l 175 and Top 205 are pretty close, with Nat'l 175 newer and a little better marketed, 205 around for a long time. Having said that, I know a few kids who made the All-Stars at Top 205 and got a lot of attention from colleges as a reasult (one committed to Syracuse who saw him first at Top 205).

Top 205 is on its way out. Heard last year was a diasaster. No coaches, very poorly run, ball hogging, etc. Blue Chip 225 seems pretty popular as well.

Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Special Opportunity for Boys 2017 Players

Showcase Clinic Slots Available for Boys 2017 Players

While we are in the midst of discussing showcases for freshman boys, now is the time to remind everyone of the special event here on Long Island being held on November 10th. This will be the first edition of the K&J Athletics Red Storm Showcase Clinic.

Some of you might be concerned about this being an inaugural edition - who might show up? Take a look at this list of already registered coaches :

St. John's University, Stony Brook University
Adelphi University, Yale University
Marquette, Towson
SUNY Binghamton, Providence College
Army, Sacred Heart University
University of Massachusetts, Pace University
SUNY Maritime, SUNY Farmingdale
NY Institute of Technology, Dowling College
L.I.U. Post, Thomas College
Dominican, Belmont Abbey
MA Maritime Academy, University of Tampa
Florida Southern, Mars Hill
Mount Ida College, Young Harris
Shorter University, Stockton
Linden State College, Stevens Institute of Technology
Notre Dame De Namur, Western New England
Merchant Marines, Gordon College
Goucher College, Morrisville State College
Cabrini College, Christopher Newport
Hope College, Washington & Jefferson College
Thiel College, Villanova
Hendrix College, Birmingham-Southern College
Transylvania University, Arcadia University
Sewanee University, Mercy College
Lindenwood College, Dean College
Essex College, Suffolk Community College
Howard College, Queens University
SUNY Delhi, Ohio Valley University
Mitchell College

If this event is only fractionally as successful as the girls spring/summer event, freshmen players will wind up on radars from multiple schools looking to recruit this age group.

The price to attend the showcase with multiple games and clinics is only $200.00.

Registration Link : http://kjathletics.com/boys-showcase/

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles lost to Walt Whitman Varsity and Turtles coaches didn't seem to take it too well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turtles lost to Walt Whitman Varsity and Turtles coaches didn't seem to take it too well.

What was the score

Page 12 of 70 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard