BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,564
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 58 of 144 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 143 144
Re: Long Island Express Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not talking about the actual kid, talking about early committing before these kids actually take SAT/ACT. Parents are allowing their kids to commit too early.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Until his SAT scores come in, then he will have to de-commit

What is wrong with you?

Not my son, He is a sophomore with a guaranteed ATHLETIC scholarship that can't change, to a top school (Not Ivy) we negotiated very carefully to ensure his success! Committing to an Ivy is very risky, unless it's the right kid!

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Not my son, He is a sophomore with a guaranteed ATHLETIC scholarship that can't change, to a top school (Not Ivy) we negotiated very carefully to ensure his success! Committing to an Ivy is very risky, unless it's the right kid!
Remember a few very important points.

[1] Injury : Any type of injury could eliminate this guaranteed athletic scholarship. Academic money will not disappear as easily.

[2] Golden Tickets and Academics : Ivy League coaches will have golden tickets that allow them to walk specific players through admissions (via a "likely letter") who are on the margin. Expect that an Ivy coach will have no more than three such admission waivers available. Striving for an Ivy education is wonderful if your student-athlete can actually complete the academics. (Hint : If you are not tasting your first Advanced Placement courses as a sophomore, you are behind the curve academically.)

[3] Athletic Money : Ivy League teams do not have money for lacrosse - so the angle has to be about the academics quality.

[4] Guarantees and NLIs : Fourth and most importantly, while it might be comforting to point to your negotiations and guarantees, nothing and we mean nothing is guaranteed without a National Letter of Intent. BOTC just wants you to be very clear about what the word guarantee actually means in this context.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Remember a few very important points.

[1] Injury : Any type of injury could eliminate this guaranteed athletic scholarship. Academic money will not disappear as easily.

[2] Golden Tickets and Academics : Ivy League coaches will have golden tickets that allow them to walk specific players through admissions (via a "likely letter") who are on the margin. Expect that an Ivy coach will have no more than three such admission waivers available. Striving for an Ivy education is wonderful if your student-athlete can actually complete the academics. (Hint : If you are not tasting your first Advanced Placement courses as a sophomore, you are behind the curve academically.)

[3] Athletic Money : Ivy League teams do not have money for lacrosse - so the angle has to be about the academics quality.

[4] Guarantees and NLIs : Fourth and most importantly, while it might be comforting to point to your negotiations and guarantees, nothing and we mean nothing is guaranteed without a National Letter of Intent. BOTC just wants you to be very clear about what the word guarantee actually means in this context.

I must disagree with a number of your statements. It does vary by school but the school we committed to which is a top 10 program and top 40 Nationally ranked college, stated that the scholarship offered will not change from the verbal agreement. It can only go higher based on performance. SAT requirements are quite reasonable. Injury will not affect scholarship. We were assured that they committed to our son. Coaches were very firm about that. Research has also shown us that it is extremely rare for a school to rescind a verbal agreement. I could not even find one instance where it actually happened. What does happen, is kids decommit due to a variety of reasons. The only thing that could affect the agreement is questionable moral behavior (arrest, ect) Or failure to maintain reasonable GPA. Every school and kid are different in what they offer. Some people are looking for their above average (not top) kid to walk into an Ivy, that happens , but be prepared to pay big $$. We were looking for a substantial financial package. was a win-win for us, my son, and the awesome school he committed to.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I must disagree with a number of your statements. It does vary by school but the school we committed to which is a top 10 program and top 40 Nationally ranked college, stated that the scholarship offered will not change from the verbal agreement. It can only go higher based on performance. SAT requirements are quite reasonable. Injury will not affect scholarship. We were assured that they committed to our son. Coaches were very firm about that. Research has also shown us that it is extremely rare for a school to rescind a verbal agreement. I could not even find one instance where it actually happened. What does happen, is kids decommit due to a variety of reasons. The only thing that could affect the agreement is questionable moral behavior (arrest, ect) Or failure to maintain reasonable GPA. Every school and kid are different in what they offer. Some people are looking for their above average (not top) kid to walk into an Ivy, that happens , but be prepared to pay big $$. We were looking for a substantial financial package. was a win-win for us, my son, and the awesome school he committed to.
Ours is a voice of experience; if you choose to disagree, we are fine with that. BOTC can only offer words of advice based on practical and actual experience.

You are correct when you say that verbal offers are rarely withdrawn. We did however want to caution you that there is ground to cover over the next two years that can occasionally alter the best laid plans.

Congratulations and good luck with your student-athlete's collegiate selection and remaining scholastic years.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ours is a voice of experience; if you choose to disagree, we are fine with that. BOTC can only offer words of advice based on practical and actual experience.

You are correct when you say that verbal offers are rarely withdrawn. We did however want to caution you that there is ground to cover over the next two years that can occasionally alter the best laid plans.

Congratulations and good luck with your student-athlete's collegiate selection and remaining scholastic years.

Thanks Cage, I do appreciate your insight. This process has been quite challenging, constantly wondering if the right decision was made. There was a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication on the part of my son and our entire family. We will all continue to work hard fulfilling our end of the agreement. This is the time to work harder than ever before, and we consider ourselves one of the lucky ones going through this process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We have been close to it already and have close friends that have been through it CAGE is right. I wish you well but you newbies touting firm offers early is just not accurate until you sign

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We have been close to it already and have close friends that have been through it CAGE is right. I wish you well but you newbies touting firm offers early is just not accurate until you sign

It is wonderful that you got a great deal. Keep playing well and studying hard and it will all work out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To shift gears and share some positive experiences. The Express has really done well coming out of the tryouts. They have had several practices already and are really, really organized. My son's team alone has had 4 practices already. And it's been nice to have several teams practicing in one location (Mitchell Field) with several directors there, who were all accessible and willing to talk with parents. This has been the seen the last 3 weekends. Great start - keep it going Express.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You forgot to tell everyone that it cost $850 for one practice a week and 3 tournaments that cost a combined 2,000. Toury fee . Please I would be shaking your hand also. We are all idiots,

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're wrong. It's one practice a week for 3 weeks and then switches to 2X a week with 4 tournaments. It's worth the $850 for us.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You forgot to tell everyone that it cost $850 for one practice a week and 3 tournaments that cost a combined 2,000. Toury fee . Please I would be shaking your hand also. We are all idiots,

Ha... I try and forget that part of it and just hope my son is learning the game and enjoying it. So far, yes to both. And there was option to not play the fall.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express 2016 top lefty attack from Manhasset just committed to Duke! Well deserved!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Manhasset 2016 Top Lefty Attackman

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So which is it an express 2016 or manhasset 2016.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Both but if he was in the grade that applies to his age, he would be a junior or class of 2015.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Both, however Express was responsible for getting the kid noticed. So I would say Express deserves the bulk of the credit. Of course the kid is a great player but so are alot of others. Connections matter!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wolverines piranahs terps...... are they like 91 teams extreme orange white???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Both, however Express was responsible for getting the kid noticed. So I would say Express deserves the bulk of the credit. Of course the kid is a great player but so are alot of others. Connections matter!!

You don't suppose playing and often starting on MHS Varsity had to do anything with his being recruited?!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wolverines piranahs terps...... are they like 91 teams extreme orange white???

Depends on year. Express and 91 are now mixing up the team names and order of strenght. This Year for 2018 Express its Terps, Wolverines, and Piranahas. For 2018 91 its Extreme, Orange, White, Stampede.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do a little research..rought up to varsity, did not start, did play and made a nice contribution. Express gave much more exposure leading to commitment !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Express 2016 top lefty attack from Manhasset just committed to Duke! Well deserved!

The original post clearly states that the boy is from Manhasset. The fact is that he plays for his HS Team and for a Club Team (The Long Island Express). The original post did not attempt to deminish the fact that he played for his HS Team.

Why do the "town folk" want so badly to deminish the value of playing for express? Why the Hate?

Be happy for the boy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do a little research..rought up to varsity, did not start, did play and made a nice contribution. Express gave much more exposure leading to commitment !

He did not start his 1st varsity game. After posting 4 goals, 1 assist in that game he was inserted in the starting line-up in his 2nd varsity game against John Jay and started the rest of the season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The original post clearly states that the boy is from Manhasset. The fact is that he plays for his HS Team and for a Club Team (The Long Island Express). The original post did not attempt to deminish the fact that he played for his HS Team.

Why do the "town folk" want so badly to deminish the value of playing for express? Why the Hate?

Be happy for the boy.

I am happy for the boy. However, if your spelling is any indication of what a typical express player is capable of, he won't be able to make the grade at Duke! Diminish, not "deminish."

BTW I am a big believer in Express and the other clubs and the opportunity they create for the boys. However, there seemed to be an inference that MHS had absolutely nothing to do with his being recruited. The fact that he has been able to succeed at the club AND the high school level is what drew Duke to him. Plus having good grades at a good high school!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Plus the fact that he is a year older than the boys he competes against.

Be happy for the boy.

I am happy for the boy. However, if your spelling is any indication of what a typical express player is capable of, he won't be able to make the grade at Duke! Diminish, not "deminish."

BTW I am a big believer in Express and the other clubs and the opportunity they create for the boys. However, there seemed to be an inference that MHS had absolutely nothing to do with his being recruited. The fact that he has been able to succeed at the club AND the high school level is what drew Duke to him. Plus having good grades at a good high school!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just curious what team or club did he play for in 4th grade?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is an incredible story actually. Wasn't even a starter on JV this year and now look where he is. And isn't even the best lefty attack at Set - there are two (one above and one below) that some view as better depending on who you ask. What's in the water over there with lefty attacks?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is an incredible story actually. Wasn't even a starter on JV this year and now look where he is. And isn't even the best lefty attack at Set - there are two (one above and one below) that some view as better depending on who you ask. What's in the water over there with lefty attacks?

Not to mention two other attack lefties from Set that aren't too shabby and are playing at private high schools. One of them might even start for Chammy varsity this year and committed to Colgate. Definately something in the water in Jim Brown country.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Plus the fact that he is a year older than the boys he competes against.

Be happy for the boy.

You are all acting like a woman scorned!!! Grow up and just say congrats. You all are acting like sore losers. Sure makes one think twice about announcing a commitment ...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not to mention two other attack lefties from Set that aren't too shabby and are playing at private high schools. One of them might even start for Chammy varsity this year and committed to Colgate. Definately something in the water in Jim Brown country.

Surprised he didn't start on varsity, Manhasset isn't even that good. Not even a question that the kid got noticed through express. Stop it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With all of this talent at the same position you have to give credit to the youth program at Set - it doesn't just magically blossom when they put on an Express jersey. Happens way before that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Surprised he didn't start on varsity, Manhasset isn't even that good. Not even a question that the kid got noticed through express. Stop it!

Colgate not in same hemisphere as Duke. btw, hopefully they are starters if they are juniors at the nade...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The one above is good and will team up with this boy to form one of the more formidable attack lines in high school next season. No clue who the one below is since there were no call ups to JV last year. Must of torn it up in Middle School smile

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The one below is a righty but you can't tell. Great from both sides. He is good enough from the left to make you think he is a natural lefty.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The best players from set play for set!!! They are not at Chaminade or any other private school!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The one above is good and will team up with this boy to form one of the more formidable attack lines in high school next season. No clue who the one below is since there were no call ups to JV last year. Must of torn it up in Middle School smile
Another Express kid (Turtles).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Colgate not in same hemisphere as Duke. btw, hopefully they are starters if they are juniors at the nade...

At set?...the chammy?...at the nade? Who talks like that?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

surprised he didn't start on varsity, Manhasset isn't even that good. Not even a question that the kid got noticed through express. Stop it!

Manhasset is one of the best teams in the country almost every year! That is considered not that good to you?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The post was meant to congratulate the Duke committed sophomore player. Your opinion of the other lefty attackmen of Manhasset is irrelevant and should be discussed in a different forum. Many schools throughout LI have great lefty attacks, not just Manhasset. The post is acknowledging the huge role that LIE had in the process. And FYI, there is nothing "in the water". It's called natural talent combined with motivation and parental support (having the sense to join a great club team). Happens all over the Island as you can see from the list of commited sophomore players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are basing the quality of the school based on Lacrosse. Maybe Colgate is his academic school of choice based on the major this boy wants to pursue. My nephew who was a two time all-American is playing club ball at the school he chose because that school offered the major he wanted to pursue and does not have a varsity lacrosse team. In the end isn't it about preparing for the future? Not just lacrosse?

Like Reply Quote
Page 58 of 144 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 143 144
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard