BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,075
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 327 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Enough already with statements about how the yj handle themselves on the field.Is the problem with the players that they play too hard or that you just do not like losing.Why would the yj come to a tournament run by someone who feels the need to say someyhing childish about the yj when he first mentions the tournament. You need them way more then they need you.

Blame the refs if the on the field play is too rough, not the yellow jackets.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
YJ wont waste their time playing Long Island Club teams

Not true, YJs lose to Long Island Club teams. Again, such arrogance.
The perception of wasting time is different from a discussion of wins/losses.

That fact is that the Yellow Jackets believe at the most senior levels in the organization that the other Long Island franchises actually "duck" their competitions. Now, you can agree or disagree with that assessment however BOTC has heard the quotes first hand.

That said, the bottom line is that as much as one might attack the Yellow Jackets for not attending the other club tournaments on Long Island, the fact is that the Yellow Jackets are the biggest girls game in town and the other clubs need to chase them down in competition and beat them in order to change the landscape.

It is our belief that clubs like the Top Guns and Liberty to name twzzz8 o should be attending events like the Elite College Showcase and other Yellow Jackets events. Until those clubs make the first move, you will not see any chance in the competitive landscape.

I think most travel clubs welcome the chance to play yjs at tournaments, neutral site tournaments. Many, I feel don't like attending a yj sponsered tournament. You can come with many reasons why or why not this may be.
Just "ducking" the oppurtunity to put even more money into the pocket of the competition which is the yj organization.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I think most travel clubs welcome the chance to play yjs at tournaments, neutral site tournaments. Many, I feel don't like attending a yj sponsered tournament. You can come with many reasons why or why not this may be. Just "ducking" the oppurtunity to put even more money into the pocket of the competition which is the yj organization.
On the surface, this sounds plausible until you look at the real details.

First, we are to believe that Long Island clubs will gladly pay to play the Yellow Jackets in a non-Long Island setting? In other words, Long Island clubs are happy to pay another organization to arrange a meeting between Long Island girls teams? Whether money is paid to the Yellow Jackets or another franchise, the money is still paid.

Second, BOTC suspects that the Yellow Jackets would reciprocate tournament attendance at other Long Island events, however the first step has to be taken by the other clubs.

Third, not supporting Yellow Jacket events, like the Elite Showcase from July, actually hurts the Long Island girls players from other clubs - the event was well attended from the coaching side and Long Island players therefore missed a chance to be seen in their own backyard due to club politics. As for a neutral site, there is perhaps no more neutral Long Island site than Mitchel Field.

Fourth, finally, and perhaps most importantly, this discussion is about competition at tournaments. Without replacing showcase events, the introduction of a US Lacrosse sanctioned league structure will clearly be a step forward for the region.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just curious as a new travel lacrosse family- is it fair to say that this yellow jackets organization has more teams than any other club? Do they make cuts or does everyone end up on a team? We are moving to Long island from New Jersey and my daughter plays lacrosse, will make a decision as to where she will play after next summer. Thanks for this site, very informative!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How much is the try-out fee for the Yellow Jackets?? I checked the website it only states there is a fee but not how much. I didn't want to create a laxwiz account just to see the amount.
[u]I was t5hinking it might be interesting to see what all the [u]Buzz is about [/u][/u]

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Just curious as a new travel lacrosse family- is it fair to say that this yellow jackets organization has more teams than any other club?
Yes.
Do they make cuts or does everyone end up on a team?
They have run up to four teams per age group. The third and fourth teams per age group do get solid training but the tournaments might not be the same. There are some cuts that can be made if the number of players exceeds the total slots.
We are moving to Long island from New Jersey and my daughter plays lacrosse, will make a decision as to where she will play after next summer.
If you look at the Long Island Clubs content island on the right hand side of the screen, you should be able to "tour" most of the named and upcoming girls clubs on Long Island.
Thanks for this site, very informative!
Thank you for visiting - be sure to let New Jersey know about us!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am girls lax official and was working the YJ LI elite tourn in Aug, competition is way down from other years. Its 50 YJ teams, some town teams and mayb weak conneticuit and westchester teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ does not have 50 teams so please stop bashing stupidity once again!! Could you be the official from SCGL please get your facts straight. So jealous

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I am girls lax official and was working the YJ LI elite tourn in Aug, competition is way down from other years. Its 50 YJ teams, some town teams and mayb weak conneticuit and westchester teams.
Uninformed commentary like this from an official is attrocious.

2011 Elite Showcase Teams

We suggest that you review the 2011 schedule and showcase competition. Regarding your comment about the "weakness" of the event, the bottom line is that 20+ significant college programs were represented. If the competition was so weak then many Long Island programs missed a great opportunity to shine.

Seriously, BOTC was at Mitchel Field for this Showcase. Our evidence is first hand.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Uninformed commentary like this from an official is attrocious."
Could not agree more, especially when he has to make stuff up.As far as the other LI club teams not showing up,you can lead a horse to water ...
How come the better clubs from NJ and Maryland do not make the trip up,after the yj support many of their home town tournaments all summer long. Although I realize there is a lack of affordable rooms that cannot be the only reason.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We suggest that you review the 2011 schedule and showcase competition. Regarding your comment about the "weakness" of the event, the bottom line is that 20+ significant college programs were represented. If the competition was so weak then many Long Island programs missed a great opportunity to shine.

Seriously, BOTC was at Mitchel Field for this Showcase. Our evidence is first hand.

I actually have to agree with the earlier comment for the most part (there are about 30 YJ teams not 50, but that was a huge percentage of the total teams).

Competition was much weaker than years past with almost no MD or NJ teams. Also no Liberty, No TG, and only a couple of younger LI Express teams.

Shortly after the tournament, I had asked what college coaches were actually there. No response other than Adelphi. I didn't see any.

I still think it's a nice event, but def not what it used to be. Some of it is probably the lateness of the event but I have to believe that there is some politics involved too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I actually have to agree with the earlier comment for the most part (there are about 30 YJ teams not 50, but that was a huge percentage of the total teams).

Competition was much weaker than years past with almost no MD or NJ teams. Also no Liberty, No TG, and only a couple of younger LI Express teams.

Shortly after the tournament, I had asked what college coaches were actually there. No response other than Adelphi. I didn't see any.

I still think it's a nice event, but def not what it used to be. Some of it is probably the lateness of the event but I have to believe that there is some politics involved too.

People keep talking TG and Liberty. If these teams are so competative why don't they do any of the competative tournaments. Remember they are the ones that chose not to go, only makes you wonder.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Could not agree more, especially when he has to make stuff up.As far as the other LI club teams not showing up,you can lead a horse to water ...
How come the better clubs from NJ and Maryland do not make the trip up,after the yj support many of their home town tournaments all summer long. Although I realize there is a lack of affordable rooms that cannot be the only reason.

I agree that not showing up actually could hurt the other programs, but people need to realize that the YJs have a not so great reputation (right or wrong) throughout the lacrosse community. I have heard it in many tournaments.

Before the YJ supporters start calling me names like "jealous" and "scared" etc., I have to be honest and say that in my opinion some of the criticism comes simply from the fact that YJ Blue teams WIN, and they WIN alot more times than they lose. The clubs don't like to lose to the same team over and over, and I am sure some of these clubs say to themselves why do I need to go lose to the club that is sponsoring the event.

But I do believe that YJs have a sometimes deserved reputation of being an unsportsmanlike program and this keeps teams away from supporting their tournaments. The reasons why have been touched upon in this forum and we do not need to go over again. It would not surprise me if that was a significant factor in why teams (not just LI teams, but Northeast teams) don't go to the YJ events.

YJ parents should really not care, in particularly for the girls on the Blue teams, because if your mission is to have your daughter play top level lacrosse in college, I seriously doubt that a recruiter could care less if the YJs are known for being rough around the edges.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

People keep talking TG and Liberty. If these teams are so competative why don't they do any of the competative tournaments. Remember they are the ones that chose not to go, only makes you wonder.

I think you need to recheck your facts. They both do the competitive tournaments throughout the northeast, and some did very well, I know because I was there. If they didn't go to the tournaments, they would be out of business. Just look at their websites, plus I have seen a ton of their teams at the main recruiting tournaments throughout the years. They just chose not to go to the YJ tournament.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree that not showing up actually could hurt the other programs, but people need to realize that the YJs have a not so great reputation (right or wrong) throughout the lacrosse community. I have heard it in many tournaments.

Before the YJ supporters start calling me names like "jealous" and "scared" etc., I have to be honest and say that in my opinion some of the criticism comes simply from the fact that YJ Blue teams WIN, and they WIN alot more times than they lose. The clubs don't like to lose to the same team over and over, and I am sure some of these clubs say to themselves why do I need to go lose to the club that is sponsoring the event.

But I do believe that YJs have a sometimes deserved reputation of being an unsportsmanlike program and this keeps teams away from supporting their tournaments. The reasons why have been touched upon in this forum and we do not need to go over again. It would not surprise me if that was a significant factor in why teams (not just LI teams, but Northeast teams) don't go to the YJ events.

YJ parents should really not care, in particularly for the girls on the Blue teams, because if your mission is to have your daughter play top level lacrosse in college, I seriously doubt that a recruiter could care less if the YJs are known for being rough around the edges.

Very well said, and I agree with most everything you said. Get prepared to be attacked on that one though!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you need to recheck your facts. They both do the competitive tournaments throughout the northeast, and some did very well, I know because I was there. If they didn't go to the tournaments, they would be out of business. Just look at their websites, plus I have seen a ton of their teams at the main recruiting tournaments throughout the years. They just chose not to go to the YJ tournament.

For the $, this "LI Elite Tournament" is not worth it...$1100+ for 5 - 25 minute games. Better values to be had...All ove the NE. That plus the limited # of colleges represented....Programs want more bang for their buck...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the past YJ manipulated the schedules, thats why LI clubs won't go there

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Congratulations on the following Class of 2013 college commitments just announced.

Taylor Bleistein
High School: Locust Valley High School
Graduation Year: 2013
Position: Defense/Midfield
College Choice: Penn State
Club Affiliation: Long Island Yellow Jackets 2013 Blue
Major lacrosse honors: All County Honorable Mention, U-15 National Team,U-15 Champion, All-Conference

Caroline Fitzgerald
High School: Mount Sinai High School
Graduation Year: 2013
Position: Midfield
College Choice: University Of Florida
Club Affiliation: Long Island Yellow Jackets
Major lacrosse honors: 2011 High School All American, 2011 All-County, 2x All-County Honorable Mention (2009,2010). Member of the Long Island Under Armour Underclassman Team (2010,2011). Long Island Metro School Girls team 1 (2011). Long Island Metro School Girls team 3 (2010). Long Island Empire State Team (2010). Suffolk County Class "C" Champions, Long Island Class "C" Champions, NYS Class "C" finalists (2011).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ are you kidding me.. 50.00 for tryouts....does this money come off my registration if I make the team?? or if I get cut, do I get my money back? Its all about the money, isn't it...... 50.00 x 700 girls, wow you do the math.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thats profit??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ are you kidding me.. 50.00 for tryouts....does this money come off my registration if I make the team?? or if I get cut, do I get my money back? Its all about the money, isn't it...... 50.00 x 700 girls, wow you do the math.

You dont have to attend. It is optional. But unlike TG you will get a real tryout.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So what? Should it be free?! $50 well spent in my opinion!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To play for Love of game its 125.00 for tryouts!!! 50.00 is cheap

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am sure there is some rental expense but more importantly no one is demanding that you attend. Go somewhere else if you don't like it. There are many clubs on Long Island.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
$50 to have the chance to represent the hands down best girls travel program on long island and possibly the nation sounds like a great deal.Funny how people complain about try-out fees,if you do not like it do not try-out. If you think your child is good enough and the 50 would be a real stretch I am sure most travel organizations would find a way to wave the fee.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah it should be free, greed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You dont have to attend. It is optional. But unlike TG you will get a real tryout.

Why on earth would you drag that into this discussion? So you obviously tried out for top guns.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wait a minute I just want to say that I am a Top Gun parent and there are tryout fees as well with our assocition times however many kids. People get silly

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This topic was discussed at length, both for and against fees. Many good point both ways were made. Wonder if cage sage could recall what thread and page number. At the end of discussion, I am okay with fees.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you should come paint my house for free...

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
This topic was discussed at length, both for and against fees. Many good point both ways were made. Wonder if cage sage could recall what thread and page number. At the end of discussion, I am okay with fees.
Actually, it was in a discussion that BOTC personally started regarding the tryout fees seen across all clubs. The feedback on the subject surprised us as more than half of the respondants actually favored having tryout fees. Perhaps, we should open a new thread for this discussion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
who said anything about topguns, I have 3 girls, it gets expensive

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This topic has already been beat to a pulp, Most all the clubs seem to have the fee. Feel free to boycott the fee and clubs that charge it. It is simple supply and demand. All girls are free to play on a other teams, some of which charge no fee. It doesn't seem to hurt the numbers trying out for these elite programs. Time to move on from the subject.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
who said anything about topguns, I have 3 girls, it gets expensive
While the BOTC Tryouts Forum has been more focused on the boys rather than the girls, we have provided a fairly even-handed platform from which research can be done on overall costs and potential benefits for your daughter (or son). On the girls side, options to the bigger clubs do exist and we have carried several of those options with lower price points. While we will not argue with you about your cost times three, BOTC has tried to provide visibility to the options available in both experience and pricing. We hope that it has helped.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
This topic has already been beat to a pulp, Most all the clubs seem to have the fee. Feel free to boycott the fee and clubs that charge it. It is simple supply and demand. All girls are free to play on a other teams, some of which charge no fee. It doesn't seem to hurt the numbers trying out for these elite programs. Time to move on from the subject.
One of the goals for BOTC on the Tryouts Forum was to ask for as much disclosure as was possible related to pricing, services provided, tournament plans, and practice schedules. Most every club on the Tryouts Forum worked with us in preparing this ads to include as much of this information as possible up front for everyone's consumption. In short, we think that the tryout landscape was improved for you, the consumer, as a result.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my daughter tried out for the yellow jackets and was put on a lesser team , not because she was not one of the best at her position , but because she didn't try out with a blu or gold pine on her back . I understand wanting to keep cohesion on a team but to regulate a girl to a lower team because she didn't start out with them is unfair. I was also unimpressed to see the goalie coaches coaching the girls that played the year before during trouts , that is unfair and unprofessional . The next year she tried out for liberty and made it onto the black team after a closed tryout no parents , no other coaches other than the directors , girls were prohibited from wearing any part of any school , or other travel team uniform including liberty

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
easy to get 70 when you cut nobody , Its all a numbers game , More girls more college commits

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my daughter tried out for the yellow jackets and was put on a lesser team , not because she was not one of the best at her position , but because she didn't try out with a blu or gold pine on her back . I understand wanting to keep cohesion on a team but to regulate a girl to a lower team because she didn't start out with them is unfair. I was also unimpressed to see the goalie coaches coaching the girls that played the year before during trouts , that is unfair and unprofessional . The next year she tried out for liberty and made it onto the black team after a closed tryout no parents , no other coaches other than the directors , girls were prohibited from wearing any part of any school , or other travel team uniform including liberty

Good luck on Liberty. I knew the father of a goalie coach who tried out for every team under the sun. I heard he and his kid (nice girl) finally landed at Liberty. If this is the suffolk county parent who I think it is, so glad you ended up at Liberty!

Last edited by CageSage; . Reason: Removed Coaching References
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
easy to get 70 when you cut nobody , Its all a numbers game , More girls more college commits

Nobody is forcing them to stay there. Go somewhere else if you are a good player. If not then why complain?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"not because she was not one of the best at her position , but because she didn't try out with a blu or gold pine on her back . "
Many parents feel their child is one of the best at her position but the coaches believe otherwise.If the coaches thought your daughter would help them win more so than other girls on the team she would have been placed on that team,the coaches want to win.That being relationships with the kids ,parents etc. from the prior years team will naturally have an impact on the coaches choice.

Like Reply Quote
Page 15 of 327 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard