BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What's Your View? Tryouts Transparency
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
This is our first "What's Your View?" column of the 2013/2014 season and what better topic to kick-off the seasonal year than a critical look at the tryouts process.

BOTC launched our Tryouts Forum in 2011 and during that first season, we struggled to simply have every club disclose their tryout fees and the standard who, what, where, and when information in their tryout flyers.

In 2012, BOTC asked clubs to disclose as much as possible regarding seasonal fees and detail the features which each student-athlete would receive.

This year, some clubs have raised the bar even further with early disclosure of their coaching staff and the age groups that they will cover.

So, BOTC wants to know : What's Your View?

Are you getting all of the information you need to make an informed decision? What additional detail would help your decision making when it comes to choosing tryouts to attend?

Let us know.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: What's Your View? Tryouts Transparency
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I would like to see proposed tournament schedules for the next year, even including fall/winter. Some organizations (I think legacy,millon) have already started doing that. Having all optional items/dates listed as well could help one find the best fit for their child and schedule.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
This is our first "What's Your View?" column of the 2013/2014 season and what better topic to kick-off the seasonal year than a critical look at the tryouts process.

BOTC launched our Tryouts Forum in 2011 and during that first season, we struggled to simply have every club disclose their tryout fees and the standard who, what, where, and when information in their tryout flyers.

In 2012, BOTC asked clubs to disclose as much as possible regarding seasonal fees and detail the features which each student-athlete would receive.

This year, some clubs have raised the bar even further with early disclosure of their coaching staff and the age groups that they will cover.

So, BOTC wants to know : What's Your View?

Are you getting all of the information you need to make an informed decision? What additional detail would help your decision making when it comes to choosing tryouts to attend?

Let us know.

I feel as though most of the clubs are still not giving the consumer the financial information when it is needed which is BEFORE tryouts. The full cost with no surprise add ons should be known by all potential consumers before they try out for the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm going to agree with the above poster. The clubs are selling a product and that product should be very well defined prior to the purchase. We as consumers should require a complete program description, coaches, tournament list, fall/winter leagues, training sessions, etc. this will allow the consumer to make an informed decision prior to try outs.
I am not calling out any particular club as some do a better job than others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a good idea but I imagine it would be a lot easier to do for teams that stay local for their tournaments as opposed to those that travel out of state. The out of state tournament landscape is changing all of the time, with certain tournaments falling out of favor more and more each year (e.g. Tri-State) and others gaining in popularity each year. This is difficult to predict at the time of tryouts especially if a club is looking for the most competitive tournaments. I pretty much assume my June and July are shot at this point. Two recurring themes seemed to pop up on this site relative to tryouts: coaching staff beyond the top or A team; and tryout fees for, some reason. The clubs that posted their entire staff seemed to receive the most positive responses as opposed to those who did not. There is one other item which I think is important to mention for people considering the move to travel lacrosse - hotel and associated travel fees. This has been the biggest killer for us the past two years and can easily exceed the tuition by a factor of two, once all is tallied. I dont think it is the responsibility of the clubs to point this out on their tryout flyers, of course but it is a subject that sort of gets lost in the wash of the whole tuition fee discussion.
Originally Posted by acblax
I would like to see proposed tournament schedules for the next year, even including fall/winter. Some organizations (I think legacy,millon) have already started doing that. Having all optional items/dates listed as well could help one find the best fit for their child and schedule.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is a good idea but I imagine it would be a lot easier to do for teams that stay local for their tournaments as opposed to those that travel out of state. The out of state tournament landscape is changing all of the time, with certain tournaments falling out of favor more and more each year (e.g. Tri-State) and others gaining in popularity each year. This is difficult to predict at the time of tryouts especially if a club is looking for the most competitive tournaments. I pretty much assume my June and July are shot at this point. Two recurring themes seemed to pop up on this site relative to tryouts: coaching staff beyond the top or A team; and tryout fees for, some reason. The clubs that posted their entire staff seemed to receive the most positive responses as opposed to those who did not. There is one other item which I think is important to mention for people considering the move to travel lacrosse - hotel and associated travel fees. This has been the biggest killer for us the past two years and can easily exceed the tuition by a factor of two, once all is tallied. I dont think it is the responsibility of the clubs to point this out on their tryout flyers, of course but it is a subject that sort of gets lost in the wash of the whole tuition fee discussion.

Actually, the Legacy Club does that. They have a packet online and one they gave to the parents on Saturday that outlines everything.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually, the Legacy Club does that. They have a packet online and one they gave to the parents on Saturday that outlines everything.

That packet is on their site....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enough with this happy horse crap regarding Legacy and the other new second tier organizations.... If an organization has their tournaments mapped out for next year already, I wouldn't want any parts of it. You people are clearly showing that you belong on a B team!!!! Understand me clearly, I'm not saying your son belongs on one, but most of you parents do. I want my son on a team that will seek out the best tournaments for his team. There is no way to know that right now other than the Baltimore Crabs tournament run in late June and Early July. It's about trying to find the best competition out there. If your organization knows that already, they are setting you up for mediocrity!!!! i.e., LI Laxfest, Ocean Lax Fest, Tri-State(over-rated), Surf & Turf(LOL)

The gentleman below had a great PC answer. I'm just tired of all this self promotion from these clubs...

That packet is on their site....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a parent and coach of one of the club teams I think it is important to know all the facts before signing with any club. Listed below are some questions you should ask before putting down a deposit.
1- Cost. Know what you get for this cost.
2- Winter/Spring season. Are they offering this and if so how much will this cost.
3- Coach. I can go on forever about this subject. Bottom line. I have seen some real good coaches in some of the smaller clubs and I have seen some bad coaches in the larger clubs. Know who is coaching your child before you put down that deposit. BTW- If they can't tell you who is coaching your child's team by now, they don't have one yet. Stay away.
4- Coaches philosophy on playing time. Some parents don't care about playing time as long as little Johnny makes the team. You see this w/ the stronger clubs. How is your kid going to get better if he doesn't play. Not to mention his self esteem.
5- How many kids on a team ? 24 kids or more they are taking your money and playing time will be reduced.
6- How many kids on the team at your child's position ? Know this. If they have more then 6 defenseman, 6 attackman, 2 goalies or 9 middies on any one team then playing time will be reduced to less then 1/2 a game p/ kid. That's not a lot of playing time for $1400.
7- Practice location and days they will practice. Important if you have multiple kids.

If you know the answer to these questions you can make an intelligent decision and you will be less likely to be disappointed at the end of the season. Hope this helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a parent and coach of one of the club teams I think it is important to know all the facts before signing with any club. Listed below are some questions you should ask before putting down a deposit.
2- Winter/Spring season. Are they offering this and if so how much will this cost.
3- Coach. I can go on forever about this subject. Bottom line. I have seen some real good coaches in some of the smaller clubs and I have seen some bad coaches in the larger clubs. Know who is coaching your child before you put down that deposit. BTW- If they can't tell you who is coaching your child's team by now, they don't have one yet. Stay away.
4- Coaches philosophy on playing time. Some parents don't care about playing time as long as little Johnny makes the team. You see this w/ the stronger clubs. How is your kid going to get better if he doesn't play. Not to mention his self esteem.
5- How many kids on a team ? 24 kids or more they are taking your money and playing time will be reduced.
6- How many kids on the team at your child's position ? Know this. If they have more then 6 defenseman, 6 attackman, 2 goalies or 9 middies on any one team then playing time will be reduced to less then 1/2 a game p/ kid. That's not a lot of playing time for $1400.
7- Practice location and days they will practice. Important if you have multiple kids.

If you know the answer to these questions you can make an intelligent decision and you will be less likely to be disappointed at the end of the season. Hope this helps.

Thank you.... excellent post, I think at best you can get a tentative subject to change schedule, it can not be written in stone at this point, they may want to see what kind of team they have first and what is the best fit (great team may want to play up or go to elite tourneys or weaker then expected and they may want to go to more competition appropriate tourneys) - The single most important thing to me would be the number of players on the team and the number of players at my sons position, I would love to know that ahead of time.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like a list of the parents... stay away from the crazy ones...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you.... excellent post, I think at best you can get a tentative subject to change schedule, it can not be written in stone at this point, they may want to see what kind of team they have first and what is the best fit (great team may want to play up or go to elite tourneys or weaker then expected and they may want to go to more competition appropriate tourneys) - The single most important thing to me would be the number of players on the team and the number of players at my sons position, I would love to know that ahead of time.

Yes, number of players is important, but the single most important thing should be who the COACH is! That will determine your son's improvement, and will have a lot to do with how much he'll enjoy it. Most of the time will be spent on the practice field, so that's what needs to be the most productive. The rest of the priorities also depend on the age, but I still think COACHING should be number one for all ages.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like a list of the parents... stay away from the crazy ones...

I would like to make this first "post of the year" nomination

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The landscape of youth lacrosse is changing because we now have all these former College players, HS coaches, 80’s stars who are looking to coach with opportunities to make good money and still be involved in the game. As more of these opportunities come about there will be more choices to negotiate on their fees, which in turn drives up the cost of teams. Also as the tournaments rates rise to realize more profits (which some go back to these clubs anyway), the overall cost of the teams would inherently increase. So, if we stay on the trajectory this sport will slowing die in this market, as it will eventually put more people without the means to have their son/daughters or multiple kids with skills play with a higher level of talent and exposure to good coaching on these teams. Lacrosse will become what golf is where it’s a “rich mans” sport. There is too much talent on LI to allow that to happen to maintain this sports heritage here.

The question I have, all these coaches, former great players and leaders of these clubs; how did you get to where you are in youth lacrosse and did your parents have to invest in comparison thousands of dollars per year to have you play and get to a top level? I know mine didn’t and my point on this topic, if we are talking about transparency; all these clubs saying the right words on focusing on the kids, building their IQ, etc. Yes these will do this if they make, play and pay for that team but is that truly their transparent intention.

Yes, its business and yes they have to make money, and yes it cost allot to put the time in etc., however these teams/clubs have increased some 30-50% in the last 2-3 years. No business increases that much and your paychecks aren’t increasing that fast, so for how long can we keep LI competitive if we are cannibalizing ourselves with for profit first, value and teaching second.

The sad part, there is no alternative and challenge each club to look within to state their purpose. Tryouts, $$60-$200 – that is all profit with no insight into the % chance of making the club from the previous year’s team – are they looking to persuade people from trying out or just make more money? YoY 20% team increase with the same service, not major changes to offerings, for what? Did you need to pay the coaches more? The tournament costs aren’t out at the time of pricing out the teams cost so why the increase?

Problem is we pay for this because we as parents have the false perception that if we don’t out kids will fall behind and we have no other options. Some of the greatest players who are listed on many of the teams websites as coaches played other sports over the summer and their skills as a lacrosse player would be on comparison to todays as good if not better. So do we need to have 8-14 year olds involved in $1500 teams, well parents of today are conditioned to think so but I would challenge them to ask all these big time coaches if they played for the Express’ the world in summer of 1987 (you might be surprised they didn’t exist but that player still went onto Syracuse on scholarship)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Practice locations! Welcome to my 1.5 hour one-way (in traffic) to practice last season...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL.. Your showing your age !!! Years ago no one played lacrosse but skateboarding and Motocross Bikes were the thing. Now all you see is kids with lacrosse sticks and the market is saturated with good players and they are getting better by the minute ! Why because they start playing in first grade and then play PAL then Club teams and train all winter.I see an increase in club teams for at least the next 10 years and if they keep curring back on middle school sports money maybe even longer. Just keep making money guys and gals because your gonna need it !!!
The landscape of youth lacrosse is changing because we now have all these former College players, HS coaches, 80’s stars who are looking to coach with opportunities to make good money and still be involved in the game. As more of these opportunities come about there will be more choices to negotiate on their fees, which in turn drives up the cost of teams. Also as the tournaments rates rise to realize more profits (which some go back to these clubs anyway), the overall cost of the teams would inherently increase. So, if we stay on the trajectory this sport will slowing die in this market, as it will eventually put more people without the means to have their son/daughters or multiple kids with skills play with a higher level of talent and exposure to good coaching on these teams. Lacrosse will become what golf is where it’s a “rich mans” sport. There is too much talent on LI to allow that to happen to maintain this sports heritage here.

The question I have, all these coaches, former great players and leaders of these clubs; how did you get to where you are in youth lacrosse and did your parents have to invest in comparison thousands of dollars per year to have you play and get to a top level? I know mine didn’t and my point on this topic, if we are talking about transparency; all these clubs saying the right words on focusing on the kids, building their IQ, etc. Yes these will do this if they make, play and pay for that team but is that truly their transparent intention.

Yes, its business and yes they have to make money, and yes it cost allot to put the time in etc., however these teams/clubs have increased some 30-50% in the last 2-3 years. No business increases that much and your paychecks aren’t increasing that fast, so for how long can we keep LI competitive if we are cannibalizing ourselves with for profit first, value and teaching second.

The sad part, there is no alternative and challenge each club to look within to state their purpose. Tryouts, $$60-$200 – that is all profit with no insight into the % chance of making the club from the previous year’s team – are they looking to persuade people from trying out or just make more money? YoY 20% team increase with the same service, not major changes to offerings, for what? Did you need to pay the coaches more? The tournament costs aren’t out at the time of pricing out the teams cost so why the increase?

Problem is we pay for this because we as parents have the false perception that if we don’t out kids will fall behind and we have no other options. Some of the greatest players who are listed on many of the teams websites as coaches played other sports over the summer and their skills as a lacrosse player would be on comparison to todays as good if not better. So do we need to have 8-14 year olds involved in $1500 teams, well parents of today are conditioned to think so but I would challenge them to ask all these big time coaches if they played for the Express’ the world in summer of 1987 (you might be surprised they didn’t exist but that player still went onto Syracuse on scholarship)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please do not complain about practice locations when you belong to a "TRAVEL TEAM" , if you choose a program to follow and play , realize the word before team which is travel and does not only pertain to going away to tournaments but to go where ever it is necessary to practice. I know many suffolk kids who commute into nassau and some nassau / western suffolk travel way out east to practice for a top tier team.
You cannot get what you want all the time but one thing is for sure ,if you put your faith in a particular program which is scattered with talent from all over , and the coaches have certain locations to obtain fields and holds above and beyond practices , you need to embrace and fill that tank up , and enjoy your journey.

Practice locations! Welcome to my 1.5 hour one-way (in traffic) to practice last season...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tryout Transparency???
There is none.
There is a lot of back door offer's/acceptances with clubs of all levels.

Would be nice to get ratings card or some feed back on how the kids did in the try-out. And having the team coaches do the ratings is even worse. Why not publish the results so the players can learn where they are perceived weaker?

How about age verification? Another topic that the Lax clubs turn a blind eye to.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about this - after paying $$$ for the tryouts and your child makes that team - the organization puts that money towards your annual fee to help reduce the "sticker shock" to play for that team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How about this - after paying $$$ for the tryouts and your child makes that team - the organization puts that money towards your annual fee to help reduce the "sticker shock" to play for that team.

The club will simply charge more by the amount of the tryout fee.
Example: club wants a profit of $100 on a gross of $1000.
Tryout 100
Winter league 100
Spring $100
Team tuitionb 700

Gross income $1, 000
Minus expenses 900
Net $100

If you refund the tryout cost they will faise the tuition by $100 so th they will still make their nut. Its just like corporate taxes, if the rate goes up they just pass the increase onto the consumer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Income
20 players @ $1200 each $24,000
Expenses
4 Tournaments at $1000 $4,000
Jerseys @ $75 each (*20) $1,500
Equipment @ $300 each $6,000
Swag @ $100 each $2,000
Coaches (2 @ $2K) $4,000
Profit $9,500

Obviously these are general numbers, but I think the clubs could afford to use the try-out fee as a deposit.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Income
Expenses
Swag @ $100 each $2,000
Coaches (2 @ $2K) $4,000
Profit $9,500

Obviously these are general numbers, but I think the clubs could afford to use the try-out fee as a deposit.
If you think that paid coaches are receiving $2,000 for an entire seasonal year, you are woefully mistaken.

Second, unless you are playing on the street in front of your home, someone is paying for permits and field time.

BOTC could go on-and-on with expenses that you have missed in this equation however this does go to demonstrate just how uninformed some parents are when it comes to having a grip on the underlying costs of operating a club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Income
Expenses
Swag @ $100 each $2,000
Coaches (2 @ $2K) $4,000
Profit $9,500

If you think that paid coaches are receiving $2,000 for an entire seasonal year, you are woefully mistaken.

Second, unless you are playing on the street in front of your home, someone is paying for permits and field time.

BOTC could go on-and-on with expenses that you have missed in this equation however this does go to demonstrate just how uninformed some parents are when it comes to having a grip on the underlying costs of operating a club.

Honest question- If most HS coaches get between 5,000 and 8,000 what is the range for club coaches?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Income
Expenses
Swag @ $100 each $2,000
Coaches (2 @ $2K) $4,000
Profit $9,500

I don't understand. So many begrudge somebody for starting a business or what they charge for running a business. These are (mostly) for profit entities.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Income
Expenses
Swag @ $100 each $2,000
Coaches (2 @ $2K) $4,000
Profit $9,500

ok, but you also need to consider that many teams have other charges $75-$-100 for each tournament(some even charge for tournaments they themselves own),250-300 for the winter league, 250 or so for team training. the amount of money flowing is incredible. That is why so many are starting up programs, most to make money and a few as a reaction to what is going on. We can only hope that competition brings down the cost for kids to play. Being from L.I. it always gave me pride to know that we produced great teams & players from regular working class towns & families. I only hope that we don't price ourselves out of the sport.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A good coach can cost up to 5 grand when you figure in his travel expenses and hotel room. That being said, many many teams have parent coaches and then its basically free for the club, just letting the kid play on the cuff. In other clubs the owners are also the coaches.Most teams carry 22 as well an dusualy charge around 1600.
Income
Expenses
Swag @ $100 each $2,000
Coaches (2 @ $2K) $4,000
Profit $9,500

I don't understand. So many begrudge somebody for starting a business or what they charge for running a business. These are (mostly) for profit entities.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Remember that this thread was originally started to cover Tryouts Transparency; making sure that parents are getting sufficient disclosure and, if not, what can be improved for next year's tryout season.

Let's offer another idea. Several clubs this season have started to offer pre-tryout clinics (usually free) to allow parents and players to sample a program before plunking down money for a formal tryout.

Would more of these meet-and-greet clinics help parents and players map out their tryout season? Are these sessions proving useful to parents wanting to know the coaches in a new program?

What's Your View?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the warm-up clinic's are a good idea. Gives the parents an opportunity to see what kind of people are involved with the clubs. And the kids get a chance to work out the kinks.
It would be good if they could do more than two groupings, one of the warm-ups had the boys split in 2-6 & 7-10 (grades).
Obviously more groupings require a bigger staff. Fully aware of time limitations but there is a big difference in 2nd graders skill set and a 6th graders.
On the whole, I think it's a great idea.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Remember that this thread was originally started to cover Tryouts Transparency; making sure that parents are getting sufficient disclosure and, if not, what can be improved for next year's tryout season.

Let's offer another idea. Several clubs this season have started to offer pre-tryout clinics (usually free) to allow parents and players to sample a program before plunking down money for a formal tryout.

Would more of these meet-and-greet clinics help parents and players map out their tryout season? Are these sessions proving useful to parents wanting to know the coaches in a new program?

What's Your View?

Great idea. More chances to show a coach your skills and get feedback. I think it is hard to catch all the players in two sessions of tryouts - but going beyond that is impractical. I think the coaches should charge and limit it to 20-25 players and schedule it. I know it is happening and has with other clubs - the kids show believe me. Anything for more exposure beyond the tryout chaos. I doubt extreme added anybody by surprise - they had to know kids from a prior workouts. And I think that is a good thing.

Like Reply Quote
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard