BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,198
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 78 of 220 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes 2017, I only state this as someone previously told me I knew nothing about the White team and how and why it was created, the reasons to create the White team is simple:

1. REVENUE !!!!!!!
2. They are only in 9th grade, take them in and if they turn into a stud player,,, BINGO if not,,,,,refer to reason #1 (REVENUE!!!!)
Any other reasons someone may think of needs to see the forest from the trees.

As to earlier posts about LOYALTY,,,,,,,please give me a break,,,,,they want your money,,,,, most 2017 players purple players have been around for years, when the team needed to improve and asked for a second practice each week where was the Loyalty when each player had to show up with CASH.
The Smiths are running a business and feel you should be loyal to their product.
They are Loyal to the Ben Franklin's they are stashing away.

I am not complaining here, just being a realist, let the girls go out and work hard but also sign them up for the PSAT class and sign them up for community service programs, in other words don't put all your eggs in the Lax basket folks or your in for a rude awakening and something your daughter will live with.

THere is a lot more opportunity for WIS (Woman in Science)

Best of Luck to all of you.

Yes, it's a business, just like ALL the other travel programs. I hope everyone knows that by now. My daughter's team also paid for extra practices, and I don't have a problem with that. You want them for free? Then all the teams have to be offered extra practices for free...like you said - it's a business. Let's move on, and also like you said - good luck to all the girls! Have fun at the fall 7v7's, and in the winter leagues!

I have 2 daughters who play YJ. They have both had extra practices and I have never ever been charged.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ teams don't pay for extra practices!! My daughters team had 2 a week and I didn't pay for any of it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ, 91, Express and Elevate have 2 a week, how many does TG,,,,,we just made a team and thats a pretty important fact that honestly I overlooked.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ teams don't pay for extra practices!! My daughters team had 2 a week and I didn't pay for any of it!

Congratulations! A friend of mine's daughter is on YJ, and they have plenty of practices, with a parent coach though. They don't need to charge, because they don't pay parent coaches. He was hoping for a new coach this year, but no luck. Many pros and cons to every program. Obviously, you've decided that YJ is best for you and your daughter, which is great. Best of luck to her, and have fun!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What role does politics and connections play in this club????

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You actually pay for extra practices, I hope you are only paying for renting a place to practice ie indoor space. If any of that money is going into your coaches pockets you would have to be ridiculous to pay for it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You actually pay for extra practices, I hope you are only paying for renting a place to practice ie indoor space. If any of that money is going into your coaches pockets you would have to be ridiculous to pay for it.

Every program doesn't offer unlimited practices for the original base fee. Sometimes you have to pay for space and coaching. Each program announces how many practices, and then you get some extra, and sometimes you have pony up. Every program is not for everyone. Everyone has to find the one that's best for them...money is much more of an issue for some people than others. some have no problem paying, and some do. Whatever...as long as each family gets what it's looking for, one way or another...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As opposed to paying for lessons from one of CR's girls who happen to be charging you $75 an hour. What a joke. But a guess one must do what one must do to stay on blue. Now that is ridiculous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Paid coaches shouldn't be paid for conducting "Extra" practices?? Why not??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many reasons why not but I will give you a couple
1 If you have a family on a tight budget they should know the cost of being on a team beforehand
2. Now you have set up a situation where Bill Smith has no oversight and he will end up having coaches being paid whatever they feel is fair for their time and not what he feels is fair
3 if your paid high school coach charged kids for Saturday practices would you have an issue w it

If your coach is pocketing money for extra practices for the team you should let bill smith know because he is going to want a piece of that as he should because it is his club not the coaches

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1 If you have a family on a tight budget they should know the cost of being on a team beforehand
2. Now you have set up a situation where Bill Smith has no oversight and he will end up having coaches being paid whatever they feel is fair for their time and not what he feels is fair
3 if your paid high school coach charged kids for Saturday practices would you have an issue w it

If your coach is pocketing money for extra practices for the team you should let bill smith know because he is going to want a piece of that as he should because it is his club not the coaches

1. the extra practices are optional, so no need to impact family budget
2. BS makes the arrangements, sets the price, and pays the coaches
3. HS is completely different than travel

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My close friend tells me that one of the 2017 Goalies is a 2018 grad year player.
Do teams normally let girls play up and if that were the case why wouldn't BS play his niece who is a 2018 grad up as she is highly regarded. What happens when the 2017 girls graduate, where does this goalie go for her last year ?
I see this mixing of years as a potential problem for the girl who is brought up or some poor kid playing 2018 and is booted her last year to bring this girl down to her actual graduating year. Is there rules for this as I know there is movement at the U15 tournament but was not aware this could go on during the summer travel season.
If BS would not move his niece up, who is a better goalie than this new girl then if I were the Goalie who was getting moved up parents I would be concerned and asking questions. I get it that goalies are not easy to come by but where does this stop,,,,,,,like the u15 do they start mixing teams by birth date and not graduating year.
We like the club but this has a few of us raising our eyebrows about what the main objective is here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true on my team as we pay the coach directly and if you think who goes has no bearing on playing time you are wrong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true on my team as we pay the coach directly and if you think who goes has no bearing on playing time you are wrong.

I guess each team is different. You might be paying the coach directly, but I'm sure BS is involved in setting the price. The original post said that the coaches are doing it on their own without his oversight. I doubt that. I never said practice and dedication don't affect playing time. Again, that's different for each team, and each player. Just said it doesn't have to impact the family budget. Just like fall tournaments and winter league, extra training, etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I guess each team is different. You might be paying the coach directly, but I'm sure BS is involved in setting the price. The original post said that the coaches are doing it on their own without his oversight. I doubt that. I never said practice and dedication don't affect playing time. Again, that's different for each team, and each player. Just said it doesn't have to impact the family budget. Just like fall tournaments and winter league, extra training, etc.

If it does affect playing time that is wrong, you may have a kids family who selected to play TG who takes the budget aspect into account and now finds they are getting less playing time because they are perceived as" less dedicated ".The pay more play more aspect of lacrosse is wrong and yes it is the case with most clubs, was hoping TG would be different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My close friend tells me that one of the 2017 Goalies is a 2018 grad year player.
Do teams normally let girls play up and if that were the case why wouldn't BS play his niece who is a 2018 grad up as she is highly regarded. What happens when the 2017 girls graduate, where does this goalie go for her last year ?
I see this mixing of years as a potential problem for the girl who is brought up or some poor kid playing 2018 and is booted her last year to bring this girl down to her actual graduating year. Is there rules for this as I know there is movement at the U15 tournament but was not aware this could go on during the summer travel season.
If BS would not move his niece up, who is a better goalie than this new girl then if I were the Goalie who was getting moved up parents I would be concerned and asking questions. I get it that goalies are not easy to come by but where does this stop,,,,,,,like the u15 do they start mixing teams by birth date and not graduating year.
We like the club but this has a few of us raising our eyebrows about what the main objective is here.

Was that an 2018 goalie for last summer or are you talking about this as a move for next summer? 2018 had 4 goalies for three teams last year. That's a tough position with all the politics that go on. One team had two goalies splitting time while the other two teams did not, seems very unfair to both of them and one of them may very well be a top goalie for the age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If all the goalies involved are good enough to play on the top team then it will make no difference when this kid moves to their proper age in that most likely when that time does come those kids will already be committed. Goalie is really the position that this happens a lot and having two goalie on a team is really ideal for many reasons.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was that an 2018 goalie for last summer or are you talking about this as a move for next summer? 2018 had 4 goalies for three teams last year. That's a tough position with all the politics that go on. One team had two goalies splitting time while the other two teams did not, seems very unfair to both of them and one of them may very well be a top goalie for the age group.

Refering to this coming year, a 2018 graduate will play for 2017 Purple, the girl is new to Top Guns. If the Goalie is good enough to play up a year why would she not just stay in her own year and play on Black, the reason for this is pretty simple, BS niece is the 2018 Black goalie and she is not going to share time with anyone it appears. Very few teams have the luxury of two goalies but here is an opportunity to have two solid goalies on one team and it is not being handled that way.
The best 2016 YJ goalie is Charlette Campbell a St. Anthony's student and about as good a High School Goalie as you will find. She splits time with another Goalie on that team. That team gets a lot of looks from Colleges and both those Goalies are showcased, and in the proper year.
It seems to be allowed but I just think it is done without the best interest of the player as no one is walking around tournaments stating the kid is playing up a year and its not like you have this player on a Black team.
This goalie is good enough to move up but likely by being on Purple never get to go with a team to U15.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The way they should handle it is have a goalie for each team and let the extra goalie float between the three teams so they all get even time. Right now the black and white goalies get all the time in net and the two purples get half the time. Or maybe cut the fees in half for them (yeah right).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Refering to this coming year, a 2018 graduate will play for 2017 Purple, the girl is new to Top Guns. If the Goalie is good enough to play up a year why would she not just stay in her own year and play on Black, the reason for this is pretty simple, BS niece is the 2018 Black goalie and she is not going to share time with anyone it appears. Very few teams have the luxury of two goalies but here is an opportunity to have two solid goalies on one team and it is not being handled that way.
The best 2016 YJ goalie is Charlette Campbell a St. Anthony's student and about as good a High School Goalie as you will find. She splits time with another Goalie on that team. That team gets a lot of looks from Colleges and both those Goalies are showcased, and in the proper year.
It seems to be allowed but I just think it is done without the best interest of the player as no one is walking around tournaments stating the kid is playing up a year and its not like you have this player on a Black team.
This goalie is good enough to move up but likely by being on Purple never get to go with a team to U15.

Both 2018 goalies (not 2016 like YJ goalie) are better off getting twice the playing time and probably facing more than twice the number of shots,than if they played on the same team. The one playing up will start getting exposure one year earlier, and she'll get re-evaluated each year. If she's that good, she won't get overlooked, and BS & SS won't hesitate to bring her to U15, if she's good enough.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does anyone know when rosters will be out?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good question. I would hope soon since the deadline was yesterday to secure the spot on the teams with the $500 payment.

As a new parent to Top Guns do they usually send out any type of welcoming email to the individual teams and parents listing coaches, expectations, fall/winter plans?

Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you will receive email about optional winter leagues late oct. early november. 2015,2016,and I believe 2017 should receive info about fall tournaments within a short time. As for coaches I believe that was in the original email

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it's official, Top Guns and Yellow Jackets are the same club with different colors. Same politics, same complaints, same obnoxious parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a proud TG parent, I find that statement very rude. The parents that we have met are very nice people

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As a proud TG parent, I find that statement very rude. The parents that we have met are very nice people

He should have stated not all the parents but there are a handful and the apple has not fallen far from the tree as some of the girls have a bit of a chip.
This goes far beyond club lacrosse though and the best I can say is consider the source.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think it's official, Top Guns and Yellow Jackets are the same club with different colors. Same politics, same complaints, same obnoxious parents.

Very well said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very well said.

That's not well said - it's a dumb, generic comment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is the case TG seems to be more YJ like every year and why wouldn't it as the Smiths are obviously following CR game plan,except for the horrible uniforms.In both organizations money is the main factor followed by politics.If anyone in these clubs doubts this they are fooling themselves.The main difference I have seen between the parents is that YJ parents have come to accept this while many TG parents do not want to believe it, although it seems even they are starting to see the reality of it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is the case TG seems to be more YJ like every year and why wouldn't it as the Smiths are obviously following CR game plan,except for the horrible uniforms.In both organizations money is the main factor followed by politics.If anyone in these clubs doubts this they are fooling themselves.The main difference I have seen between the parents is that YJ parents have come to accept this while many TG parents do not want to believe it, although it seems even they are starting to see the reality of it.

Where does your daughter play? Top Guns?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think each parent of a child (and the child herself) that has a daughter in any lax organization has to evaluate for themselves is this right for them (financially, travel time, teammate wise, playing time, politics etc.). If you join and and don't like how its being run...you leave at the end of the year, pretty simple. No one is forcing me to have my daughter join anything my wife and I make those decisions. Your probably not wrong in your assessment but we are paying so its up to us as parents to see if it works or not for our children.

I don't endorse any organization even though my daughter just joined TG this year and i am a new parent to travel lax so i have no allegiance to anyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He should have stated not all the parents but there are a handful and the apple has not fallen far from the tree as some of the girls have a bit of a chip.
This goes far beyond club lacrosse though and the best I can say is consider the source.
Those handful are the idiots that have their kids play on town teams that they don’t belong on. Last year I listened to two of these moms ( big phonies by the way) complain about the level of talent and volume of kids on their own town team, so they moved them to another town team where the talent is a lot stronger (This team rarely loses). Sure enough at tryouts, they were talking about joining the same town team again. I’m wondering if my kid can join this other team, because her town team isn’t that solid. I’m sure parents on both town teams can’t stand these people.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very well said.

sorry bill but it's not dumb or generic, it's the truth

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Very well said.

sorry bill but it's not dumb or generic, it's the truth

you're just another one of those obnoxious parents you're complaining about. where does your daughter play?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I took my daughter to the 2018 Top Gun tryout last month and when I got there I was impressed on how organized they were. Little did I know what I was in for. My daughter and just about her whole current team came down to tryout that day in the hopes of making one of the teams. Wouldn't you know that NOT ONE GIRL MADE ANY TEAM. Billy's response was that "They miss a few every now and then".
Granted, some of the girls just cant play at a high level and I get that, but Bill Smith missed the boat on several top players who just recently tried out for another top lacrosse program and made that Lacrosse clubs A and B teams. These girls are good athletic LAX players and Bill and Shannon let a college friendship control a tryout.
After looking into it, we the parents discovered that Shannon apparently played LAX at Northwestern with our coach. Was it a coincidence that not 1 player made any team?? They took 15 kids $35 per kid and had NO INTENTIONS OF ANY OF THOSE GIRLS TO MAKE ANY OF THE TEAMS. Its disgusting what they did to these girls.
Im so glad my daughter IS NOT PLAYING FOR TOP GUN. Talk about politics and who you know. The only ones here who get punished are the 13 year old girls. Shame on you Bill and Shannon..Shame..

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I took my daughter to the 2018 Top Gun tryout last month and when I got there I was impressed on how organized they were. Little did I know what I was in for. My daughter and just about her whole current team came down to tryout that day in the hopes of making one of the teams. Wouldn't you know that NOT ONE GIRL MADE ANY TEAM. Billy's response was that "They miss a few every now and then".
Granted, some of the girls just cant play at a high level and I get that, but Bill Smith missed the boat on several top players who just recently tried out for another top lacrosse program and made that Lacrosse clubs A and B teams. These girls are good athletic LAX players and Bill and Shannon let a college friendship control a tryout.
After looking into it, we the parents discovered that Shannon apparently played LAX at Northwestern with our coach. Was it a coincidence that not 1 player made any team?? They took 15 kids $35 per kid and had NO INTENTIONS OF ANY OF THOSE GIRLS TO MAKE ANY OF THE TEAMS. Its disgusting what they did to these girls.
Im so glad my daughter IS NOT PLAYING FOR TOP GUN. Talk about politics and who you know. The only ones here who get punished are the 13 year old girls. Shame on you Bill and Shannon..Shame..

There's always some conspiracy, or behind the scenes reason that girls don't make it....another mystery solved!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh yeah, he missed the boat. I'm sure they had good reasons. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh yeah, he missed the boat. I'm sure they had good reasons. Good luck.
It’s no better on the YJ side. They have a Friends and Family package that guarantees you a spot on the Blue team regardless of your skill level. There are kids on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams that are better than the kids that play on the last string on the Blue team, but because they’re not a friend of the coach or have some kind of family connection to another coach, they don’t make the team. The only difference between TG and YJ is that CR keeps adding more teams each year, so if you tryout there, you’ll probably make a team. Good Luck

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not a conspiracy and they are actually better evaluators of talent than mommies and daddies?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter has tried out for every major club team on L.I. Y.J. , T.G. 91 , Express, Suffolk All Stars and Liberty, and I can tell you that without a question only the last club runs a truly unbiased tryout. Many people will say that the director only pulls from her home school and is biased to those girls, but the truth is if you had a talent pool like that you would also pull from it at the same rate. I have seen the director drop girls to the second team and even cut girls from her home school, that is what the doubters from outside the club don't see and where there comments show there ignorance. With there tryout still to come in October I implore any parent that is tired of the T.G. Y.J. politics to attend there tryout, If you think your daughter is a good player she stands her best chance of making an "A" team at this club. I assure you that the director and coaches are as unbiased as possible. I have no monetary alliance to this club, I do not coach for this club, I do not live in that school district, I am just a very happy consumer of her product and would like to see her club progress with the best players from all over Long Island,.

Like Reply Quote
Page 78 of 220 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard