BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 88 of 97 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 96 97
Re: Westchester NY Youth Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There will be some movement before the seedings come out, but mostly in the middle of the pack.

A - Top 4 are pretty much locked in. Scarsdale took care of business against North Rockland. I don't think that should be a big surprise to anyone. North Rockland has the easiest path to the final but I think that's where it ends. The Mamo/Scarsdale winner should be in the states.

B - Top 4 also locked. Only movement I really see is who is the 2 or 3 between Mahopac an Yorktown. Much like A, one of these two go on to states. Greeley played a tough one against John Jay, but that was the most realistic game of their season. Somers will not be as easy this time around but they do have the easiest path to the Final for the first time in a few years. B was the group of death the last few years, C looks like it is now the toughest.

C- This is probably the class with the most realistic seeding. Pelham has been an enigma all season: beating Pleasentville and Briarcliff, but losing to JJCR and Rye - so it depends on which team shows up. I think it is still JJCR vs Rye for the final. Tappan Zee could be an interesting Semi-final matchup. they always seem to turn it up come playoff time

D - Its all P'ville to lose. They have to get through a somewhat-resurging Bronxville first and then Briarcliff in the finals - barring any major shuffling in the seedings

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Class A- Scarsdale or Mamo, I am gonna lean Scarsdale because they seem to get hot in playoffs.

Class B- Pretty impressed by Greeley in their game against JJ-CR, if they play like that they will at least have a shot against Mahopac and Yorktown. They are very Pleasantville like in the sense they have zero commits, but play together very well. However, I still favor Yorktown overall even if they lost to Mahopac earlier. All that said I wonder what happens with the Greeley Coach after this year; from what people have told me no one expected him to turn around the team this fast, albeit it was a soft schedule. However, 14-2 with only two one goals losses is way above what anyone expect with this team. Last guy that had Greeley playing that well was Colsey who left for Ridgefield who I would say is doing pretty well for himself and Ridgefield.

Class C- I really think that Rye is the favorite considering they beat JJ-CR, but who knows anything could happen.

Class D- Pleasantville no question

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Class B- Pretty impressed by Greeley in their game against JJ-CR, if they play like that they will at least have a shot against Mahopac and Yorktown. They are very Pleasantville like in the sense they have zero commits, but play together very well. However, I still favor Yorktown overall even if they lost to Mahopac earlier. All that said I wonder what happens with the Greeley Coach after this year; from what people have told me no one expected him to turn around the team this fast, albeit it was a soft schedule. However, 14-2 with only two one goals losses is way above what anyone expect with this team. Last guy that had Greeley playing that well was Colsey who left for Ridgefield who I would say is doing pretty well for himself and Ridgefield.

That's incredibly generous on greeley considering just how soft that schedule is. Any team would have gone 14-2. They can score in bunches against average teams, but the gaudy scoring comes crashing back down against better teams like Somers and Jay and even Carmel held them to 6 or 7. JJ was a good game for them, they stepped up and were in it at the end and may have won with another possession or two.

Colsey wasn't the only good coach to run from that place (and he is still a teacher there - so what does that tell you?) The current Somers coach was coach of the year when he was pushed out from Greeley then they had a bunch of coaches every year until the last guy and he was run out too. They can score, but can they play D? they have their basketball and soccer coaches as assistants because no one wants to coach there. Even with this season going so well on paper, parents & fans are still grumbling and players transfering out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Potash is building a culture there from bottom to top, just play their youth teams , in years to come, Greeley will continue to be competitive while others like John Jay are about to hit a brick wall for 4-5 years as they have nothing in the pipeline

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Potash is building a culture there from bottom to top, just play their youth teams , in years to come, Greeley will continue to be competitive while others like John Jay are about to hit a brick wall for 4-5 years as they have nothing in the pipeline
The dominance in youth that the parents love to hear themselves talk about has yet to translate to the high school level. They brag about beating yorktown in 7/8 all the time and then get their butts handed to them in high school. Maybe in the next few years they can make it work as Jay drops off and we've been hearing for years that Yorktown is about to take a drop off as well. It may happen. But they are losing more of their better players to private school and playing this soft a schedule is not exactly challenging themselves to beat those better teams. Don't forget the parents influence there too - lax off the wrong ones and he'll be out just like all the rest. I don't doubt the possibility exists, but I will believe it when I see it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm interested in Class B and why does Lakeland/Panas get approval to play down a class when they should be in A?

Looking at Lohud, L/P was in the Class finals in 2018 & 2019.But now they are back in Class B.

Using US News World Report for my data, the following schools enrollment are:

Class A – Scarsdale (1,508), Mamaroneck (1,644), North Rockland (2,597) .

Class B – Yorktown (1,067) , Mahopac (1,324) , Greeley (1,168) , Lakeland (963)/Panas (926); 1,889, Somers (1,056).

Sure seems that L/P is receiving a favorable ruling by the Section leaders. It would be fair to Section 1 to put them back Class A or have them be stand alone programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm interested in Class B and why does Lakeland/Panas get approval to play down a class when they should be in A?

Looking at Lohud, L/P was in the Class finals in 2018 & 2019.But now they are back in Class B.

Class B – Yorktown (1,067) , Mahopac (1,324) , Greeley (1,168) , Lakeland (963)/Panas (926); 1,889, Somers (1,056).

Sure seems that L/P is receiving a favorable ruling by the Section leaders. It would be fair to Section 1 to put them back Class A or have them be stand alone programs.

Those numbers are not what NYS uses, if Kevin Devaney's site is to be believed, although your conclusion would still be correct. On his site, for 2023/24, L and P combined would be above all schools except for New Ro, NR, Arl, MV, WP, JJEF. Maybe they will be in A next year.

The more important question is why do they play as a combined team. Both schools are rather large, and you would be able to double the amount of boys participating in a varsity sport. Even if participation is largely from the Lakeland side (just a guess), it would be a chance to get Panas kids involved and there are plenty of schools for them to play while they get up to speed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The class split is odd too... for the last few years JJCR, Rye, Tappan Zee, Brewster were all in B as well.

A has 11 teams, B has 10, C has 14 and D has 15. Seems to me that some C teams should be up in B

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the one difference this time around is that Potash coaches a lot of these kids in travel- they are loyal to Potash, well most are anyway and even though some will leave for greener pastures , they should still be competitive,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the one difference this time around is that Potash coaches a lot of these kids in travel- they are loyal to Potash, well most are anyway and even though some will leave for greener pastures , they should still be competitive,
So youre saying he plays mainly the guys he has on his club team, at the expense of some older guys who have been there? And I’ve starters are still in that late games of blowouts to pad their stats and this is the “culture” you are promoting? Thats basically like a mid A level club team playing against lesser competition and claiming it’s some sort of resurgence.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last day of games saw some big swings in the seedings:

A - unless something fool happens, we will get the Mamo/Scarsdale final we (maybe just me) thought we'd miss out on. We will see if North Rockland is for real, but they have to get through Arlington - which has prove in the past to be a giant-slayer.

B - Yorktown sniped the 1 seed over Greeley at the buzzer by virtue of Briarcliff's win over Haldane, giving them the extra bonus point they needed. Greeley's path to the final just got a lot tougher - a rematch with Clarkstown South and then a surging Mahopac. Get through that and it's Yorktown. Again. At least this time they will have the added bounce of it being the final. The stats on Yorktown appearing in the section final is staggering. The Somers-Lakeland game is interesting though.

C - Jay locks down the 1 seed and Rye - who lost another starter to injury - is the 2. I'd argue Rye has the slight edge on the path to the final. Let's see what Pearl River or Tappan Zee can muster and Rye has Byram to battle first. Jay looks like they have another date with Pelham. Which Pelham team will show up for that one? looking Like a Jay/Rye final

D - No Surprise on the 1 seed. Final 4 is P'ville/Bronxville and Haldane/Briarcliff I would think. (Bronxville and Briarcliff as 5 & 6 seeds just looks silly)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A couple of upsets and one big surprise in the start of the Quarters:
JJCR, Mahopac, Greeley and Yorktown all won easily.

The 2 big upsets are the L/P win over Somers and Pelham going home at the hands of Hen Hud. Pearl River with a solid win as well.

BIG surprise was Rye needing OT and a comeback to overcome Byram who had a 2 goal lead late in the 4th and had two great looks in OT as well.

C is probably the most balanced class this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great win for Pearl River today over TZ. 16-11 was the final. An 8th grader went 18-20 facing off and gave them the edge. Looks like lacrosse is taking off in that town. If they can keep kids from leaving for jersey prep schools they can be relevant for a while.

Bad news is, they run into Rye…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great win for Pearl River today over TZ. 16-11 was the final. An 8th grader went 18-20 facing off and gave them the edge. Looks like lacrosse is taking off in that town. If they can keep kids from leaving for jersey prep schools they can be relevant for a while.

Bad news is, they run into Rye…
That FO work could be the key vs. Rye. They are down 2 starters and a FO guy and they've struggled at the dot. They may have the advantage in the rest of the game but a smart ball possession game and keeping it close - you're not out of it!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The 2 big upsets are the L/P win over Somers and Pelham going home at the hands of Hen Hud. Pearl River with a solid win as well.

BIG surprise was Rye needing OT and a comeback to overcome Byram who had a 2 goal lead late in the 4th and had two great looks in OT as well.

Sure seems that Somers wasn't ready/prepared for L/P. One L/P parent was shocked Somers, especially since Somers has more talented players than L/P.

Has the countdown clock started for Coach VD. His coaching career involves New Canaan, Put Valley, Greeley and Somers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sure seems that Somers wasn't ready/prepared for L/P. One L/P parent was shocked Somers, especially since Somers has more talented players than L/P.

Has the countdown clock started for Coach VD. His coaching career involves New Canaan, Put Valley, Greeley and Somers.
No Way. Vin is one of the top coaches in Section 1. Tell me any other coach in the section that does not have multiple stops?
He was pushed out of Greeley by the administration when he was coach of the year and went to the finals (broken record much?)
True, Somers did not live up to their preseason hype, but I wonder if that was players relying on that hype and not living up to it? I don't have insider knowledge but I can't believe he's on the hot seat after 1 down-ish year. They were relatively young this year too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is crickets in here... where did everyone go?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No real surprises in the win/loss column yesterday.

Yorktown is going to need more offensive firepower than the 8-5 edge they had on L/P to beat Mahopac in the finals.

Mahopac is peaking perfectly and they are more ready for this final than any other team is across all classes. It's hard to beat Yorktown twice in a season, it's going to be even harder in the finals AT Yorktown, no less but I think they are the best team to make it happen. Greeley - I can't say it's a real surprise, that schedule was not very strong and when they ran up against even a decent team their scoring numbers dropped and yesterday it happened again. There is not a lot of long-term success playing high school like it's a summer club team. They have the ta

Rye and JJCR are headed for a battle. They each had a relatively light day in the semi-finals. My money right now is on Jay but it should be a great one. Nice B/C double header next week at 'Town

Today is the A/D semis and some good games on tap!
I don't think I am coming off my prediction that it's a Mamo/Scarsdale final in A and D it's Pleasentville and Briarcliff. Today will not be an easy one for the Panthers, but i think they pull it out by 2-3.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yorktown is going to need more offensive firepower than the 8-5 edge they had on L/P to beat Mahopac in the finals.

Mahopac is peaking perfectly and they are more ready for this final than any other team is across all classes. It's hard to beat Yorktown twice in a season, it's going to be even harder in the finals AT Yorktown, no less but I think they are the best team to make it happen.

Rye and JJCR are headed for a battle. They each had a relatively light day in the semi-finals. My money right now is on Jay but it should be a great one.

I don't think I am coming off my prediction that it's a Mamo/Scarsdale final in A and D it's Pleasentville and Briarcliff. Today will not be an easy one for the Panthers, but i think they pull it out by 2-3.

A few things:
1. So the playoff seeds ended up being fair despite a lot of worry as up until last game, top teams vaulted into top seeds. The system works!
2. Yorktown over Mahopac but maybe not
3. JJ beats Rye due to faceoff, no McCarthy, and JJ having some more finishers
4. Pville again defeats Bcliff, maybe not in a blowout like regular season but with some buffer.
5. Scars vs Mamo who the heck knows? Scarsdale owns faceoff and coaching, Mamo has the playmakers

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mahopac is peaking perfectly and they are more ready for this final than any other team is across all classes. It's hard to beat Yorktown twice in a season, it's going to be even harder in the finals AT Yorktown, no less but I think they are the best team to make it happen.

Rye and JJCR are headed for a battle. They each had a relatively light day in the semi-finals. My money right now is on Jay but it should be a great one.

A few things:
1. So the playoff seeds ended up being fair despite a lot of worry as up until last game, top teams vaulted into top seeds. The system works!
4. Pville again defeats Bcliff, maybe not in a blowout like regular season but with some buffer.
5. Scars vs Mamo who the heck knows? Scarsdale owns faceoff and coaching, Mamo has the playmakers

1. I'll concede that I was one of the ones banging on the seedings. Last day of the season and things cleared up a little. I do think it rewards softer scheduling but the on-field play almost always trumps it.
2. I think Yorktown is more of a tossup now than ever. Mahopac is on a roll BUT it will be really hard to go into Yorktown's home field and pull it off. Today will have two really good games...
3. I'll give JJCR the edge with everything you pointed out - Rye tends to figure it out though so it will be a good game I think. JJCR missed out by a goal next year and they are hungrier than ever!
4. P'ville i agree, but that Bronxville game was too close for comfort for me.
5. Mamo/Scarsdale will be another epic one.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few things:

1. I'll concede that I was one of the ones banging on the seedings. Last day of the season and things cleared up a little. I do think it rewards softer scheduling but the on-field play almost always trumps it.
2. I think Yorktown is more of a tossup now than ever. Mahopac is on a roll BUT it will be really hard to go into Yorktown's home field and pull it off. Today will have two really good games...
3. I'll give JJCR the edge with everything you pointed out - Rye tends to figure it out though so it will be a good game I think. JJCR missed out by a goal next year and they are hungrier than ever!

Saw a lot of good team defense, very few transition chances, and some uninspiring offense in championship games. No games were great from neutral fan POV. For their class, Pville def looked like best team that could go far.

A- Scarsdale does it again. Not a pretty game. Scarsdale got nice Q1 lead and rode that to the W. They messed up less and had FO dominance. Mamo cut it to 8-7 but it didn't feel like they rallied, more like got some random goals. Lotsa soft calls on both sides kept slowing the game. Mamo goalie looked very scared, Scarsdale goalie did not. 3 in a row this way, wow.
B- Yorktown too good. They looked better throughout. So much good pressure on D.
C- Like Scarsdale, Rye grabbed a fast lead and it held up with good pressure D all game. Rye short fast middie dominated the ball. JJCR got nothing going on offense despite winning faceoffs easily.
D- Pville wins it as expected. Chippy stuff at end led to super weird triple man-down and ejections. Bcliff then could find some room and hit the goal to make it close. Never seen a faceoff with no players on the wings for either team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few things:

Saw a lot of good team defense, very few transition chances, and some uninspiring offense in championship games. No games were great from neutral fan POV. For their class, Pville def looked like best team that could go far.

A- Scarsdale does it again. Not a pretty game. Scarsdale got nice Q1 lead and rode that to the W. They messed up less and had FO dominance. Mamo cut it to 8-7 but it didn't feel like they rallied, more like got some random goals. Lotsa soft calls on both sides kept slowing the game. Mamo goalie looked very scared, Scarsdale goalie did not. 3 in a row this way, wow.
B- Yorktown too good. They looked better throughout. So much good pressure on D.
C- Like Scarsdale, Rye grabbed a fast lead and it held up with good pressure D all game. Rye short fast middie dominated the ball. JJCR got nothing going on offense despite winning faceoffs easily.
D- Pville wins it as expected. Chippy stuff at end led to super weird triple man-down and ejections. Bcliff then could find some room and hit the goal to make it close. Never seen a faceoff with no players on the wings for either team.

A- No horse in the race but that was the absolute worst refereed game I have ever watched. Anyone able to explain the offensive charge on Mamaroneck when the defender ran through the riding midfielder that was initiating contact. The passes being called shots and being given to the wrong team. The late clear that was somehow deemed to have been tipped. His foot was in bounds but the ball was in bounds but one ref calls him out and they somehow it is overturned. How many huddles and confusing calls did they have to change or confirm.......and WOW someone should have mentioned that this is no longer a contact sport because every touch or knockdown was called. Scarsdale wins that game 10 out of 10 due to FOGO but the refs really ruined what could have been a good hard hitting battle like Mondays NCAA Final......and please add a shot clock to public lacrosse. Holding the ball for 3 minutes and no stall calls is boring. HORRIBLE GAME TO WATCH. I know no one wants to ref but for Sectional finals maybe try to find a crew with a clue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few things:

A- No horse in the race but that was the absolute worst refereed game I have ever watched. Anyone able to explain the offensive charge on Mamaroneck when the defender ran through the riding midfielder that was initiating contact. The passes being called shots and being given to the wrong team. The late clear that was somehow deemed to have been tipped. His foot was in bounds but the ball was in bounds but one ref calls him out and they somehow it is overturned. How many huddles and confusing calls did they have to change or confirm.......and WOW someone should have mentioned that this is no longer a contact sport because every touch or knockdown was called. Scarsdale wins that game 10 out of 10 due to FOGO but the refs really ruined what could have been a good hard hitting battle like Mondays NCAA Final......and please add a shot clock to public lacrosse. Holding the ball for 3 minutes and no stall calls is boring. HORRIBLE GAME TO WATCH. I know no one wants to ref but for Sectional finals maybe try to find a crew with a clue.

Scarsdale Coach > Mamaroneck Coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few things:

Stop it. A 3 goal win with 90% possession after being up 6-1 at half and youre gonna call that a coaches win? This board ceases to amaze me with the ridiculous comments. This was Dals game plan, FOGO get us the ball and then we can hold it for 3-4 minute possessions and rip shots at a freshman goalie when you get bored. Coaches made no difference in this game. Talent at specialty positions, fogo and goalie, were the difference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few things:

Stop it. A 3 goal win with 90% possession after being up 6-1 at half and youre gonna call that a coaches win? This board ceases to amaze me with the ridiculous comments. This was Dals game plan, FOGO get us the ball and then we can hold it for 3-4 minute possessions and rip shots at a freshman goalie when you get bored. Coaches made no difference in this game. Talent at specialty positions, fogo and goalie, were the difference.
Put Scarsdale FOGO on Mamaroneck and Mamaroneck wins by more than 3. Even with the bad refs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yup hard game to watch, not great lacrosse.
Yup the refs weren't good. Everyone who has seen Section 1 lacrosse knows whoever falls on the ground gets the ball. So that ridiculous trend continued.
Don't think Scarsdale stalled. We've all seen real stalling and that didnt happen. Mamo had their chances but goalie stopped a lot and Mamo committed tons of TOs especially on clears.
Yup extreme gap on FO and goalie positions was the difference.
Yup coaching gap exists. 3 years and running. Scars def was better prepared for this game, see Q1. They played with more poise. Thats coaching.
Yup the game was all about Quarter 1.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it that Mamo fans always have excuses?
"Put that goalie on Mamo and they win by 3".
That's like saying put Tom Brady on the Jets and even they would win

Mamo is all over social media when they win and crickets when they lose

Parents are entitled and always whining at the refs in the stands

Perhaps that comes from the newer assistant coach who used to coach the youth. He was always ranting about something when the kids were in 5th and 6th grade, seriously?

There are ups and down, try to have some class

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Perhaps Scarsdale fans could try to have some class. Their fans were filming the Mamaroneck players crying as they walked to the bus, standing in their path mocking them until a Yorktown policeman made them get out of the way, and berated them for their behavior with a "Where were you raised that you would behave this way? What is wrong with you?" Their behavior was disgusting.

Scarsdale played well from the start. Their FOGO is amazing and their goalie played well. What would you like Mamaroneck to put on social media to appease you ders faithful?? You're still upset Eric Grenberg crushed you when he was in High School? Move on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why is it that Mamo fans always have excuses?
"Put that goalie on Mamo and they win by 3".
That's like saying put Tom Brady on the Jets and even they would win

Mamo is all over social media when they win and crickets when they lose

Parents are entitled and always whining at the refs in the stands

Perhaps that comes from the newer assistant coach who used to coach the youth. He was always ranting about something when the kids were in 5th and 6th grade, seriously?

There are ups and down, try to have some class

Ok troll,

I'm honestly not from Mamaroneck or Larchmont but watched the game as a neutral and firmly believed that if possession was more even at the X Mamaroneck would have won. Dale was 19/21 on faceoffs. That means they were playing make it take it. Flip that stat and Mamaroneck would win imho. That said, he is not on Mamaroneck so Scarsdale is the better team.

We can also say this, since youre not very nice, Scarsdale is done. The generational golden goose is off to Happy Valley and you will never have another one like that. We will see how good the coach is now.

Also, do many kids post about their losses? and re: ranting in 5th or 6th grade, in my 12 years with 3 boys playing town lacrosse I have never come across a worse group of parents than those in Scarsdale. The parent coaches were rude, obnoxious and ridiculously caught up in their bravado that comes with all the camouflage. Learn to win with class......though its too late because the ride is over. LOVE IT!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also, do many kids post about their losses? and re: ranting in 5th or 6th grade, in my 12 years with 3 boys playing town lacrosse I have never come across a worse group of parents than those in Scarsdale. The parent coaches were rude, obnoxious and ridiculously caught up in their bravado that comes with all the camouflage. Learn to win with class......though its too late because the ride is over. LOVE IT!!!!!

Does one really need to point out the obvious that your last sentence is no better than the behavior you came on here to complain about? It's always someone else, never you guys.

Yes Scarsdale fans can be awful at times and the behavior at the finals was unacceptable. I can say with some significant knowledge knowing that coaching staff, they would not stand for that, but their reach and authority goes so far.

Boorish behavior is not only in one school or a handful. Take a random sampling on a local live game and you will hear it everywhere. so many referees in the stands, it's a wonder there is such a shortage of them on the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few things:

So much to break down on this....

You can't bull dodge anymore. They've effectively ruled that out of the game. I detest it, but that's probably what was called (I'm guessing because I am not sure the specific play you mean let me know when it was in the game and ill see what the play looked like)

I like a good hitting game too but the rules in HS are different than NCAA. I agree with you that it was too softly called.

Shot clock.. NO WAY. You want to ruin HS lacrosse, put a shot clock in and it will turn into 1 of 2 things: Give the ball to the fastest guy and take 100 shots a game hoping to land 20. or teams take it to the corner, kill 60 seconds of clock and then 1-2 pass or force a dodge to a -mediocre - shot. clock is great for PLL, I don't really like it in college to be honest.

If you complain about stalling teams in HS - everyone that makes that argument ignores the obvious: there is nothing stopping the defense from challenging the ball. And if you understand the stall rule correctly, the defense has to be playing the ball for the refs to call it. I say this while also conceding refs are often way too slow to put it on. When there is an obvious change in the tempo of the Offense, it should be on within 30second to a minute at most. I felt the late game stall on Scarsdale took way too long to put on.

Fun fact on multiple man downs like at the end. The most you can do down is 3 and only three can be serving a penalty at one time so if there are more penalities than that, the 4th guy can't start serving his penalty until one of the first three are released. Also: if you get 5:00 of personal fouls in a game, you have to sit the rest of the game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good list of Section 1 AA's. Congratulations to those players. Some very good players get let off the list but no way around that. As always, teams that go the furthest get the most nominations. Makes sense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does one really need to point out the obvious that your last sentence is no better than the behavior you came on here to complain about? It's always someone else, never you guys.

Yes Scarsdale fans can be awful at times and the behavior at the finals was unacceptable. I can say with some significant knowledge knowing that coaching staff, they would not stand for that, but their reach and authority goes so far.

Boorish behavior is not only in one school or a handful. Take a random sampling on a local live game and you will hear it everywhere. so many referees in the stands, it's a wonder there is such a shortage of them on the field.

Im not complaining and Im not from either town but I have no issue with my statement. Look at the posts and behavior of Scarsdale coaches and fans. Very happy they come back to earth with the loss of their fogo. Show no class, receive no class. Had you been humble no comments will be made.

I mean, you all needed police officers to intervene due your behavior and then come on here and call out Mamaroneck for losing and handling it well? Glass houses, mirrors, etc.

As an aside, I am happy to see someone in Scarsdale acknowledging that the behavior was unacceptable but to say the coaches wont stand for it? Cmon now. It starts with them and the classless entitled parents. The kids are just following what they see and learn every day.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A few things:

So much to break down on this....

You can't bull dodge anymore. They've effectively ruled that out of the game. I detest it, but that's probably what was called (I'm guessing because I am not sure the specific play you mean let me know when it was in the game and ill see what the play looked like)

I like a good hitting game too but the rules in HS are different than NCAA. I agree with you that it was too softly called.

Shot clock.. NO WAY. You want to ruin HS lacrosse, put a shot clock in and it will turn into 1 of 2 things: Give the ball to the fastest guy and take 100 shots a game hoping to land 20. or teams take it to the corner, kill 60 seconds of clock and then 1-2 pass or force a dodge to a -mediocre - shot. clock is great for PLL, I don't really like it in college to be honest.

If you complain about stalling teams in HS - everyone that makes that argument ignores the obvious: there is nothing stopping the defense from challenging the ball. And if you understand the stall rule correctly, the defense has to be playing the ball for the refs to call it. I say this while also conceding refs are often way too slow to put it on. When there is an obvious change in the tempo of the Offense, it should be on within 30second to a minute at most. I felt the late game stall on Scarsdale took way too long to put on.

Fun fact on multiple man downs like at the end. The most you can do down is 3 and only three can be serving a penalty at one time so if there are more penalities than that, the 4th guy can't start serving his penalty until one of the first three are released. Also: if you get 5:00 of personal fouls in a game, you have to sit the rest of the game.
4:28 of the second quarter.
Totally disagree on the shotclock. It has been terrific for college and prep school. Do you think it will ruin HS because in Section 1 there isnt the depth of quality players? Too many variables in the stall rule. A clock is clean and clear.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Westchester Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John Jay junior varsity and varsity have great coaching staff and the teams are solid. However, the John Jay Youth Lacrosse program is a joke and robs the kids of the sport. Zero practice, zero oversight, zero care for the middle school boys. Can't wait til the school changes things and goes to modified like all other schools in the district. Our middle school looks like a bunch of kindergartners against others when there's competition.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Westchester Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
John Jay junior varsity and varsity have great coaching staff and the teams are solid. However, the John Jay Youth Lacrosse program is a joke and robs the kids of the sport. Zero practice, zero oversight, zero care for the middle school boys. Can't wait til the school changes things and goes to modified like all other schools in the district. Our middle school looks like a bunch of kindergartners against others when there's competition.
Have you tried speaking with the people that run JJYL or even the HS coaching staff. I know they are really involved at the youth level. That might affect change better then coming on a forum and anonymously bashing they program.

Im not saying you're wrong, but there is more effective ways to make change happen than this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some section final observations

A - Scarsdale gets it done for the 3 peat. Everyone can say the fogo won them the game and he played a huge part. Their offense has to score goals though and they got it done. It will be interesting to see how they do next year without him. Not the greatest lacrosse in this one. Mamaroneck will be good next year I would think they are the favorite going into next year.

B - Yorktown finally gets one for the first time in what feels like an eternity for them. People counted out Ytown this year and I can’t figure out why. Their whole defense is going D1. Their goalie is amazing and they have some good talent on offense. They played a bunch of good teams out of conference and it prepared them for the moment. Great season for Mahopac they had some great wins I have to tip my cap.

C - Rye did it without their star player. Their role players were good all year and got the job done. This was the only game I predicted wrong I thought Jay had the edge going in. Rye has very good poles and their goalie play has been good all year. This is unfortunate for Jay because this may have been their best chance to get a title. Next year is do or die because they will fall off a cliff once their 2024’s graduate.

D - Pleasantville wins its first title since their 4 peat (2015-2018). They dominated early. It was interesting that Briarcliff played man to man against them. They are known for their zone but went away from it. The game got chippy in the end and two bcliff players got ejected. It fueled the fire for them and they made a mini run at the end to make it an interesting game. Both teams clearly do not like each other. If the classes remain the same I would say that Haldane will be the second best team in D behind Pville going into next year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Using KD jr's blog for data, in sect 1, there are 50 HS Boys teams, 11 leagues (A -K), the end of the regular season results are:

20 teams are above .500
4 teams at .500
26 teams below .500

P'ville with a 19-1 record, only loss to Pelham (in a 8-7 game; it appears to be a trap game too).

Teams with losing records that I'm surprised about is : Brnxv (8-11), Brclf (9-11), Suffern (8-9), Somers (8-9) and L/P (8-10).
I'm sure all of these teams played non-regional games, which contributed to the record (good for them too).

It will be interesting to start comparing Sect 1 results on a season to season basis going forward (with the help of KD's blog too).

I predict the following schools to be on the upward trajectory:

Arlington (6-10), Carmel (9-9), Greeley and Somers (8-9).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone with experience with the HV Excelsior team?

The cost is $499 for a 2 day (5 game) tournament, which is inexpensive.

Just wondering if the teams are bloated with unnecessary players that dilute playing time?

Sec 1 coaches involved seem legit (Kuczma, Lindsay, Mamo HC, & Pville).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Using KD jr's blog for data, in sect 1, there are 50 HS Boys teams, 11 leagues (A -K), the end of the regular season results are:

20 teams are above .500
4 teams at .500
26 teams below .500

P'ville with a 19-1 record, only loss to Pelham (in a 8-7 game; it appears to be a trap game too).

Teams with losing records that I'm surprised about is : Brnxv (8-11), Brclf (9-11), Suffern (8-9), Somers (8-9) and L/P (8-10).
I'm sure all of these teams played non-regional games, which contributed to the record (good for them too).

It will be interesting to start comparing Sect 1 results on a season to season basis going forward (with the help of KD's blog too).

I predict the following schools to be on the upward trajectory:

Arlington (6-10), Carmel (9-9), Greeley and Somers (8-9).

Arlington had a fantastic year in 2022, so this is a down year on paper, but they are always competitive. In 23, they beat the teams they should have and they lost to the better teams. They had a tough league schedule with Mahopac and Yorktown and their non-league was good for them. I think they improve for 2024

Carmel is vertically on the rise. They get better every year and are still young. They were in the same league with Arlington and had a bit more competitive schedule. Expect them to turn some heads in 24

Somers was down for what I think expectations were for this year. They don't lose a lot i believe, but they should me much better in 24. I think it was an on-paper disappointment this season.

Greeley needs to step their scheduling up. They say they are going to, but based on this year, it doesn't seem like they will be able to hang with tougher opponents unless they improve the D and find ways to score against better teams. Once they played even a decent team this year (Carmel, Somers, JJCR...) the scoring dropped by half. They aren't going to be able to put up big numbers against better teams. And are the 'fans' patient enough to endure a 6-8 win season against better teams?

Other interesting ones for 24 will be Mamaroneck now that they don't have Baldwin and Lehrman to face. JJCR is probably in it's last year of talent before a rebuild is coming. Yorktown who a lot of people wrote off as too young proved otherwise. Bronxville with now a full season under the new staff will have a lot to build on. And who can forget Pleasentville? I look forward to it already.

Shh.... there are some solid Rockland teams too....

Like Reply Quote
Page 88 of 97 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 96 97
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard