BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legacy Lacrosse and Riptide Lacrosse Merge into One Organization
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Will there still be only one team per age group?

I spoke to someone who is involved with the guys behind Legacy/Riptide. The goal of putting these teams together was to make a true A team to compete with the big guys and to have an A-, B+, B team whatever that second group of kids are. I think its fair to say that there is plenty of room for kids to make this organization.

Not really. With the combination of the two teams the number of openings on the A team just shrunk, loyalty to past players which is almost always present will fill the majority of the B team and then have a few openings left. There may be a third team but the top two teams will suck up the players who could help carry it. Not saying Legacy did ANYTHING wrong but it is what it is. The merging of these two teams diminishes the chances for outside players. the people I know who had been very interested in this club are now scrambling and trying to firm up back up plans

Just an FYI…I think Legacy had ONE team last year (might be 2019, not sure). So this isn’t a “merger” that will effect that many players.
It’s going to be mainly old Riptide players with a new uniform….

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I spoke to someone who is involved with the guys behind Legacy/Riptide. The goal of putting these teams together was to make a true A team to compete with the big guys and to have an A-, B+, B team whatever that second group of kids are. I think its fair to say that there is plenty of room for kids to make this organization.

Not really. With the combination of the two teams the number of openings on the A team just shrunk, loyalty to past players which is almost always present will fill the majority of the B team and then have a few openings left. There may be a third team but the top two teams will suck up the players who could help carry it. Not saying Legacy did ANYTHING wrong but it is what it is. The merging of these two teams diminishes the chances for outside players. the people I know who had been very interested in this club are now scrambling and trying to firm up back up plans

Just an FYI…I think Legacy had ONE team last year (might be 2019, not sure). So this isn’t a “merger” that will effect that many players.

2021 was the team and they were pretty good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I happened to have liked those orange and green uniforms!!!!!@

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If they did what 91 did with Stampede I would say yes. But my understanding is that the Riptide team will have its better players go to Legacy A team and its weaker to Legacy B. Fielding a third team will be difficult.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legacy only had a 2021 team. Riptide had a 2021 and up.

So your right not sure about the term merger, but is still a good thing for the sport, players and families.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So your right not sure about the term merger, but is still a good thing for the sport, players and families.

Don't think it's good for outside players, who were thinking about Legacy

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't think it's good for outside players, who were thinking about Legacy

Disagree. They can improve every team. If you think this is a jersey switch for Riptide players - I think you are wrong. Riptide was competitive and now the teams get an infusion of the Legacy tryout pool. I wonder what the numbers will look like. I can tell you if you start seeing 60-100 at various ages it will be wide open - regardless of where you played last year. Not to mention a lot of invites from other clubs will go out in between these dates. So those fighting for those A teams and miss will be here will be here. This is solely my opinion - but I wasn't bringing my son down - now I am. Why? That 2018 Riptide team is a notch below the elites and if they can add to the base and fold in Legacy coaching (they already posted the 2018 coach is a Legacy guy) they could compete on the highest level.

Again - my opinion - but that's the way I am looking at this. If I am wrong my son got a 2 hour lax clinic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Other then 2021 all other years are fine. I don't believe its a good thing for 2021 outsiders. Regardless of the corporate responses they have 2 teams at this age set between them. Unless your kid is a real superstar... Save your money. Hope Im wrong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I disagree that Riptide was competitive. They played in b pools and barley made the playoffs and some tournaments they didn't make the playoffs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I disagree that Riptide was competitive. They played in b pools and barley made the playoffs and some tournaments they didn't make the playoffs.

they had an A and B at 2018. And that A team was competitive - at least when we played them.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Other then 2021 all other years are fine. I don't believe its a good thing for 2021 outsiders. Regardless of the corporate responses they have 2 teams at this age set between them. Unless your kid is a real superstar... Save your money. Hope Im wrong.

I guess with merging clubs - one year of overlap isn't bad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree !!! Now, what do you do if you were trying out for Legacy but not Riptide ? It's really a Riptide tryout with a new name and look and will be Riptide players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It did not say Legacy took over Riptide, it said they " merged" Are you telling me Riptide cast its players to the wind with no more then a "good luck". WOuld you ever do that if you had players under you ? " Hey Riptide parents, great news, we are all know part of legacy and half your kids wont have a place to play lacrosse next year "

[/quote]

Don't think it's good for outside players, who were thinking about Legacy [/quote]

Disagree. They can improve every team. If you think this is a jersey switch for Riptide players - I think you are wrong. Riptide was competitive and now the teams get an infusion of the Legacy tryout pool. I wonder what the numbers will look like. I can tell you if you start seeing 60-100 at various ages it will be wide open - regardless of where you played last year. Not to mention a lot of invites from other clubs will go out in between these dates. So those fighting for those A teams and miss will be here will be here. This is solely my opinion - but I wasn't bringing my son down - now I am. Why? That 2018 Riptide team is a notch below the elites and if they can add to the base and fold in Legacy coaching (they already posted the 2018 coach is a Legacy guy) they could compete on the highest level.

Again - my opinion - but that's the way I am looking at this. If I am wrong my son got a 2 hour lax clinic. [/quote]

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get a life all of you! Do any of you know why the riptide decided to give up an organization they had to join with Zummo's legacy group? My guess to make all of you upset and wine about it. Honestly get a life and tell your son to go out there and pony up. Or is it because your kiss [lacrosse] demeanor won't secure your sons spot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couldn't have said it better myself. You all know who you are. Pony up!!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Get a life all of you! Do any of you know why the riptide decided to give up an organization they had to join with Zummo's legacy group? My guess to make all of you upset and wine about it. Honestly get a life and tell your son to go out there and pony up. Or is it because your kiss [lacrosse] demeanor won't secure your sons spot.

They both looked at their organizations teams and found very little overlap. My guess is the 2018 & 2019 numbers prior to the merger were light. Now you get a bunch of Riptide players at that level - and peaked interest from players that wouldn't have shown up - and presto - you get a competitive team out of the gate. None of this haphazard, it is a calculated well thought out business plan. Business, let me say it again Business. They will go from one team - to fielding multiple teams 2023-2018 in a year. be interested to hear everyone's perspective tomorrow after tryouts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true ? I heard Legacy just bought out Apple, IBM, and Microsoft.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that riptide was a good local based club, with the addition of Tom Zummo and the other A list coaching staff, a lot of interest will be coming from stronger players throughout suffolk county.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They both looked at their organizations teams and found very little overlap. My guess is the 2018 & 2019 numbers prior to the merger were light. Now you get a bunch of Riptide players at that level - and peaked interest from players that wouldn't have shown up - and presto - you get a competitive team out of the gate. None of this haphazard, it is a calculated well thought out business plan. Business, let me say it again Business. They will go from one team - to fielding multiple teams 2023-2018 in a year. be interested to hear everyone's perspective tomorrow after tryouts.
I'll bring my son down to check it out but what initially made this program appealing - one team per age group, paid coaches(no parents),and commitment to building an "elite" team is watered down by the Riptide merger. Starting to smell like a money grab. Why did try out fee just jump from $50 to $75?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'll bring my son down to check it out but what initially made this program appealing - one team per age group, paid coaches(no parents),and commitment to building an "elite" team is watered down by the Riptide merger. Starting to smell like a money grab. Why did try out fee just jump from $50 to $75?

I think everything is still the same. However, I don't think the money grab is right. They are evenly priced. They deserve the benefit of the doubt since they appear to be doing everything right. And if they don't deliver they won't get the same attention next year. And you got 3 hours of a Zummo clinic on the cheap. So glad these tryouts are tomorrow. I wish teams would post how many kids are coming. I see some negative and positive in doing that, but what's difference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think everything is still the same. However, I don't think the money grab is right. They are evenly priced. They deserve the benefit of the doubt since they appear to be doing everything right. And if they don't deliver they won't get the same attention next year. And you got 3 hours of a Zummo clinic on the cheap. So glad these tryouts are tomorrow. I wish teams would post how many kids are coming. I see some negative and positive in doing that, but what's difference.

Good luck to everyone at tryouts tomorrow!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

they had an A and B at 2018. And that A team was competitive - at least when we played them.

their A team was competative against B teams no t so against other A teams

Like Reply Quote
L
LEGACY
Unregistered
LEGACY
Unregistered
L
Registration online is closed, walk up registration is still open. Please if you have any questions please email mbrennan@legacylacrosseli.com

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LEGACY
Registration online is closed, walk up registration is still open. Please if you have any questions please email mbrennan@legacylacrosseli.com

Good luck today! A new dawn for your organization. We are busy today, but we will see you next week.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by LEGACY

Good luck today! A new dawn for your organization. We are busy today, but we will see you next week.

Fast easy!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So 70+ at 2021 tryout -few line drills that know paid attention, 1x1 ground balls when each maybe got 3 chances, then 1x1 at top of box (maybe 3 touches again), the fart breaks with little rotation - 2 touches, then a scrimmage for about 7-8 mins - two team sharing one field. Then Zummo speech about coming back next week to get a fair look.

Seems like good staff and ideology but not a tryout I can say really gave any one kid a good evaluation. Most of the coaches where seem with teir backs to the field on a few occasions.

If they weren't focusing on allot of 91 helmets and a few others not sure how anyone had the chance to stand out

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legacy looks like it is for real. Very organized. 60 or 70 kids trying out per age group. I think they had the entire stony brook university lacrosse team running drills. Zummo seems to be a first class guy. I think Long Island has another top notch program. A lot of talent today!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its easy to tell the standouts , and they did. Where it gets tough is if your kid is a solid A- B Plus player. They will take the best kids of Legacy and Riptide and sprinkle in 4 or 5 standouts. If you are looking to make the second team it will be hard. A lot of kids with the same talent level but lets face it, tie goes to the runner , in this case Legacy and Riptide kids will get those spots unless other kids blow then away.
So 70+ at 2021 tryout -few line drills that know paid attention, 1x1 ground balls when each maybe got 3 chances, then 1x1 at top of box (maybe 3 touches again), the fart breaks with little rotation - 2 touches, then a scrimmage for about 7-8 mins - two team sharing one field. Then Zummo speech about coming back next week to get a fair look.

Seems like good staff and ideology but not a tryout I can say really gave any one kid a good evaluation. Most of the coaches where seem with teir backs to the field on a few occasions.

If they weren't focusing on allot of 91 helmets and a few others not sure how anyone had the chance to stand out

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legacy looks like it is for real. Very organized. 60 or 70 kids trying out per age group. I think they had the entire stony brook university lacrosse team running drills. Zummo seems to be a first class guy. I think Long Island has another top notch program. A lot of talent today!

this sounds like an ad from one of the directors. opposite of post above it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Impressive stuff at the Legacy tryout today for sure. Well run and some good talent at the young ages. If you say anything other than that you are just being a hater and there is no need. We'll all see what they look like in a few months. We're talking about kids that are 10 years of age & under. Lighten up people.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really, I thought it was one of the best tryouts I have been to. Kids Got a lot of touches. Parents I was sitting next to seemed thrilled.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sound like your kid is getting cut!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or maybe, just maybe I am a parent looking for a quality club for my kid and was impressed today. It was nice to have someone actually explain the goals of the program and seem genuinely interested in helping kids get better and providing something of value. Far cry from some other clubs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really, I thought it was one of the best tryouts I have been to. Kids Got a lot of touches. Parents I was sitting next to seemed thrilled.

They got a lot of touches during the drills, the scrimmage seemed pressed for time . They had 4 teams worth of kids and little time. 91 had two fields going at once and the kids got a lot of scrimmage time. I thought they might go over by 15 or 20 minutes but they didnt. From what I saw it appeared that the first scrimmage group was made up of Legacy/riptide kids and the kids that really popped out in drills but I wasnt counting helmets decals do I could be off. They could easily produce a legit A and two B teams but I dont know if they will endeavor to do that. I am guessing two teams . They should eliminate the kids they already know will be A next try out and let the others battle it out

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Based on the quality I saw today legacy will be a top 3 or 4 program on long island.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I thought all the numbers at every age were strong - with the exception of 2018. 2019 - 2022 should all field solid A teams (notably the 2020 age group). Elite level - not yet, but they'll be a winning team. 2018 was just okay - if they take the best kids they'll at best be a solid B level team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree, 2019, 2020, and 2021 will all be very competitive teams. Did not see it myself, but one of the coaches was raving about the 2nd grade team. I know that's crazy discussing a 2 nd grade team. Just reporting what I was told. A lot more kids then I thought would be at tryouts. Good overall experience hoping my son makes the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Overheard a few folks who said they were going straight to 91 from Legacy tryouts. Can you give an overall comparison to the two tryouts. Players talent and the format.

Agree, 2019, 2020, and 2021 will all be very competitive teams. Did not see it myself, but one of the coaches was raving about the 2nd grade team. I know that's crazy discussing a 2 nd grade team. Just reporting what I was told. A lot more kids then I thought would be at tryouts. Good overall experience hoping my son makes the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Overheard a few folks who said they were going straight to 91 from Legacy tryouts. Can you give an overall comparison to the two tryouts. Players talent and the format.

hard comparison because there is already a core talent pool at 91.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Based on the quality I saw today legacy will be a top 3 or 4 program on long island.

Please don't get crazy, You have no idea what other teams are doing and who will take a spot on legacy.

Like Reply Quote
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard