BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Girls 2025-10th Grade Fall 2022/Summer 2023
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
No college is reaching out to a HS coach unless that HS coach is also a well known club coach. Daughter’s coach is terrible and useless. I don’t even have a lot of faith in thr club coaches. You need to do the work and be persistent. Don’t rely on anyone to get this done for you.

I can name many times where a college coach would reach out to a high school coach before an offer was extended. Usually a 3 minute call to ask about work ethic, personal traits, etc.

This isn’t the early 2000s anymore.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parent from a 24 here. JO event was very good competition. There were very few college coaches there; but, they had very good film and college coaches watched the games after the event on a regular basis right through recruiting time in September-December. (I know they watched because of sports recruits.) We would get a notice from a college that they watched a game then we'd see a girl commit from one of the teams to that school. Also I believe the new dates will allow for more coaches to be there this summer. Last summer I think it was a black out period the first day? It is expensive but imo was worth it for both the film and the level of play. I'm not sure if my daughter's offers came from this event but it definitely did not hurt her.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Parent from a 24 here. JO event was very good competition. There were very few college coaches there; but, they had very good film and college coaches watched the games after the event on a regular basis right through recruiting time in September-December. (I know they watched because of sports recruits.) We would get a notice from a college that they watched a game then we'd see a girl commit from one of the teams to that school. Also I believe the new dates will allow for more coaches to be there this summer. Last summer I think it was a black out period the first day? It is expensive but imo was worth it for both the film and the level of play. I'm not sure if my daughter's offers came from this event but it https://www.hgtv.com/sweepstakes/hgtv-dream-home/sweepstakes/thanksdefinitely did not hurt her.

Juniors will get more colleges watching this time. Not sure why they put it up against UA150 though but there certainly will be more this year than last year when it was right around July 4th weekend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No college is reaching out to a HS coach unless that HS coach is also a well known club coach. Daughter’s coach is terrible and useless. I don’t even have a lot of faith in thr club coaches. You need to do the work and be persistent. Don’t rely on anyone to get this done for you.

I can name many times where a college coach would reach out to a high school coach before an offer was extended. Usually a 3 minute call to ask about work ethic, personal traits, etc.

This was the experience with my 2023 daughter. Coaches made a quick call to our hs coach just to make sure there weren’t any red flags with the family or how she is as a teammate. These were coaches about to offer who were serious. Our club director handled recruiting conversations for the most part before 9/1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was unfortunate, but I believe Juniors was held at a closed period when coaches couldn’t attend? I think bad timing and planning by tournament directors.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
+1 Our DD (Maryland private) HS coach gets a lot more attention from college, by that I mean a few more phone calls and longer conversations, than some of the HS coaches from her teammates because he is connected to the club scene and even coached a few current college assistants. But other HS coaches get calls still. Grades, work ethic, how they are as a teammate - especially when it's a big fish in a small pond for some of them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Key here is your private MD HS coach affiliated with clubs. I get that. For a typical public school with a handful of lax players, who have coaches that literally have no reason being a coach other than they played on a d3 team 40 years ago….no college coach wasting their time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Key here is your private MD HS coach affiliated with clubs. I get that. For a typical public school with a handful of lax players, who have coaches that literally have no reason being a coach other than they played on a d3 team 40 years ago….no college coach wasting their time.

Yep. If your kids coach played college your lucky.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

According to the Athletic Director "she has extensive playing experience in New York, and coached at a high level for several years"

She doesn't own a whistle, doesn't touch a crosse at practice, can't catch/throw and doesn't know basic lacrosse rules or terminology(they don't "mark up" they "locate"). When my daughter suggested the team split an hour before practice... half playing wall ball-half running scoop/cradling drills in 30 minute shifts.... the response was "We don't have time to play around bouncing a ball on the wall, we are learning how to play lacrosse." They have four girls who can catch and throw on the field.

Yep, any coach contacting her will see that she has no clue within the first 10 seconds.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard Juniors Open is not holding an event for 2025 girls. Only 2024 girls. Is this true?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe they are having the 2025 class. Know many girls who signed up and paid for the event

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UA150 notifications out. Surprised that Juniors Open moved to a date that directly competes with another event. Anyway, my daughter got the notification but we already committed to Juniors. Figuring ny/nj will heavily represent juniors and md will represent ua150.

What do you think will be better?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We did them both last year. Seemed like a bit more talent at the Jr. Open but not as many coaches. Could be better this year. I am thinking you are right as far as MD girls will do the 150.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So ridiculous. Both are pay to play money grabs. The only reason it is being talked about is directors plugging their events as anonymous posters.

I heard Junior was awesome ... right. And you're asking for a friend.

P.S. i didn't take the bait last year, but those that did, regretted it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So ridiculous. Both are pay to play money grabs. The only reason it is being talked about is directors plugging their events as anonymous posters.

I heard Junior was awesome ... right. And you're asking for a friend.

P.S. i didn't take the bait last year, but those that did, regretted it.

I don’t think directors need to come on her and post to get kids to go. Parents will do that regardless. Only a handful of insane people like you and me go one lax forums.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We did them both last year. Seemed like a bit more talent at the Jr. Open but not as many coaches. Could be better this year. I am thinking you are right as far as MD girls will do the 150.

From an exposure perspective UA150 is definitely the strong event, though there are usually a bunch of girls there who don't belong.

One thing to consider -- UA150 has a combine. So if your daughter has great measurables, you probably want to do UA150 just for the combine for this reason alone. And before you ask, yes -- coaches really do look at combine results

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

From an exposure perspective UA150 is definitely the strong event, though there are usually a bunch of girls there who don't belong.

One thing to consider -- UA150 has a combine. So if your daughter has great measurables, you probably want to do UA150 just for the combine for this reason alone. And before you ask, yes -- coaches really do look at combine results

Love the last sentence because that was what I was going to ask. I also say there are people that are going to Juniors that don’t belong as well. All of these events either applications or try outs are heavily influenced by club directors and relationships.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Love the last sentence because that was what I was going to ask. I also say there are people that are going to Juniors that don’t belong as well. All of these events either applications or try outs are heavily influenced by club directors and relationships.

There is definite influence of club directors. UA150 usually has over 30 M&D girls and 20 Skywalkers girls. Similar states for YJ at Junior Open.

From what I've seen, it looks like UA150 also has some positional quotas as well. Saw some defenders from B teams who made it and some starting middies on top 20 teams who didn't.

There will be politics in any lax event, but based on past year's I'd say Best in Class is probably the "fairest" selection. Watching last year I could maybe name two girls who truly didn't belong. (and both were on top 5 clubs).

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What we have been doing, and where we've spent our money, is going to college camps. Camps for schools our daughter is interested in attending. This has been working out very well. We know which of her top schools are interested in her and, which schools she is no longer interested in because of either coaching, players or both. The camps that have the players present are the best. My daughter has become very good at questioning the players that are already at the school. This is very useful in narrowing down her list.

In short, we've been skipping the UA150/JO type events and going to college camps. We're very happy how it is working out. Hope that helps.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What we have been doing, and where we've spent our money, is going to college camps. Camps for schools our daughter is interested in attending. This has been working out very well. We know which of her top schools are interested in her and, which schools she is no longer interested in because of either coaching, players or both. The camps that have the players present are the best. My daughter has become very good at questioning the players that are already at the school. This is very useful in narrowing down her list.

In short, we've been skipping the UA150/JO type events and going to college camps. We're very happy how it is working out. Hope that helps.

Smart move, that's what we are going to do also. You pay $600 just to play in one event in front of coaches who are being paid to be there. Add travel etc. and you can attend three to four prospect days for the same amount.

What's even worse is that we all should have learned that there are only two types of these events.... (1) everyone is invited, which waters down the talent (2) players are selected, which means club coach involvement. If like to see one event, just one, where the players were randomly selected based on play... no background resume, no club coach interference, no location info... just random play. We'd truly see the best kids on the field.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is definite influence of club directors. UA150 usually has over 30 M&D girls and 20 Skywalkers girls. Similar states for YJ at Junior Open.

From what I've seen, it looks like UA150 also has some positional quotas as well. Saw some defenders from B teams who made it and some starting middies on top 20 teams who didn't.

There will be politics in any lax event, but based on past year's I'd say Best in Class is probably the "fairest" selection. Watching last year I could maybe name two girls who truly didn't belong. (and both were on top 5 clubs).

Definitely more than 2. One of the BIC girls is going D3 and she’s not a top club or top d3 player.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Definitely more than 2. One of the BIC girls is going D3 and she’s not a top club or top d3 player.

These events are challenging to get players into and/or choose them. Sometimes, personal bias shines through with coaches either pulling solely for their team to boost enrollment in their programs, or just bad insights into player positions. I see this a lot with the choice of goalies for events, as coaches don't always get it right.

I do like having a combine at UA150, as it does highlight some level of athleticism, which coaches do want to see.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
question from a 2025 parent here - my daughter tore her ACl this past fall and did not get to attend any of the fall tournaments. She will be able to play during summer, but will not be at her best since it will be less than ten months post surgery for her. I would say that my daughter is an above average player, she was at UA150 and the USA U16 combine last summer. We think that there might be some schools interested, but it is hard to tell since she is not from a lacrosse hotbed and coaches have not reached out to her club coach. Does this mean she has no interest? Or what should she be doing to increase her chances of getting recruited?

She is aiming for high academic schools, but we have not been seeing to much interest on our end due to her injury.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
question from a 2025 parent here - my daughter tore her ACl this past fall and did not get to attend any of the fall tournaments. She will be able to play during summer, but will not be at her best since it will be less than ten months post surgery for her. I would say that my daughter is an above average player, she was at UA150 and the USA U16 combine last summer. We think that there might be some schools interested, but it is hard to tell since she is not from a lacrosse hotbed and coaches have not reached out to her club coach. Does this mean she has no interest? Or what should she be doing to increase her chances of getting recruited?

She is aiming for high academic schools, but we have not been seeing to much interest on our end due to her injury.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I think it's every parent's fear, of injury during their recruiting year. My heart goes out to her.

My advice is to check out Lacrosse Masters.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

Last edited by Team BOTC; . Reason: Contact us for advertising
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m sorry to hear this, I can imagine this is very stressful for you both. I would keep doing what you are doing. Keep updating those coaches on her progress and include training/PT workouts video, as well as any video you have from games. She will find a great school.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I’m sorry to hear this, I can imagine this is very stressful for you both. I would keep doing what you are doing. Keep updating those coaches on her progress and include training/PT workouts video, as well as any video you have from games. She will find a great school.

From our experience (older daughter who’s committed now), most of the sports recruit activity at that age was Spring and Summer of Sophomore year and not much Fall activity. My daughter did a lot of emailing and updating in the Spring, right before her summer tournaments! Good luck to your daughter! Summer will be the most important tournaments for coaches to see her.

If she’s able and healthy enough, get her to the schools camps. You may also want to check out Lacrosse Masters camps to gain exposure to high academic schools! Best of Luck!

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Figured this board would be a little more active this being the 2025s most important year. Can’t believe there hasn’t been a hey what’s better post AS or All American post yet.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Not_Belles_Mommy
Figured this board would be a little more active this being the 2025s most important year. Can’t believe there hasn’t been a hey what’s better post AS or All American post yet.

Whichever your DD makes is better obviously :P

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Making All Americans or top team at American Select is a great achievement. Ultimately, what is better will be the team where your daughter knows the coaching staff and will have a better chance of getting playing time.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Haha. This statement is so true.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It really is. Listening to the moms and dads [Censored] talk UA tryouts 2 years ago when their Ds didn't make the callback game was classic lax parenting. No princess, they didn't realize how awesome you are but mommy and daddy do.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It really is. Listening to the moms and dads [Censored] talk UA tryouts 2 years ago when their Ds didn't make the callback game was classic lax parenting. No princess, they didn't realize how awesome you are but mommy and daddy do.

UA, which is now NB, is extremely political. The club coaches pick the team, favor their own players and play their own players over better girls. Happens every year. I am not disgruntled. My daughter made the team every year. And every year the same nonsense goes on and the team looses due to selfishness. I think AS is a better run event and a true showcase.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UA, which is now NB, is extremely political. The club coaches pick the team, favor their own players and play their own players over better girls. Happens every year. I am not disgruntled. My daughter made the team every year. And every year the same nonsense goes on and the team looses due to selfishness. I think AS is a better run event and a true showcase.

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more and the numbers also disagree. The majority of AS, and I mean the majority, come from the club where the coach comes from. UA has a wide range of club teams represented. Of course there will be some political decisions but from my older girls, who between them have played on both, it seems that UA is better run, better value, and better coached event. It also leads to the UA senior game which it seems is extremely important to the girls

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, I couldn’t disagree more and the numbers also disagree. The majority of AS, and I mean the majority, come from the club where the coach comes from. UA has a wide range of club teams represented. Of course there will be some political decisions but from my older girls, who between them have played on both, it seems that UA is better run, better value, and better coached event. It also leads to the UA senior game which it seems is extremely important to the girls

Senior game honorees are selected by IL, and have little to do with getting picked for regional AA teams. It’s the top ranked recruits that are chosen, many who never played UA. I agree that UA/AA is a better value, but in terms of recruiting exposure, it will be more even playing time and not as much play to win at AS. If your daughter is trying to get recruited, I think AS has been better in the past. This year AA is offering a new division, “burn” It will be interesting to see how that goes. AA coaches have spoiled the team with their bias most every year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

AS is just as political. Come on. My daughter made it last year and this year. Every roster is 75% of the coaches club roster. Now. Does that make sense. Maybe. Most of the clubs running it are top10 clubs so you would tuink the majority of players would make it from their home club. But it’s still political.
The All American is hilarious. They already posted their players to watch without even having one tryout. 😁
They’re all the same.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone who thinks any of these are not influenced by their club teams are insane. Whether it’s AS, Best in Class, AA, UA150, Juniors etc. They are all politically influenced from clubs. Every single event my daughter has done came with a recommendation from her Top 5 club coach.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is funny. Please do AS. Heads up. They “loose” well before the championship game. But hey, maybe your kid will save the day there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is funny. Please do AS. Heads up. They “loose” well before the championship game. But hey, maybe your kid will save the day there.

Of the 26 kids on a Long Island AS roster, no more than 15 or 16 will play more than 5 minutes per game. Good exposure if you play for YJ since you will likely get PT. Bad news if you don't play or YJ or aren't a top 20 player nationally. You just paid $600 for some shorts and t-shirts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of the 26 kids on a Long Island AS roster, no more than 15 or 16 will play more than 5 minutes per game. Good exposure if you play for YJ since you will likely get PT. Bad news if you don't play or YJ or aren't a top 20 player nationally. You just paid $600 for some shorts and t-shirts.

Think the bigger problem is the three watered down Long Island teams and none of them JS’ kids

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are rumors that the Balto UA 25 coach is already reaching out to girls essentially offering them spots well before tryouts. Could just be rumors who knows. But UA is super political. And I’m not disgruntled- my daughter didn’t tryout last year and won’t be in town this year so I have no dog in this fight. But having witnessed this process for more than 6 years it’s ALWAYS politics. That’s not to say many girls who make it don’t deserve it - but there’s also ones who don’t. At least with Am Select club/HS ciaches can’t influence who is picked

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard