BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 91 of 117 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 116 117
Re: Girls High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
IAAM season begins in a month. Who ya got? SPSG threepeat? Or does GCS or MCD take the title?
Full schedules not up on IAAM yet. Calm down.
IAAM season begins in a month. Who ya got? SPSG threepeat? Or does GCS or MCD take the title?
relax SPSG mom, they haven't even started practicing yet. Go get you pickleball game in and relax.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You need something to talk about when you're throwing back HH Rosés at Valley Inn on Fridays!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You need something to talk about when you're throwing back HH Rosés at Valley Inn on Fridays!
Ok this is funny. Please continue throughout the season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok this is funny. Please continue throughout the season.
ah lax season is here and the Valley Inn is happy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi What does dodging high and shooting low exactly mean?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this a trick question?

Like Reply Quote
Liberty High School (Carroll County, MD)- Looking for Girls JV Lacrosse Coach
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Passing along info for anyone interested or may know someone interested. Per Facebook post from the Liberty Athletic Boosters:

Liberty High School (Sykesville, MD) is looking for a JV Girls Lacrosse Coach for the 2023 Spring Season. Contact Ed Devincent if interested or for more information. Email ERDEVIN@carrollk12.org.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Liberty High School (Carroll County, MD)- Looking for Girls JV Lacrosse Coach
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this a trick question?

Don't mean to be coy, but it wasn't a trick question.

Passing along what was explained to me, and maybe a benefit to others here:

1) Dodging from the top of the 8m and also able to perform from behind the cage (feed cutters).

or

2) Dodge from up top but with the head up to feed low attackers on the crease when the slide comes-- the triple threat.

Anyone else who can add, agree, or disagree-- I'm all ears! I'm here to learn.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Liberty High School (Carroll County, MD)- Looking for Girls JV Lacrosse Coach
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
not a trick question, but the I actually messed the question up. Was just corrected by my daughter that the coach at a clinic she attended said she needed attackers who can dodge high and feed low. Everyone seemed to nod their head, and but she didn't know what she meant by that. So I'm asking here.

Confused because it sounded like feeding the ball low, but makes more sense to feed low attackers when dodging up top. Can anyone help educate? Here to learn too. not just read gossip.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In a motion offense, the low attacker will roll high and receive the ball where they can dodge going downhill towards the goal to shoot or feed to either of their teammates who occupy that low attack position in the rotation. I think the coach's comments are meant to convey that you should be comfortable making an offensive play, be it dodge and shoot or feed, from any spot around the goal.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In more simpler terms it also means dodging with the ball high and feeding a low cutter. It's important to make sure there is still at least 1 player at X though for back up so there is often replacing done. Cutters can come from anywhere, not just up high. So you need to be able to feed from anywhere. The best feeders put a little fake and/or dodge before their feeds.

It is typically seen in the reverse, passing high from low, but does happen especially with better teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In a motion offense, the low attacker will roll high and receive the ball where they can dodge going downhill towards the goal to shoot or feed to either of their teammates who occupy that low attack position in the rotation. I think the coach's comments are meant to convey that you should be comfortable making an offensive play, be it dodge and shoot or feed, from any spot around the goal.

Echo this, in many basic motion offenses the low attacker ends up high at some point. Many low attackers can't play high and thus are limited in what offense can be run. If your coach is running a true 43 motion or even a triangle motion, then the low attackers need to be able to play high.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which public schools can compete or beat the better private schools?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not many public schools can compete with top tier private schools. Not that there is no talent in the public schools , there are quite a few talented players... they just can't recruit and do not have the depth that private schools have. Apples and oranges in my opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The top 1 or 2 teams in Carroll, AA, Howard, Baltimore, and Harford county can play a close game with most of the IAAM A . They all have talent and many have quality coaching. Where they lack is depth. One injury to a major player and they drop considerably. Private schools have always gotten a ton of talent from AA, Baltimore, and Howard. The last 3 or 4 years they have gotten a lot more talent from Carroll and Harford, so those teams are not quite as strong as in the past. After the top 8-12 public schools in the state there is a major drop off.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Echo this, in many basic motion offenses the low attacker ends up high at some point. Many low attackers can't play high and thus are limited in what offense can be run. If your coach is running a true 43 motion or even a triangle motion, then the low attackers need to be able to play high.
Guess it depends on how good your low attackers are. Good ones can play all attack positions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is GCS outlook for the next few years? I know they should be strong this year but are they graduating a lot of seniors and what does the underclassman classes look like?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is GCS outlook for the next few years? I know they should be strong this year but are they graduating a lot of seniors and what does the underclassman classes look like?

Doesn’t look good. Small varsity roster and no jv. Talented seniors leaving. Gonna be tough to fill those spots asking for 30k to lose lots. Them and Gerstell will be in B conference soon.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Doesn’t look good. Small varsity roster and no jv. Talented seniors leaving. Gonna be tough to fill those spots asking for 30k to lose lots. Them and Gerstell will be in B conference soon.

What does "30k to lose lots" mean? Also, is there relegation in the A conference? Looks like quite a few teams were not successful and still stayed in the A conference from last year to this year? Just trying to understand the landscape of IAAM and when/how these decisions are made.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sure hope tuition wasn’t paid for your education.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does "30k to lose lots" mean? Also, is there relegation in the A conference? Looks like quite a few teams were not successful and still stayed in the A conference from last year to this year? Just trying to understand the landscape of IAAM and when/how these decisions are made.
GCS and Gerstell can stay in the A division as long as they choose to. The league does not move teams into lower divisions

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking for some insight, my daughter is a 7th grader who starts on one of the better clubs in the area. She has expressed that she really wants to go private for high school to play lacrosse. Not sure if it's bc friends from her team will be going or already going to several different private schools or if it's a burning desire to play tougher competition
A few questions: 1.) Do MIAA coaches actually recruit? What grade do they start engaging players? Do you need to connect with coaches to let them know your daughter is interested in playing? Should we assume that a large percentage of everyone's rosters have been recruited to play there?
We are in the same situation. Some of the girls already attend the private middle schools...assume they would just transition to the high school. Not sure how they reach out to he public school girls.

Intended with all due respect......there are only a couple ways this happens in the 7th-8th grade years:
1) Your club coach has a real life relationship with a HS coach *AND* (key word) is willing to reach out to that coach during admissions
2) Your daughter attends a camp, mini-camp, "skills session" etc at the HS and gets noticed. Coaches will pull aside players and parents who are playing "lights out." The other 90% of capable players there? Not so much.
3) Your daughter has a relationship or plausible excuse, or insanely good timing, to get herself in front of that coach in a playing environment, aka taking shots on the field with the HS coaches' kids when the coach comes to pick up their kids.

For both boys and girls, the most important things IMHO are:
1) Put the educational fit, first. One day it will be their last day of lax. You don't know when it will be. 10th grade? 12th grade? Tomorrow due to injury?
2) Try to have a good and realistic understanding of your daughter's likelihood to make the roster at her preferred school. In the current senior class, what clubs do the girls play for? Does your daughter play on equivalent clubs? We have personally seen this with both our kids, as families with "the best kid in rec" or "the top recruit from Arkansas!" rolls in and assumes they are going to dominate the lax world in their new private school.
3) Money - assume you will get zero aid for lax. It won't be a difference maker, regardless.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

GCS and Gerstell can stay in the A division as long as they choose to. The league does not move teams into lower divisions

So teams/high schools decide what division they will be in? It looks like Mercy moved up(I realize they won the B conference)-did they decide this? Seems there are way too many in the A division in comparison-why would these schools continue to underperform and stay? Thanks for any insight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So teams/high schools decide what division they will be in? It looks like Mercy moved up(I realize they won the B conference)-did they decide this? Seems there are way too many in the A division in comparison-why would these schools continue to underperform and stay? Thanks for any insight.

And why not just combine B and C? Seems ridiculous to have a conference with 15 schools and then another 2 with only 6 and 7.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And why not just combine B and C? Seems ridiculous to have a conference with 15 schools and then another 2 with only 6 and 7.

I think the simple answer is admissions. Kids and parents want them playing in the top conference in the country, which is the IAAM A conference. I think any school that drops from A to B will immediately lose possible students.

I know when we looked at schools, outside the A IAAM was a non starter.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you’d be ok paying 20-30 thousand for a high school lax team that loses 90% of their games to say you were in the A conference ? Gerstell has no jv to help and playing lots of 9th and 10 th graders vs top level teams won’t help them improve the record parents want to see. GCS is getting a new coach. Very few recruits and graduating their top players. They have no jv either. Doesn’t sound like being in the A conference is bringing in lots of admission money. They need to move down a few for sure Divide division up fairly even and then they can talk about moving confernce champs up and bottom team down each year for competition. I know those bottom feeders like to play Mcdonogh and Spsg but those top schools get nothing from it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is pretty funny. It sounds like this coach is a lame duck who hasn't lifted a finger since the last coach was shown the door. Oh well that is on the administration. The school is rated high, great location and they are generous. They could maintain this level, but the commitment doesn't appear to be there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is pretty funny. It sounds like this coach is a lame duck who hasn't lifted a finger since the last coach was shown the door. Oh well that is on the administration. The school is rated high, great location and they are generous. They could maintain this level, but the commitment doesn't appear to be there.

I think the generosity stopped with the 23s. Maybe 24s. They have like 3 25s and 26s. The future looks bleak.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you’d be ok paying 20-30 thousand for a high school lax team that loses 90% of their games to say you were in the A conference ? Gerstell has no jv to help and playing lots of 9th and 10 th graders vs top level teams won’t help them improve the record parents want to see. GCS is getting a new coach. Very few recruits and graduating their top players. They have no jv either. Doesn’t sound like being in the A conference is bringing in lots of admission money. They need to move down a few for sure Divide division up fairly even and then they can talk about moving confernce champs up and bottom team down each year for competition. I know those bottom feeders like to play Mcdonogh and Spsg but those top schools get nothing from it.

You must be a McD or SPSG parent. Your post was logical until you called those teams “bottom feeders”. Like seriously. Is that necessary?? Some would say people pay $35k to play on SPSG cause they’re a too lax team but they’re a “bottom feeder” in terms of IAMM academic standards. It’s true but See how nasty that sounds

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You must be a McD or SPSG parent. Your post was logical until you called those teams “bottom feeders”. Like seriously. Is that necessary?? Some would say people pay $35k to play on SPSG cause they’re a too lax team but they’re a “bottom feeder” in terms of IAMM academic standards. It’s true but See how nasty that sounds

Sometimes I think parents forget that kids from all IAAM teams go D1 and at end of day, you can't make a living off of lacrosse unless you want to be a coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sometimes I think parents forget that kids from all IAAM teams go D1 and at end of day, you can't make a living off of lacrosse unless you want to be a coach.

Even some amazing players do not turn out to be good coaches. We have all witnessed that at one or two top Lax High Schools.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think the generosity stopped with the 23s. Maybe 24s. They have like 3 25s and 26s. The future looks bleak.

My understanding is the school stopped giving out the massive amounts of financial aid that many of the 22s and 23s had/have.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The environment is everything when it comes daily life at a private - lacrosse is a bonus. A lot of public schools have better acceptance rates at some colleges. Go to open houses and check it out, but should never be about lax only.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She has a new staff(who are doing their own recruiting) to take over once she retires at the end of this year from teaching and coaching for over 25 years at GCS. Hardly a lame duck letting someone else build the program they are taking over. But my guess is your only goal here in this forum is to 💩 on those beneath your eliteness. It screams SPSG dad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maryvale is the new GCS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wouldn't bet on BR staying past his daughter graduating.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
☝🏻

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
☝🏻

He was coaching before his daughter was in high school? Why would he be done once she graduates?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She has a new staff(who are doing their own recruiting) to take over once she retires at the end of this year from teaching and coaching for over 25 years at GCS. Hardly a lame duck letting someone else build the program they are taking over. But my guess is your only goal here in this forum is to 💩 on those beneath your eliteness. It screams SPSG dad.

She is still helping with recruiting but new coach in waiting (HoCo Director) is doing primary recruiting. New coach knows she has an uphill climb and needs school to get behind some financial aid to get players and rebuild. Will be interesting to see how it all all shakes out. But far from a dire situation - just not what it was 4-5 years ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
☝🏻

He was coaching before his daughter was in high school? Why would he be done once she graduates?

He and the assistant and powder kegs waiting to blow. The assistance was let go are numerous rules violations. I do not need to list the transgressions of the HC. I do not see this marriage lasting more than 3 years. Time will tell.

Like Reply Quote
Page 91 of 117 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 116 117
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard