BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,630
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 251 of 313 1 2 249 250 251 252 253 312 313
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not a Spalding parent, but looking forward to watching them. They are young and will get stronger with every game. It will be fun to watch. Build these kids up people instead of tearing them apart all the time. The negativity is exhausting.

I have more respect for a rebuild/reload via good recruiting classes over senior recruits and boarding transfers all day long.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is going on at Gilman with that teacher who was allegedly sexually abusing kids?

Haven’t heard anything like this since the stuff that happened at McDonogh, and, well, Gilman, a few years ago.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is going on at Gilman with that teacher who was allegedly sexually abusing kids?

Haven’t heard anything like this since the stuff that happened at McDonogh, and, well, Gilman, a few years ago.

What does this have to do with lacrosse?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few thoughts about Nike National (based on recent tryout experience).

- Registration fee is $250 with additional $370 if you make team.
- Is your son an existing Crab? If not, stop.
- Is your son physicaly bigger and taller than the majority of his graduation year peers? If not, stop.

The tournament is managed/owned by King Crab. The majority of the evaluators are affilated with Crabs. At the recent tryout the majority of the kids who were there were Crabs with a few random ones who heard about it through classmates or online advertisement. The possibility exists some may have been told by coaches to come out but I don't know of that for sure.

At the tryout they were told directly that the evaluators were looking at "biggest, strongest first". Do with that information as you choose but I would suggest saving money and use towards a college prospect camp.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
for all dads and moms that have recently been through their sons recruiting summer- can you please tell me which of these events / showcases are worth the money from a college perspective

JUNIORS OPEN
MAINSTAGE
NLF 120
BEST IN CLASS
ONE PERCENT
MAVERICK
NIKE NATIONAL
UNDERARMOUR

TY IN ADVANCE

Play on club that your son gets lots of playing time. If he is good enough the coaches will fine him. Playing certain events over others will not necessarily get you recruited.

I would tend to agree with the above statement but if your son can make Nike National or the Under Armour along with NHSLS with his HS team he will be in group shape in terms of coaches seeing your son play.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

- Is your son physicaly bigger and taller than the majority of his graduation year peers? If not, stop.

The tournament is managed/owned by King Crab. The majority of the evaluators are affilated with Crabs. At the recent tryout the majority of the kids who were there were Crabs with a few random ones who heard about it through classmates or online advertisement. The possibility exists some may have been told by coaches to come out but I don't know of that for sure.

At the tryout they were told directly that the evaluators were looking at "biggest, strongest first". Do with that information as you choose but I would suggest saving money and use towards a college prospect camp.

The Crab comment is true. The fact that you can "tryout" by sending a highlight film in rather than showing up to the 90 minute tryout tells you that the majority of the team is decided beforehand.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Based on the details of your comment I am assuming your son tried out for the team? If so and knowing all this why did he? Based on my understanding they had evaluators from Gilman, BL, Loyola and McD there along with King Crab. Also if you don’t know Prospect Camps are the biggest money grab going! If your son is not directly contacted by the HC that money you are handing over is headed to the pockets of the program. Buyer beware.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Honestly it was youthful optimism and naiveness on his part. A few of his friends were going and he wanted to. We tried to gently warn him that it might not go well given he wasn't a crab but unfortunately he just doesn't get the politics. Its refreshing but also sad.

You are correct that a Gilman coach was there but he coachs a crab team and BL is widely associated with crabs. I don't know much about the loyola/McD coaches present so can't speak to their club affailations.

In the end, we made the error of signing him up before I looked into it more fully. So just wanted to spare a future parent from making same mistake I did or at least give them more information to make the decision.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i appreciate the insight , everyone knows Politics rule , i asked the question and I appreciate the honesty - at the end of the day , the real questuion is how do you get a fair look if your not one of the favorite chosen kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i appreciate the insight , everyone knows Politics rule , i asked the question and I appreciate the honesty - at the end of the day , the real questuion is how do you get a fair look if your not one of the favorite chosen kids

This is a great question and the honest answer is tell your son to keep grinding. Inevitably talent rises to the top even without the opportunities of playing on a National Team, participating on a high quality lacrosse club or attending a high profile camp. Coaches will find the talent!! The journey may be a little more difficult but in the end your son will be better for it!! Trust me when I say I know from experience. Keep working has to be the consistent message.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a great question and the honest answer is tell your son to keep grinding. Inevitably talent rises to the top even without the opportunities of playing on a National Team, participating on a high quality lacrosse club or attending a high profile camp. Coaches will find the talent!! The journey may be a little more difficult but in the end your son will be better for it!! Trust me when I say I know from experience. Keep working has to be the consistent message.

This is 100% correct. The high school/club journey might be more difficult, but college programs care about Ws and will play the best available player. Young men who make it onto a college roster due to connections will not play over a more talented and stronger player. Keep grinding.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lacrosse is broken. Extremely brown. Taken over by greed and the all mighty dollar. The most corrupt money grab I’ve ever heard of. Politics are everywhere but even more significant than that is the bias toward “size” over “talent” out there on most teams. Incidentally, talent and effort beats size every single time (separate subject).

Having said that, it is no different than “life”. Life ain’t fair. It’s prejudice. It’s bias. It’s corrupt. What to do?? Holdback parents will say, quit, and hold your kid back (again).

It’s an obstacle. Your kid is going to encounter alot of them in his life. Should he quit? Or work even harder and hopefully overcome? This is what the sport is truely about. How your kid handles this obstacle is a precursor to how he will handle them for the rest of his life. Hint: keep grinding and overcome.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lacrosse is broken. Extremely brown. Taken over by greed and the all mighty dollar. The most corrupt money grab I’ve ever heard of. Politics are everywhere but even more significant than that is the bias toward “size” over “talent” out there on most teams. Incidentally, talent and effort beats size every single time (separate subject).

Having said that, it is no different than “life”. Life ain’t fair. It’s prejudice. It’s bias. It’s corrupt. What to do?? Holdback parents will say, quit, and hold your kid back (again).

It’s an obstacle. Your kid is going to encounter alot of them in his life. Should he quit? Or work even harder and hopefully overcome? This is what the sport is truely about. How your kid handles this obstacle is a precursor to how he will handle them for the rest of his life. Hint: keep grinding and overcome.

What sport doesn’t prioritize size?
Get over yourself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Typical lacrosse experience. Here’s mine. My kid did the UA couple years ago. The HC and AC for his team/region were co-owners of a club organization at the grade level. No other coaches on the staff. A conflict of interests possibly? Is there a financial incentive for these co-club owners to play kids from his club over any other kids? Obviously! As you can guess, only kids from their club team started every game and got by far the majority of the playing time. And if it was close, and college coaches were watching, he’d make sure only his club kids were playing. And they had kids on the team that weren’t from their geographic area, strictly forbidden, according to the rules in the website. This is lacrosse. You can’t make this stuff up.

You would think that UA would have rules against having coaches all from same club organization (who in this case owned the club).

I don’t know if they do, but I emailed the owner of UA and told him all about this. Any guesses on what his response was? Correct. There was no response. Lacrosse. As corrupt as it gets. From the inside, out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Typical lacrosse experience. Here’s mine. My kid did the UA couple years ago. The HC and AC for his team/region were co-owners of a club organization at the grade level. No other coaches on the staff. A conflict of interests possibly? Is there a financial incentive for these co-club owners to play kids from his club over any other kids? Obviously! As you can guess, only kids from their club team started every game and got by far the majority of the playing time. And if it was close, and college coaches were watching, he’d make sure only his club kids were playing. And they had kids on the team that weren’t from their geographic area, strictly forbidden, according to the rules in the website. This is lacrosse. You can’t make this stuff up.

You would think that UA would have rules against having coaches all from same club organization (who in this case owned the club).

I don’t know if they do, but I emailed the owner of UA and told him all about this. Any guesses on what his response was? Correct. There was no response. Lacrosse. As corrupt as it gets. From the inside, out.

What made you think emailing the owner of UA was the proper measure lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The majority of people on BOTC have been here for years. If you are just figuring out how corrupt they are, you have not been playing any sport for more than a year. Save your breath and anger and frustration.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What made you think emailing the owner of UA was the proper measure lol

How would be a better option? The president of youth lacrosse? Lol.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get over yourself.

Successful lacrosse teams. Take a look at many of the top D1 teams. Tons and tons of kids 5’9” and smaller. These successful coaches prioritize athleticism, IQ, skills and talent over size. Size is the least important component in the evaluation of offensive talent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get over yourself.

Successful lacrosse teams. Take a look at many of the top D1 teams. Tons and tons of kids 5’9” and smaller. These successful coaches prioritize athleticism, IQ, skills and talent over size. Size is the least important component in the evaluation of offensive talent.

My kid got invited to both Committed Combine and Project 9. We got the invite for CC first and registered. Got the invite for P9 yesterday. Think it’s worth it to do P9 too? This stuff is not cheap. P9 is 1500.00 for 2.5 days.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get over yourself.

Randomly selected a top-20 D1 team and 5 players out of 48 are 5'9" or below. I'd guess that's normal and I bet those 5 players are fast as xxxx. Size and speed are the easiest objective measures for coaches to use so they will always be a huge factor in tryouts and recruiting. There is nothing wrong with that. When everything else seems about even, any coach will take the bigger/faster kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lloyd Christmas reference might be the funniest thing ever posted on here!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get over yourself.

My kid got invited to both Committed Combine and Project 9. We got the invite for CC first and registered. Got the invite for P9 yesterday. Think it’s worth it to do P9 too? This stuff is not cheap. P9 is 1500.00 for 2.5 days.

YES!! only if you can affords it. If your kid is invited to any of the TOP recruiting showcases than do it. At these top events its a way for college coaches to know right off the bat your committed to the game and the next level.Coaches can weed your kid off the list or add them to a list or seal the deal. For the player it may be the difference in getting to the DREAM school of his choice.
If your kid is not invited and you know players are already invited before a tryout then you know its a money grab to fill the event. Many, many 4* and 5* recruits never see the field but just as many regular grinders who are very good lax players tend to see playing time sooner and often,Size has very little to do with it if your kid is a grinder.Plenty of examples of that from thepast 3 grad years. 20's.21's & 22's.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Crab comment is true. The fact that you can "tryout" by sending a highlight film in rather than showing up to the 90 minute tryout tells you that the majority of the team is decided beforehand.

Tryout with a highlight film? That's comical. Let me email you my highlights from last year instead of showing up on person and risking anything go wrong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Been watching all the sour grape bickering about the MD Region Nike Team. Past data does not support that being a Crab or playing HS for one of the evaluators creates an unfair selection process. I did a goggle search to see who made the team the last time the class of 22 played in the game. The data re club team affiliations was very revealing: 11 Hawks, 4 Crabs, 2 FCA, 2 RR and 3 clubs with 1 player each. Last I checked Hogan and King Crab are no where close to being bosom buddies, yet 11 Hawks earned their way on to the roster.

Not sure how the insecure and haters will respond to this data, but maybe this year’s rosters reflect the talent and ability that was best put on display at the tryout. Sure a deserving kid or two prob missed the team because an evaluator was looking somewhere else when they shined or circumstances resulted in their getting limited touches, etc. Based upon past data, whoever, it’s safe to assume the rosters most likely represent the cream of the talent crop, at this point in time, for central MD.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Been watching all the sour grape bickering about the MD Region Nike Team. Past data does not support that being a Crab or playing HS for one of the evaluators creates an unfair selection process. I did a goggle search to see who made the team the last time the class of 22 played in the game. The data re club team affiliations was very revealing: 11 Hawks, 4 Crabs, 2 FCA, 2 RR and 3 clubs with 1 player each. Last I checked Hogan and King Crab are no where close to being bosom buddies, yet 11 Hawks earned their way on to the roster.

Not sure how the insecure and haters will respond to this data, but maybe this year’s rosters reflect the talent and ability that was best put on display at the tryout. Sure a deserving kid or two prob missed the team because an evaluator was looking somewhere else when they shined or circumstances resulted in their getting limited touches, etc. Based upon past data, whoever, it’s safe to assume the rosters most likely represent the cream of the talent crop, at this point in time, for central MD.

How many made each team by sending highlight films in?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My guess is the 26 Nike team has a majority Crabs players. Makes sense since they are the best local team by far...Hawks probably has the second most .

25 Team is majority 91 MD players as they are the best 25 team in the Country. Logical thinking at it's best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tryout with a highlight film? That's comical. Let me email you my highlights from last year instead of showing up on person and risking anything go wrong.

From the Maryland Lax Nationals webpage:

Tryout fees are NON-Refundable

If you can not attend tryout in-person but want to submit film there is an option to do so during registration.

All players, whether attending in-person or submitting film for tryouts, are required to pay the registration fee.

If you are attending tryouts in person, you do not need to submit film during registration.

If NOT attending tryouts and submit film, your film will be evaluated and reviewed by a college coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

From the Maryland Lax Nationals webpage:

Tryout fees are NON-Refundable

If you can not attend tryout in-person but want to submit film there is an option to do so during registration.

All players, whether attending in-person or submitting film for tryouts, are required to pay the registration fee.

If you are attending tryouts in person, you do not need to submit film during registration.

If NOT attending tryouts and submit film, your film will be evaluated and reviewed by a college coach.

and?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I believe if Millon, Sunderland, etc were younger and wanted to play but they had a family conflict on tryout day and choose to send in film they would have made it. Not sure why people are hating on the film option.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My guess is the 26 Nike team has a majority Crabs players. Makes sense since they are the best local team by far...Hawks probably has the second most .

25 Team is majority 91 MD players as they are the best 25 team in the Country. Logical thinking at it's best.

👆🏻shocking how much sense this post makes. My guess is when the roster is broken down it will be Crabs and Hawks with a few other clubs like 91 and FCA scattered in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

👆🏻shocking how much sense this post makes. My guess is when the roster is broken down it will be Crabs and Hawks with a few other clubs like 91 and FCA scattered in.

Crabs and Hawks have the best teams so what’s the problem?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has played on multiple Nike teams. He is not a Crab though there are plenty (which makes sense given the program). Pretty sure most if not all of the kids tried out but by the time you are a fresh/soph in HS the evaluators have a pretty good idea what your body of work is. If anything they struggle with trying to keep some county/city/public/private diversity and having too many players from an individual HS (very obvious with the helmets). No one is ever happy but the teams have done very well so it's not like they are picking crappy teams filled with personal favorites...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son has played on multiple Nike teams. He is not a Crab though there are plenty (which makes sense given the program). Pretty sure most if not all of the kids tried out but by the time you are a fresh/soph in HS the evaluators have a pretty good idea what your body of work is. If anything they struggle with trying to keep some county/city/public/private diversity and having too many players from an individual HS (very obvious with the helmets). No one is ever happy but the teams have done very well so it's not like they are picking crappy teams filled with personal favorites...

well said and i agree

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This week will be humbling for many, so make sure you stock up on tissue for little Thad and his mommy Karen

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This week will be humbling for many, so make sure you stock up on tissue for little Thad and his mommy Karen
Heard CH makes their own tissue boxes for their parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
when do tryouts/ practice start

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tryouts/practice this week for McD. Assume true for most MIAA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CH has been practicing since last week. Tryouts are just a formality for V.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Crabs and Hawks have the best teams so what’s the problem?

Doesn’t the DMV team beat them the majority of the time? Doesn’t matter who Maryland has on the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CH has been practicing since last week. Tryouts are just a formality for V.

Huge formality and makes it easy for coaches to go play in the PLL

Like Reply Quote
Page 251 of 313 1 2 249 250 251 252 253 312 313
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard