BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,538
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 58 of 72 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 71 72
Re: Boys 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can anyone explain the NLF to me? I understand that there are an original 6 and also a group of affiliates. Seems to be alot of BS associated with these tournaments/teams....For instance, let's say you were a club on LI and your team was called something like "Team 19" (this is hypothetical). Let's say there was a strong club also on LI and let's say their team name was "Door 2 Door". Did you know in the NLF book of secrets/bylaws that if you're one of these Original 6 you can block a club from playing in these NLF tournaments? I just find it funny that on the front page of the NLF website in big bold letters it says "IRON SHARPENS IRON". This blocking rule flies completely in the face of true competition and is chicken BLEEP. Does anyone from other areas know of similar situations??? In the end we are talking about clubs, grown men, supposed ambassador's of the sport denying kids from the opportunity to compete which in my opinion flies in the face of why we even play sports and compete.

First of all, you need understand, this is lacrosse. It’s a business first and a kids sport a distant second. It’s not fair, it’s all political and one huge money grab. It is what it is. However, if you choose to go this route, and you want to give your kid all of the tools and opportunities to take it as far as he possibly can, then the NLF is absolutely your best route to go. Absolutely not arguable. He will simply get opportunities that others will not get. I went this route with my son, and he’s committed to a premier D1 program and tier 1 institution. Did I mention it won’t be costing me a dime? Obviously I spent about 50k on travel lax over the years, but turned out to be money well spent. Had he not had the exposure from his NLF team, I have no doubt that it would have turned out differently. You have one shot at this. It will drive you nuts and empty your wallet in the process. But if you want what is truely the best opportunity for your son, I highly recommend that you go with a well known, well respected NLF brand. Good luck!

I call troll on this one. You gave yourself away when you said that your son's premier D1 college program won't cost you a dime. Division 1 teams spread 12.6 scholarships among 30-40 players with each player getting somewhere between 10% and 50%. Unless your son is named Gait or Powell he is not getting 100%.
Thought the same thing when I read this…

Of course you did. Typical response, and exactly the reason for the post. To educate the people who have yet to go through the process and are basing their opinions on rumors. I’m telling you it’s very real and my kid is by no means an anomaly. Several kids on his team got similar deals. If you have any intelligent, specific questions I’m happy to expound. But it’s based on the fact that there are more “good” D1 teams than ever before and the competition has never been greater for recruits. And some teams have NIL money which they are offering. Some schools, with powerful boosters, have an unlimited supply NIL $$$.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone explain the NLF to me? I understand that there are an original 6 and also a group of affiliates. Seems to be alot of BS associated with these tournaments/teams....For instance, let's say you were a club on LI and your team was called something like "Team 19" (this is hypothetical). Let's say there was a strong club also on LI and let's say their team name was "Door 2 Door". Did you know in the NLF book of secrets/bylaws that if you're one of these Original 6 you can block a club from playing in these NLF tournaments? I just find it funny that on the front page of the NLF website in big bold letters it says "IRON SHARPENS IRON". This blocking rule flies completely in the face of true competition and is chicken BLEEP. Does anyone from other areas know of similar situations??? In the end we are talking about clubs, grown men, supposed ambassador's of the sport denying kids from the opportunity to compete which in my opinion flies in the face of why we even play sports and compete.

First of all, you need understand, this is lacrosse. It’s a business first and a kids sport a distant second. It’s not fair, it’s all political and one huge money grab. It is what it is. However, if you choose to go this route, and you want to give your kid all of the tools and opportunities to take it as far as he possibly can, then the NLF is absolutely your best route to go. Absolutely not arguable. He will simply get opportunities that others will not get. I went this route with my son, and he’s committed to a premier D1 program and tier 1 institution. Did I mention it won’t be costing me a dime? Obviously I spent about 50k on travel lax over the years, but turned out to be money well spent. Had he not had the exposure from his NLF team, I have no doubt that it would have turned out differently. You have one shot at this. It will drive you nuts and empty your wallet in the process. But if you want what is truely the best opportunity for your son, I highly recommend that you go with a well known, well respected NLF brand. Good luck!

I call troll on this one. You gave yourself away when you said that your son's premier D1 college program won't cost you a dime. Division 1 teams spread 12.6 scholarships among 30-40 players with each player getting somewhere between 10% and 50%. Unless your son is named Gait or Powell he is not getting 100%.
Thought the same thing when I read this…

Of course you did. Typical response, and exactly the reason for the post. To educate the people who have yet to go through the process and are basing their opinions on rumors. I’m telling you it’s very real and my kid is by no means an anomaly. Several kids on his team got similar deals. If you have any intelligent, specific questions I’m happy to expound. But it’s based on the fact that there are more “good” D1 teams than ever before and the competition has never been greater for recruits. And some teams have NIL money which they are offering. Some schools, with powerful boosters, have an unlimited supply NIL $$$.

Keep shoveling. You are amusing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All the best teams are at NLF. If your kid has what it takes go to tryouts. Complainers not wanted.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Had two go D1 so far. Hoping on third. Both prior did NLF and went D1. On older boys teams about ten went d1 and four d3 on each team. NLFclubs worked hard for both than HS. And it was the look from the NLF clubs that helped. Not the same I hear from other NLF regions but go top brand it helps. Hope this helps and good luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Had two go D1 so far. Hoping on third. Both prior did NLF and went D1. On older boys teams about ten went d1 and four d3 on each team. NLFclubs worked hard for both than HS. And it was the look from the NLF clubs that helped. Not the same I hear from other NLF regions but go top brand it helps. Hope this helps and good luck.

Serious insightful comments not helpful here!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I call troll too. The tell is claiming that your family will be "in the black" after college. The other tell is that you claim to be a Long Island Dad whose son is committed to college, yet here you are reading and writing long posts on a 2027 mid-atlantic board. You are trying too hard and overplaying your hand. Nice try though.

You all spend so much time trying to figure out who is writing the post that you miss the point. I was hoping people would respond more to whether boys need to be on an NLF team or not. Does it really make a difference in recruiting? I personally don't think it does but my son is just an 8th grader so I don't know.

Just look at commitments over the last few years, seems like a lot are coming from non-NLF teams.[/quote]

It has to start with "what's your son (realistic) goal?" Any advice prior to that question, aside from "get playing time" and "mind your grades" is just silly.

Once you answer that question, the math is still quite complex, especially due to the transfer portal.
In our family's experience (boys and girls lax), the most important factors, in order, have been:

1) You better be on the field all the time if you want elite D1 (starter by 10th) or high D2/D3 (starter by 11th). PT at club and school is critical unless you literally "don't care where you play in college." In which case, you'll be fine, you'll find a spot. Many D2 and D3 programs are still recruiting in the spring of senior year (you just have to remember to apply for admission the previous winter).

2) HS Coach's or Club Coach's Connections AND willingness to "make a call."

3) "Elite-ness" of your HS and club program, including brands like NLF, MIAA, etc.

4) Grades and leadership outside of lax; lax tradition and alumni of your school.

5) Do you fit the current recruiting trend of players at your position? For example, right now if you want to play upper D1 with a long pole, you better be 6'0"+ and be STACKED. Or giant SSDM's with a killer 40 speed and an ability to fast break through traffic. Seem like odd one-offs, but coaches decide "that's what they want" whether it's beneficial or not really. For example it seems like "nobody" (exaggeration) is recruiting tiny FOGOs the last 2 years. Even though a tiny FOGO can win consistently. Just a trend.

6) Coach or director-verified "growth" or "improvement" across several years of a specific camp or showcase. And their willingness to send an email / call / text on your behalf.

7) Good film.......but everybody has good film now, if you get enough PT .

Again, all this said, you can be an LSM being heavily recruited to play at Princeton and suddenly two genius LSM's come to Princeton through the transfer portal, right before your 12th grade year. It's a bit like the wild west right now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The most important thing is to be at an NLF program. They key is NLF, because the NLF factor will make coaches realize you are NLF. Did I mention NLF, that is really important.
I had four kids, who all played NLF, and everyone is raking in $$ like fool from lacrosse, and all their teammates too, and we owe it all to NLF. I am NOT an NLF director or owner pumping out an NLF infomercial, I am just a humble lax Dad trying to share my wisdom with the next generation of players.
Hope this helps!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I call troll too. The tell is claiming that your family will be "in the black" after college. The other tell is that you claim to be a Long Island Dad whose son is committed to college, yet here you are reading and writing long posts on a 2027 mid-atlantic board. You are trying too hard and overplaying your hand. Nice try though.

You all spend so much time trying to figure out who is writing the post that you miss the point. I was hoping people would respond more to whether boys need to be on an NLF team or not. Does it really make a difference in recruiting? I personally don't think it does but my son is just an 8th grader so I don't know.[/quote]

The short answer is NO, you do not need to be associated with an NLF program. The area we live in sends tons of kids to D1 schools and the NLF program here is not relevant, has really no competitive boys teams. Coincidentally, a non NLF club in this region that has had nearly 40 D1 commits from their 23' and 24' teams was blocked for years by this local NLF team, I guess if you can't beat them, block them. Plenty of high level tournaments out there these days, get on a good team and go play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You all spend so much time trying to figure out who is writing the post that you miss the point. I was hoping people would respond more to whether boys need to be on an NLF team or not. Does it really make a difference in recruiting? I personally don't think it does but my son is just an 8th grader so I don't know.

The short answer is NO, you do not need to be associated with an NLF program. The area we live in sends tons of kids to D1 schools and the NLF program here is not relevant, has really no competitive boys teams. Coincidentally, a non NLF club in this region that has had nearly 40 D1 commits from their 23' and 24' teams was blocked for years by this local NLF team, I guess if you can't beat them, block them. Plenty of high level tournaments out there these days, get on a good team and go play.[/quote]

Sure buddy sure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NLF holdbacks squads definitely block teams that are better than they are at certain ages.

And the kids on those blocked clubs still make it to college just fine.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The most important thing is to be at an NLF program. They key is NLF, because the NLF factor will make coaches realize you are NLF. Did I mention NLF, that is really important.
I had four kids, who all played NLF, and everyone is raking in $$ like fool from lacrosse, and all their teammates too, and we owe it all to NLF. I am NOT an NLF director or owner pumping out an NLF infomercial, I am just a humble lax Dad trying to share my wisdom with the next generation of players.
Hope this helps!

It didn’t.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D1 coach from Elite University here. I attend one tournament a year and it's NLF. If a kid scores a goal at NLF: Scholarship! Makes a save: Scholarship! Now, not every kid at NLF plays a ton. But if an NLF coach "makes a call" for a player: Scholarship + NIL $$$. It's how the system works. Some coaches look for truly elite speed and athleticism. But real winners build teams based on who played NLF in 8th, 9th, 10th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D1 coach from Elite University here. I attend one tournament a year and it's NLF. If a kid scores a goal at NLF: Scholarship! Makes a save: Scholarship! Now, not every kid at NLF plays a ton. But if an NLF coach "makes a call" for a player: Scholarship + NIL $$$. It's how the system works. Some coaches look for truly elite speed and athleticism. But real winners build teams based on who played NLF in 8th, 9th, 10th grade.

I love the direction this discussion is going. As somebody noted above, being on a well branded HS or club team in 10th-11th grade is important, but maybe the #4 or #5 biggest consideration. There are kids on NLF teams with 2.8 GPAs and 1100 on their SATs. They aren't headed to Yale, Cuse, UMD, UVA, Duke, etc. Elite college coaches don't want academic headaches and why should they tolerate them? "Oh you've had 11 conduct referrals in HS but you play on an NLF team? Come on in, here's your full scholarship and NIL bucks!" Please.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love the direction this discussion is going. As somebody noted above, being on a well branded HS or club team in 10th-11th grade is important, but maybe the #4 or #5 biggest consideration. There are kids on NLF teams with 2.8 GPAs and 1100 on their SATs. They aren't headed to Yale, Cuse, UMD, UVA, Duke, etc. Elite college coaches don't want academic headaches and why should they tolerate them? "Oh you've had 11 conduct referrals in HS but you play on an NLF team? Come on in, here's your full scholarship and NIL bucks!" Please.

If you think the HS or Club team you play on is the 5th biggest consideration to getting to college than you know nothing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hold the phone.Took a week with the family at Disney after club nationals. Didnt look here for a bit.Why the firestorm over NLF all of a sudden? Hard to read the script unless it is all one person talking to themself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hold the phone.Took a week with the family at Disney after club nationals. Didnt look here for a bit.Why the firestorm over NLF all of a sudden? Hard to read the script unless it is all one person talking to themself.

NLF is the ticket . All the big boy coaches attend. How anyone can think otherwise is running the risk of no D1 coming their way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here's the recap. One person keeps posting that being on an NLF team (which I think means one of the six programs that founded NLF) is the ticket to college scholarships and NIL money, and that not being on such a team means you missed the boat. Everyone is laughing at him and being sarcastic because he is so over the top that he tipped his hand as an infomercial by the owner of one of the programs.
It is probably not worth going back to read; everyone has figured out that he is a troll.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you think the HS or Club team you play on is the 5th biggest consideration to getting to college than you know nothing.

Drinking on a Wednesday, I see. Some serious John Carroll School energy you're vibing. I didn't mean to threaten your hopes of paying MIAA tuition and holding your nose until Cornell called for your son.

A 3rd string midfielder at BL (or Crabs, or 91), who the coaches don't like enough to use their network to find college options for, with a 2.4 GPA and 1050 SAT, is not going to get to go where he wants just because he owns a BL helmet or a beautiful Crabs helmet with zero dings in it from never facing a live defenseman. Film? You got it. Practice film!

But maybe my posts are all a dream, and you should just sleep it off.

-Dad of a D1 and D2 lax player who attended MIAA schools (and 2 more hopefuls).

-Also a Dad who attended good enough public schools to know the correct usage of "then" and "than."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Drinking on a Wednesday, I see. Some serious John Carroll School energy you're vibing. I didn't mean to threaten your hopes of paying MIAA tuition and holding your nose until Cornell called for your son.

A 3rd string midfielder at BL (or Crabs, or 91), who the coaches don't like enough to use their network to find college options for, with a 2.4 GPA and 1050 SAT, is not going to get to go where he wants just because he owns a BL helmet or a beautiful Crabs helmet with zero dings in it from never facing a live defenseman. Film? You got it. Practice film!

But maybe my posts are all a dream, and you should just sleep it off.

-Dad of a D1 and D2 lax player who attended MIAA schools (and 2 more hopefuls).

-Also a Dad who attended good enough public schools to know the correct usage of "then" and "than."

You are correct, these college coaches aren’t wasting time with academic headaches. Grades are priority 1. Then the kid has to be able to play. And get playing time. Regularly. In the top hs league AND club circuit. That is the standard. Not specifically what club you play for. Just that you play and produce for them at both levels. Regularly play and regularly produce.

There are only so many hours in the day to get a kid recruited. Most of the coaches push their kids to D1 even if it’s a bad fit and bad school. The top MIAA and Elite players get the attention when Cornell calls. Fogo #2 gets the attention when Mercer and Cleveland State call. No thanks. I’d rather go to a top D2 or D3 and play for a championship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not much action out there.

91 MD won the Madlax Capital Box Tourney against 91 NC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 MD was good. We were on one of the losing teams. Pretty decent tournament though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
91 MD was good. We were on one of the losing teams. Pretty decent tournament though.
Looks like it was a split 7th/8th grade division.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any word on VLC restarting a 2027 team?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And in Team 91's case, it was a 8th/9th grade team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A couple older 8th graders. But no 9th graders. All middle school students.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team MD reaching out. How many kids left after getting those new coaches?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope this helps!

So dont play for Maddog , Hawks, Igloo or BBL among others?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope this helps!

So dont play for Maddog , Hawks, Igloo or BBL among others?

A quick look at the commits the above teams have will tell you that they are doing OK not being an NLF team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"Several holdback 8th graders..." Fixed it for you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The holdback complaining is old at this point. It’s always been a issue and ever team in elite has them and AAA does too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team 91 is going to go from never making the playoffs and really rarely winning a game to challenging for first place. 4 kids held back in 8th grade for lacrosse. Proud moment.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Team 91 is going to go from never making the playoffs and really rarely winning a game to challenging for first place. 4 kids held back in 8th grade for lacrosse. Proud moment.

Well they will have to get past Crabs they don’t even look like the same team and they have even more holdbacks this year. HOCO will be a joke this spring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well they will have to get past Crabs they don’t even look like the same team and they have even more holdbacks this year. HOCO will be a joke this spring.

Good luck handicapping the 2027s this season! I think you can throw previous years results out with all the roster changes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Specifically for 91 and Crabs, were the current repeat8thgraders any good for the the 26's or were they the top players. I know a couple were very average and now they were killing it in the fall. As far as handicapping, it won't help the forever champs Hawks that their best player has prioritized the all star teams over the Hawks. I thought Hawks had a rule against that. I guess not when it's the best player.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Specifically for 91 and Crabs, were the current repeat8thgraders any good for the the 26's or were they the top players. I know a couple were very average and now they were killing it in the fall. As far as handicapping, it won't help the forever champs Hawks that their best player has prioritized the all star teams over the Hawks. I thought Hawks had a rule against that. I guess not when it's the best player.

I don’t think the national schedule interferes with HOCO.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He's supposed to be the best player, he's supposed to be a 2026. Famous holdback. But he's done growing I bet. Everyone else will catch up. He's not really that good...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He's supposed to be the best player, he's supposed to be a 2026. Famous holdback. But he's done growing I bet. Everyone else will catch up. He's not really that good...

All of the elite teams are full of holdbacks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don’t let your true colors show or anything.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The holdback complaining is old at this point. It’s always been a issue and ever team in elite has them and AAA does too.
He’s right though.

The OP said “a couple.” 2 holdbacks. There were “a few.” 3 holdbacks.

Like Reply Quote
Page 58 of 72 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 71 72
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard