BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,545
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 248 of 313 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 312 313
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How did I miss Mac Christmas now enrolled at McDonogh and left Gtown Prep. Does he not have to sit out a year?? Any other significant transfers into the MIAA?

Shame on McDonogh for allowing/recruiting a senior transfer purely for athletic purposes.

LOL - don't stop at McDonogh.

See BL Sr. attackman that transferred in this year, as well as the CH attackman that is also too old to play MIAA.

Is that Provost at CH? Who at BL?

This is all ridiculous that they would take kids only to be able to play in out of conference games and not MIAA games. I'd be so pissed if my spot was fluctuating back and forth.

Exactly. The thing that you really have to consider about BL is that the pecking order is changing intentionally. 5 years ago, if you transferred out of a private school in 8th as a lax recruit, to reclass another 8th grade year in BL, the world was your oyster. Now, the "day school students" and their families are being asked to be flexible with everything from tuition increases to giving up spots on sports teams to the boarding students. It is a big gamble by the school.......if the local kids see red flags and don't want to attend BL, the boarding school kids will have to come up big (in numbers) to ensure that good athletics continue.

All that said, this is a normal problem when sports teams, clubs, or programs shift their focus. The old "top dogs" are made uncomfortable (either because the new competition isn't good enough, or it's too good), and eventually see themselves out, and then the organization hopes that the new model and new kids actually work out.
CHC, BL, and MCD should be ashamed of themselves with these senior year transfers.... The arrogant coaches and staff are ruining MIAA lacrosse for everyone else. I wish the rest of the MIAA would ban these schools like they did with St Frances in football....

To bring this thread back around, I think this "messing with the controls" by the lax coaches is a bunch of experiments to understand how they will get an edge if/when age-based lax comes back, which will reduce (not eliminate) the # of prep school holdbacks.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To bring this thread back around, I think this "messing with the controls" by the lax coaches is a bunch of experiments to understand how they will get an edge if/when age-based lax comes back, which will reduce (not eliminate) the # of prep school holdbacks.
I don't understand how age-based youth lacrosse has anything to do with high school lacrosse?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How did I miss Mac Christmas now enrolled at McDonogh and left Gtown Prep. Does he not have to sit out a year?? Any other significant transfers into the MIAA?

Shame on McDonogh for allowing/recruiting a senior transfer purely for athletic purposes.

See BL Sr. attackman that transferred in this year, as well as the CH attackman that is also too old to play MIAA.

This is all ridiculous that they would take kids only to be able to play in out of conference games and not MIAA games. I'd be so pissed if my spot was fluctuating back and forth.

Exactly. The thing that you really have to consider about BL is that the pecking order is changing intentionally. 5 years ago, if you transferred out of a private school in 8th as a lax recruit, to reclass another 8th grade year in BL, the world was your oyster. Now, the "day school students" and their families are being asked to be flexible with everything from tuition increases to giving up spots on sports teams to the boarding students. It is a big gamble by the school.......if the local kids see red flags and don't want to attend BL, the boarding school kids will have to come up big (in numbers) to ensure that good athletics continue.

All that said, this is a normal problem when sports teams, clubs, or programs shift their focus. The old "top dogs" are made uncomfortable (either because the new competition isn't good enough, or it's too good), and eventually see themselves out, and then the organization hopes that the new model and new kids actually work out.
CHC, BL, and MCD should be ashamed of themselves with these senior year transfers.... The arrogant coaches and staff are ruining MIAA lacrosse for everyone else. I wish the rest of the MIAA would ban these schools like they did with St Frances in football....

Whats Hilarious is they are doing just what Poggs did at Gilman , only difference is that is a bunch of rich white lacrosse players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How's LB positioned this year? Someone posted they had the most D1 recruits on the roster. Assume with that level of depth they will at least make the semis, correct?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why run the risk @ BL for the price you pay and education you receive when there are many other options. Too risky to go to school there anymore???

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why run the risk @ BL for the price you pay and education you receive when there are many other options. Too risky to go to school there anymore???

If you kid is not an Elite player on an Elite team, he has no shot at playing at BL. Boarding has changed the landscape at BL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you kid is not an Elite player on an Elite team, he has no shot at playing at BL. Boarding has changed the landscape at BL
Its really not that nice of a school anyway... The facilities are not on par with some of the better populated schools in the MIAA... But if you want your kid to be glossed over his senior year by a transfer from another State....by all means go for it....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Preseason MIAA Poll:

MD
SM
BL
SP
CH
LHS
SS
MSJ
JC
GS
AS

I've got

McD
BL
CH
StM
StP
LB
Severn
JC
MSJ
AS
Gilman

Close. JC should be at the bottom. They had a lucky year and most of their players graduated. They don’t bring kids in like any other school. My son friends with one of their varsity players - they haven’t even started any kind of practice. They missed the fall tournament. I’m betting they don’t get a win.

McD
BL
CH
StM
StP
LB
Severn
MSJ
AS
Gilman
JC

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its really not that nice of a school anyway... The facilities are not on par with some of the better populated schools in the MIAA... But if you want your kid to be glossed over his senior year by a transfer from another State....by all means go for it....

OK OK, not a BL dad but I have to point out - this scenario can happen at any school. Especially if your son is playing at a level where he needs 12th grade highlight film. I tell every lax parent about this downside of private school. Another kid can just roll in, and you have zero notice, zero wait time, etc.

And honestly the facilities at BL are "fine." It's similar to Friends School down the street. Loyola's new fields and new middle school are hard to ignore. St. Pauls is inexplicably always nice, as is McDonogh, Gilman. I'm sure CHC has another construction project coming up soon, if one is not underway currently.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Exciting time for all the ‘27 dads looking at Big Lax High School!

At least until next spring when their kids realize they gave up their second sport to be one of 45 freshmen laxers.

Poor quarter zip dads, all drinking the koolaid.

Bit of advice- buy the sideline jacket from the team store. Those benches are COLD in March and April!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gilman’s building a new athletic facility. They’ve already raised $95 million. New board new priorities. It will be the best until the next school breaks ground on theirs. Financial aid and scholarships are starting to happen for football with lacrosse next. Going to take 2-4 years. Welcome back Biff!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At least until next spring when their kids realize they gave up their second sport to be one of 45 freshmen laxers.

Bit of advice- buy the sideline jacket from the team store. Those benches are COLD in March and April!

You sound like someone with experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many freshman parents will be crying and demanding answers to their kids fresh/soph placement after tryouts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure what sort of epidemic the "senior transfer" is. McD has had one in five (?) years and he is eligible for every game (no age issue). BL has none that I know of this year (sophomore and junior transfers have happened there). Don't even know if any at CHC this year (or last). Again, maybe a soph or junior here or there from out of town. On a 35-50 man roster, plenty of spots and playing time for top players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How many freshman parents will be crying and demanding answers to their kids fresh/soph placement after tryouts?

Honestly, only the parents who took the bait from the Lax Club directors who were "going to get him ready for Varsity in 9th grade" and "recruit him to the elite HS with the best fit (psssst, you should hold back)." I'm looking at you, shiny red helmets, shiny orange helmets, and ugly yellow helmets. But it's kind of on the parents for believing this craziness, and then putting it on the shoulders of MIAA coaches.

The vast majority of parents either don't engage with the coaches or if they do, they know that their son didn't do his best at tryouts, had a temper tantrum/threw a helmet, yapped back at coach, showed up late repeatedly, etc.

But sure, go play 2nd line at John Carroll or Park School instead of 3rd line at CHC/BL. To each his own. Your 2nd line Friends School attackman will have roughly the same college recruitment opportunities as a 3rd line Gilman ATT, if all other things are equal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure what sort of epidemic the "senior transfer" is. McD has had one in five (?) years and he is eligible for every game (no age issue). BL has none that I know of this year (sophomore and junior transfers have happened there). Don't even know if any at CHC this year (or last). Again, maybe a soph or junior here or there from out of town. On a 35-50 man roster, plenty of spots and playing time for top players.

not true - BL has lefty Sr attack transfer that's apparently going to UNC

check your facts

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Honestly, only the parents who took the bait from the Lax Club directors who were "going to get him ready for Varsity in 9th grade" and "recruit him to the elite HS with the best fit (psssst, you should hold back)." I'm looking at you, shiny red helmets, shiny orange helmets, and ugly yellow helmets. But it's kind of on the parents for believing this craziness, and then putting it on the shoulders of MIAA coaches.

The vast majority of parents either don't engage with the coaches or if they do, they know that their son didn't do his best at tryouts, had a temper tantrum/threw a helmet, yapped back at coach, showed up late repeatedly, etc.

But sure, go play 2nd line at John Carroll or Park School instead of 3rd line at CHC/BL. To each his own. Your 2nd line Friends School attackman will have roughly the same college recruitment opportunities as a 3rd line Gilman ATT, if all other things are equal.

Man.

What a lost frame of mind.

Just all around.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Man.

What a lost frame of mind.

Just all around.

Says the guy whose life mission is compulsively posting, in some form or other, that "all the good players refuse to go to their local Catholic schools and the big schools must be stopped at all costs." I'm sorry your son's friends took offers to attend Gilman and Calvert Hall, and your son is the only one who ended up at John Carroll. Sheeeeeesh enough already. "They could have been a dynasty at John Carroll!" Sure.

As to frame of mind, My above post says:
1) Really nobody is complaining to coaches
2) It's not the school coach's fault that mommy or Club Coach have big ambitions, it's up to the kid to show out.
3) Kids should play where they want to play, they'll end up where they're supposed to end up.

How is that a lost mindset?

Go back to your Bel Air Uber Eats delivery. No tip for you for all the cheese being on one side of the pizza. Yet again. I guess that is the fault of the Calvert Hall coaches too. Speaking of lost mindsets.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

check your facts

Yep. Family is moving here from Atlanta so their son can play at BL. Coach coordinated the move to replace the recently graduated wunderkind.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do what ya gotta do to win.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To clarify BL has the following upper class transfers on this year's squad:

Niko Karetsos is a A transfer from PAce (Ga.) who is committed to UNC in the 2024 class.

Parker Hoffman is a FO transfer from Gunnery (Conn.) who is committed to UNC in the 2024 class.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

check your facts

Yep. Family is moving here from Atlanta so their son can play at BL. Coach coordinated the move to replace the recently graduated wunderkind.

I've been around the BL - Atlanta relationship building and honestly it's mostly with younger (middle school age) kids. A little surprised but not surprised with the upper class transfers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Niko Karetsos is a A transfer from PAce (Ga.) who is committed to UNC in the 2024 class.

Parker Hoffman is a FO transfer from Gunnery (Conn.) who is committed to UNC in the 2024 class.

we're splitting hairs here but the A is actually a senior (unless he reclassed AGAIN)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Freshman year is easy. All those kids have a spot on a team. It’s the SOPHS and JRS that get cut and wash out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Freshman year is easy. All those kids have a spot on a team. It’s the SOPHS and JRS that get cut and wash out.

Doesn’t this happen in most sports?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're correct, but please don't feed the troll.

On John Carroll Candy Mountain
All the Kids Get Playing Time
While the Gilman Kids and Cardinals
Sit On The Bench and Whine

The Lax Dads are Never Sad
Even though the Academics are quite weak
Playing Harford Tech Ain't So Bad

My Rec Team Stays Intact
Everyone says they are very scrappy
But they can't win, that's a fact

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

we're splitting hairs here but the A is actually a senior (unless he reclassed AGAIN)

Correct that was a mistake on my part.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid’s school has a freshman team, they are bringing in 50 lacrosse players kids a year. They don’t have plans for developing your kid. It’s an enrollment driver, nothing else.

Numbers don’t lie. Look at how many seniors are on varsity. Expect your kid to wash out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow used that time sitting in beltway traffic or the mall parking lot at 5:30 in the morning wisely. Bitter dude. Yes agreed not as talented to established programs but did beat CHC and wasn't to far off in beating Gilman that you sing about. College coach want a kid that accepts sitting or a kid that wants to compete at the highest level on the field. There is way more to HS experience then the opening day of the team swag store.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hope you have a day you deserve…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your kid’s school has a freshman team, they are bringing in 50 lacrosse players kids a year. They don’t have plans for developing your kid. It’s an enrollment driver, nothing else.

Numbers don’t lie. Look at how many seniors are on varsity. Expect your kid to wash out.

John Carroll Debbie Downer....tell me your kid can't compete, without telling me your kid can't compete.

If you've ever coached, you know what kinds of kids wash out and for what reasons. And guess what, it happens it small "local community private schools" too, for the same reasons, and to the same kids. And HS coaching staff will develop kids a whole heck of a lot more than the lax clubs ever have, or ever will.

Some washout thoughts:
If he has played on LTLC or Breakers etc through 8th grade but you think school will magically "develop" him...he'll wash out.
If he tends to goof off at practices or cause the team to run laps.....he'll wash out.
If he has trouble keeping that 3.0 in middle school.....he'll wash out (or into another sport).
If he does not prepare for tryouts....he'll wash out.
If he does not do PT after injuries......he'll wash out.
If he thinks it's hilarious to antagonize the coaches...he'll wash out.
If he gets judicial referrals more than once a year....he'll probably wash out.
If he is just living out his dad's lax fantasy...he'll find an excuse on the list above to wash out.
If he is emotionally weak and can't get over the "insult" of getting cut from varsity in 9th grade...he'll wash out.

When those 150 kids show up to try out for 40-60 varsity sports, a solid 80 of those kids have the combination of "wanting to be there" and "having the basic talent to make it." The other 70, either don't have the skill/size, or aren't really committal about putting in the required effort to show out....or they are 9th graders.

If your kid cannot handle that grind, yes, you are being a good parent by not putting him through this. But it is exhausting to hear you keep shaming other parents for making the other choice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow used that time sitting in beltway traffic or the mall parking lot at 5:30 in the morning wisely. Bitter dude. Yes agreed not as talented to established programs but did beat CHC and wasn't to far off in beating Gilman that you sing about. College coach want a kid that accepts sitting or a kid that wants to compete at the highest level on the field. There is way more to HS experience then the opening day of the team swag store.

Ha he said" Opening Day of the swag store" It's like the super bowl. Wonder what's on the menu for this epic day. Dad might even stop into Pamisano's on the way home for a special treat. Dude so bitter he wrote a song to justify being miserable his kid doesn't want to compete.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This forum is going to be juicy in another month.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're correct, but please don't feed the troll.

All the Kids Get Playing Time
While the Gilman Kids and Cardinals
Sit On The Bench and Whine

The Lax Dads are Never Sad
Even though the Academics are quite weak
Playing Harford Tech Ain't So Bad

My Rec Team Stays Intact
Everyone says they are very scrappy
But they can't win, that's a fact

Oh I get it! My son can't play so I'll go to Baltimore county and act like I'm to good while sitting on bench. Legit families that go to Balt co don't go on message boards to justify. They contribute on the field. Be aware of the dad who thinks he is helping program by talking/sing bs about other programs. Culture killer....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ha he said" Opening Day of the swag store" It's like the super bowl. Wonder what's on the menu for this epic day. Dad might even stop into Pamisano's on the way home for a special treat. Dude so bitter he wrote a song to justify being miserable his kid doesn't want to compete.

LOL no, the song was a gift from me (a LB "future washout" dad, apparently), so he can sing it on all the days that Ivy League coaches aren't visiting John Carroll this spring. Which is of course, every day. Sung to the tune of "Hard Rock Candy Mountain" which is a early 1900s prison song about living in a fantasy land, as this John Carroll dad is. "My son's going to get all the playing time." Yeah, maybe.

And seriously, Palmisanos is great! There's no real reason to be in most of Harford County most of the time, but the hot pepper spread on the cheese steaks is for real.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Admit it! You sang along! Bwahahaha

I'm not bitter at all. Kid made "Big MIAA" varsity in 10th and played a little. Life is good. We'll see what happens on March 1.

It's your bitterness that I find curious, I've never known anyone who enters every conversation with, BUT YOUR KID WILL WASH OUT AT A BIG SCHOOL AND THE BIG SCHOOLS ARE RUINING JOHN CARROLL AND THE DIRTY RECRUITING GRRRRR!

I mean we get it dude.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow Loyola Blakefield families are at different level of class...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keep an eye out for Gilman! New weight room complete and a new 95 million dollar upgrade for new indoor facility etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MSJ is a bottom feeder

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keep an eye out for Gilman! New weight room complete and a new 95 million dollar upgrade for new indoor facility etc.

More like "Keep an eye out for the Predators" at Gilman.

Like Reply Quote
Page 248 of 313 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 312 313
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard