BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,813
Posts387,292
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 72 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 71 72
Re: Boys 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Where are the 27s heading for high school?

I will give the lax dads of the 2026s props...compared to the 2027s, there is not as much of (at this moment), "Well my son is HIGHLY recruited and got a personal call from X coach at X HS."

That being said, it's a hard process, even with Lax Eliteness. From what I know of past years, % admission to the various HS is not a walk in the park. The least restrictive......Curley and MSJ, accept about 50% of applicants. The academically more prestigious large MIAA-A schools (Gilman, McD, Loyola) accept about 25%. Severn, St Marys, St Pauls and BL.......I think closer to 10% these days because the middle schools are swelling with kids whose parents got fed up with public schools during covid. Not an indicator of athletic or academic eliteness but certainly competitive.

A few of those schools MAY only accept 10% at the HS level. But it's all a shell game-

Most Baltimore locals also know that some of those super selective schools let almost ANYONE in at the Middle school and 8th grade level.

Were you denied HS admissions at our "selective" school? Do you have questionable middle school grades heading into HS?

Just retake 8th grade...with us!

Where do you think "academic" and "development" holdbacks originally came from?

It's been happening at some of these schools for DECADES.

I'm a Towson dad of an MIAA MS kid who plays a few rec sports on his days off from lax/football. And I'll tell you exactly who makes this specific comment:

Moms of kids who are capable of MIAA academics and sports but choose to stay public.

Where the above comment is motivated from is

1) that there are a few kids (Gilman, SP, Loyola) who....yeah it's hard to know how they convinced the school to admit them. Boys Latin....maybe more than a few.

2) The moms of those kids, in some cases, strut around like they are hot stuff because their kid got into Gilman/LB/BL/SP in 6th grade.

3) Annoyed public school mom recognizes that some of the newly minted MIAA Athlete Geniuses are less smart and less athletic than her kids.

4) Comment generated: "these schools let almost ANYONE in!"

The fact is that MS admission rate is <50% for 6th grade at every school, and closer to 10% at 7th and 8th grade. Even at big bad mediocre Loyola, they are looking to add 10 new kids in 7th grade and 10 more in 8th grade before adding 100 (out of 400 applicants) in 9th grade.

Do you think they can't be or aren't selective with 10 spots to play with?

Even in 6th grade, these schools are looking to fill 25-60 spots. Do you really think just 50 kids apply lol. "oh they let anyone in these places!"

Yeah. Maybe.

Your argument points out something interesting when you shine the light on the fact that: Families have a 50% chance to get in at Middle school. And there are plenty of kids who have no right being in those schools, but get in anyway.

Promising the MS kids a spot in the high school, but then being "selective" with those final few spots, does not make a school selective.

It means the schools prefer kids/families enter at middle school.

It's a sales/marketing technique.

Many parents opt for free public or cheap(er) private school through middle school. So this technique of admissions helps ensure the middle school stays full.

You're in way over your head with your straw man argument. At <50% acceptance in middle schools, that is still a selective process, which doesn't mean that some duds aren't admitted....they are.

2022 acceptance rates, that in your words would be "not competitive" and "not selective":

Purdue 59%
UMass Amherst 58%
UM College Park 52%
Penn State 51%
Syracuse 48%
Villanova 48%
UT Austin 48%
U Florida 47%
NYU 39%

But I'm sure you'll brag about your kid playing coed club lax at JMU so, at least you'll have that. I'm sure he already has a plain white Cascade helmet to stick on a JMU sticker from the book store.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well this discussion has sure jumped the shark. I can't even follow what is being said anymore.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I will give the lax dads of the 2026s props...compared to the 2027s, there is not as much of (at this moment), "Well my son is HIGHLY recruited and got a personal call from X coach at X HS."

That being said, it's a hard process, even with Lax Eliteness. From what I know of past years, % admission to the various HS is not a walk in the park. The least restrictive......Curley and MSJ, accept about 50% of applicants. The academically more prestigious large MIAA-A schools (Gilman, McD, Loyola) accept about 25%. Severn, St Marys, St Pauls and BL.......I think closer to 10% these days because the middle schools are swelling with kids whose parents got fed up with public schools during covid. Not an indicator of athletic or academic eliteness but certainly competitive.

A few of those schools MAY only accept 10% at the HS level. But it's all a shell game-

Most Baltimore locals also know that some of those super selective schools let almost ANYONE in at the Middle school and 8th grade level.

Were you denied HS admissions at our "selective" school? Do you have questionable middle school grades heading into HS?

I'm a Towson dad of an MIAA MS kid who plays a few rec sports on his days off from lax/football. And I'll tell you exactly who makes this specific comment:

Moms of kids who are capable of MIAA academics and sports but choose to stay public.

1) that there are a few kids (Gilman, SP, Loyola) who....yeah it's hard to know how they convinced the school to admit them. Boys Latin....maybe more than a few.

2) The moms of those kids, in some cases, strut around like they are hot stuff because their kid got into Gilman/LB/BL/SP in 6th grade.

3) Annoyed public school mom recognizes that some of the newly minted MIAA Athlete Geniuses are less smart and less athletic than her kids.

The fact is that MS admission rate is <50% for 6th grade at every school, and closer to 10% at 7th and 8th grade. Even at big bad mediocre Loyola, they are looking to add 10 new kids in 7th grade and 10 more in 8th grade before adding 100 (out of 400 applicants) in 9th grade.

Even in 6th grade, these schools are looking to fill 25-60 spots. Do you really think just 50 kids apply lol. "oh they let anyone in these places!"

Yeah. Maybe.

Your argument points out something interesting when you shine the light on the fact that: Families have a 50% chance to get in at Middle school. And there are plenty of kids who have no right being in those schools, but get in anyway.

Promising the MS kids a spot in the high school, but then being "selective" with those final few spots, does not make a school selective.

Many parents opt for free public or cheap(er) private school through middle school. So this technique of admissions helps ensure the middle school stays full.

You're in way over your head with your straw man argument. At <50% acceptance in middle schools, that is still a selective process, which doesn't mean that some duds aren't admitted....they are.

2022 acceptance rates, that in your words would be "not competitive" and "not selective".

So you opted to get your kid enrolled early during Middle School.
The marketing worked on you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah. Maybe.

2022 acceptance rates, that in your words would be "not competitive" and "not selective".

Yes - thank goodness for guardian angels like yourself, who are immune from marketing! Thank you for your service, sir!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yaaaaawn..
...entry fee checks for the 23' tournament season have
been cashed boys. Holdback issue is done like dinner for this age group. I suggest we get back to discussing even more useless topics like rankings, obnoxious parents.etc...
Here's one for you. The NXT Spring league in Philly has 3 Top 10 ranked teams in it, making it on paper a tougher spring league than Hoco. Be cool to see the winner of that league play the winner of Hoco at the end of their respective seasons

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yaaaaawn..
...entry fee checks for the 23' tournament season have
been cashed boys. Holdback issue is done like dinner for this age group. I suggest we get back to discussing even more useless topics like rankings, obnoxious parents.etc...
Here's one for you. The NXT Spring league in Philly has 3 Top 10 ranked teams in it, making it on paper a tougher spring league than Hoco. Be cool to see the winner of that league play the winner of Hoco at the end of their respective seasons

So watching team ten beat the hawks again?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah. Maybe.

Yes - thank goodness for guardian angels like yourself, who are immune from marketing! Thank you for your service, sir!

Just because these boys start in middle school doesn’t mean they’re any good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are they having the Club Nationals tournament in Florida this year, and if so, who is playing? My son's team isn't going this year and it's hard to find info on tourney app or the internet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are they having the Club Nationals tournament in Florida this year, and if so, who is playing? My son's team isn't going this year and it's hard to find info on tourney app or the internet.

It’s on tourney app and not surprised madlax gave themselves the easiest division. Interesting to see who wins it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pretty weak overall field. Lots of 2nd national teams and okay clubs. Mad dog division is the weakest.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pretty weak overall field. Lots of 2nd national teams and okay clubs. Mad dog division is the weakest.

Anywhere the Sewer Rats play you can bet its a third tier tournament.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looks like the Circuit and the MadLax event are competing with each other. The MadLax event looks to have a watered down field, and the teams that do go will probably have watered down rosters, which actually might help spare the MadLax from being embarrassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So what is the deal with Sewer Rats? I assume the name is satire but who pays a ton of money to go to Florida over the holidays and play for a team named that? Bizarre.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So what is the deal with Sewer Rats? I assume the name is satire but who pays a ton of money to go to Florida over the holidays and play for a team named that? Bizarre.

True actively trying to poach other programs players:

The purpose of the Sewer Rats Program is to bring players and coaches together from various clubs across the country to compete in elite events and provide players with high-level coaching through our training camps and Zoom strategy sessions leading up to each event.

The Sewer Rats teams also serve as an evaluation hammerhead for players who are not already on our True National teams. These players get to compete at a higher level and get evaluated by more coaches. The emphasis of this program is on education; players get hours of training, both virtual and in-person, and they get to connect with other players and coaches from across the country to expand their network and compete on a national stage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The purpose of the Sewer Rats Program is to bring players and coaches together from various clubs across the country to compete in elite events and provide players with high-level coaching through our training camps and Zoom strategy sessions leading up to each event.

The Sewer Rats teams also serve as an evaluation hammerhead for players who are not already on our True National teams. These players get to compete at a higher level and get evaluated by more coaches. The emphasis of this program is on education; players get hours of training, both virtual and in-person, and they get to connect with other players and coaches from across the country to expand their network and compete on a national stage.

Gotta make sure there is a national team opportunity for every player regardless of ability.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where do I sign Johnny up?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Money Grab . How many more National elite teams do we need ?? Pretty soon, C players will be on elite National Teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I still can't get over the name Sewer Rats. Anybody know why True gave these teams such a pejorative name?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone explain the NLF to me? I understand that there are an original 6 and also a group of affiliates. Seems to be alot of BS associated with these tournaments/teams....For instance, let's say you were a club on LI and your team was called something like "Team 19" (this is hypothetical). Let's say there was a strong club also on LI and let's say their team name was "Door 2 Door". Did you know in the NLF book of secrets/bylaws that if you're one of these Original 6 you can block a club from playing in these NLF tournaments? I just find it funny that on the front page of the NLF website in big bold letters it says "IRON SHARPENS IRON". This blocking rule flies completely in the face of true competition and is chicken BLEEP. Does anyone from other areas know of similar situations??? In the end we are talking about clubs, grown men, supposed ambassador's of the sport denying kids from the opportunity to compete which in my opinion flies in the face of why we even play sports and compete.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can anyone explain the NLF to me? I understand that there are an original 6 and also a group of affiliates. Seems to be alot of BS associated with these tournaments/teams....For instance, let's say you were a club on LI and your team was called something like "Team 19" (this is hypothetical). Let's say there was a strong club also on LI and let's say their team name was "Door 2 Door". Did you know in the NLF book of secrets/bylaws that if you're one of these Original 6 you can block a club from playing in these NLF tournaments? I just find it funny that on the front page of the NLF website in big bold letters it says "IRON SHARPENS IRON". This blocking rule flies completely in the face of true competition and is chicken BLEEP. Does anyone from other areas know of similar situations??? In the end we are talking about clubs, grown men, supposed ambassador's of the sport denying kids from the opportunity to compete which in my opinion flies in the face of why we even play sports and compete.

Same deal in NJ. Leading Edge is a founding member of NLF and has blocked BBL, Tri-State, and other NJ programs from participating in the NLF.

This was a bigger deal 5-10 years ago when there were fewer options. There are now a ton of non-NLF tourneys that provide excellent visibility to top college programs (NAL, Naptown, Great 8, etc). If you're at a program that competes in these tourneys and can get you invited to the top showcases, than there's no reason to fret about NLF access.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, I like to dunk on True every chance I get, but this sounds like they are trying to assemble teams for the Circuit for next year. Kids on True National (the real one in IL) play for Team 18, Red Hots, and other Circuit teams already. So.....business yes, money grab, probably.

Back to dunking on True.....one thing I continue to find is that anyone promising "evaluation by coaches" is never going to give you an actual evaluation of your son's performance.

And "virtual training" - Team 18 just announced something like this as well (subscription based, mainly pre-recorded content). I'm sure both are trying to replicate the FCL model, which has proven useful for some players. Generally OK for HS kids who have the attention span to really watch and learn from film sessions, fine. For MS kids - it's hard enough just to get them to watch relevant film at all. Money grab.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So watching team ten beat the hawks again?

Mesa

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Same deal in NJ. Leading Edge is a founding member of NLF and has blocked BBL, Tri-State, and other NJ programs from participating in the NLF.

This was a bigger deal 5-10 years ago when there were fewer options. There are now a ton of non-NLF tourneys that provide excellent visibility to top college programs (NAL, Naptown, Great 8, etc). If you're at a program that competes in these tourneys and can get you invited to the top showcases, than there's no reason to fret about NLF access.

Spot on. In the DC metro, MadLax has the power to block out competitors, which is why NextLevel, a team that beat MadLax by 10 goals in their HoCo playoff game last spring, does not play in NLF. but as the PP said, it doesn't really matter anymore because there are so many zillions of opportunities for the good players and good teams to get exposure.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ML is blocking NL from NLF? That's false. ML is only an affiliate member. Check your facts or maybe ask your coach why they won't let them in.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your understanding is basically correct, but you should not get preachy or worked up about it. Elite level travel lacrosse is a very profitable big business (if done right) and the clubs compete against each other in every way they possibly can, just like all businesses do. These six programs formed a clever opportunity to freeze out competitors and they seized it. Good for them. But there are tons of opportunities for kids to play lacrosse at every level from rec up to elite. To get upset because your son's team does not play in any particular tournament is self-inflicted agony and a first world problem. Trust me, your son will survive, and if he is a good player with good grades, the college coaches will find him just fine.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your understanding is basically correct, but you should not get preachy or worked up about it. Elite level travel lacrosse is a very profitable big business (if done right) and the clubs compete against each other in every way they possibly can, just like all businesses do. These six programs formed a clever opportunity to freeze out competitors and they seized it. Good for them. But there are tons of opportunities for kids to play lacrosse at every level from rec up to elite. To get upset because your son's team does not play in any particular tournament is self-inflicted agony and a first world problem. Trust me, your son will survive, and if he is a good player with good grades, the college coaches will find him just fine.

Didn’t sound preachy to me. I believe he called it chicken bleep, which that is exactly what it is, chicken bleep

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, I like to dunk on True every chance I get, but this sounds like they are trying to assemble teams for the Circuit for next year. Kids on True National (the real one in IL) play for Team 18, Red Hots, and other Circuit teams already. So.....business yes, money grab, probably.

Back to dunking on True.....one thing I continue to find is that anyone promising "evaluation by coaches" is never going to give you an actual evaluation of your son's performance.

And "virtual training" - Team 18 just announced something like this as well (subscription based, mainly pre-recorded content). I'm sure both are trying to replicate the FCL model, which has proven useful for some players. Generally OK for HS kids who have the attention span to really watch and learn from film sessions, fine. For MS kids - it's hard enough just to get them to watch relevant film at all. Money grab.

Sewer Rats results below to draw your own conclusions. Wonder if the young men involved had a great "experience".

2023/4 - 2 and 3 (6 out of 8)
2025 - 2 and 3 (10 out of 13)
2026 - 0 and 5 (17 out of 17)
2027 - 1 and 4 (12 out of 16)
2028 - 1 and 4 (13 out of 15)
2029 - 1 and 4 (10 out of 12)
2030 - 1 and 4 (7 out of 8)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Didn’t sound preachy to me. I believe he called it chicken bleep, which that is exactly what it is, chicken bleep

it sounded like the poster (and you) have a chip on your shoulder about your son's program not getting to play in NLF. trust me, it is not that big a deal and not worth getting upset about. I have two sons in different programs, one who plays NLF and one who doesn't, and it just doesn't matter. but if it is important to you, then just have your son join one of the many programs that does play. it is not limited to just those six.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sewer Rats results below to draw your own conclusions. Wonder if the young men involved had a great "experience".

2023/4 - 2 and 3 (6 out of 8)
2025 - 2 and 3 (10 out of 13)
2026 - 0 and 5 (17 out of 17)
2027 - 1 and 4 (12 out of 16)
2028 - 1 and 4 (13 out of 15)
2029 - 1 and 4 (10 out of 12)
2030 - 1 and 4 (7 out of 8)

The only group I really feel bad for are the 2026s. This is an "oh no, I'm on the wrong track" moment for these 9th graders.

For the 2023, 2024, and 2025 boys, they know what's up and so do their parents at this point. Hope they had a fun trip to FL.

For the younger groups (especially 2029 and 2030), whatever, it's a trip to FL.

But yeah I have to admit, could have done a cheaper and easier and probably more fun trip to FL without True and this event.

Hot take: if True really wanted to develop these players, have them come down to FL for a 2.5 day training camp to play each other. But they can't charge as much for that so......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First of all, you need understand, this is lacrosse. It’s a business first and a kids sport a distant second. It’s not fair, it’s all political and one huge money grab. It is what it is. However, if you choose to go this route, and you want to give your kid all of the tools and opportunities to take it as far as he possibly can, then the NLF is absolutely your best route to go. Absolutely not arguable. He will simply get opportunities that others will not get. I went this route with my son, and he’s committed to a premier D1 program and tier 1 institution. Did I mention it won’t be costing me a dime? Obviously I spent about 50k on travel lax over the years, but turned out to be money well spent. Had he not had the exposure from his NLF team, I have no doubt that it would have turned out differently. You have one shot at this. It will drive you nuts and empty your wallet in the process. But if you want what is truely the best opportunity for your son, I highly recommend that you go with a well known, well respected NLF brand. Good luck!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First of all, you need understand, this is lacrosse. It’s a business first and a kids sport a distant second. It’s not fair, it’s all political and one huge money grab. It is what it is. However, if you choose to go this route, and you want to give your kid all of the tools and opportunities to take it as far as he possibly can, then the NLF is absolutely your best route to go. Absolutely not arguable. He will simply get opportunities that others will not get. I went this route with my son, and he’s committed to a premier D1 program and tier 1 institution. Did I mention it won’t be costing me a dime? Obviously I spent about 50k on travel lax over the years, but turned out to be money well spent. Had he not had the exposure from his NLF team, I have no doubt that it would have turned out differently. You have one shot at this. It will drive you nuts and empty your wallet in the process. But if you want what is truely the best opportunity for your son, I highly recommend that you go with a well known, well respected NLF brand. Good luck!

Some of those non-NLF teams you speak of did have a chance years ago to get in on the ground floor when the NLF started and said no thanks which is why you don’t see them at these tournaments. They had their chance and said no thanks, can’t blame the NLF. They are being loyal to the teams that said Yes and joined.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I call troll on this one. You gave yourself away when you said that your son's premier D1 college program won't cost you a dime. Division 1 teams spread 12.6 scholarships among 30-40 players with each player getting somewhere between 10% and 50%. Unless your son is named Gait or Powell he is not getting 100%.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I call troll on this one. You gave yourself away when you said that your son's premier D1 college program won't cost you a dime. Division 1 teams spread 12.6 scholarships among 30-40 players with each player getting somewhere between 10% and 50%. Unless your son is named Gait or Powell he is not getting 100%.

If he's Catholic, a Catholic prep school product and a holdback, and potentially at a Catholic D1 program, he could be getting a mix of academic and faith based support as well. If he played club lax definitely not need based aid lol.

The upside to NLF is if your kid gets significant playing time at NLF events, he will get seen by the coaches of the most competitive programs. That upside applies to 12-15 kids per club roster. The other 15-25 kids on the roster, lol, thanks for the funds.

Rest assured that the premier D1 coaches at NLF events are not there to see Madlax's #8 midfielder and 91's #4 goalie and Crabs' #3 LSM.

Send your kid to clubs and events where he'll be on the field. Don't let your ego, including shiny helmets or the NLF brand or "nAtIoNaL tEaM X", get you by the wallet if it's not realistically going to benefit your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your comments represent the misconception in lacrosse. We all know there are 12.5 scholarships. However, there are a lot of very good D1 teams competing for top prospects. By top prospects, I’m referring to the top 150 players or so. If your kid is on a top team, he will automatically be on these teams radars. If he is a good player (not necessarily a great player) he will be a highly sought after recruit. There are more good D1 programs than ever before. An enormous amount of parody at the top. This means that there is more competition than ever for these players that have been pegged as top players in their class. These players have an enormous amount of leverage and power over these coaches that are recruiting them. They are in the drivers seat. Not the D1 coaches. My son was one of those kids. I have no doubt in my mind he was there because of the team that he played on. If he was on a less successful and less known team, he would not be in same position. My son got an 85% scholarship at a very prestigious school with a top lacrosse program. He will get between 10k and 20k in NIL money per year and will also get academic based incentives. Not only will everything be paid for, I expect to be in the black when college is over. Sounds impossible? It’s not. I know of several other kids who got similar deals and none of the are named Spallina, Gait or Thompson. That money is out there, and not just reserved for that one generational talent, due to the reasons mentioned above. That’s why what team your kid plays for is so extremely important. Obviously your kid has to be good. If you can objectively say that he might have what it takes, then do him and you a favor and get on the right team. Hugely important, as it insures premier exposure when the recruiting begins. It’s can literally be the difference between what we got and getting absolutely zero and going to some no name school. Yeah. It’s big.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your comments represent the misconception in lacrosse. We all know there are 12.5 scholarships. However, there are a lot of very good D1 teams competing for top prospects. By top prospects, I’m referring to the top 150 players or so. If your kid is on a top team, he will automatically be on these teams radars. If he is a good player (not necessarily a great player) he will be a highly sought after recruit. There are more good D1 programs than ever before. An enormous amount of parody at the top. This means that there is more competition than ever for these players that have been pegged as top players in their class. These players have an enormous amount of leverage and power over these coaches that are recruiting them. They are in the drivers seat. Not the D1 coaches. My son was one of those kids. I have no doubt in my mind he was there because of the team that he played on. If he was on a less successful and less known team, he would not be in same position. My son got an 85% scholarship at a very prestigious school with a top lacrosse program. He will get between 10k and 20k in NIL money per year and will also get academic based incentives. Not only will everything be paid for, I expect to be in the black when college is over. Sounds impossible? It’s not. I know of several other kids who got similar deals and none of the are named Spallina, Gait or Thompson. That money is out there, and not just reserved for that one generational talent, due to the reasons mentioned above. That’s why what team your kid plays for is so extremely important. Obviously your kid has to be good. If you can objectively say that he might have what it takes, then do him and you a favor and get on the right team. Hugely important, as it insures premier exposure when the recruiting begins. It’s can literally be the difference between what we got and getting absolutely zero and going to some no name school. Yeah. It’s big.

D2 (top 20 team) dad here. Received about 50% aid, mostly merit aid for athletes with serious academic prospects.

If you're not trolling these poor people, you are accidentally leaving out a key caveat that the last post mentioned. "Get your kid on the right team WHERE HE GETS SIGNIFICANT PLAYING TIME." Starting in middle school in MD, rosters hit 25, 30+ on club teams. Last summer, the Team 91MD 2028 team was rocking 30+ rostered kids plus guest players (recruited from Kelly Post and FCA). Let's make the safe assumption that the roster "doesn't shrink" as years go on. How many of those 34+ kids have prospects to be elite, fully funded D1 athletes - or even want that for themselves....once they learn what "being a D1 athlete" is really about?

If "team fit" and "playing time" aren't on your mind by the end of 8th grade, they need to be, this poster is correct about that. But getting them on an NLF team "to be seen" is assuming a lot of things from kids, 1/3 of whom haven't hit puberty and probably 2/3 of whom have never kissed a girl and 100% of whom don't know what it takes to be the kind of lax recruit to get a full/near full ride to a premier D1 school.........3.9+, AP classes, other extracurriculars, and lax workouts allllll year long. They've never even attended a high school class!

If your 8th grader is yapping "Yeah I'm playing at Princeton all the way, for free!" and doesn't pick up a stick for 3 days at a time in the winter, is rocking a basic 3.4 GPA, and hasn't been in an honors or AP class yet, yeah, now is the time to help enlighten him about what the next 3.5 years are going to look like.

And "NLF dad" posting above is kind of right about that, without saying it....the best way for the boys to find "comfort in discomfort" through this process is to surround themselves with other winners who are driven. And don't assume you have that locked in as a father - easily 1/3 of prep school boys and 1/2 of public school boys plan to bounce through HS with minimum effort possible. Who your kid associates with all day is as important as his club's NLF membership, or more so.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I neglected to mention that my son is a Long Island public school kid and not a holdback. On grade and 100% on age, as are all of the kids on his team that got similar deals. FYI there are very few holdbacks on LI since there are no prep schools on LI. I know that was going to be the first comment so wanted to get ahead of it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I call troll too. The tell is claiming that your family will be "in the black" after college. The other tell is that you claim to be a Long Island Dad whose son is committed to college, yet here you are reading and writing long posts on a 2027 mid-atlantic board. You are trying too hard and overplaying your hand. Nice try though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I call troll too. The tell is claiming that your family will be "in the black" after college. The other tell is that you claim to be a Long Island Dad whose son is committed to college, yet here you are reading and writing long posts on a 2027 mid-atlantic board. You are trying too hard and overplaying your hand. Nice try though.[/quote]

You all spend so much time trying to figure out who is writing the post that you miss the point. I was hoping people would respond more to whether boys need to be on an NLF team or not. Does it really make a difference in recruiting? I personally don't think it does but my son is just an 8th grader so I don't know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I call troll too. The tell is claiming that your family will be "in the black" after college. The other tell is that you claim to be a Long Island Dad whose son is committed to college, yet here you are reading and writing long posts on a 2027 mid-atlantic board. You are trying too hard and overplaying your hand. Nice try though.

You all spend so much time trying to figure out who is writing the post that you miss the point. I was hoping people would respond more to whether boys need to be on an NLF team or not. Does it really make a difference in recruiting? I personally don't think it does but my son is just an 8th grader so I don't know.[/quote]

Just look at commitments over the last few years, seems like a lot are coming from non-NLF teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thought the same thing when I read this…

Like Reply Quote
Page 57 of 72 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 71 72
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard