BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Boys 2031 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
laxer19 Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Discuss the 31’s here

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2031 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax CAP, NL Blue, and Annapolis Hawks are the clear top 3. Interested to see where BLC plays this spring, had a bunch of kids leave for NL and a few for ML.

VLC had two teams in HOCO last year, probably more a factor of the merger. ML DMV played VLC to some close games this fall.

True VA, St James, Top Caliber all seem to be on the new side. Not sure if Hammers have a 31 team yet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That top three is prob correct in order of ranking as well.
No way BLC will be in elite anymore, very few kids remained.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That top three is prob correct in order of ranking as well.
No way BLC will be in elite anymore, very few kids remained.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why did everyone leave BLC? Noticed this at other older age groups as well

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why did everyone leave BLC? Noticed this at other older age groups as well

This is an overall trend of non-profit elite clubs and rec select lax. With the franchised for-profit having stronger marketing it's difficult to compete. for profit elite clubs are also more willing to take on hold backs (91, Hawks, Madlax, True,...) that help them win to look better. The lack of a governing body in MD to make rec better also hurts.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or staffing teams with dad coaches that don’t know how to properly coach beyond rec and that favor their sons over better more athletic kids may also have had something to do with it

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All 3 coaches kids left, maybe the coaches got sick of dealing with insane parents who care more about bragging rights on the squash courts than actual player development. Luckily the 30 & 32 BLC teams are both very strong.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2030 BLC team is legit, son’s team has played them multiple times. I’m shocked their other years aren’t as successful…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow…sounds like a disgruntled parent and disgruntled coach responded to my query. How about an impartial witness?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Given this is such a young age… who are the kids on some of the smaller clubs that are players to watch? Kids who we will see making a jump up the big name clubs?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Given this is such a young age… who are the kids on some of the smaller clubs that are players to watch? Kids who we will see making a jump up the big name clubs?
Really? I hope you’re not serious. If you are, get a grip.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Madlax CAP, NL Blue, and Annapolis Hawks are the clear top 3. Interested to see where BLC plays this spring, had a bunch of kids leave for NL and a few for ML.

VLC had two teams in HOCO last year, probably more a factor of the merger. ML DMV played VLC to some close games this fall.

True VA, St James, Top Caliber all seem to be on the new side. Not sure if Hammers have a 31 team yet.
Clear top 3? Wolfpack smoked NL and beat Hawks handily in semis. NL got better as did ML with the BLC kids. Why does the team with kids from 3 elementary schools get no respect?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or staffing teams with dad coaches that don’t know how to properly coach beyond rec and that favor their sons over better more athletic kids may also have had something to do with it
The BLC coach’s son was the goalie. He was good, too. Think it’s mostly insane parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wolfpack is deserving of being in the top group, not sure a 2 goal win would be considered “handily” but they are a big, athletic, and well coached team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wolfpack is deserving of being in the top group, not sure a 2 goal win would be considered “handily” but they are a big, athletic, and well coached team.
And all on-age, unlike Hawks and ML

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I accidentally clicked on the 2031 thread looking for HS commits gossip......you infants are talking about 2031 holdbacks?!??!?! Ahahhahahaha.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And all on-age, unlike Hawks and ML

What kids (jersey #'s) are hold backs on Hawks and ML? Or is this just an assumption based on the older teams in these programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Blake from Hawks and Brendan from ML were both 10 last spring.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ML kid referenced is on age, your information is incorrect.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Names, really? Let’s keep this appropriate

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are we seriously calling our kids names when they are 31’s?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now is the time for most to start being or looking to get on a top club. Dont listen to naysayers. Now is the time to start training for MIAA HS and beyond.

Get some extra training too. and NOW . Think about holding back if you arent already a prefirst or heldback . Dont listen to negative comments about holding back. Boys born after Jan and on age should be seriously considered for this if you are thinking D1. You have very little chance play as starter on top club and get recruited to D1 without holding back.

You will thank me later for this sage advice.

Everyone knows I am right. Give me facts, not emotion if you think differently. Time is a wastin

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Now is the time for most to start being or looking to get on a top club. Dont listen to naysayers. Now is the time to start training for MIAA HS and beyond.

Get some extra training too. and NOW . Think about holding back if you arent already a prefirst or heldback . Dont listen to negative comments about holding back. Boys born after Jan and on age should be seriously considered for this if you are thinking D1. You have very little chance play as starter on top club and get recruited to D1 without holding back.

Everyone knows I am right. Give me facts, not emotion if you think differently. Time is a wastin

If you think this way, your son's sports experience is about you not him.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ML kid referenced is on age, your information is incorrect.
ML kid told my kid he was 10 last year. Is this a “pre-first is normal” on age argument or was he lying last year?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you think this way, your son's sports experience is about you not him.

Isn't that the reason parents play their older kids down against younger kids?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who makes up the AAA or whatever the highest level of HOCO this spring?
The following are locks:
Wolfpack
Crabs
Hawks
Madlax
Next Level

Possible:
BLC
Zingos
LTLC
VLC
Kelly Post

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actual advice:
1) Get your son on the best club team, he can make, where he will actually see reps, ASAP.
2) Get extra training and make sure it's not lame. At this age it should be about form, basic IQ, and footwork, agility, and speed. That's it.
3) Don't yell at him when he is playing. Even if you played, he will probably be better than you ever were. Your yelling makes him detest the game.

Truth bombs:
1) Getting your son on an elite team will not keep him on that elite team when it matters in HS.
2) The lies about "We don't cut existing players" and "We develop players here" are just that - outright lies. Your 2031 elite team is just a money maker, and the players are just placeholders until a double holdback from TX, CA, or FL magically shows up at a tournament.
3) Yes, statistically speaking, if you think your son is going to start on an elite club HS team or elite HS team, he will need to be held back. Ask a parent of a 2028 or 2027 about that this year. They'll tell you what they are seeing.
4) Half of athletes quit sports by age 12, and another half quit by age 15. Conduct your "angry drive home after the game" talks accordingly. Current 8th graders who played for FCA, 91, Hawks, etc in 4th grade have quit the sport entirely already.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actual advice:
1) Get your son on the best club team, he can make, where he will actually see reps, ASAP.
2) Get extra training and make sure it's not lame. At this age it should be about form, basic IQ, and footwork, agility, and speed. That's it.
3) Don't yell at him when he is playing. Even if you played, he will probably be better than you ever were. Your yelling makes him detest the game.

Truth bombs:
1) Getting your son on an elite team will not keep him on that elite team when it matters in HS.
2) The lies about "We don't cut existing players" and "We develop players here" are just that - outright lies. Your 2031 elite team is just a money maker, and the players are just placeholders until a double holdback from TX, CA, or FL magically shows up at a tournament.
3) Yes, statistically speaking, if you think your son is going to start on an elite club HS team or elite HS team, he will need to be held back. Ask a parent of a 2028 or 2027 about that this year. They'll tell you what they are seeing.
4) Half of athletes quit sports by age 12, and another half quit by age 15. Conduct your "angry drive home after the game" talks accordingly. Current 8th graders who played for FCA, 91, Hawks, etc in 4th grade have quit the sport entirely already.

Same useless opinion guy as above with clarification, I think the number is 55% of kids quit sports by 12 and of the remaining 45%, more than half quit sports by the end of 9th grade. It's from Pew? Foundation's "The State of Youth Sports" report from circa 2019

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actual advice:

Truth bombs:

How do you square "Actual advice #1" with Truth Bomb #2? They seem to run counter to each other. For player development at this age, I would focus on a club or rec team that has coaches who actually teach the game the right way. There is a reason beyond holdbacks and reclass that Long Island and Baltimore continue to pump out high IQ players. They are taught the correct way to play early on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actual advice:

Truth bombs:

How do you square "Actual advice #1" with Truth Bomb #2? They seem to run counter to each other. For player development at this age, I would focus on a club or rec team that has coaches who actually teach the game the right way. There is a reason beyond holdbacks and reclass that Long Island and Baltimore continue to pump out high IQ players. They are taught the correct way to play early on.

My son is a 10th grader who almost quit the sport in 8th grade and the most important thing I’ve learned from it all is that the yelling from the sideline and negative focus and criticism will burn a kid out. He told me in 8th grade to quit that [Censored] and I did and it gave him a whole new outlook on the sport. He plays for the fun of it now and not to please me. I would encourage all of you to learn from my mistakes. Shut up during games. Only say positive things after games and make sure he us having fun. You think you are helping him but it almost always will have the opposite effect.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 10th grader who almost quit the sport in 8th grade and the most important thing I’ve learned from it all is that the yelling from the sideline and negative focus and criticism will burn a kid out. He told me in 8th grade to quit that [Censored] and I did and it gave him a whole new outlook on the sport. He plays for the fun of it now and not to please me. I would encourage all of you to learn from my mistakes. Shut up during games. Only say positive things after games and make sure he us having fun. You think you are helping him but it almost always will have the opposite effect.[/quote]

This is a truth bomb. Thanks you for sharing and good for you.

Last edited by Team BOTC; . Reason: Omitted words as it goes against our community forum standards.
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 10th grader who almost quit the sport in 8th grade and the most important thing I’ve learned from it all is that the yelling from the sideline and negative focus and criticism will burn a kid out. He told me in 8th grade to quit that [Censored] and I did and it gave him a whole new outlook on the sport. He plays for the fun of it now and not to please me. I would encourage all of you to learn from my mistakes. Shut up during games. Only say positive things after games and make sure he us having fun. You think you are helping him but it almost always will have the opposite effect.

This is a truth bomb. Thanks you for sharing and good for you.[/quote]

Anytime. One thing I forgot to mention. I used to sign him up for this clinic and that camp assuming he was into it. Finally in 8th grade he was like dad do I have to go to these? This was one reason why he got burnt out. Now he gets to say no to anything he wants to and he is much happier.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Poll: most obnoxious parents in Hoco 31s?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NL, Crabs a close second.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NL, Crabs a close second.
Didn’t really notice the NL parents much except for visor-dad-who-walks-up-and-down-sideline-with-lax-stick guy. ML has multiple parents who walk from end to end, helicoptering their kids to the success they feel they’re entitled to.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ML has one awful dad, negative to his kid mostly, but shares the negativity with other kids as well.

Seems like all teams have Offense and Defense parents who switch ends.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of parents switch sides; maybe stop drinking and enjoy watching your boy up close? It’s def worth it…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actual advice:

Truth bombs:

Use from Both and your chances are better than most. Obviously he must have some ability too. No matter what ability, Hold him back.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of parents switch sides; maybe stop drinking and enjoy watching your boy up close? It’s def worth it…
Yeah like the BLC parents from last year who thought their kid didn’t play enough so they could be one of the 25 kids on ML or NL. 200 IQ move.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard