True Blue's JC 17 Shootout For Soldiers Charity Tournament Now Open for Registration! | The CBLaxers.com Elite 88 Showcase & The Igloo Elite 80 Showcase Camp Are Now Open for Registration - Limited Spots!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,280
Posts349,727
Members2,507
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Boys 2025
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Anyone with older kid have a ranking of the best showcases to attend?

1. Maverik Showtime (invite only, most coaches)
2. Juniors Open (almost as good if not better than Showtime - giving deference to Showtime because it is tried and true)
3. Mainstage - close behind. Just as many coaches but a lot of the top players dropped out this year because it is in July.
4. One percent - NLF heavy but they give you a write up and there were many coaches.
5. NXT showcases - a little watered down in talent but lots of coaches and well run.
6. If your son is high academic, I would suggest he do a Lacrosse Masters camp or the NXT high academic showcase.

Agree with most the above. Really depends on skill level too. For the most part #1-3 above are for higher end players and have a very selective application process (not open to the general public, you need to be invited to apply, and also requires a coach referral). Not everyone gets into these three events. I would add Best In Class between Mainstage and 1%. 1% are held several times/ year at different locations. Whatever showcase you decide to attend, make sure it's not during a blackout period for college recruiting. Sounds like common sense but it happens.
I stand corrected. Forgot about Best in class. Probably the most drills/instruction of them all. Another thing I wish I did for my sons was get them to more prospect days at schools you know they are interested in. It is a great way to meet the staff, see the campus and play in front of them.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am going to create a "Best in Class" show case for holdbacks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cool - lots of D1, top 20 talent to watch!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Could you imagine that sideline of parents and the ball hogging on the field?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Could you imagine that sideline of parents and the ball hogging on the field?

Usually the re-class parents are sitting smugly in their seats watching their son play with high IQ and balling out.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son doesn't care about those parents when he is the coolest kid in 8th grade pulling up in his Camaro blasting Billy Squire.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
funny!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 2025 but he could have been a 2024 if we didn't re-class him. Can college coaches contact him now since he is older?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son is a 2025 but he could have been a 2024 if we didn't re-class him. Can college coaches contact him now since he is older?

No, it’s not age based, it’s grade. Your son gets an extra year to develop and promote. Exactly why many re-class.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, it’s not age based, it’s grade. Your son gets an extra year to develop and promote. Exactly why many re-class.

This is exactly why I held back my son 2 years (he is a year and a half older). He is way more developed than the other kids and the coaches think he is the same age. He is destroying the competition in 8th grade.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is exactly why I held back my son 2 years (he is a year and a half older). He is way more developed than the other kids and the coaches think he is the same age. He is destroying the competition in 8th grade.

Congratulations! Your 15 years old is playing against and destroying 13 year Olds. 😂🤣😂

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This question has to be a joke.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sound jealous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sound jealous.

It’s more annoyed! Annoyed that this sport allows all this reclass nonsense in the youth years! It’s ruining the sport. Also making it even more elitist! Pathetic.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sound jealous.

It’s more annoyed! Annoyed that this sport allows all this reclass nonsense in the youth years! It’s ruining the sport. Also making it even more elitist! Pathetic.

Soccer on the club level did it right. If you are born in 2007.....you play with all kids born in 2007. Keep it simple and fair. Not sure why anyone is against that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just an idea, but is there anyway "re-class" players could wear a bright red "R" on their jerseys during games?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sound jealous.

Soccer on the club level did it right. If you are born in 2007.....you play with all kids born in 2007. Keep it simple and fair. Not sure why anyone is against that.

Not sure!!??? Maybe the people making the rules have re-class kids themselves? It’s not good for the sport!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You have the opportunity to hold your kid back. I held my son back 2 years and it is paying off.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"His kid plays with a blue collar mentality"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You have the opportunity to hold your kid back. I held my son back 2 years and it is paying off.

This is like bragging that your eighth grader is acing the sixth grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sound jealous.

Not sure!!??? Maybe the people making the rules have re-class kids themselves? It’s not good for the sport!
Is it fair though, the kids born in the first part of the year (Jan) have an advantage over the kids born in the back half of the year (Dec.)
Im sure as soon as the rules changed you would be complaining that your kid was playing against a Januarier,.... the new hold backs. Maybe your kid should only play kids born the same day as her.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You sound jealous.

Is it fair though, the kids born in the first part of the year (Jan) have an advantage over the kids born in the back half of the year (Dec.)
Im sure as soon as the rules changed you would be complaining that your kid was playing against a Januarier,.... the new hold backs. Maybe your kid should only play kids born the same day as her.

Nice try! Rationalize away.., you know it’s wrong what is going g in! We are talking 2 years in some cases. Pathetic

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only thing that is pathetic is my "re-class" son dominated the 8th grade competition and my prediction is he makes varsity his freshman year. He knows a lot of the juniors since he went to grade school with them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Having a child one year older than everyone (sometimes closer to two) else is not a physical advantage? How many studies have clearly shown this is a HUGE advantage. The book Freakononimics actually put the data points together that show what a huge advantage this is for the older child. Even a few months makes a difference,

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous] It’s not good for the sport!

As a non holdback parents, I'll take my kid being the youngest in a tourney as long as its not more than a year. The issue we have is we have kids 15, 18, 22 months older than the youngest kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid was a holdback and they forced him to play up in a REC league. He was in 6th grade but had to play with 8th graders because he was should actually be in 7th grade (7th and 8th grade REC team). This was unfair.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid was a holdback and they forced him to play up in a REC league. He was in 6th grade but had to play with 8th graders because he was should actually be in 7th grade (7th and 8th grade REC team). This was unfair.

Now you know that the parents of on age kids feel like playing against your little holdback.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Now you know that the parents of on age kids feel like playing against your little holdback.

Those other parents have a choice if they want to play with my son. I held him back so he would be the biggest. This was a sacrifice we made. How can they do this to us? I am thinking about legal action at this point.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just play your age in youth lax. End of discussion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Those other parents have a choice if they want to play with my son. I held him back so he would be the biggest. This was a sacrifice we made. How can they do this to us? I am thinking about legal action at this point.

That’s funny! Should the on age kids parents sue because league allows older kids to play down! That’s even worse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know you are kidding about on age parents suing leagues/clubs but would there be some validity? Think about it, a club/league knowingly put an older (potentially older, more mature physically) player in a contact sport that could injure a younger player by virtue of his physical maturity. Wrestlers go by weight and so does many youth football teams. This is done to protect the child. Lacrosse is a contact sport and they are blatantly scoffing at this clear and present danger.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know you are kidding about on age parents suing leagues/clubs but would there be some validity? Think about it, a club/league knowingly put an older (potentially older, more mature physically) player in a contact sport that could injure a younger player by virtue of his physical maturity. Wrestlers go by weight and so does many youth football teams. This is done to protect the child. Lacrosse is a contact sport and they are blatantly scoffing at this clear and present danger.
Posts like this make it impossible for me to defend the sport of lacrosse to my friends who always say it’s a sport for “wussies”. Every football league my son has played in has been 9-10, 11-12etc… Are you trying to say lacrosse has more of an opportunity for physical injury than football. Give me a break

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Posts like this make it impossible for me to defend the sport of lacrosse to my friends who always say it’s a sport for “wussies”. Every football league my son has played in has been 9-10, 11-12etc… Are you trying to say lacrosse has more of an opportunity for physical injury than football. Give me a break

Well said. Thank you for the sanity check.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This forum is for 2025 so when your son whose a sophomore tries out for his high school lacrosse team this year do you tell your Varsity coach that your son competing against seniors means your Varsity coach is “scoffing at this clear & present danger”?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You sign up your child with the expectation that he will be playing a very specific age group. How would you feel if a child was 14 years old in the 11-12 age group? You don't see why that would give him an advantage? I think most people are in favor of kids playing a defined age group. It has nothing to do with being a "wussie", it is about children playing the sport safely.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You sign up your child with the expectation that he will be playing a very specific age group. How would you feel if a child was 14 years old in the 11-12 age group? You don't see why that would give him an advantage? I think most people are in favor of kids playing a defined age group. It has nothing to do with being a "wussie", it is about children playing the sport safely.

As the previous post stated this forum is for 2025 age group. So do you tell your son whose a sophomore in High School that he cannot compete at the Varsity level because its not safe?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This forum is for 2025 so when your son whose a sophomore tries out for his high school lacrosse team this year do you tell your Varsity coach that your son competing against seniors means your Varsity coach is “scoffing at this clear & present danger”?

Even high school has freshman, JV , and Varsity teams that dictate skill level. I think everyone agreed that it should be aged based through 8th grade....with the option for your son to play up if he was talented enough. Every study has shown the advantage an older child has between 5th and 8th grade as boys mature differently. Doesn't it make more sense for the best players to "play up" instead of "playing down"?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Even high school has freshman, JV , and Varsity teams that dictate skill level. I think everyone agreed that it should be aged based through 8th grade....with the option for your son to play up if he was talented enough. Every study has shown the advantage an older child has between 5th and 8th grade as boys mature differently. Doesn't it make more sense for the best players to "play up" instead of "playing down"?

YES! Well said. Have your son play up and not down. Rules NEED to be changed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wait a minute, you guys changed the argument. Of course there’s an advantage if a kid is a year older. But that guy was talking about threatening legal action because of a “clear and present danger” from a physical standpoint which is a joke. This is a 25 forum. We’re talking high school with an age range of maybe 4 years. At this point it’s time to grow up and put your big boy pants on

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wait a minute, you guys changed the argument. Of course there’s an advantage if a kid is a year older. But that guy was talking about threatening legal action because of a “clear and present danger” from a physical standpoint which is a joke. This is a 25 forum. We’re talking high school with an age range of maybe 4 years. At this point it’s time to grow up and put your big boy pants on

Yes, but high school makes it clear that you will be playing with kids between the ages of 14-18 and typically offers alternatives skill levels of play (freshman, JV, Varsity). Club lacrosse rules are open ended and there can be a huge disparity in age with the assumption that you are playing with boys your same age. The "attractive nuisance" doctrine could be broadly applied in this case. I'm not sure the judge will appreciate your "put on your big boy pants" argument. Kids who are born on the same day and year can have up to 2 years difference in physical maturity when it comes to puberty. Now add to the fact you are putting your kid in that group and he is 18 months older than that child. Your kid can physically be 3.5 years physically more mature than the other kids. The only people fighting the rule change are the "holdback" parents.

Like Reply Quote
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard