BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 236 of 313 1 2 234 235 236 237 238 312 313
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Takeaways from BOTC MD HS thread in 2022.

MSJ: If only they could get the laxers from West side and Howard County, they would rule the world. For now, its a great school if you play a revenue sport.

Look at the roster. They are getting the HoCo kids. They all play for Zingos. Explains their current level of success.

Ouch ! Zingos and Breakers , thats a low Blow.

And still only 2 points worse than St. Marys.

It’s worse then that the coach is now talking to the HOCO club coach for 2026. That team was terrible in HOCO league and couldn’t win a game. I have been informed by many HOCO club parents they have been informed they won’t get cut. As a father of an alumnus I am concerned we are going two steps back and the coach is not a good evaluator of talent. My grandson witnessed this first hand at MSJ the coach is focused on low level players. He needs to focus on true athletes speed, agility, IQ, fundamentals not the HOCO 2026 team

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure. Happy now that LB football has been built back up. The past is over. Money was raised and recruiting is paying off. Lax is looking good now as well. Have you seen the new fields? We'll be eating the Saints ' lunch in lax within 2 years and you wouldn't touch us in FB if you move up to A.
Congrats, you are excited that you might be able to beat St Mary's in 2 years?

Loyola is a fine academic school. But their athletics have been struggling and they got a new AD to look at all the programs for a reason.

We have good friends whose kids go to loyola. They aren't ready to burn it down like some here. No gross negligence. But the reports are simply that the team operates in silos among classes/groups and the communication isnt great. That in turn boils over to make substitutions "highly watched" and a lousy environment in the stands on game days.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, my boys go to Loyola (as did I) and I was part of the AD search last year...athletics are hardly "struggling". Lacrosse had a very rare playoffs miss and football had been down but is now back and poised to do very well going forward (ranked #5 in Sun right now). Every other sport was very competitive last with several MIAA champions. You should probably get your facts straight (Google much?) before posting uninformed opinions, fool.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure. Happy now that LB football has been built back up. The past is over. Money was raised and recruiting is paying off. Lax is looking good now as well. Have you seen the new fields? We'll be eating the Saints ' lunch in lax within 2 years and you wouldn't touch us in FB if you move up to A.
Congrats, you are excited that you might be able to beat St Mary's in 2 years?

Loyola is a fine academic school. But their athletics have been struggling and they got a new AD to look at all the programs for a reason.

We have good friends whose kids go to loyola. They aren't ready to burn it down like some here. No gross negligence. But the reports are simply that the team operates in silos among classes/groups and the communication isnt great. That in turn boils over to make substitutions "highly watched" and a lousy environment in the stands on game days.

I would call the game day environment "disappointing/meh+ 1 extreme screamer" over "lousy" but otherwise, yes. Very accurate. Some parents are still raw from Coach Rubeor's departure. The majority of parents want the best for (and from) Coach U and I hope the new AD is giving him whatever resources he needs. I would expect that his future status depends on the recruit class of 2027s, and the results of the first few MIAA games next season (otherwise the silent "nationwide search" will begin).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MCD's male enrollment is not substantial. Neither is JC's. So them being among the top in many of major sports is impressive. They both seem to get a lot of bang for their buck.
StP used to have a lot of 2-way athletes, but that has fallen off greatly in the past decade or so.
Loyola and CH simply have too many kids to allow a ton of multiple sport athletes. If you go to those schools they ask kids to "focus" on one sport. It saves a roster spot and gives more kids in the school a chance to participate in a sport. I am not a fan of that, but I totally understand why they do it. Good to have more kids involved, I guess.

700 boys on campus = "male enrollment not substantial." Yeah OK.

McD has about 300 or less boys in the upper school - you're looking at numbers for K-12

It's not like some schools have 10,000 kids and others have 7. All of the "major" varsity coaches have jobs on the line and if they have to split a kid's time who is a serious contributor, they will and often do.......up to a point.

Looking at these numbers, I think it's actually impressive that the smaller schools are often dominant, it means that if you have 300 upper school boys, and you're MIAA-A, roughly 1/3 of the student body plays lax for the school (at some level). If you are a fan of the sport, that is just really cool. And I think these numbers point out that if you are CHC, LB, or Spalding, there is absolutely no reason for you to be finishing last in any MIAA sport. Ever.

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Loyola has 650-750 in the upper school, as high as 775 in 2021 I believe.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
John Carroll has 350 (boys).
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
St. Mary's has 250, sometimes fewer.
McD had 330 in 2021.

McD is not on some island of "Oh my gosh, how do they do it with so little!" But again, shame on the bigger schools for getting beat by these squads relatively frequently. LB's record this year definitely stands out.

You have this totally wrong. Starting with BL-the school only participates in a few A conference sports. There are several sports that they don't even field a team for and the rest of the sports they play in B conference.. They pick & choose, while the larger student bodies you mention(CHC, LB, Spalding & you forgot MSJ all play A) So the school is really all about lax as we know. Kids are bought lock stock & barrel-most of roster never sees the field however. McD, John Carroll(Football is B) & Gilman all play A conference sports. StM, StP & Severn are the carpet baggers that that are allowed to play A lax and B in everything else. So when you come on here and say the larger schools should never finish last, lets put all of these schools that are in A lax in the A conference for ALL sports and see who finishes last. Because you have more students, not mean all play sports. Furthermore, those school are trying to compete in A in just about every sport offered-filling many teams. Some smaller schools are sports academies with a school next door....
Loyola plays B conference football. Loyola lost to St. Mary's in football last year. Loyola beat A conference champ Calvert Hall in football last year. None of this has anything to do with lacrosse. Next you'll be talking about which robotics team competes in the top competitions or who has the best It's Academic squad. This is a lacrosse board and your retort to the bigger schools should be better at lacrosse is to say that the smaller schools should be better at all other sports? Strange.

FYI,
LB is playing in the A conference for the 2022 season. I think the comment about smaller schools having success in lax requires a conversation about MIAA sports in general and why that occurs vs. all sports played and the level they are played at. There is a reasons behind success or lack of that should be explored when a comment is made about big school vs. small. There is more to it.

Loyola (1200 boys, A conference FB aspirations) lost to StM (250 boys, solidly B conference for FB) two of the last three years. Draw your own conclusions from that but it is a legit datapoint.

Except that Loyola's 900-950 boys (not 1200) cover 6th-12th grade. So much for legit data points.

Ok, let’s try it again…

Loyola (750 boys, A conference FB aspirations) lost to StM (250 boys, solidly B conference for FB) two of the last three years. Draw your own conclusions from that but it is a legit datapoint.

Happy now, Don Nation?

I think nobody at LB is happy with that, which is why there's a new athletic director and likely soon a new coach.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]Takeaways from BOTC MD HS thread in 2022.

MSJ: If only they could get the laxers from West side and Howard County, they would rule the world. For now, its a great school if you play a revenue sport.

Look at the roster. They are getting the HoCo kids. They all play for Zingos. Explains their current level of success.

Ouch ! Zingos and Breakers , thats a low Blow.

And still only 2 points worse than St. Marys.

It’s worse then that the coach is now talking to the HOCO club coach for 2026. That team was terrible in HOCO league and couldn’t win a game. I have been informed by many HOCO club parents they have been informed they won’t get cut. As a father of an alumnus I am concerned we are going two steps back and the coach is not a good evaluator of talent. My grandson witnessed this first hand at MSJ the coach is focused on low level players. He needs to focus on true athletes speed, agility, IQ, fundamentals not the HOCO 2026 team
They are three teams, of course no one is going to get cut. The 2026 HoCo players will not make varsity. If the parents are saying coach told them they would not be cut from varsity, then they are lying. No coach in his right mind would make that promise.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, my boys go to Loyola (as did I) and I was part of the AD search last year...athletics are hardly "struggling". Lacrosse had a very rare playoffs miss and football had been down but is now back and poised to do very well going forward (ranked #5 in Sun right now). Every other sport was very competitive last with several MIAA champions. You should probably get your facts straight (Google much?) before posting uninformed opinions, fool.

Didn't do yourself, your boys, or Loyola any credit by calling the poster a fool/fool. Apparently "Men for Others" doesn't apply to all Loyola grads or maybe that wasn't the theme for your generation. Not encouraging that you were part of the AD search either.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Didn't do yourself, your boys, or Loyola any credit by calling the poster a fool/fool. Apparently "Men for Others" doesn't apply to all Loyola grads or maybe that wasn't the theme for your generation. Not encouraging that you were part of the AD search either.
☝🏻

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many times has LB made the finals or semis since their Cinderella championship in 2013? Its been tough sledding for the 80s and 90s alums who are present day parents as they were in the championship game almost every year for a decade. I found a Don showing in the 2016 playoffs where they go got shellacked by 10 in the semis.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 27s are not looking good for LB.

No Looneys team.
Crabs kids all headed to BL
FCA kids to CH and StP
91 kids to everywhere but Loyola.
Hawks to STM and AS.
Heck even the Predators are headed to everywhere but LB
LB getting some True and Breakers kids hopefully.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola football will be a bottom of the league team but occasionally have a good year where all the “Men for Others” stand up and beat their chest that they’re back. Loyola hasn’t had a football program since the 70’s.Snd, there’s no excuse got their lacrosse program to be in such disarray. Fire the coach and find a Loyola alum that’s currently coaching somewhere else to come “ home” to right the shop. Are there any alum coaching ??

No Looneys team.
FCA kids to CH and StP
Hawks to STM and AS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Loyola hasn’t had a football program since the 70’s.[quote=Anonymous]

Wut? Loyola was the MIAA-A Football Champion in 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007 & 2008

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm shocked but many of the LB lacrosse faithful posting on this forum sound like the Gilman parents, who have been clamoring for what seems like decades for "the turnaround" that's "around the corner".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola football will be a bottom of the league team but occasionally have a good year where all the “Men for Others” stand up and beat their chest that they’re back. Loyola hasn’t had a football program since the 70’s.Snd, there’s no excuse got their lacrosse program to be in such disarray. Fire the coach and find a Loyola alum that’s currently coaching somewhere else to come “ home” to right the shop. Are there any alum coaching ??

No Looneys team.
FCA kids to CH and StP
Hawks to STM and AS.

Rubeor is at Thayer Academy. Oh wait...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola had 3 five star defenseman on the team. 2 where seniors and still did not make the playoffs.
So either Inside lacrosse rating of recruits is way off or they are just a team with bad coaching you decide.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loyola had 3 five star defenseman on the team. 2 where seniors and still did not make the playoffs.
So either Inside lacrosse rating of recruits is way off or they are just a team with bad coaching you decide.

Tough call on which it is.

Remember in 21, they had something like 22 senior D1 prospects on the team.

But they couldn't win a game that mattered. They lost to a team in the first round of the playoffs they handled in the regular season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

But they couldn't win a game that mattered. They lost to a team in the first round of the playoffs they handled in the regular season.

Start a Loyola forum, this getting ridiculous. Stop complaining or leave.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Consensus is Loyola has been outcoached in recent years. The real question for the lacrosse program is if they will join CHC, MCD and BL to recruit players outside of MD and board them. And, now the MIAA is seeing the hired guns - recruiting elite players for a year (MCD).. I personally don't see Loyola or Gilman following this path so their lacrosse teams will lag behind the big 3.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Consensus is Loyola has been outcoached in recent years. The real question for the lacrosse program is if they will join CHC, MCD and BL to recruit players outside of MD and board them. And, now the MIAA is seeing the hired guns - recruiting elite players for a year (MCD).. I personally don't see Loyola or Gilman following this path so their lacrosse teams will lag behind the big 3.

BL, McD & CHC should form their own league.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Will they let St John's join?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably should add St Mary’s to that list

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This has nothing to do with the one off out of market recruit other schools get. Neither Loyola or Gilman have done well recruiting the right local scholar athletes. Both lacrosse programs have been resting on their laurels and frankly their administrations don't care.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Probably should add St Mary’s to that list

If Dark Horses are allowed, ask Spalding too.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With no club affiliation, how exactly would loyola recruit middle school club players? Do coaches hang out at NAL and hand out business cards to 7th graders?

My son is a 2031 so I’m years away but curious as to how it works.

The Crabs/Hawks/FCA shuttle to the respective schools seems much clearer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many times has LB made the finals or semis since their Cinderella championship in 2013? Its been tough sledding for the 80s and 90s alums who are present day parents as they were in the championship game almost every year for a decade. I found a Don showing in the 2016 playoffs where they go got shellacked by 10 in the semis.

Dons made the semis in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019. 2020 was covid, 2021 they fell apart in 2nd half against BL, 2022 was terrible

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only if they have dorms or bedrooms in basements for their players. This league will be elite & exclusive!!! We're talking serious rent-a-player mentality.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only if they have dorms or bedrooms in basements for their players. This league will be elite & exclusive!!! We're talking serious rent-a-player mentality.
Quote of the day!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your son has plans to play lacrosse at a higher level than D3 you should leave Loyola. Not many good players coming out of Loyola in recent years. It doesn’t look like it’s getting any better so my advice would be to find a school that at least has a good coach and some meaningful wins. St. Paul’s is looking pretty good!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your son has plans to play lacrosse at a higher level than D3 you should leave Loyola. Not many good players coming out of Loyola in recent years. It doesn’t look like it’s getting any better so my advice would be to find a school that at least has a good coach and some meaningful wins. St. Paul’s is looking pretty good!
St. Paul's was 1 win better in league play than Loyola and lost to the Dons head to head by 4 goals.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

St. Paul's was 1 win better in league play than Loyola and lost to the Dons head to head by 4 goals.

JC beat CH last year! We all know CH is the better school with better coaching. Same thing with Loyola and St. Paul’s. Send your kid to St. Paul’s! Better education and coaching! More kids going to solid D1 schools!

Last edited by 1026ME; .
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Send your kid to St. Paul’s! Better education and coaching!

Better education? I'd say Loyola is a better school academically & I don't have any dog in the fight.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one takes St Paul’s OR Loyola seriously.

The same song of “we are almost there” for years.

Yawn

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JC beat CH last year! We all know CH is the better school with better coaching. Same thing with Loyola and St. Paul’s. Send your kid to St. Paul’s! Better education and coaching! More kids going to solid D1 schools!

The jury is out on the coaching at LB. They have repeatedly done less with more the past 2 years if IL and those college coaches were right with their assessments. Looks like a possible trend.
They have good coaching at JC. They do more with less and develop their kids. But smaller numbers hurt them. They will remain an underdog until they get bigger classes.
They have good coaching at CH. But they often do less because they have more kids and struggle with developing game ready depth. The attackman and goalie injuries the past 2 years really exposed those issues. They are minor issues. But I expect BK to iron those things out.
The jury is still out on StP coaching, but the arrow really seems to be pointed up. Especially compared to the stagnant past few years. They are loaded in the underclass and have a couple exciting pieces at midfield that should make a big impact in the league next year. Not sure there are any LSMs that will be able to hang with them. They will be a force to be reckoned with over the next 2 years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one takes St Paul’s OR Loyola seriously.

The same song of “we are almost there” for years.

Yawn
Isn’t that the name of the club Spalding started?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They already have "safe spots" for ladies like you. No need for more fear

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Such hostility over the bottom teams. Why do you care so much?

Because they feed on the bottom. That is where they should stay until they can compete with the big fish. Best League in Country doesnt need bottom dwellers. Enough Said.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Checking in on the status of the Loyola A Conference Football Rebuild. Bet you guys can’t wait to get through the early season B conference opponents and start playing some schools closer in size and ambition to your own.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is there record?

Like Reply Quote
A