BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,504
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 235 of 323 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 322 323
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I realize this is a lacrosse forum but it is certainly fun to watch the elite MIAA athletes later play in the NFL, NBA and MLB. The football and basketball programs of the MIAA are sending their athletes to better schools than lacrosse. MIAA lacrosse is no longer what it used to be because lacrosse has become less regional and more national.
Thank you.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous1787
Programs with smaller male enrollments (Severn, BL, SP, SM and McD) are forced to recruit multi sport lacrosse players to field teams in other sports The best A Conference lacrosse teams have historically been filled with 2 and occasionally 3 sport athletes. What complicates the matter is not all of the teams complete at the same level in other sports (some B and others A). Traditionally a large majority of your fogos, poles and middies were multi sport athletes with the occasional attackman and keeper thrown in.... If you break out the two teams (two schools with smaller male enrollment numbers) in the A Conference Finals this past season, you will see this distribution pattern holds true.

Agreed. Now lets not hold them back by playing B in the sports other than lax. The schools that you mentioned are basically holding them back by playing them in B conference in sports other than lax. Everyone has hit the wall, done the dishes and taken out [Censored].

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
McD always competes at a high level. Lacrosse, Football, wrestling, they are always in the top, JC is competing in the other sports as well.

Last edited by Team BOTC; . Reason: Omitted words as it goes against our community standards
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of kids play three sports at the smaller MIAA schools…. Gilman, StP, etc

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MCD's male enrollment is not substantial. Neither is JC's. So them being among the top in many of major sports is impressive. They both seem to get a lot of bang for their buck.
StP used to have a lot of 2-way athletes, but that has fallen off greatly in the past decade or so.
Loyola and CH simply have too many kids to allow a ton of multiple sport athletes. If you go to those schools they ask kids to "focus" on one sport. It saves a roster spot and gives more kids in the school a chance to participate in a sport. I am not a fan of that, but I totally understand why they do it. Good to have more kids involved, I guess.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MCD's male enrollment is not substantial. Neither is JC's. So them being among the top in many of major sports is impressive. They both seem to get a lot of bang for their buck.
StP used to have a lot of 2-way athletes, but that has fallen off greatly in the past decade or so.
Loyola and CH simply have too many kids to allow a ton of multiple sport athletes. If you go to those schools they ask kids to "focus" on one sport. It saves a roster spot and gives more kids in the school a chance to participate in a sport. I am not a fan of that, but I totally understand why they do it. Good to have more kids involved, I guess.

Completely false statement about Loyola! My son is a 2 sport athlete and is encourage to continue to play both.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very few lacrosse players are athletes, true dual or 3x sports. They focus on one sport and only one.
The boys are afraid to compete at a higher level in other sports because they don't want to get their buts handed to them so they play down.
Sound familar....HOLDBACKS.... If you want to beat your chest in Lacrosse and tell us how good you are please at least compete at the same level in other sports

Lacrosse has its place among the sports world. For years it was the sport for the decent white athlete who couldn't compete against the 5 Star athletes.

Now, the sport has branched out and lacrosse does have some better athletes, still not even close to the true 5 star athletes, but where else is a 5-10 white guy going to compete and tell us how good he is.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there a reason this forum has gone back to the stone age with its forums

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Completely false statement about Loyola! My son is a 2 sport athlete and is encourage to continue to play both.

Truth. I have 3 boys there now. There are a bunch of lax guys playing f-ball, soccer and even volleyball. Wrestling, b-ball, too. The boys are encouraged to be multi-sport but, of course, those that aren't playing a Fall sport will play in their Fall Ball activities. This site has so much BS disinformation about all of the local schools. Buncha trolls...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New England West here - this forum YET ANOTHER reason why we're glad we aren't you guys.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's the opposite of what happened to us.
My son goes to Loyola and was a starter for an winning HoCo AA lax team throughout middle school. He also plays ECNL soccer and it's his favorite sport.
He was told before tryouts he should "probably focus more on soccer" by the soccer coach. He didn't want to give up lacrosse. So he tried out for f/s lacrosse and was surprisingly cut.
Kids on his club lax team (who were behind him on the depth chart, and a couple who didn't play at all) made the team.
I know of at least one other family that had a similar experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son goes to Loyola and was a starter for an winning HoCo AA lax team throughout middle school. He also plays ECNL soccer and it's his favorite sport.
He was told before tryouts he should "probably focus more on soccer" by the soccer coach. He didn't want to give up lacrosse. So he tried out for f/s lacrosse and was surprisingly cut.
Kids on his club lax team (who were behind him on the depth chart, and a couple who didn't play at all) made the team.

This sounds more like a talent issue - kids develop differently and just bc they were behind your kid in middle school doesn’t mean that won’t change as they hit the HS years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your son was cut from the Loyola F/S team he had no business playing lacrosse...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your son was cut from the Loyola F/S team he had no business playing lacrosse...

Not true, he was a starter for his HOCO AA team lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you're a hammerhead tough guy... they're kids

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, at Loyola we are "Men" for others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not true, he was a starter for his HOCO AA team lol
In the HOCO club league, AA is the 4th division. There's Elite, AAAA, AAA, and then AA. Starting for a 4th division club team hardly seems like a guarantee of playing anywhere.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

700 boys on campus = "male enrollment not substantial." Yeah OK.

Loyola and CHC are not trying to "make spots" for kids to "participate." What are you even talking about.

At the varsity level of the sports that cut players (football, basketball, lax, soccer, baseball), yes, some kids will be asked to focus but most will not. The schools carry large rosters in every sport and many students play 2 sports through 10th and in some cases 11th and 12th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Honestly it sounds like your son was on the bubble in both sports, and the coaches thought enough of him to coordinate and push in my the direction where he'd be more likely to have success (or where the school "needs" him)

Loyola usually keeps 110-ish of 125-150 boys who try out for the 3 lax teams. (CHC is similar, keeping about 95 of 125 on a roster). Honestly I would guess that soccer is more competitive at either school, because a) more kids play it, b) the varsity roster is smaller.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

McD has about 300 or less boys in the upper school - you're looking at numbers for K-12

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

McD has about 300 or less boys in the upper school - you're looking at numbers for K-12

It's not like some schools have 10,000 kids and others have 7. All of the "major" varsity coaches have jobs on the line and if they have to split a kid's time who is a serious contributor, they will and often do.......up to a point.

Looking at these numbers, I think it's actually impressive that the smaller schools are often dominant, it means that if you have 300 upper school boys, and you're MIAA-A, roughly 1/3 of the student body plays lax for the school (at some level). If you are a fan of the sport, that is just really cool. And I think these numbers point out that if you are CHC, LB, or Spalding, there is absolutely no reason for you to be finishing last in any MIAA sport. Ever.

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Loyola has 650-750 in the upper school, as high as 775 in 2021 I believe.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
John Carroll has 350 (boys).
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
St. Mary's has 250, sometimes fewer.
McD had 330 in 2021.

McD is not on some island of "Oh my gosh, how do they do it with so little!" But again, shame on the bigger schools for getting beat by these squads relatively frequently. LB's record this year definitely stands out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's not like some schools have 10,000 kids and others have 7. All of the "major" varsity coaches have jobs on the line and if they have to split a kid's time who is a serious contributor, they will and often do.......up to a point.

Looking at these numbers, I think it's actually impressive that the smaller schools are often dominant, it means that if you have 300 upper school boys, and you're MIAA-A, roughly 1/3 of the student body plays lax for the school (at some level). If you are a fan of the sport, that is just really cool. And I think these numbers point out that if you are CHC, LB, or Spalding, there is absolutely no reason for you to be finishing last in any MIAA sport. Ever.

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

McD is not on some island of "Oh my gosh, how do they do it with so little!" But again, shame on the bigger schools for getting beat by these squads relatively frequently. LB's record this year definitely stands out.

It is not how many kids you have, it is what club you align with. McD has the T91MD owners kids. Boys Latin has Crabs. StM has Hawks. Calvert Hall has FCA. The schools need to keep the club owners happy and the club owners need to keep the pipeline of quality kids flowing. Everyone else is fighting for scraps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very few lacrosse players are athletes, true dual or 3x sports. They focus on one sport and only one.
The boys are afraid to compete at a higher level in other sports because they don't want to get their buts handed to them so they play down.
Sound familar....HOLDBACKS.... If you want to beat your chest in Lacrosse and tell us how good you are please at least compete at the same level in other sports

Lacrosse has its place among the sports world. For years it was the sport for the decent white athlete who couldn't compete against the 5 Star athletes.

Now, the sport has branched out and lacrosse does have some better athletes, still not even close to the true 5 star athletes, but where else is a 5-10 white guy going to compete and tell us how good he is.

Bottom line - people will find the sport where they have opportunities that match up with their abilities. There is always golf and baseball further down on the required athletic abilities list.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually, at Loyola we are "Men" for others.
Under the current regime it’s “Meh” for others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bottom line - people will find the sport where they have opportunities that match up with their abilities. There is always golf and baseball further down on the required athletic abilities list.

Right. That’s why lacrosse and it’s superior athletes earn so much more than golfers and baseballl players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

It is not how many kids you have, it is what club you align with. McD has the T91MD owners kids. Boys Latin has Crabs. StM has PROSTART. Calvert Hall has FCA. The schools need to keep the club owners happy and the club owners need to keep the pipeline of quality kids flowing. Everyone else is fighting for scraps.

Made a correction for you on your feeders

Other than MM kids teams 91MD is [Censored]

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Right. That’s why lacrosse and it’s superior athletes earn so much more than golfers and baseballl players.

You've had one too many Ranch Waters on the Back Nine if you realistically think more than 3-4 current high school lax players in MD will ever be professional lax players. Actually you've had too many Grapefruit Crushes if you think any kid you know will go pro in any sport.

Baseball in MD is a joke compared to baseball programs throughout the entire south, especially FL and TX. The odds of a MD HS baseball player getting an MLB contract is along the order of 1/100 of 1 percent. In FL and TX it's about 1 percent.

As for golf, a sport which often doesn't have cuts at MIAA schools, there are roughly 300,000 HS players and 50 pros on tour. I'll let you crunch the numbers on that one.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You've had one too many Ranch Waters on the Back Nine if you realistically think more than 3-4 current high school lax players in MD will ever be professional lax players. Actually you've had too many Grapefruit Crushes if you think any kid you know will go pro in any sport.

Baseball in MD is a joke compared to baseball programs throughout the entire south, especially FL and TX. The odds of a MD HS baseball player getting an MLB contract is along the order of 1/100 of 1 percent. In FL and TX it's about 1 percent.

As for golf, a sport which often doesn't have cuts at MIAA schools, there are roughly 300,000 HS players and 50 pros on tour. I'll let you crunch the numbers on that one.

Way to make a long worthless off topic post.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

You have this totally wrong. Starting with BL-the school only participates in a few A conference sports. There are several sports that they don't even field a team for and the rest of the sports they play in B conference.. They pick & choose, while the larger student bodies you mention(CHC, LB, Spalding & you forgot MSJ all play A) So the school is really all about lax as we know. Kids are bought lock stock & barrel-most of roster never sees the field however. McD, John Carroll(Football is B) & Gilman all play A conference sports. StM, StP & Severn are the carpet baggers that that are allowed to play A lax and B in everything else. So when you come on here and say the larger schools should never finish last, lets put all of these schools that are in A lax in the A conference for ALL sports and see who finishes last. Because you have more students, not mean all play sports. Furthermore, those school are trying to compete in A in just about every sport offered-filling many teams. Some smaller schools are sports academies with a school next door....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Way to make a long worthless off topic post.

Way to belabor it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BL uses lacrosse to fill admissions seats. Don't discount their approach because it's worked extremely well for them. St. Mary's is a parish school which has a similar (lacrosse wise) niche (to BL) in AA County. McD's model is different. They try and recruit the best multi-sport athletes available and are super competitive in almost all of the A Conference sports. Since they are filling so few male slots in 9th grade, they suffer from an ongoing lack of depth across most sports. CHC and MSJ are perennial juggernauts in the A Conference across almost every sport with exception being the Gael Lacrosse Program. For whatever reason MSJ has had issues attracting enough great lacrosse players to be a playoff contender. Loyola just re-joined the A Conference in football and is looking to re-gain its once held prominence in lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

You have this totally wrong. Starting with BL-the school only participates in a few A conference sports. There are several sports that they don't even field a team for and the rest of the sports they play in B conference.. They pick & choose, while the larger student bodies you mention(CHC, LB, Spalding & you forgot MSJ all play A) So the school is really all about lax as we know. Kids are bought lock stock & barrel-most of roster never sees the field however. McD, John Carroll(Football is B) & Gilman all play A conference sports. StM, StP & Severn are the carpet baggers that that are allowed to play A lax and B in everything else. So when you come on here and say the larger schools should never finish last, lets put all of these schools that are in A lax in the A conference for ALL sports and see who finishes last. Because you have more students, not mean all play sports. Furthermore, those school are trying to compete in A in just about every sport offered-filling many teams. Some smaller schools are sports academies with a school next door....
Loyola plays B conference football. Loyola lost to St. Mary's in football last year. Loyola beat A conference champ Calvert Hall in football last year. None of this has anything to do with lacrosse. Next you'll be talking about which robotics team competes in the top competitions or who has the best It's Academic squad. This is a lacrosse board and your retort to the bigger schools should be better at lacrosse is to say that the smaller schools should be better at all other sports? Strange.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

Loyola plays B conference football. Loyola lost to St. Mary's in football last year. Loyola beat A conference champ Calvert Hall in football last year. None of this has anything to do with lacrosse. Next you'll be talking about which robotics team competes in the top competitions or who has the best It's Academic squad. This is a lacrosse board and your retort to the bigger schools should be better at lacrosse is to say that the smaller schools should be better at all other sports? Strange.

FYI,
LB is playing in the A conference for the 2022 season. I think the comment about smaller schools having success in lax requires a conversation about MIAA sports in general and why that occurs vs. all sports played and the level they are played at. There is a reasons behind success or lack of that should be explored when a comment is made about big school vs. small. There is more to it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

FYI,
LB is playing in the A conference for the 2022 season. I think the comment about smaller schools having success in lax requires a conversation about MIAA sports in general and why that occurs vs. all sports played and the level they are played at. There is a reasons behind success or lack of that should be explored when a comment is made about big school vs. small. There is more to it.

Loyola (1200 boys, A conference FB aspirations) lost to StM (250 boys, solidly B conference for FB) two of the last three years. Draw your own conclusions from that but it is a legit datapoint.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With less than 12 hours until the 2024 class can commit, any predictions and or who’s going to go where? Who’s likely to commit with in 24-48 hours after the midnight mark?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Legit data? Loyola doesn't have close to 1200 boys in both the MS and HS. More like 700-750 in HS. And Loyola is playing FB in A conference this year. Sun has them ranked 5th in preseason rankings. But this is a lacrosse forum, not FB.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

FYI,

Loyola (1200 boys, A conference FB aspirations) lost to StM (250 boys, solidly B conference for FB) two of the last three years. Draw your own conclusions from that but it is a legit datapoint.

Except that Loyola's 900-950 boys (not 1200) cover 6th-12th grade. So much for legit data points.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The big boys:
CHC has 1200.
Spalding has 600 (boys)

The Rest:
Gilman has 450
BL has 300.
St. Pauls has 310.
McD had 330 in 2021.

FYI,

Except that Loyola's 900-950 boys (not 1200) cover 6th-12th grade. So much for legit data points.

Ok, let’s try it again…

Loyola (750 boys, A conference FB aspirations) lost to StM (250 boys, solidly B conference for FB) two of the last three years. Draw your own conclusions from that but it is a legit datapoint.

Happy now, Don Nation?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
750 in the hs is a ton of boys. They should be at the top of most sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sure. Happy now that LB football has been built back up. The past is over. Money was raised and recruiting is paying off. Lax is looking good now as well. Have you seen the new fields? We'll be eating the Saints ' lunch in lax within 2 years and you wouldn't touch us in FB if you move up to A.

Like Reply Quote
Page 235 of 323 1 2 233 234 235 236 237 322 323
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard