BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted!! PWant FILLED REGISTRATIONS, REAL SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS for you? Contact us! | Be Part of Our Intriguing Newsletter List and Our Elite Community: Influence & Network with U.S. based Laxers!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30
Re: Girls 2024-11th Grade Fall 2022/Summer 2023
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My daughter went to two camps and played just okay at both. Wasn’t prepared for the ball hogging. One of the schools called Sept 1 and wrote a letter. She was probably the 2nd or third choice. Their first choice committed so that was that. The other school never contacted her, but several other much better lacrosse and academic schools did. She was offered official visits at 5 schools that people told us only recruit from camps, so that was a bit of a surprise. My daughter did email these schools regularly to express interest, so maybe that was a factor. She eventually committed to what was her first choice, so everything worked out. I would say that you really can’t listen to what other people tell you, because recruiting is different for everyone. These coaches are looking for very specific things, and you don’t know who may have been watching when your daughter caught their eye. My advice is to keep emailing the top 10 choices, have your club director reach out to the schools. Prioritize schools and try to set up visits in that order if possible (sometimes its, not which becomes tricky) If your daughter gets an offer at one of her top three, take it, because if you don’t it may be gone!

Thank you for the post. A question regarding the emails. My daughter is a 2024 and she has been emailing about 15 schools regularly. The emails are basically updates on highlight videos, where her team is playing during tournament season, attending prospect camps and she sent an email regarding her school transcripts. Are there other emails she should be sending?
Thanks

You are definitely doing the right thing! Keep saying that the school is your daughters first or top 3 choice. Maybe add something about the school and how she sees her self fitting in. Ultimately, if they want her they will call even if you don’t do any of that. When the coaches she’s interested she contact your daughter, be extremely proactive in setting up the visit asap. When you are there, as a parent, be a little bit of a salesman. explain how your daughter will help the program, let them know they’re several other schools interested in her. Tell them why they need your daughter. Be knowledgeable about the current players and strengths and weaknesses of the program. With my daughter we had a good idea of who would call based on sports recruits hits, but there were a few surprises. Don’t rule anything out, and don’t appear desperate. If possible try to see a few schools before you decide, my daughter committed to the 5th school she visited which was a risk that worked out for us, but I don’t know if I would recommend that. If you see a bunch of schools, you definitely get a better idea of where she will fit in best. Good luck to all!

--- "When you are there, as a parent, be a little bit of a salesman. explain how your daughter will help the program, let them know they’re several other schools interested in her. Tell them why they need your daughter. Be knowledgeable about the current players and strengths and weaknesses of the program." ----

Telling is not selling... and if you think college coaches want your opinion on how your daughter will help their program or why they "need" your daughter you are delusional. Coaches do not want the opinion of parents when it comes to their program, their players or of the parents daughter.

Why? Because you said so? Worked out pretty well for us. Immediate offers from 5/5 official visits. But of course, you do you.

How about your daughter received offers due to the obvious fact (if you are being truthful) that the college coaches watched your daughter play and they liked what they saw, they believed that your daughter could help their program compete and they believed that your daughter would be a good fit.

Agree that college coaches could care less about the lacrosse related opinions of parents whether those opinions are of the parents child or the coaches program.

Last edited by Team BOTC; . Reason: Omitted words as it goes against our community standards
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have details on the Inside Lacrosse Midnight Mania? Invite says 88 girls 7pm-midnight on 8/31 with all games streaming. Apparently they had a boys event the past few years. Sounds alot like that BS Juniors Open event. Anyone have more info? IL also hosts the Elite 8 so that takes out a bunch girls from the equation.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Empire bengals “A” team ranked 100 behind YJ D team and Top
Guns B team. What happened to this team? Didn’t they used to be a stronger group?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ O'Sullivan being ranked that low is a joke. they didn't play any fall tournaments due to CR & YJ policies of mixing the teams and limiting the number of girls that can play in the fall. There are a lot ot good girls on that team who should be getting looks from schools but aren't cause of the ranking IMO

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone have details on the Inside Lacrosse Midnight Mania? Invite says 88 girls 7pm-midnight on 8/31 with all games streaming. Apparently they had a boys event the past few years. Sounds alot like that BS Juniors Open event. Anyone have more info? IL also hosts the Elite 8 so that takes out a bunch girls from the equation.

It sounds like this event is replacing the Elite 8 that was played last year on August 31 for the 2023 age group.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ O'Sullivan being ranked that low is a joke. they didn't play any fall tournaments due to CR & YJ policies of mixing the teams and limiting the number of girls that can play in the fall. There are a lot ot good girls on that team who should be getting looks from schools but aren't cause of the ranking IMO

Colleges don’t look at the rankings. They watch good teams. That’s why they aren’t getting looks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Teams didn’t sign up for Elite 8. No benefit to top teams. They want to be home waiting for midnight instead of throwing money away and traveling to Maryland on a week night.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Colleges don’t look at the rankings. They watch good teams. That’s why they aren’t getting looks.

Facts. If you were a good team playing good teams they’d watch. Plenty of teams in the area who took risks and played hard teams and their rankings weren’t great but they got a heaping of looks because of their schedule - Ramos is a great example of this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Facts. If you were a good team playing good teams they’d watch. Plenty of teams in the area who took risks and played hard teams and their rankings weren’t great but they got a heaping of looks because of their schedule - Ramos is a great example of this

So true. O’Sullivan parents needed to demand better division playing at tournaments. Play some better teams. If they can’t do it in same tourneys as the other 3 YJ/24 teams, they should have been at different tournaments.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard they canceled the Midnight Mania event too.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I heard they canceled the Midnight Mania event too.

It is confirmed that it is canceled. We received an email a few hours ago. It was based on insufficient registration and club coach feedback. Not sure who they were expecting to attend anyway. I can't imagine any college coaches had any interest at all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a question. Is it better for your daughter to play on a top 10 team playing other top ranked teams every week? Or is your daughter better off being the best player on a second / third bracket team where she never comes off the field?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So true. O’Sullivan parents needed to demand better division playing at tournaments. Play some better teams. If they can’t do it in same tourneys as the other 3 YJ/24 teams, they should have been at different tournaments.

What are you saying? Look who Kildare played this summer (and fall!) with the exception to a single tournament they has a TERRIBLE lineup all summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What are you saying? Look who Kildare played this summer (and fall!) with the exception to a single tournament they has a TERRIBLE lineup all summer.

Yes. Not enough brackets for 4 YJ teams to play in competitive games! If I were Kildare kids or O’Sullivan kids, I would be very disappointed after this past summer and the competition.

They either need to go to different tournaments to play top brackets or figure out how to get them some competition. A lot of games were blowouts and a complete waste of time this summer. I don’t think coaches want to sit and watch that? It benefits no one. Tourney Directors need to do a better job in scheduling. Especially in a recruiting year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your director requests their level. Put 2 teams in highest bracket and 2 more in 2nd highest. There are 5 levels. Blame your club only.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes. Not enough brackets for 4 YJ teams to play in competitive games! If I were Kildare kids or O’Sullivan kids, I would be very disappointed after this past summer and the competition.

They either need to go to different tournaments to play top brackets or figure out how to get them some competition. A lot of games were blowouts and a complete waste of time this summer. I don’t think coaches want to sit and watch that? It benefits no one. Tourney Directors need to do a better job in scheduling. Especially in a recruiting year.

Unfortunately it’s too late now. Sept 1 is days away. Some of you should have stopped drinking YJ Koolaid a couple years ago and got your daughters on TG, Jesters or Legacy. Only YJ A team girls go to the best programs, with a few very rare exceptions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How well attended were the weekends prospects days? Who is having events this weekend?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree that in the past mostly "A" girls went to top programs. However, the current A team has seen no movement since the pandemic. There are girls on all teams who could be on that "A" team and are simply better players than girls on the current team . College Coaches are there to assess the talent. Lets see what they have to say September 1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How well attended were the weekends prospects days? Who is having events this weekend?

About 70 24s at Notre Dame and 55 at Michigan.

The Notre Dame prospect day was completely stacked -- the championship game could have easily been a top 15 college game.

I counted 41 UA 150 girls from the team sheets.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a question. Is it better for your daughter to play on a top 10 team playing other top ranked teams every week? Or is your daughter better off being the best player on a second / third bracket team where she never comes off the field?

Assuming she gets regular playing time at her preferred position then the first option by far.

if she is a middle who is playing mostly attack or defense on the top team, then I'd lean towards the second option.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What schools are having prospect days this weekend? Good luck to all going.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Duke, UVA, Syracuse, Ohio State, and Vanderbilt. Probably a few more I'm missing

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter went to two camps and played just okay at both. Wasn’t prepared for the ball hogging. One of the schools called Sept 1 and wrote a letter. She was probably the 2nd or third choice. Their first choice committed so that was that. The other school never contacted her, but several other much better lacrosse and academic schools did. She was offered official visits at 5 schools that people told us only recruit from camps, so that was a bit of a surprise. My daughter did email these schools regularly to express interest, so maybe that was a factor. She eventually committed to what was her first choice, so everything worked out. I would say that you really can’t listen to what other people tell you, because recruiting is different for everyone. These coaches are looking for very specific things, and you don’t know who may have been watching when your daughter caught their eye. My advice is to keep emailing the top 10 choices, have your club director reach out to the schools. Prioritize schools and try to set up visits in that order if possible (sometimes its, not which becomes tricky) If your daughter gets an offer at one of her top three, take it, because if you don’t it may be gone!

Thank you for the post. A question regarding the emails. My daughter is a 2024 and she has been emailing about 15 schools regularly. The emails are basically updates on highlight videos, where her team is playing during tournament season, attending prospect camps and she sent an email regarding her school transcripts. Are there other emails she should be sending?
Thanks

You are definitely doing the right thing! Keep saying that the school is your daughters first or top 3 choice. Maybe add something about the school and how she sees her self fitting in. Ultimately, if they want her they will call even if you don’t do any of that. When the coaches she’s interested she contact your daughter, be extremely proactive in setting up the visit asap. When you are there, as a parent, be a little bit of a salesman. explain how your daughter will help the program, let them know they’re several other schools interested in her. Tell them why they need your daughter. Be knowledgeable about the current players and strengths and weaknesses of the program. With my daughter we had a good idea of who would call based on sports recruits hits, but there were a few surprises. Don’t rule anything out, and don’t appear desperate. If possible try to see a few schools before you decide, my daughter committed to the 5th school she visited which was a risk that worked out for us, but I don’t know if I would recommend that. If you see a bunch of schools, you definitely get a better idea of where she will fit in best. Good luck to all!

--- "When you are there, as a parent, be a little bit of a salesman. explain how your daughter will help the program, let them know they’re several other schools interested in her. Tell them why they need your daughter. Be knowledgeable about the current players and strengths and weaknesses of the program." ----

Telling is not selling... and if you think college coaches want your opinion on how your daughter will help their program or why they "need" your daughter you are delusional. Coaches do not want the opinion of parents when it comes to their program, their players or of the parents daughter.

Why? Because you said so? Worked out pretty well for us. Immediate offers from 5/5 official visits. But of course, you do you.

How about your daughter received offers due to the obvious fact (if you are being truthful) that the college coaches watched your daughter play and they liked what they saw, they believed that your daughter could help their program compete and they believed that your daughter would be a good fit.

Agree that college coaches could care less about the lacrosse related opinions of parents whether those opinions are of the parents child or the coaches program.

I think the author is 100% correct, most college coaches make their decisions based on what the parents of the athletes think is best for their teams. Very little consideration is given to the actual athlete themselves or their body of work.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agree, hearing that the new trend is to exclusively invite parents to school visits and have the student athletes stay home. While this may seem surprising to some, I know for a fact that D1 coaches have been waiting patiently all summer, listening to loud, vocal parents screaming on the sideline, and this is now their opportunity to learn from the experts in forming their recruiting class. They also want to hear what these same parents think about the other candidates they are considering offering, especially those on a rival club team. Like Nick Saban once said - trust this process. I'm certain this new format will result in championship caliber teams across all D1 ranks and equitable treatment among all recruits.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do we think Long Island has the #1 recruit this year ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

About 70 24s at Notre Dame and 55 at Michigan.

The Notre Dame prospect day was completely stacked -- the championship game could have easily been a top 15 college game.

I counted 41 UA 150 girls from the team sheets.

How do you know who are UA150 girls from the sheets?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
USC camp as well this weekend.

The Michigan camp was also stacked; not sure how many UA150s overall but my daughter's group of 20 had 3 commits, 3 M&D Blacks as well as several Hero's Green and Capital Blue. My guess is that many from the Michigan camp went to ND the next day.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For parents who have been through the recruiting process before, I was curious as to how often kids on the "second tier" list eventually get offers? I realize probably never for a UNC/BC/MD level school; but what about a #10-30 ranked program? Like many 2024 kids/parents we are pretty anxious right now but wanted to be prepared for what to expect on Thursday and beyond. Thanks in advance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also for veteran recruiting parents: if a college coach initiate a call to speak to your daughter's club/high school coach prior to 9/1, does that typically result in a phone call directly to your child in early Sept?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This 24 watchlist by long island lax journal is yet another joke. Theyre jsut trying to drum up supporters to buy into more of their overpriced events which sport no coaches, GREEDY.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, and there are only about 2-3 5 star recruits

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There is probably multiple “#1” recruits throughout the country. Depends on what a college is looking for. How do you define #1? Kind of hard to define that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For parents who have been through the recruiting process before, I was curious as to how often kids on the "second tier" list eventually get offers? I realize probably never for a UNC/BC/MD level school; but what about a #10-30 ranked program? Like many 2024 kids/parents we are pretty anxious right now but wanted to be prepared for what to expect on Thursday and beyond. Thanks in advance.

I think you have to realize that the recruiting process is unique to every athlete and school. Not all top recruits want to go to UNC/BC. Some want a very top academic school, some want to experience a different part of the country. For example, If you look at the past top recruits out of LI, like the Miller sisters, the both chose California schools, but could have gone anywhere they wanted. I think school like UVA, Duke, Northwestern, and ND offer those top academics as well as great lacrosse and are more attractive to many than a MD or UNC for those reasons. And some top girls want IVY for obvious reasons as well. So, if you take last year’s recruiting class as an example, schools like UNC/BC/MD will commit a few standouts within the first few weeks, but then you will see them commit a bunch or much lower ranked players from October to December. No school gets all the players they want.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So who is the number one recruit if not from LI?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you referring to a specific "second tier" "list"? Not sure exactly what you are asking.

10 - 30? That's a broad range, # 10 is a lot closer to Top 5 than Top 30....

No need to to be anxious, none of it is in your or your daughters control. The college coaches will go after and make offers to the players that they believe will help their program.

The majority of the Top 10-20 programs will be going after the same athletes on September 1st. Many other programs will also be trying to get the top players as well but it is the exception to the rule when non traditional Top 20 programs lands top talent.

Parents and players will finally find out where the player stands in relation to the rest of the 2024 class. Again, no need to be anxious, most of this process is beyond your (your daughters) control at this point. Just make sure the coaches at the schools that your daughter would like to go to are aware of her interest. Coaches want players who want to be there, if the coach has your daughter lumped in with 20 - 30 or more other players they will take the players who express a sincere desire to attend their school and play for their program over the kid who is indifferent.

The Top Players will pretty much be able to choose whatever school they want and when you look at the traditional Top 10 - 20 Programs those schools offer some incredible opportunities. IMHO, that is why there is not much parity in this sport, the top players rarely choose to go outside the traditional powers. The top recruits have a diverse group of excellent academic / athletic schools to choose from.... Take a look at the list below... why would a "top tier" student athlete choose a school outside of the list below? The reality is that the majority do not go outside the traditional powers.

Boston College
Maryland
North Carolina
Northwestern
Syracuse
Stony Brook
Princeton
Virginia
Florida
Penn
Notre Dame
JMU
Penn State
Duke
Loyola
Stanford
USC
Hopkins
UMass

The following have been in the mix as well in recent years:

Denver
Michigan
Arizona St

Navy offers an incredible opportunity for those who are interested in that commitment.

Clemson will be knocking on the door quickly.

Vanderbilt should stat to be a little better on a more consistent basis.

No disrespect to any program not listed... just rattled these off the top of my head. Just seems that the vast majority of the best players choose to go many of the schools listed above every year.

Obviously, the Top 5 - 10 programs get the lions share of the top players every year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Also for veteran recruiting parents: if a college coach initiate a call to speak to your daughter's club/high school coach prior to 9/1, does that typically result in a phone call directly to your child in early Sept?

Expressed interest to
Club does not mean they will call. expressed interest could
Mean they’re second tier on their list or #1 on their list. Do not expect a call from all 20 schools that told your coach or recruiting coordinator they liked your kid

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well if there are the same 5 kids from ct schools want, once they commit the school goes to their 6th, then 7th, and so on. It really depends where the top players land and then other spots open. Also should recognize schools are taking 5-12 kids usually. 12 is a HUGE class. They may only need 2 attackers, so even if their number one choice goes elsewhere that only leaves one spot open to the next best kid

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So who is the number one recruit if not from LI?

That is normally done by Inside Lacrosse. They will rank the girls. They now just do 5 stars for the best of the best. That willl happen after the commitments fall. Last year the Grizzlies attacker was ranked # 1 and a believe 2 or 3 LI girls were 5 star recruits.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you referring to a specific "second tier" "list"? Not sure exactly what you are asking.

10 - 30? That's a broad range, # 10 is a lot closer to Top 5 than Top 30....

No need to to be anxious, none of it is in your or your daughters control. The college coaches will go after and make offers to the players that they believe will help their program.

The majority of the Top 10-20 programs will be going after the same athletes on September 1st. Many other programs will also be trying to get the top players as well but it is the exception to the rule when non traditional Top 20 programs lands top talent.

Parents and players will finally find out where the player stands in relation to the rest of the 2024 class. Again, no need to be anxious, most of this process is beyond your (your daughters) control at this point. Just make sure the coaches at the schools that your daughter would like to go to are aware of her interest. Coaches want players who want to be there, if the coach has your daughter lumped in with 20 - 30 or more other players they will take the players who express a sincere desire to attend their school and play for their program over the kid who is indifferent.

The Top Players will pretty much be able to choose whatever school they want and when you look at the traditional Top 10 - 20 Programs those schools offer some incredible opportunities. IMHO, that is why there is not much parity in this sport, the top players rarely choose to go outside the traditional powers. The top recruits have a diverse group of excellent academic / athletic schools to choose from.... Take a look at the list below... why would a "top tier" student athlete choose a school outside of the list below? The reality is that the majority do not go outside the traditional powers.

Boston College
Maryland
North Carolina
Northwestern
Syracuse
Stony Brook
Princeton
Virginia
Florida
Penn
Notre Dame
JMU
Penn State
Duke
Loyola
Stanford
USC
Hopkins
UMass

The following have been in the mix as well in recent years:

Denver
Michigan
Arizona St

Navy offers an incredible opportunity for those who are interested in that commitment.

Clemson will be knocking on the door quickly.

Vanderbilt should stat to be a little better on a more consistent basis.

No disrespect to any program not listed... just rattled these off the top of my head. Just seems that the vast majority of the best players choose to go many of the schools listed above every year.

Obviously, the Top 5 - 10 programs get the lions share of the top players every year.

While I agree with some of what you say. UMass over Michigan is strange. Nobody I know would choose UMass over Mich. And Clemson should already be on that list, considering the commits they have. You could also include Rutgers who has vastly improved.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope she’s on the CT Grizzlies

Page 5 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard